las vegas to flagstaff

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/09 08:15:21 (permalink)
Yep It is doable, but will drop the Saturday/Sunday Lake Powell and Zion leg totally. Basically it will mean-
Thursday same as before, but go directly to Flagstaff on I-40. Scout out Williams on the way east Do not turn south on 89 as in the other plan.
Friday- No changes.
Saturday go South out of Flag to Sedona and Jerome (the reverse of what you had on the other plan.) Then on to Prescott. Head south to Metro Phoenix and Scottsdale. A million motel choices in that area. Stay Saturday night there and then straight up U S 93 -very empty desert once you get out of town, back thru Prescott to I-40 West to Kingman then North to Vegas.
It is your preferences that will guide you in the decision as to which of the choices to make. It is a matter of man's creativity compared to Nature untouched The choices are quite different despite both being in the desert. I tend to be a natural beauty lover and not much on city-life, so my bias goes one way. BUT This isn't my trip. You'll enjoy either way. I don't see anyway to add Oatman to the current agenda for either choice. Maybe another time!!
Will be off-line til this evening, but will check in to see the progress.
mulb511
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/09 13:37:40 (permalink)
Quick hello at lunchtime ~
I've looked at the map, looked at my options & think that I'll stay with door #1 (i.e. the plan as mapped out previously). There's no doubt that I would enjoy the alternate trip, but the lure of the initial presentation has a hold on me. For this adventure - we're doing overnights in Las Vegas --> Flagstaff --> Page --> Las Vegas. Next time - we'll see part of what we're missing (& add baseball, fishing & more miles). I'm hoping to take lots of notes & even more pictures. I'll find out the name of the Cafe' in Seligman (if it has one) & will inform the "team" of any other gems along the way.
Am I too young to retire & spend all of my time travelling?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/09 20:45:25 (permalink)
Hey... I'm retired but to be honest. I don't want to be a full-time traveler. Having done 10 years of Summer-break roadtrips all over the country I have learned that after about 6 weeks on the road I am ready to sit still at home for about a week. My House, My Toys, My Bed, etc... But then I am ready to go again.
All this talk of the Southwest and MULB's upcoming trip really has triggered the desire for a mid-winter run to the West Coast and Back. We mapped the possible timeline and where to go places last night. Looks like a bit over three weeks, barring weather delays. Experience has taught us to budget about $100 a day for days when we will NOT be using motels (mooching from family and friends) and about $175 when lodging must be included. This does not include any unusual activities or events like riding the Grand Canyon RailRoad...or Buying a dressed hog to roast at Bushie's.
When we first got together Janet had never been out of SoCal, except to Vegas. I loved those trips, even if I had been to our destination before... I could see it thru her eyes and that has been fun. Now that she has mastered the navigation and planning skills,our trips are a super "Unifing Effort".
We retired in 2000. Jan has been working full-time...and I have taught one class a semester at the State College near here. That ended recently when we decided we don't need her income as bad as we need the flexibility of time together.So she went to a Per-Diem Nursing job and I dropped the Spring Term Class. That means we can go for as long as we can stand it if we want to. It is that sense of freedom that makes the choosing of timing and destination so great.
Recognizing that we all have different taste and style when it comes to travel, I would like to ask a budget question of the group. When you look at a trip/vacation, How do you decide on what the budget should be. What is important to you when it comes to roadtrips, and how do you allocate funds for the trip? Another budget question--- Does anyone still use Traveler's Checks (for domestic trips). How do you handle the daily costs? Do you keep an active record of costs ? What limits do you put on 'activities' or events like Kim's husband going to NYC for a baseball game? I am looking here to see if there is a pattern for budgeting for roadtrips, Or is it just "Get in the car, we'll cash a check on the way"???

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/09 20:56:29 (permalink)
Al, I was looking forward to retirement but I have a daughter who continues to spend like she is rich. I would like to do as you do, but it appears that I will have to spend more time working to support my family than I desired. Paula (my daughter) is a family nurse practicioner and my son in law works in finace for another company. they have first class taste on a budget that is not there.

I guess that due to my fatherly love, I will continue to work to support. I do not know how to kick the kids out of the nest. I love my grandchildren so much.

