Bush's Chili?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Double Cheeseburger
2004/09/24 11:20:41
Has anyone tried the new little jars of Bush's "Homemade Chili" that have shown up in the grocery stores the last few weeks. It looks like a jar less than a pint size for 2.69. I am sorry, but I'll make my own before I pay that much for that little bit of chili.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 11:36:14
It would never occur to me to eat something called chili that comes from a bean company.
Goose
Hamburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 11:53:06
but what if it's really good? And you are missing it?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 12:35:09
It can't be good chili. It could only be good beans and stuff.
Goose
Hamburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 12:40:27
i guess you'll never know
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 18:04:02
I'm one of many people who prefer beans in chili, so let me suggest to those who prefer theirs without beans to be tolerant of others and their preferences.

That said, now, let's hear from the Latin experts amongst us. There's a phrase, "De gustabis non disputatum," which I also see written as "De gustabis non disputatum EST." Which is correct as meaning "there's no disputing a matter of taste"? Thanks!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 18:13:21
quote:
Originally posted by Goose

but what if it's really good? And you are missing it?

Goose, I do not know beans about chili but I agree with you. If you do not try it, how can you form an opinion? If you do not go, you do not get. Quite frankly I doubt that Bush can do great Chili but I know that they are a great family and they have contributed a lot to East Tennessee. That has nothing to do with the quality of what they sell.

Before I would berate any product on this site, I believe I would try it before I commented and then I would offer my own opinion and nothing more.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 18:58:47
I figure anything associated with the name Bush has to be good.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/24 21:06:03
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

Has anyone tried the new little jars of Bush's "Homemade Chili" that have shown up in the grocery stores the last few weeks. It looks like a jar less than a pint size for 2.69. I am sorry, but I'll make my own before I pay that much for that little bit of chili.

I saw it in one of the stores I shopped in last week but didn't notice a price. It looked more the color of tomato sauce or pasta sauce than chili . The Bush web site says it's available w/ or w/o beans and also in a chunky and a spicy variety. I'd be inclined to try the chunky before the others, I think, but I'd take a good look at it first to see how chunky it was.

I pay $3.89 for a 1 lb brick of frozen chili from Guy's Meat Market here and it's worth it -- better than I can make at home. By contrast, this week with your Kroger Plus card, ten 15 oz. cans of Wolf Brand chili, no beans, $10. I'll be stocking up .
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/26 16:37:02

Rats! " /> The only Wolf chili we have right now is for the
microwave, and that 8-oz. tub costs $1.32
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/26 17:14:29
quote:
Originally posted by michaelgemmell

That said, now, let's hear from the Latin experts amongst us. There's a phrase, "De gustabis non disputatum," which I also see written as "De gustabis non disputatum EST." Which is correct as meaning "there's no disputing a matter of taste"? Thanks!
It's "De gustibus non disputandum est," and a more formal translation would be something like, "It is impossible to dispute the tastes of another." It's attributed to Cicero, and I saw in in a research piece on placentophagia.

Now there's a taste I will dispute!
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/27 03:53:57
quote:
Originally posted by rmcielwain

I keep a couple of those in my locker at work for those nights when I'm running real late coming in and just can't face a fast food burger or what not. Zap it in the microwave, get a bag of Fritos out of the vending machine and it's a Frito pie . Now if I can only figure out how to always have some cheese and chopped onions in my locker too .
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/27 16:02:47
Thanks for your correction, Rick F. Since I sing in Latin regularly, at least I know how to pronounce it by choral rules.

A dear departed friend was quite the wag and translated it as "Some people will eat ANYTHING!"
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/27 16:35:37
When I first saw the post title, Bush's Chili, I though this was going to be a funny political comment. Like a recipe for W's chili starts with well roasted butt of Kerry, or something to that effect.

But I have to agree with the Sundancer, you need to try it before dissing it. Bush's makes such great baked beans, why shouldn't they be able to do good chili? Just because some like their chili without beans doesn't mean a bean company can't find a good recipe and make a good commercial chili. They have the know how to cook in large quanitiy, can or bottle, and ditribute their product. I'll have to look for this and give it a try.

On a similar note, I did try a can of Campbells new chili, the one with the chunks of steak in it. Not bad compared to some canned chili I've had in the past, but not even close to the worst homemade chili I have tasted. I'll stick with my own batches of chili when I want something good.
Lone Star
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/27 17:11:31
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

quote:

I keep a couple of those in my locker at work for those nights when I'm running real late coming in and just can't face a fast food burger or what not. Zap it in the microwave, get a bag of Fritos out of the vending machine and it's a Frito pie . Now if I can only figure out how to always have some cheese and chopped onions in my locker too .

