Rotiserie Chicken

Fire Safety Admin
2003/04/30 20:29:59
I have become a fan of this type of chicken. My doc indicated I could do this because of my diet. I know that Walmart is not a favorite of a lot of you, but I have found I could pick up one for $3.99, take it home and it is still hot and steamy and extremely tasty. They sell lemon chicken and BBQ. I buy the BBQ and eat the entire small bird.

I wish my oven chicken turned out that good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/05/01 07:42:46
I like rotiserie chicken too. I have never had wal-mart's (although I might try it), but several grocery stores in my town sell fresh cooked rotiserie chicken. I have had the one from Bi-lo and it was very good ! Moist, tender and very flavorful ! Our Piggly-Wiggly sells the chicken too, but I have not tried theirs.

Years ago my we had a grill that had the rotiserie attachment on it, but we never used it. My father thought that chicken should only be fried !!!
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/05/26 13:32:45
That's interesting you would mention Walmart, because we visited a new Sam's in Cinnaminson, NJ, which is in the same center as a new Walmart. We saw a whole wall full of huge spinning chickens! We couldn't take one with because we couldn't go right home with it and it would have sat in the car for 5 hours because we were volunteering somewhere. But man they looked good and they were cheap, I forget how much!
kdiammond
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/05/26 16:15:06
If you all are ever in No. VA and want a great charcoal rotis chick go to the Crisp 'n Juicy on Lee Hwy in Arlington. Pretty much the whole menu is the chicken (sides are black beans and rice, fried yucca, slaw (don't) and salad). The chicken is about 8 bucks and worth every penny. A truly spectacular bird!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/05/26 16:34:26
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

That's interesting you would mention Walmart, because we visited a new Sam's in Cinnaminson, NJ, which is in the same center as a new Walmart. We saw a whole wall full of huge spinning chickens! We couldn't take one with because we couldn't go right home with it and it would have sat in the car for 5 hours because we were volunteering somewhere. But man they looked good and they were cheap, I forget how much!

Rotis chicken at Walmart's in Knoxville is $3.99. They are a bargain and they are good, tender, flavorable and available in lemon chicken, BBQ and plain. I like each of them. I get a side of slaw and a roll and hold on. The leftover stays moist for some reason unlike my baked chicken and my baked chicken is never that flavorable.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 01:59:25
I too like the flavor of the Wal-Mart rotiseried chicken. I like BBQ and plain. I also like going to Famous Daves and ordering the Country Roasted Chicken. I did like KFC's the little while they had it. Kenny Rogers Roasters was good too.
flowercat
Junior Burger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 09:11:31
The Publix Supermarket chain has great rotiseried chicken and will even quarter them for you. The quality of the chicken varies from store to store (as do their deli and sandwich sections) but they are worth a try.
RedPatti
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 12:11:50
Sundancer7. Just put a whole chicken (guts taken out) into a crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours. It gets brown and is wonderful. Add nothing else it makes enough of its own "fat". You can season it if you wish with salt, pepper, a little garlic. But I have found it delectable all by its lonesome. Enjoy!
howard8
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 15:09:20
RedPatti:

The crock pot chicken sounds like a good vehicle for slow cooking chicken. I have slow cooked chicken in the oven, between 200 to 225 degrees with great results. I am looking forward to trying my next one in the crock pot.
Pwingsx
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 15:29:02
Cooking a chicken in the crockpot will really make it come out nice and brown like a rotisserie? Hard to believe.

However,I'm willing to give it a shot and make up some of Courgette's bread sauce. Nummy.
Rusty246
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 16:22:08
Amen to Publix! Lemon pepper is my favorite. I never can resist getting half a chicken for lunch. Bad thing is I eat and eat until I'm miserable! I do have a rotis on my grill but never wanted to fuss with trying to tie the chicken in such a way that it doesn't slide all over or simply flop breast side down and burn. Love doing eye of round roast though. The outside gets good and crispy while the inside is a nice medium rare to rare teh latter being my favoite!
RedPatti
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 16:27:42
Sundancer7 and HowardB. When I want a crisp skin after the crockpot I lay the chicken skin down as is (turn as needed) in a hot skillet. The skin crisps up and it is FABULOUS.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/06 20:35:32
A couple of other NoVa suggestions ... Peruvian rotisserie chicken is just too good for words. In Northern Virginia, there are two excellent places: El Pollo Rico at 932 N. Kenmore St. in Arlington, VA 703-522-322 , and Edy's Chicken and Steak, Las Brasas, Leesburg Pike, Bailey's Crossroads; 820-5509.

Melt in your mouth -- delicious crispy skin -- great prices.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/11/07 00:21:16
The rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club is very good and a good bargain. They use very large birds.

I like this so much I had to have a rotisserie machine. A couple of years ago I got one at Sam's. It started out listed at $149.99 which I thought was way overpriced; as Christmas approached I noticed the price was going down. I kept watching. In January, I purchased it for $49.99 .

