liver sausage

Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
2011/11/28 18:33:49 (permalink)

liver sausage

Many years ago, like maybe 55, I was wandering around the Chambers Street area of Manhattan looking for electronic items(Chambers street was the place to go in those days for such stuff) and, being a bit thirsty and hungry, I ducked into a bar in search of refreshment. This was the kind of place, common in NYC in those days, where working guys dropped in and out, rapidly grabbing a quick beer and maybe some free bar food.
Anyway, I had my beer and noticed a sign advertising liver sausages for, like fifteen cents, so I tried one and wound up eating a half dozen along with another beer or two.  These sausages were  like small hotdogs ( maybe 10/lb) , mildly livery,and served on appropriately sized ordinary hot dog rolls. It was my one and only experience with these delicious dogs and I've often wondered if they might still be available someplace all these years later...
Anyone know of such a thing? 

Cheers, John 

13 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2099
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/28 23:12:10 (permalink)
    It's also called 'liverwurst' or 'leberwurst'   and  yes it is available.   The last I had years ago was homemade.   Just like hot dogs the recipe varies allot from vendor to vendor, so I doubt you will find any just like you remember.     but may be close.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/29 10:13:56 (permalink)
    I'm not asking about liverwurst or labercasse . I'm asking about what was essentially a livery hotdog -closer to a small weiswurst and more livery.

Cheers, John 
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/29 11:25:27 (permalink)
    Hi John:

Sorry, I can't picture that tidbit you mentioned (And I'm fairly conversant in different types of German Wursts).

However, I'm willing to bet that the saloon you stopped into was Suerken's Restaurant, which was THE German bar and restaurant in that area. It was on the Corner of Chruch Street and Park Place. It lasted until 1987 (I just looked it up). I was in there a few times, I mainly remember the "S" shaped bar and the old-time ambience.

I found a web page with some memories of Suerkens. Couldn't find a good picture though.
    http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7912

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/29 14:40:50 (permalink)
    Ken: The bar was on a corner, with the entrance on the corner - it was very old fashioned - big high mahogany bar with a brass foot rail, mirrors in the back bar, etc. 
    I don't think the "hot dog" was a figment of my imagination...
    But, who knows, at my age...

Cheers, John 
    edwmax
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/29 15:18:54 (permalink)
    John, as I tried to state;  liver sausage, liverwurst, braunschweiger, or any of the other names it might be called are all liver sausage.  There does not seem to be a set standard or recipe to distinguish the different types.   The type or style (size, shape & taste) of liver sausage is more of regional and personal taste (in Germany or German neighborhood).    ... So i suspect the liver sausage that you remember sold at the bar was likely made by a local butcher in the community.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8388
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/29 20:06:40 (permalink)
    I suspect, John, you had  pretty much one of a kind sausage.There was a wurstmacher where I used to work, and he made the most interesting, different sausage, including using liver. He died and didnt pass on his recipes.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/30 11:13:47 (permalink)
    I suspect you guys are right.It was a once in a lifetime experience and never to be repeated (Brigadoon?). Chambers street was just around the corner from the old meat district, so there were probably all kinds of unique delicacies available in the nearby bars and restaurants. Anyhow, thanks for your interest...

Cheers, John 
    edwmax
    Re:liver sausage 2011/11/30 16:56:17 (permalink)
    John,   ... you have the memory and the taste, you can try to recreate it yourself.    ... i think you could get close to what you remember.   there are many recipes on the internet to start from.  Or, stop in at a German butcher shop ( German neighborhood) describe the sausage and see what they say or have.
    Pat01Mac
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:liver sausage 2012/01/04 11:21:19 (permalink)
    There was a Bar/Restaurant in downtown Manahattan named Volk's which was well known for a liver hot dog which sounds exactly like what you are describing. The description of the bar also matches. It had a few locations, but I was familiar with the last one right outside the entrance to the Battery Tunnel and next to the Sym's department store. That changed into a bar in the late eighties called "MC Exchange", which had a different atmosphere, but served the same food for a while. My friends and I who worked in the area have been searching either for that sausage or the recipe ever since.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:liver sausage 2012/01/06 10:34:17 (permalink)
    Pat, someone must be still making those great little sausages - they were too good to just disappear completely.

Thanks for your memory of Volk's - sounds a lot like the place I remember, but I'm thinking closer to the Holland Tunnel entrance than the BB Tunnel entrance. And, I'm not sure the BB tunnel was even open at the time I was hanging out in that area...

Cheers, John 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:liver sausage 2012/01/08 14:41:25 (permalink)
    I just gto done making some blood sausage and liver sausage.  I shared some with a good Brit friend of mine that said that it was the best black sausage she had ever eaten.  She then asked what i called it.  when I said blood sausage she turned a little green around the gills.  THEN IT DAWNED ON HER.....

Her own black pudding and black sausage she enjoyed for 40+ yrs in Jolly ol England was.... Blood Sausage.

She was horrified and vowed never again to eat black sausage.

HER LOSS!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:liver sausage 2012/01/09 10:07:22 (permalink)
    Cajun, I've tried blood sausage - I'll try anything at least once- but i'll never do it again - awful stuff. However, your liver sausage recipe might be helpful. how about posting it?

Cheers, John  
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:liver sausage 2012/01/13 01:12:35 (permalink)
    Your Wish My Dear Sir is My Command:

Liverwurst (from my OLD GERMAN FAMILY)

3 Pounds Lean Pork (butt or shoulder meat)
    2 Pounds fresh pork liver
    1 Large onion, grated
    2 TBSP Good Kosher Salt
    2 TBSP Ground White Pepper
    1 tsp Allspice freshly ground if you can find it
    1 tsp rubbed Sage
    1 tsp Marjoram
    1 Cup Iced water

Cut the liver into easily handled pieces
    Simmer it in about 2 cups of stock 
    The liver should be cooked but still be slightly pink inside
    Cut the pork into 1 inch cubes
    Pass the liver and pork through the fine plate of your meat grinder
    Pass the ground liver and pork through the grinder again
    Combine spices in 1 cup of iced water
    (if you leave some ice in the water then it will keep your mixture cool as you grind it)
    Pour the spice mixture into the ground meat mixture and mix thouroughly BY HAND until well combined
    Stuff ground meat mixture into natural Hog casings (1 1/2" to 1 3/4")
    Making about 4 to 5 inch links twisting after each
    In Large Pot Simmer the sausage until internal temp reads at least 152 degrees
    When it temps out plunge them into a ice water bath to stop the cooking process
    Wrap and keep in the fridge or freezer
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1