That is a meal of last resort at my house too. It is a strangely satisfying if salt and fat loaded meal.

Can't you keep some Cheez whiz or Velveeta in your locker to complete the dish?
signman
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/28 01:48:20
Will someone take one for the team, and give this stuff a try already. There was a 50 cents off coupon in my Sunday paper. (I'd do it but I'm like the kids in the Life cereal commercial} Who will be "Mikey"?
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/28 17:49:22
Long a user of Bush's baked beans, I have tried their refried beans and now prefer them to other brands (of course, I "doctor" them up a bit with a little bacon fat and cheese). My guess is their chili would be pretty good, but at the moment I'm loyal to Stagg's.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/28 19:49:51
OK, has anyone broken down and tried Bush's Chili Yet???? Reviews on this board normally help make up my decisions, as Sundancer said, a taste review type deal... I have a pot of chili in the slow cooker for breakfast as I type (suppose to be 38 degrees at the time I get up, and I work outdoors thru Oct. 31)... Seems like a good way to get the day going! Hate to make a crock full and have to go buy a jar just to review the product now! Anyone??
Rick F.
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/28 21:17:25
quote:
Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Thanks for your correction, Rick F. Since I sing in Latin regularly, at least I know how to pronounce it by choral rules.

A dear departed friend was quite the wag and translated it as "Some people will eat ANYTHING!"
My transoation was formal--ytours was better! And I really agree with your departed friend. I didn't correct--I elaborated and obfuscated!
foodlover73
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/30 08:51:14
I love Bush's Baked beans so couldn't resist picking up all four flavors this weekend. My favorites are Hot and No Bean. But they all have a delicious taste. My biggest worry was the quality of meat in a shelf/non-refrig product, but it was surprisingly fresh and tasty. Interested to know what others think...
mek
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/30 09:20:48
OK-
I tried a jar of the Bush's chili. It was the "chunky with beans".
Overall, I would give it a "not bad". It could have been thicker and had more beef in it. It was not as hot (spicy) as I normally like chili. I think it is overpriced. I had a coupon for 50 cents off-that's why I bought it.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/30 10:24:27
I have a 50 cent coupon plus my grocery store doubles all coupons up to 99, so I am going to buy a jar tonight and will try it and let you know my opinion.
halfday
Hamburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/09/30 12:26:26
I have tried their chili but I only use it for chili dogs. I get the no beans for this purpose and add chopped onions and cheze wiz. Good stuff!

Their chili is good for chili dogs but I wouldn't sit down and eat a bowl of it. Although their baked beans are out of this world their chili is ok. Of course nothing is better than home made chili and to this I do add beans and eat it by the bowl full.
bubbaboy
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/08 13:20:01
Too many beans!
b-dog
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/11 11:58:31
I think Bush's chili is great because it is better than anything I could make for myself or my family. Well worth the price! The best part about it is the convenience and homestyle taste. Whether you are heating up it up for dinner or for your friends while you watch your favorite football team play, it's so easy! The ingredients are fresh and taste great. I have always loved Bush's beans, but now I am hooked on their chili too!

emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/11 13:37:58
I did buy a jar of the chili without beans with my double coupons .
I plan to use mine for chili dogs. Speaking of their beans, I think the original brown sugar baked beans are great. I even mix a can of these into my chili when I make it ( yes I like beans in my chili). The vegetarian beans are good too.
e-webs
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/11 15:20:11
I gave my family a sampling of bush's chili this weekend, it was gr8! we tried the chunky with beans and the hot kind and my kids and husband loved them both. a little bit expensive, but worth the price. if you've got picky kids like mine, you've GOT to get this stuff, I guarantee they'll love it!
garykg6
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/11 17:13:48
actually,it's not bad. It is somewhat pricey and certainly not over-spiced but the taste is pleasant,I threw in some chopped,raw onions and a few splashes of Crystal hot sauce and threw it on a couple of Boars Head franks......not bad at all
dkp
Hamburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/11 17:41:54
Well, I'm going to have to get counted in on this. Staggs Chile? Served it when I was a demonstrator for Costco in California; can't stand the stuff. Just not crazy about anyones canned or jarred stuff. The very best I have run across are two mixes; Johnny's Lazy Day Chili Mix, and Chugwater Chili. Johnny's can be found in Costco, at least in California. Chugwater used to be in Wild Oats, but don't think they handle it anymore. They do have a web site where you can order it, I think it's ChugwaterChili.com. We use it sometimes for seasoning our New Mexican tacos and enchiladas. Just mix it with the meat. Really!!!
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/19 15:30:42
I tried my jar of Bush's chili with no beans for chili dogs this weekend and I did not like it at all. It had too much green pepper in it which overpowered the taste. I'd rather eat Castleberrys than this. I am not much on any kind of bought chili anyway. I like to make my own chili for hog dogs and hamburgers without beans and then
chili with beans to eat alone with crusty bread
quote:
Originally posted by emsmom