I wish I could do it like you

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

clementine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/09 23:46:10 (permalink)
btw, my username stems from the fact I was eating a clementine when I logged on...the best tangerine grown (now grown well in California).

It appears I may be in Boston and Plymouth (I work for a small consulting firm in Plymouth) about the same time you will be here in Vegas. Don't know who is luckier, you and your family being here or my wife and I being in Boston. First stop will be as we exit the tunnel and turn right down Hanover Street, into the North End heading to Mike's Pastry...the very best pastry shop in the U.S.. Am looking forward to ricotta pie, cannolis, and "lobster tails" (if anyone out there hasn't had one, it is one of the greatest roadfoods...a ricotta-cream filled flakey pastry shaped like a lobster tail). Nothing better than navigating thru the Big Dig while eating a lobster tail and...well, looking forward to the trip.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2296
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 02:20:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mulb511

Cafe' in Seligman??? Not sure which you mean-- Help me out with a bit more & I'll add it in... Thanks so much for the recommendation for golf - the pro at the shop (Greg) was very helpful & willing to accomodate my lack of fax to take my credit card # for the golf fees.

Hey Al - thanks for the heads-up on packing some travelling food...If I can find a grocery store we'll be all set.

Snack food on your way out of Vegas? That's easy. Stop at Trader Joe's. I can't recall whether it's on Tropicana or Sunset, but look it up in the phone book.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2296
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 02:26:22 (permalink)
If you're going through Prescott, you should stop at the Prescott Brewing Co., one of the best brewpubs in America, IMHO.
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 08:05:52 (permalink)
Ok - I'll let you in on my "financial planning" secret. For years & years I always wrote a check for more than the weekly groceries & put the money in a drawer. Each time I got to $100 I got a single bill & tucked it away. You'd be amazed at how quickly the pile grew & we had enough to take the family away. Now that I'm not juggling a tight-fisted hubby I use another tact. I take any kind of "extra" money (bonuses, tax refunds, overtime) & put that money in my savings account to use for fun.
This trip is a combination of lots of "thriftiness" that I'll pass along. First of all - I have my phone, cell phone & credit card attached to my frequent flyer miles. The aifare for Boston to Vegas was all provided by turning in my miles. That put air cost at $20 for processing for 2 people. I next used my current subscription to Frommer's Budget Travel magazine (that I bought from my niece for a school fundraiser [i.e. charitable contribution]) & used the resources in that to book my rental car (cardiscounts.net) & made sure that I chose a car rental company that had a promotion going on with my frequent flyer set-up. We'll now get miles towards another flight for renting a car. I also used their recommended hoteldiscounts.com for our hotels. I'd probably opt for something a bit simpler, but David likes nice hotels. I used my AAA card for the Grand Canyon Railway tickets. For everything that I've reserved I also used the credit card attached to my miles. We'll plan on breakfasts at hotels, pack snacks mostly for lunches (or stop at roadfood locations) & enjoy yummy early dinners to take advantage of the early bird specials (& so that we aren't going to bed on heavy tummies.) He's golfing on a weekday which cut the cost of the greens' fees. I don't budget any specific amount, but will take the money from my savings & pay off this credit card in full as soon as the bill comes in.
RE: the Yankees tix that is a great story... David said that it was his "dream" to see the Sox play at Yankee stadium. As soon as tix became available I ordered 4 tix at full price & said, "once in a lifetime". I called a friend's hubby (who's from NY) to ask about how to get to Yankee Stadium & he said, "do you want tix? I can get you great seats." I took him up on his offer, sold my 4 for what they cost me [didn't make a dime] & we had seats 9 rows back on the first base line on 4th of July weekend. Doesn't get any better than that! His wife is a good friend & I always bring her treats from my travels.. really paid off! You never know what can happen.
I think that I've answered a few ?s & I, too, love clementines.
I think that there's a diner in Plymouth? Could I be right? Or is it Salem?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 09:23:57 (permalink)
G' Mornin' all.
First the Diner. Todays review on the homepage shows the Agawam in Rowley. We lived a couple of miles from it while I was attending Salem State, back in the 60's. The Agawam, & McIntyre's Clam Stand were the two places we frequented during that era. Good Memories !!

