krystal and white castles

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
avidreader
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2004/09/15 16:18:56 (permalink)

krystal and white castles

hi. has anyone eaten both krystal and white castle burgers? any thoughts on which is better? how far have you driven for a krystal? thnx.

44 Replies Related Threads

Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/15 17:02:59 (permalink)
    I've never been in an area which has had both places. I like both, but am partial to Krystal since I live in the South. Haven't had a WC for several years but wouldn't turn them down. I do not like the frozen versions available in the grocery. If, however, I have access to a roadfood-type place - Krystal or White Castle take a back seat.
    Buckshot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/15 18:45:16 (permalink)
    Not much difference in the two burgers as long as they both have mustard and pickles. Taste pretty much the same. I grew up with Krystals in East Tennessee, but when traveling in the northern states, I stop at White Castle to get my "fix".

Buckshot
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18642
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/15 20:17:07 (permalink)
    I've had both, unfortunately. I've eaten White Castles for many years and have never had any problems. The only time I ever ate Krystals I got sick and my wife got sick. Never again.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/15 23:57:28 (permalink)
    I live in Whitey's hood, but I occasionally like to travel to the other side of the tracks to get a Krystal fix. The nearest Krystal to me is in Georgetown, Kentucky. That's a little far to drive just for a car that smells like a sweatsock the next day, but I make it a point to do Krystal whenever I head south.
    BTW, today is my 42nd birthday, which means that I'm pretty close to my 40th anniversary as a White Castles eater.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/16 03:38:16 (permalink)
    Nashville has both. I prefer WC, mostly due to the jalapeno cheeseburger.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/16 09:35:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Buckshot

Not much difference in the two burgers as long as they both have mustard and pickles. Taste pretty much the same. I grew up with Krystals in East Tennessee, but when traveling in the northern states, I stop at White Castle to get my "fix".

Buckshot

Are you sure about the mustard on the WCs? I don't remember that at all. Just onions, burger and roll is what I remember. But there is mustard on a Krystal burger.

BTW, I most definitely prefer a WC over a Krystal.

John
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18642
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/16 11:17:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

quote:
    Originally posted by Buckshot

Buckshot

Are you sure about the mustard on the WCs? I don't remember that at all. Just onions, burger and roll is what I remember. But there is mustard on a Krystal burger.

BTW, I most definitely prefer a WC over a Krystal.

John

I always ask for mustard on my Castles. They don't put it on automatically here in the Columbus area.
    Buckshot
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/16 17:03:18 (permalink)
    Regarding mustard on White Castles, I always got a sackfull to go and asked for packs of mustard!!!

Buckshot
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/16 22:54:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Nashville has both. I prefer WC, mostly due to the jalapeno cheeseburger.

Krystal has one now also.
    avidreader
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/17 12:22:58 (permalink)
    thanks all.that's a big help.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/17 20:02:44 (permalink)
    White Castle used to have Mustard and Ketchup only on request. I know they mixed mustard and ketchup together in one squeeze bottle if you requested both.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/20 18:03:05 (permalink)
    Nashville is one of the few cities to have both chains. Anybody know of other cities that have both?
    I like both varieties, but I gre up on WC's so I think I probably like them better, for sentimental reasons. Living in Knoxville I can only get Krystals.

carl reitz
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/20 19:05:27 (permalink)
    I saw on TV today that Krystal is opening 14-16 units in Texas. It appears that some of the sites will be in Austin. Just what Bushie needs.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/20 20:10:22 (permalink)
    Kyrstal is southern version of White Castle. Krystal has mustard as condiment by default. WC, on the other hand & from what I have heard, has catsup. Go figure; seems it should be opposite. Haven't eaten at a WC in a long time now. BTW, didn't WC evolve from "Royal Castle"? Whatever and in my opinion, a sack of Krystal CB's can't be beaten for a snack while traveling, especially on the interstate rat race...
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/20 21:06:47 (permalink)

Adjudicator, Royal Castle was probably a separate chain: they
    did put out a set of trading cards back in 1967 for the expansion
    Miami Dolphins (anyone remember Rick Petrick as the starting QB?);
    but they'll live on in "Goldfinger" with the scene where Oddjob
    is driving to the scrapyard (passes by a Royal Castle, and I think
    that particular scene was filmed in Miami....)
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/20 23:47:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

White Castle used to have Mustard and Ketchup only on request. I know they mixed mustard and ketchup together in one squeeze bottle if you requested both.

That would be too cool! Our Whitey's in the Cincy area come with only onion and pickles. In fact, I've never had anything other than that on my Whitey's. I like the mustard on the Krystal burgers and I've been known to eat both mustard and ketchup on my skillet scabs at WC.
    carlton pierre
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/21 15:43:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Kyrstal is southern version of White Castle. Krystal has mustard as condiment by default. WC, on the other hand & from what I have heard, has catsup. Go figure; seems it should be opposite. Haven't eaten at a WC in a long time now. BTW, didn't WC evolve from "Royal Castle"? Whatever and in my opinion, a sack of Krystal CB's can't be beaten for a snack while traveling, especially on the interstate rat race...