I did buy a jar of the chili without beans with my double coupons .
I plan to use mine for chili dogs. Speaking of their beans, I think the original brown sugar baked beans are great. I even mix a can of these into my chili when I make it ( yes I like beans in my chili). The vegetarian beans are good too.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/19 15:57:11
The sundancer wanted to buy the Bush's Chili but all they had to offer in Knoxville was with Beans and the Sundancer hates beans in chili and they hate me. Mutual love.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/25 15:40:49
I finally found Bushs Chili without beans and in a glass jar. It was decent chili with a little kick, chunks of tomatos and peppers. I forget what the exact clost was but it was close to $3.00. OK to snack on and better than cheap chili but not super. On the Sundancers scale of 1 to 10, I rate this a solid 7.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/10/25 16:48:11
I tried Bush's Chili Chunky with Beans the other night and think it was pretty good. If I'm going to eat store bought chili though, I much prefer Chili Man. Kroger's routinely sells it for under a buck a can and it has a nice kick to it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/12 11:30:45
OK. I finally broke down and bought some Bush's chili -- without beans. It tasted remarkably like Waffle House chili. I finally added some cumin, some ancho chili powder, black pepper and Tabasco with habaneros.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/12 19:48:03
Ok, y'all have me convinced to try it. I bought a jar 3 or 4 weeks ago just because of this thread. It looks awful, and I haven't summed up the courage to try it. In fact, I was thinking of adding it to my periodic contribution to the local food bank.

I guess I'll heat it up in a day or two, and I'll report back...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/12 20:37:41
We bought a bunch of cans of Bush's Chili Beans NOT Chili with Beans....Chili Beans. They are quite good and mix well with the other stuff we add to make a variety of Chili-Style dishes.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/12 21:11:30
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We bought a bunch of cans of Bush's Chili Beans NOT Chili with Beans....Chili Beans. They are quite good and mix well with the other stuff we add to make a variety of Chili-Style dishes.

They make GREAT beans. How could they NOT with the "Bush" name

And, mixed with the Bowen BBQ'd Boston Butt, it would have to be heavenly.
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/16 05:09:38

I tried one of those little glass jars of Bush's Chili with Beans a few days ago (because of this thread). Picked it up at Food Lion, price $2.89. That's a high price for that small amount of chili, in my opinion. Tasted pretty good, but the beans are those big dark red kidney beans, which are ok, but I prefer pinto beans. And the overall consistency is a little thin for my liking. If the one they sell with no beans is as thin as this, then there wouldn't be much there at all (I guess you could thicken it with something). This Bush's product is better than some other store-bought ones that I've tried, but I still haven't found one as good as home made.

Frank
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/16 20:58:32
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Ok, y'all have me convinced to try it. I bought a jar 3 or 4 weeks ago just because of this thread. It looks awful, and I haven't summed up the courage to try it. In fact, I was thinking of adding it to my periodic contribution to the local food bank.

I guess I'll heat it up in a day or two, and I'll report back...

As promised, I opened the jar I bought and heated it up. I took a bite. Here is my review:

Ahem (clearing my throat getting ready to expound)

foodlover73
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/18 12:26:10
My husband is totally hooked on the hot flavor. He eats it at least twice a week for lunch. Although the first time he ate it, he made the mistake of adding hot sauce. We quickly realized you don't have to add anything to this one.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Bush's Chili? 2004/11/18 12:48:06
quote:
Originally posted by BT

Long a user of Bush's baked beans, I have tried their refried beans and now prefer them to other brands (of course, I "doctor" them up a bit with a little bacon fat and cheese). My guess is their chili would be pretty good, but at the moment I'm loyal to Stagg's.

I just found Stagg's yesterday and bought a box of it -- shredded beef, no beans. I'd never heard of this brand before seeing the mention here.
zacbonnie
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/01/18 18:55:01
I tried a jar of Bush's Original Chili with beans after seeing a TV commercial. Tasted ok but the beans were way too hard. I have yet to find a jar or can of chili that equals my own recipe. Mine is tasty, meaty and most of the beans have a slight crack in them when chili is done. Yum! Bush's chili is ok in a pinch. 2 stars!!!!!!
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/01/18 19:12:28
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

quote:

Hey hermitt, how about using those little packages of scoopable cheese with crackers and a bottle of dehydrated onions?
Skylar
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/01/28 16:19:23
I tried the Bush Chili and it was horrible. It had a sweet taste to it and I really am not a fan for sweet chili. I prefer the spicy.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/01/28 18:15:14
I have a jar right now; I'll have it for dinner & report back.