I didn't mean to get into the HOW we finance our travel ( the income side ) What I am looking for is how we decide about the "Expenditures". The Basic food, lodging, and gas thing. AND how we decide the itinerary itself. Assuming we aren't making the trip to fill a specific task (ie- Grandpa's Funeral) Do we have an overall destination? Do we really wander with the wind for a certain amount of time and see where we wind up? Or is there a combination of thoughts that make "our " trip unique to us?
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 10:09:41 (permalink)
Oh that stuff- Sorry Al ... Thought you were looking for "how to get it done" info. I always go with the destination concept & work from there. For this trip the 2 locations that were "musts" were the Grand Canyon & Las Vegas. I then went right to this site for the "what's in-between" stuff & have filled it out quite nicely. Certainly the idea of a "stadium tour" is a good one. I have a friend who's all about the "national parks" goal. It can be a location that you haven't been to (the Southwest), a suggestion from someone who's been there,or whatever else "calls to you". I dreamed of Switzerland for 25 years & when I went it was exactly as I'd hoped. For a couple of minutes I was Heidi in the Alps. Find those little "someday" places that you or your mate has & go there while you can.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 10:23:04 (permalink)
A place to consider staying is in Holbrook, AZ. The Wigwam Inn is a motel collection of wigwams (actually teepees) from the 1950's. It is to hotels what roadfood is to restaurants. Cheap and fun.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/KYCAVwigwam.html

I have no affiliation with them but I have stayed there.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 11:06:56 (permalink)
We're wanderers. I like to get in the car and take off in a direction towards the unknown, finding something we haven't seen before. It doesn't always work. Sometimes, to quote Gertrude, "There's no there there". Other times you can stumble onto something totally unexected that turns out to be a gem. After 14 years in Oregon, we've still never gotten to the NE corner by the Snake River and the LaGrande area. It's as far over to there as to Seattle or Monterrey. Since my wife and I both are native flatlanders, The ocean has always held strong sway over us. It's why we moved to the Rogue Valley, 75 miles as the crow flies, 145 miles by road, to the Southern Oregon coast. Surrounded by majestic trees and tall mountains in our 4o mile long valley, it's tough to go back east of the cascades and through High Desert when all these scenic riches await a turn of our keys.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 12:20:22 (permalink)

Bill I have done the back road (US 12) From John Day to Lewiston ID several times. It is more like a ride thru Nebraska than the Pacific Northwest !! Eastern Oregon and Washington is one of the most underated and overlooked parts of this beautiful country.
Then down 395 like John did on his trip is a real neat road to explore.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 12:50:52 (permalink)
We've taken 395 down through California. Never through Oregon. My favorite over there is oregon 14O that runs east from Lakeview to Denio Junction, miles of totally vacant, then down 95 to Winnemucca to hit
I 8O going east. Basque food at the Martin, good stuff. 14O was called the Winnemucca to the sea highway, but 14O ends at Medford. The designation went on to 199 through the redwoods to Crescent City and 1O1.
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 13:44:28 (permalink)
This trip would not have been in my top 5 to do, but it's a gift & I now know that I will love it!!! I'm much more interested in the Pacific Northwest. I spent a bit of time visiting a friend in Spokane & wasn't enthralled. Must be the Pacific Northwest Coast that calls to me. When I'm not dining in diners or drooling over depots I can be found looking at lighthouses. As this summer was a vacation of "my places"-2 lighthouses on 1 island & a train station, it's time to go where someone else is called. The only time I do "get in & drive" is when I'm headed to Northern New England. Feel so comfortable that I'll find something to intrigue.
Fun to travel vicariously with each of you, though ...
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 14:28:04 (permalink)
http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/or.htm
Mulberry, I've found everywhere has something interesting to offer if I try to understand what drew folks to the locale I'm visiting. Lots of New England is evident in the NW. Visit us in the NW corner and we'll show you a good time. You can see some theatre, raft a river, see your lighthouses. Doctor Chanterelle's just above us a ways, too.
http://www.orshakes.org/home.html Oh, and eat. Lots of food and wine.
http://www.sova.org/
By the way, that's the "inter-mountain west",in eastern Washington, Oregon and Idaho, not from the cascades to the coast. BIG difference.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 15:12:03 (permalink)
Mulb-- We had to cancel a late spring run up the Lake Michigan shore in Wisconsin due to a family situation (moving out of Phoenix). But the plan was...and will be in time for flowers next spring...To visit as many of the lighthouses along the lakefront as we can stand. There are a bunch of them, and at tulip time the spring color is outstanding.

