The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal.

loogie33

• Total Posts: 5
looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 9:45 PM (permalink)
I am building a smoker out of a new 250 gal oil tank and was looking for pics and ideas.... I am interested in the firebox mainly. Thank you for your time

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 9:50 PM (permalink)
    I could post one, but probably be thrown off Roadfood for good..
    But seriously, you even have a clue on what your getting involved in?
    Do a search here in the forums.. Been several discussions on a similar project posted here..

loogie33

RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 9:51 PM (permalink)
      oh, i didnt know it was against the rules.... sorry....

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
        RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 9:55 PM (permalink)
        Here's a forum to get ya started.. Feel free to post in it and get it going again.. I'll dig a little further for some more info..

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9939

And some more to feed the mind...
        http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3020

loogie33

RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 10:12 PM (permalink)
          thanks UncleVic

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 11:38 PM (permalink)
            Loogie,
            It isn't against any of the site rules. Vic was just Funnin' ya. It IS however a very dangerous project. Not one to be done by someone without the skills needed to insure a SAFE construction project. So BE Sure you know all you can know about handling old fuel tanks, before you even buy one. If you don't really understand why I am saying this, You don't know what you are getting into.... Seek Help!!

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 11:57 PM (permalink)
              And heed the advice of the Mayor. He is the BBQ King (aka Know it All in the BBQ and Teaching Field).. He knows his stuff... If you want to tickle someones knowledge, he's the one to ask.. And he gave ya some serious input already.. Several forums here will give ya a similar answer, but I'll take Al's word over just about anything posted here. (Unless we're talking Chili Dogs!)...

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Tue, 01/16/07 11:59 PM (permalink)

I know enough to know I will never attempt to make a cooker out of an old fuel tank. I will purchase one made by someone a lot smarter and more skilled in fabrication of metals than I.

One of my goals in life is to honestly say I have used a cooker big enough for a 'Whole Hog' Roast. That day has yet to come!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                  RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Wed, 01/17/07 7:31 AM (permalink)
                  I think loogie {hate that name} mentioned that the tank was new. Now wether thats brand new or new to him could be quite a difference. Chow Jim

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                    RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Wed, 01/17/07 10:21 AM (permalink)
                    Fuel oil tanks don't go boom when you cut them. Gasoline tanks are the widow makers. I've built dozens as people have gone from fuel oil to gas for home heating. My church has six that are used an annual BBQ or available for rent the rest of the year. Mounted on a trailer they work well. Never seen one w/ a fire box however.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Wed, 01/17/07 2:04 PM (permalink)
                      Dennis Hays of Hays Smokehouse,in Lexington,TN, my favorite of all BBQ joint in the world uses what used to be an inground gas tank. It is huge. When he "rebuilt" it he converted it into a cooker with rotating shelves, large enough to hold 6 whole hogs. His cooker has a large drawer type firebox built underneath the 'tank' portion of the cooker. He burns hickory drum-stick blanks obtained from a local company that manufactures the finished drumsticks. He burns them in a separate firepit then shovels the coals into the firebox of the large cooker.
                      He shows off his cooker to everyone with the time to hear his story when you visit his BBQ Store.
                      Photo of the tank cooker-- Much larger than the 250 gal size, but you can see the firebox under the cooking area.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                        RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Wed, 01/17/07 2:53 PM (permalink)
                        Here in my city of San Jose we have the Texas Smokehouse BBQ............ great place great BBQ ......... the pic below shows their ex-propane tank BBQ ensemble............ my advice to loogie33 is to drop the oil tank idea as invest in a recently used propane tank.
                        Loogie33 I assure you that cutting into a used propane tank will give you a much bigger BANG for you $buck................ good luck and let us know how it went as soon as you get back to terra ferma.

loogie33

RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Thu, 01/18/07 5:22 PM (permalink)
                          thanks guys! it's a brand new tank btw :)

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Fri, 01/19/07 3:30 PM (permalink)
                            My older smoker was a fuel oil tank (poor thing finally gave up and is now in the scrap yard).

Its fire box was off set on the small end, it was a 24 X 24 heavy gauge steel box, with door on front with latch, and a 4 x 20 inch slit out of the back where it met the smoker body.

Ok no one LAFF at my drawing skills

Hopefully these "pictures" get across what I am trying to say.

That smoker was a great smoker, made lots & lots o Q.

My new smoker is a custom made Propane tank smoker with off set box and adjustable stacks (turn so the high end is blocking the wind)

I will try and dig up some pictures of my smoker (old & new)

loogie33

RE: looking for pics of a oil tank smoker 250 gal. Fri, 01/19/07 7:39 PM (permalink)
                              thanks Cajun.... Thats what i was looking for!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com