It holds only one bird. No, it's not from Ron Popeil, but I can just 'set it and forget it' .
olphart
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/12/29 21:21:15
We buy rotisserie chickens at Sam's three at a time, then take them home and take the meat off the bones. We then freeze the meat one half chicken per bag for later use. Then we boil the bones for soup stock.

Our favorite use for the chicken is making quesidillas.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/12/29 23:26:25
A friend and I were coming out of Sam's Club one evening and were met by a deli employee with free handouts of just done rotisserie chicken. The chickens were gifts to paying customers, an effort to familiarize and attract customers to the product.

Well, as someone here said, they are big birds. In fact they are almost twice the size of the chickens sold by our town's Kroger stores, and sell for less.

I've since bought Sam's rotisseried chickens and always enjoy them. Though it's hard to limit serving size, I can make one provide 3 good sized meals. And I'm a "good eater".

Incidentally, the chicken I get is seasoned with Lowry's Seasoning Salt.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/12/30 00:20:54
Sam's Club locations seem to vary a great deal in their policies. The one nearest me never has more than a half dozen demo tables in operation, tho they do give large samples, usually. Another location I sometimes visit about 10 miles away usually has 10-20 demos in operation. But I've never seen any of 'em give away a whole chicken .
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/12/30 03:22:12
quote:
Originally posted by hermitt4d

Sam's Club locations seem to vary a great deal in their policies. The one nearest me never has more than a half dozen demo tables in operation, tho they do give large samples, usually. Another location I sometimes visit about 10 miles away usually has 10-20 demos in operation. But I've never seen any of 'em give away a whole chicken .

The vary in other ways too. The one is Lexington, Ky. is just a big store, probably the standard Sam's box. But the one I visited in Gainesville, Florida 3 years ago was very different. It had a large and serious wine department; you could buy wine by the case. And it had a seafood display area I still shake my head about. I wish I had calculated how many square foot of display case was given to displaying farm raised salmon. I had the feeling half of Florida could shop for salmon on the day I was there and they would not run out.

i95
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2003/12/30 07:58:48
quote:
Originally posted by kdiammond

If you all are ever in No. VA and want a great charcoal rotis chick go to the Crisp 'n Juicy on Lee Hwy in Arlington. Pretty much the whole menu is the chicken (sides are black beans and rice, fried yucca, slaw (don't) and salad). The chicken is about 8 bucks and worth every penny. A truly spectacular bird!

I concur 1,000% !!! There are other Crisp & Juicy locations, as well, including one right on Route 7 in the heart of Falls Church, VA (in a former Boston Chicken, no less). Also in the DC area are at least three locations of Guapo's serving superb Peruvian-style chicken including locations as geographically (and culturally) diverse as NW, Washington, DC (Wisconsin Avenue) and Manassas, VA (Route 28).

On a related note, has anyone ever eaten at La Cabana in Arlington, VA?

It's also a Peruvian eatery which my wife and I dined at this weekend and had an excellent dish of chicken, peppers, Bermuda onions and french fries (yes, french fries) all tossed together in a light brown sauce and served with rice. It was preceded by an appetizer of deep fried corn kernels (resembling Beer Nuts) which were lightly salted. I'm sure this "appetizer" is standard fare but, frankly, they were awesome.

chinesegirl
Hamburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/13 15:13:58
I don't live in DC anymore, but my friends told me there's a new Peruvian fried chicken place in the NoVA area that caused some traffic problems. It's a 3-4 hour wait....Is it really worth that wait?? I am looking forward to check it out when I go back to visit
i95
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/13 15:21:52
Yup, chinesegirl, it's Pollo Campero (http://www.campero.com) and they've got two new locations in both Falls Church and Herndon, Virginia. Haven't tried it but look forward to it next time I have an entire Saturday to wait in line.
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/13 15:51:08
Isn't rotisserie and broasted chicken one and the same?
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/13 16:34:03
The place is apparently very close to the hearts of ex-pats from El Salvador and Guatemala, which accounts for the lines and long waits. But for anyone else, well, the reports I've heard give it only so-so grades. I'll give it a try to see for myself, though my allegiance to El Pollo Rico is strong and won't likely break.
quote:
Originally posted by i95

Yup, chinesegirl, it's Pollo Campero (http://www.campero.com) and they've got two new locations in both Falls Church and Herndon, Virginia. Haven't tried it but look forward to it next time I have an entire Saturday to wait in line.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/13 16:35:08
NO !! rotisserie is done on a spit that is rotated in an oven or grill (ever seen the Ronco rotisserie infomercial ?)

Broasted is fried in oil under pressure !!

Both great and tasty, but very much different !!!
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/13 17:37:11
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

A friend and I were coming out of Sam's Club one evening and were met by a deli employee with free handouts of just done rotisserie chicken. The chickens were gifts to paying customers, an effort to familiarize and attract customers to the product.

Well, as someone here said, they are big birds. In fact they are almost twice the size of the chickens sold by our town's Kroger stores, and sell for less.

I've since bought Sam's rotisseried chickens and always enjoy them. Though it's hard to limit serving size, I can make one provide 3 good sized meals. And I'm a "good eater".

I got a free chicken at Sam's one night as I was leaving the store. I think they were giving them away as it was right before closing. Just another reason to procrastinate.
chinesegirl
Hamburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/13 19:16:37
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

The place is apparently very close to the hearts of ex-pats from El Salvador and Guatemala, which accounts for the lines and long waits. But for anyone else, well, the reports I've heard give it only so-so grades. I'll give it a try to see for myself, though my allegiance to El Pollo Rico is strong and won't likely break.

quote:
Originally posted by i95

Has the El Pollo Rico moved? The time I was in the area, i couldn't find it... I used to know it near by the courthouse area, in a little plaza that has a 7/11.
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/14 17:15:40
Yes, it moved, or rather it was pushed out by a developer, probably about a year ago. It's original location, shoe-horned into that impossible-to-navigate plaza, was always part of its charm. The new location is in Ballston on Kenmore Street, which crosses between Wilson Blvd. and Fairfax Drive. The chicken is as good as ever, especially when washed down with an Inca Cola.
quote:
Originally posted by chinesegirl

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by i95

Has the El Pollo Rico moved? The time I was in the area, i couldn't find it... I used to know it near by the courthouse area, in a little plaza that has a 7/11.
chinesegirl
Hamburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/15 17:55:19

Yes, it moved, or rather it was pushed out by a developer, probably about a year ago. It's original location, shoe-horned into that impossible-to-navigate plaza, was always part of its charm. The new location is in Ballston on Kenmore Street, which crosses between Wilson Blvd. and Fairfax Drive. The chicken is as good as ever, especially when washed down with an Inca Cola.

Thanks jpatweb. now I have one more reason to make a 4 hour drive from pittsburgh.
ocdreamr
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/01/15 19:51:25
quote:
Originally posted by Maynerd

quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

I got a free chicken at Sam's one night as I was leaving the store. I think they were giving them away as it was right before closing. Just another reason to procrastinate.

Shoot, if I don't get to my Sam's club no later than 4PM all the chickens are gone!! The Weis stores here are selling a rotiserire bird that I believe they call a Killer Chicken (Shown in pictures wearing boxing gloves ETc) It's the size of a Perdue oven stuffer. I bought one once, it was good but I thought I'd never come to the end of it.
albinoni
Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/04/06 22:19:26
BJ's rotisserie chickens are the size of turkeys--it's the only reason I'd ever consider spending the money for a membership because the ones you get in A&P or Stop&Shop are half the size for the same price.
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/04/07 10:26:49
I like the Crock Pot chicken too. Its amazing how pretty and brown it is at the end of the day. It works good when you are at work all day and come home to a chicken alread ready to eat. I like to do this on Sunday also . It is ready when we get home from church
quote:
Originally posted by RedPatti

Sundancer7. Just put a whole chicken (guts taken out) into a crock pot and cook on low for 7 hours. It gets brown and is wonderful. Add nothing else it makes enough of its own "fat". You can season it if you wish with salt, pepper, a little garlic. But I have found it delectable all by its lonesome. Enjoy!
Rick F.
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/04/07 11:11:32
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

A couple of other NoVa suggestions ...
Off-topic, but I couldn't resist. Did you know that the Chevy Nova sold very poorly (if at all) in Latin America because the word translates roughly to "It doesn't go."?
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/11/10 09:59:24
I know I'm chiming in late, but...

Anyone who goes to Summerfest in Milwaukee is missing out if a stop at the Monreal's chicken/turkey stand isn't made. They have a bunch of big charcoal hibachis with rotisseries and the poultry is fantastic. Unfortunately I don't know which of the Milwaukee restaurants with "Monreal" in the name is responsible...

Plus Summerfest has a lot of other stands operated by local restaurants. Think of it as a bunch of Roadfood trips consolidated into one!

Brad O.
sayscalled
Junior Burger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/12/11 23:28:43
I have a Publix literally next door to me, and I tell you, I absoultely love their lemon pepper chicken. For a young single guy living alone, you could make three or four good meals out of one bird. I had one for dinner tonight and last night, and plan to have it twice more at least. Definitely recommended if you have a Publix near you :)
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/12/13 14:33:31
Can't believe I didn't mention this before...

North American Rotisserie in Madison WI (Monroe Street) serves excellent chicken and chicken-based dishes (chili, soup, etc.). There are also a number of Latin American side dishes (black beans, rice, etc.) that add to the restaurant's individuality.

Brad O.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/12/13 16:14:19
We also get the rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club. For $3.99, it's a bragain, and tastes the same as the one at Wegmans which cost $1.00 more. Sometimes, Wegmans is on special at the lower price and we'll get that. Tastes great and no work to prepare.
carlton pierre
RE: Rotiserie Chicken 2004/12/14 07:40:06
As a rule I cannot buy a whole chicken from the meat case for less than I can buy a rotisserie chicken already made. How is that? There are times I would like to beer can a chicken or fix at home and I will spend more by doing that.