I guess my bias for the color of the desert comes from the formulative years. Growing up in an area where 100 mile vistas were the norm, It has been difficult at times , to adjust to the rolling hills and vivid greens of the Ohio Valley, and other similar locations.

The variety of interests and endless possible combinations of travel activities, including roadfood, has made living whereever we do in this country a wonderful experience (read blessing). I have a real hard time understanding those who exclude "seeing and experiencing the U S A " My kids included. One son comment a few years back, as he rode with me out to L A ...Dad- Wake me when we get there, this is nothing but boring all the way ! And a daughter who just ran out to by one of the portable Video devices so her kids can watch movies while they ride from here up to Wisconsin for the Holiday. (500 miles).. Scheeesch !!! LOOK AROUND... SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING AROUND YOU !!. Even my well educated brother would rather fly to a destination and stay in a resort or hotel for a week, doing the Disney-style activities than road trip anywhere.
I think these folks and the millions like them are missing the best life has to offer.
kimb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 17:59:51 (permalink)
We have been yearly visitors to Lake Powell for twenty years. We usually take our own food for our houseboating vacations, but we have eaten in Page a few times. I like the Dam Bar and Grille,

http://www.damplaza.com/Default.htm

and you can't beat the view at the Wahweap Lodge restaurant on the lake. We went there for my birthday (New Year's Day) a few years ago, and Barry Goldwater was there celebrating his birthday, too. I'm a Democrat, but it was still a thrill.

http://www.phoenix-az-hotels.com/page/wahweap-lodge.htm

The boat tour to Rainbow Bridge is the most popular. It's mobbed in the summer, but shouldn't be too busy in January. You'll meet tourists from around the world, most from Japan and Germany. The tour to Navajo Canyon is great, too, and won't be crowded at all.

Lake Powell is beautiful in all seasons, enjoy!
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 20:57:32 (permalink)
Just in from Xmas shopping.. with 6 kids there's a lot of shopping to do. Arrived to see kimb signed in - hmmm... explains why that wasn't available to me when I was looking for a "name". Thank you so much for your info on Lake Powell. I am looking forward to that part of the trip, but only as it will relate to all of the other sights along the way. I learned years ago to involve my kids by inundating them with stories, maps, little tidbits to keep them awake & paying attention...The older ones try to do the sleep routine, but I usually ask them to come & sit as my co-pilot & hand them the map. Everybody likes being the boss for a little bit. Each of my kids has a bit of wanderlust & living overseas taught them to look everywhere that they go... If I could do things any way that I wanted it would be choo choo from here to there & find my way around on foot.. But work does like me to make an appearance.
I'll be out of commission tomorrow as I'm having some minor surgery. Think good thoughts for me & know that I'll be dreaming of the Southwest & it's only 4 weeks away!!!! Yipes!
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/10 20:59:23 (permalink)
p.s. Bill - Thanks for the clarification re: Oregon. I'll be on my way in the next few years.. The lighthouses are calling...
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/11 22:00:15 (permalink)
Plenty of painkillers & still can't sleep.. Need the answer to another ? We're taking the Grand Canyon rail from Williams. Where should we eat at lunchtime? We won't have our car, so would need to be within walking distance of wherever the train leaves us off... An oversight on all of our parts, I'm sure...
Any opinions on the Palace/Haunted Hamburger in Jerome? Catchy name & on the "list" that Al sent along..
Looks like Wahweap's Rainbow Room for our Page dinner. Still need to get more info on how to book the boat trip.
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/11 22:03:22 (permalink)
Also wanted to let you know that I just stumbled on what might be a gem for some of us... I was able to book us a hotel room in Boston for the night before we fly (remember a 6:30 a.m. flight & Boston traffic is NUTS). To stay the night & leave our car there for the week the rate was $109 & they have hourly shuttles 24 hours/day. We would pay about that to park our car & now we'll get breakfast,too. A sort of "park & fly" deal...
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/11 22:37:16 (permalink)
Seligman food options: Could we be wanting the Westside Lilo's Cafe? Or is the preferred locale The Stagecoach (only found the name - no write-up), certainly not the RoadKill, or the oh-so-sweet Snow Cap Drive-in? & you said that there wasn't much in Seligman??
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/11 23:32:52 (permalink)
Soooo many questions, so little space to answer. Seligman. look at the town (there's 30 seconds used up right there... then decide. I have used the place mentioned before, but not the others. It was just about what i expected...Not a diamond in the rough, but an adequate sandwich stop at reasonable prices and good conversation .
Your park/fly deal sounds good. Take advantage of it.
Williams... I would get there early and eat at Smokey's The train boards and unloads right by the Lodge at the South Rim. There are some snack-bar types in the immediate area, and several dining rooms within easy walk. We used the car, and carried our picnics with us, so I can't narrow a choice of paid-food anymore than that.
Did you contact any of the tour-boat companies at Page, from the website ? call a couple and find out what is offered in the way of afternoon (late afternoon) rides? I calculated a 2pm or so arrival following the flight plan we outlined earlier.
Misery loves company...My stitchs itch like mad. I have several right up beside my right eye and 12 across the top of my head. The top was fine til I bumped it on the doorjam of my truck this morning. Even the Loritab didn't help that. But a day or two more and it's back to being a handsome Prince (if an overage one at that).
Jerome has several good places on the list. i think you have found one of the more exotic, why not !!
Keep at it, You will be ready a week ahead of time !! Our timing will put us on the road about the 22 of January and return about 20 Feb.Think we will see if Bushie is really a Brain Surgeon who drives Nascar racers in his spare time. routing depends on storm tracks at that time of year for us.
Get well !!

mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/12 08:51:40 (permalink)
Hi,

I think that the cafe' that was listed in Seligman (Lilo's) had some rave reviews - something about yummy cinnamon rolls I seem to remember.

I only saw 1 tour company listed in Page. I'll try to call them today as I'm home recuperating. Seems like there are 2 options (based on the info recvd from the roadfood pals.) I'll take what the company offers & hope for a sunset option.
Today I'm avoiding the percocet & trying to just spend a quiet day organizing additional details of this trip. It really is coming together.
Tomorrow we're off on the Newport Train with our girls (RI) with Santa & Mrs. Claus & then tomorrow night off to see Simon & Garfunkel (with the Everly Bros. opening) at the FleetCenter in Boston. Sunday it's cookie swap brunch with my book club ladies. Busy, busy, busy.
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/12 11:43:46 (permalink)
trip update.. added in a lake powell navajo tapestry cruise (if they get 10 people as the water is very low) at 1:00 on Saturday & the lake mead dinner cruise on Monday (before our flight).. other option was a mid-afternoon cruise after David finishes golfing & we have a latish lunch in the clubhouse, but I think we'll have time to still make our 10:30 flight with a 6:30 cruise.. Anyone think otherwise?
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/12 11:52:28 (permalink)
cancel last message.. just noticed that the Lake Mead cruise is only on Sundays.. Changed to a 2 p.m. cruise post-golf (8:06 a.m. tee time)
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/12 22:25:59 (permalink)
There's a great Inn on the South Rim. Recommend you make reservations there for the night after you have spent the day
viewing the canyon. In the Wnter reservations should be easy on short notice. We lucked out in Februrary three years ago- a shirtsleeve day on the south rim and a night at the Inn- with pretty good food- not a "roadfood" type place, but not too pricey either.
mulb511
Hamburger
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/14 20:40:08 (permalink)
Thanks so much for the suggestion, but can't really add a 5th hotel into our schedule at this point. I think that we're already going to feel like we're living out of the backseat (not necessarily a bad thing). We're taking the train to & from the Canyon & then heading out for Page. This trip is coming into shape & the details are falling into place. Waiting for a report on 1 restaurant we're scheduled to eat in & if anyone has any firm dining locations for when we get off the train at lunchtime...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: las vegas to flagstaff 2003/12/14 21:10:14 (permalink)
John,
What Kim is saying is that they are taking the morning train to the Canyon and then returning to Williams late that afternoon(Friday) Then leaving Flagstaff for Monument Valley and Page on Saturday. Total time at the South Rim is an afternoon...(5-6 hours). If I follow the list she sent that will be a busy day !!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1