I don't think WC has any condiment on it besides onions and the soggy dripping grease, if that counts.

carl reitz
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/21 16:34:14 (permalink)
    I just got my first White Castle "fix" in several years since I'm on a trip to Long Island NY...ketchup, onions, pickles, no mustard.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/09/22 19:46:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

I don't think WC has any condiment on it besides onions and the soggy dripping grease, if that counts.

carl reitz

"the soggy dripping grease..." Ah, you mean the "steamed in flavor"...
    ZekeTheCat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/21 17:33:25 (permalink)
    In Bowling Green Kentucky there is a Krystal and White Castle within a couple blocks of each other on the same street - on one of the I-65 exits towards the south end of bowling Green as I recall. I once went thru each's drive thru and bought several burgers for an "in car" taste test. Krystal's were OK but I definitely prefer WC's - they seem to have a unique flavor which I really like. I've been trying to replicate the flavor - so far no luck.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/21 17:51:45 (permalink)

Recently I had cause to pickup half/dozen WC Burgers and some fries in Louisville. Both McDuff and i enjoyed the consumption and the after effects of the wonderful little Burgers. We enjoyed each others company all day, but others felt that we shared an unusual amount of "extra-atmoshere". Belly Bombers and Yellow-Sliders Rule !!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 07:46:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZekeTheCat

In Bowling Green Kentucky there is a Krystal and White Castle within a couple blocks of each other on the same street - on one of the I-65 exits towards the south end of bowling Green as I recall. I once went thru each's drive thru and bought several burgers for an "in car" taste test. Krystal's were OK but I definitely prefer WC's - they seem to have a unique flavor which I really like. I've been trying to replicate the flavor - so far no luck.

Alton Brown on Good Eats did a segment on "Mini-Man Burgers", I guess trying to look like WC or Krystals. The recipe is pretty good, doesn't taste at all like the store-bought kind, but they were fun to make and eat. Check it out.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 08:55:26 (permalink)
    In Cincinnati

1) We have no Krystals, as Wallyum has already said

2) WC burgers come with onion and a rather tiny pickle slice, sometimes two. To the best of my knowlege, they never put on mustard or ketchup or any other condiment, even on request. Packets of mustard and ketchup are available in the customer area, and if you want those on your burger, you add them yourself.
    carlton pierre
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 09:01:45 (permalink)
    I love both WC & Krystal. My preference is WC and the first thing I do when going to Cincinnati is to stop at a WC and get 10 or so. Strangely enough they're also about 5 cents cheaper than Krystal.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 10:31:05 (permalink)
    Some subtle differences between WC and Krystal. It seems that WC uses a spicy mustard where Krystal uses regular mustard. Both steam their buns but Krystal steams their buns with a butter oil where WC steams with a oil but not butter. I give the edge to Krystal but it may be because I am much more familar to Krystal. WC has a better variety of choices. I am not sure that is a huge difference because most of the time when I have the opportunity to visit either, I get their burger like sandwiches.

WC has great little fish like sandwiches. I wish they would improve their tartar sauce.

Krystal use to do a great breakfast but they do not do that anymore.

The Krystal in the 8000 block of Kingston Pike burnt to the ground on 12/20/04. It was close to my ex office before I retired.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 10:45:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

The Krystal in the 8000 block of Kingston Pike burnt to the ground on 12/20/04. It was close to my ex office before I retired.

Bummer. I've eaten at that location. (It was near one of my sister-in-law's house.)

One is scheduled to open in Georgetown, TX, just north of me in February. I like White Castle better, but at least I'll have little burgers close by when I need a fix.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 643
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 19:20:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

In Cincinnati

1) We have no Krystals, as Wallyum has already said

2) WC burgers come with onion and a rather tiny pickle slice, sometimes two. To the best of my knowlege, they never put on mustard or ketchup or any other condiment, even on request. Packets of mustard and ketchup are available in the customer area, and if you want those on your burger, you add them yourself.

I cut my WC teeth in the Midwest (grew up in Illinois) and they never had anything on the burgers except the onion and pickle. Boy was I surprised to learn that all the WC's in New Jersey and New York area come with ketchup standard. You have to tell them to leave it off. Don't know where that comes from, but apparently the east coast outlets are managed differently.
    QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    carlton pierre
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 21:08:58 (permalink)
    I've never had a WC with catsup , so that's pretty interesting, and a few other people have reported that as well.
    BW
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: krystal and white castles 2004/12/22 21:37:22 (permalink)
    The biggest difference I noticed was fluffier buns at Krystal. White Castle's onion-grilled patty gets a slight edge, but the difference there wasn't as much as I would have expected. Both places are wonderful.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1