Tom
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/01/28 19:23:25
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

I figure anything associated with the name Bush has to be good.

I assume U like CORN 'cause thats jist plain corny.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/01/28 19:33:43
Other than Bush's, I have seen a recent influx of Campbell's new chili. Being curious (dumb); I tried one. Hmmm. One spoonful was all it took; down the garbage disposal it went. I have also seen STAGG chili surfacing up lately (in a glass jar). Haven't tried, BUT the amount given vs. $$ is ridiculous. Thank the heaven's I know how to cook...
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/01/28 20:57:46
The Bush's "chunky with beans": yuck. Too many beans, gravy too thick and salty, too much cumin, overprocessed canned beef taste.

So I tried a carton of Stagg's Steakhouse chili, no beans; it was different, but it wasn't good. Same thick gravy and overprocessed beef taste, not a very high gravy-to-ingredients ratio; more like a red pudding with meat bits in it.

Both of the chili mixes I wrote about in a different thread are light years ahead of these, by the way. They both have the "real chili" taste about them, not this overprocessed slop taste.

Tom

dreamzpainter
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/14 16:19:23
I haven't tried Bush's chili yet but as for beans in chili.. one night in desperation(semiempty pantry and hungry kids) I browned up ground meat with peppers and onions and added (horror) baked beans! I called it "yankee chili" and the kids loved it! They still ask for it even though they are grown and out of the house.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/14 21:44:11
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

The Bush's "chunky with beans": yuck. Too many beans, gravy too thick and salty, too much cumin, overprocessed canned beef taste.

So I tried a carton of Stagg's Steakhouse chili, no beans; it was different, but it wasn't good. Same thick gravy and overprocessed beef taste, not a very high gravy-to-ingredients ratio; more like a red pudding with meat bits in it.

Both of the chili mixes I wrote about in a different thread are light years ahead of these, by the way. They both have the "real chili" taste about them, not this overprocessed slop taste.

Tom

Guess what: I like "overprocessed slop", especially on hot dogs with lots of raw onion and hot sauce!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/16 23:06:53
De gustibus, I suppose. For hot dogs with onions I like Castleberry's.

Tom
oskidunker
Junior Burger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/23 18:17:15
I like Bushes alot. I used to buy Staggs until they came out with that box which I find very hard to open. Is it just me? My office partner also said his wife could not open the box without making a mess. I have read the instructions on their web site and find the same problem. Does anyone know why they went to the stupid box? I saw 10 boxes for $10.00 yesterday at Albertsons in California. Maybe it isn't selling very well. Must have been a huge cost savings for Staggs. Anyway , I love the Jar and what Bush's puts in it
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/23 19:07:34
Hey, just add a can of HyPower tamales, and you're in business!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/23 19:38:42
For whatever marketing reason, our WalMart has Bushs Chili in the small jars at $2.00 a bottle right now. Either the demand is so low they are marking down to clear it out, or the company is 'restructuring'.
We use the canned beans ...but not the chili.
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/23 20:29:10
Septic boxes to which you refer are popular with manufacturers because they pack into cases better, saving shipping costs. Perhaps that's why the Staggs No Bean chili at Albertson's was such a good buy. I like the boxes because they take less cabinet space and some have a closeable spout so you can use some and refrigerate the rest.

I can't comment on the Staggs box because I didn't buy any of that, but I have no trouble with either the single use or pouring-spout boxes.
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/24 18:24:09
Thank you for the correction, Catherine. I'd rather be right.
Tedbear
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/24 18:57:02
Please note that Bush's Chili must be served with a large helping of Condoleeza Rice.
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/26 00:48:09
BaDup DUP!

"If you don't have anything nice to say at all, come sit by me."

hefried
Cheeseburger
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/26 02:55:16
i think beans in" chili" and just meat in "chili" is equally as yummy...
it's all good.
bush's (i sho hope that aint george W) chili is good nenuf for lunch or for chili dogs.
Tedbear
RE: Bush's Chili? 2005/02/27 10:54:18
Addendum to earlier post:

Despite the advisory about consuming Bush's Chili with a large helping of Condeleeza Rice, many people report that what is being served to them is still most unpalatable. The most frequent comment was--"Full of beans!".
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial