Where to eat in San Antonio

mistertawny
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points : 0
Where to eat in San Antonio - Mon, 10/4/04 9:58 AM
Looking for a nice restaurant, not to touristy in San Antonio. I have to go for a trade show, and I want something pleasant on Friday.

1chef
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Fri, 12/17/04 1:00 AM
so, where did you dine?

mistertawny
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Fri, 12/17/04 1:25 PM
Texas Land and Cattle and Fuddruckers. Both decent, but both were overpriced for the hype.

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Fri, 12/17/04 2:46 PM
Well, not to sound too much like those who believe that everyone who ever enters a chain restaurant is going to hell, I'm very sorry that I overlooked this thread when it first came around: I could at least have directed you to Earl Abel's for fried chicken and coconut cake.

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Fri, 12/17/04 4:23 PM
The last time I ate in San Antonio, which was decades ago, it was in a large and wildly popular Mexican place somewhere down near the Alamo. I had fajitas and for some reason I got the impression they made a claim on "inventing" that dish (anyway, I'd never had it before). I was working temporarily at Brooke Army Med Center and I asked the locals where to get the best local Mex and that's where they sent me. When I asked them about BBQ, they sent me to a great spot called The Settlement Inn which I understand is now defunct. Anybody have a clue about that Mex place--what it was called, whether it's still there?

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Sat, 12/18/04 1:05 PM
The place BT is recommending may be Mi Tierra, at 218 Produce Row in Market Square. Both the restaurant and Market Square are worth checking out. They are within walking distance of the Alamo, downtown and the Riverwalk.

BT
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Sat, 12/18/04 3:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by plb

The place BT is recommending may be Mi Tierra, at 218 Produce Row in Market Square. Both the restaurant and Market Square are worth checking out. They are within walking distance of the Alamo, downtown and the Riverwalk.

That sounds slightly familiar--that may be it. Thanx.

CoastFan
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Sat, 04/9/05 4:33 PM
Down on the Riverwalk is the Little Rhine Steakhouse. While not cheap, the quality of the beef is very, very good.

When in San Antonio, you'll want to get some bar-be-que at one of the Tom's Ribs locations.

If you can venture out of the city 30 or so miles, to the West, head to Boerne, and find a place called Po- Po's. (It was mentioned in an old "Roadfood -Goodfood" book years ago, so I tried it when I had the chance). They specialize in a number of "all you can eat " specials. The all you can eat gulf shrimp - large, fried with a light colored batter and very "ungreasy" - is well worth the trip. Unlike a lot of "all you can eat" places, they don't make you sit there awkwardly, having to "beg" for more. They proactively asked you if you want more, even after thirds...

On the way to Austin, there's a bar-be-que place called the "The Salt Lick" in a very small town called Driftwood. It looks like they can seat five or six hundred people in a couple fo different buildings, when things are really busy. The 'que is served family style, all you can eat. One interesting difference for a TX 'que place is that their sauce is mustard based, compared to the ubiquitous tomato based sauces. It is very good, with just the right combination of sweet and vinegar bite to it.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Sun, 04/10/05 5:46 AM
If you absolutely must eat at a chain in San Antonio, Taco Cabana is a passable regional chain that I would liken to Burgerville in the Pacific Northwest or In N Out burgers in California.

streetfighter
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Tue, 07/18/06 4:39 AM

I went to a place behind San Antonio College next to Subway,the place call ZERO CAFE,they have more than 30 flavors of slush,bubble drinks...etc ,and they also have wireless internet service,TV,Karoake,provides board game like "sorry" "uno"....etc
and the place decor like a home,very comfortable,and NICE really NICE, highly recommend this place and their SLUSH TASTY AND GOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD
I can give u guys the address of this place 1621 N. MAIN #78212
PHONE NO. 210-223-8866

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Where to eat in San Antonio - Tue, 07/18/06 10:15 AM
My grandson was going to San Antonio so I did a search for him here. LOTS of stuff came up. I would need to go stay a year or so to try everything. The "search" deal is real neat!
Joe