Great regional ice creams

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 132
jkml
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 02/20/06 12:23 PM
Julie Ann's Custard is great and my kid's favorite when we used to live in the subarbs near Chicago-Crystal Lake was their main location.
Culver's Custard is a chain in the Midwest which is ok, and has good fast food, for fast food. We have looked for a good place near where we live in Yardley, PA. Tried Goodnoe's, and it had poor service for passable food and only adequate ice cream. My 12 year old said not to bother to go back. We will definately try the Creamery at Penn State when we go there this summer, and will go to McCaffrey's this week for Bassetts. If any one has ice cream suggestions, or pizza for that matter, let me know. Thanks.

Red Green
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Great regional ice creams - Thu, 03/16/06 10:46 PM
Well's Blue Bunny use to be a regional ice cream, but it is still good!

Around SE Nebraska, Goodrich dairy is very good.

In PA, Hershey's ice cream is good, also.

2vicky
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 04/18/06 6:21 PM
the best ice cream place in Highwood is the Cooling Station. It is the ice cream place to be. They carry Homer's ice cream and yogurt. Their yogurt is safe for lactose intolerants and diabetics. Kid's can eat their famous avalanche which looks like a small volcano and 15 inches high. They also have a party place where you can make your own stuffed animals and host parties. Now that is really awesome!!

WVHillbilly
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 04/18/06 7:19 PM
Farquar's on Manitoulin Island, Ontario Canada.
Simply the best. Pure cream and all natural fruit and flavors.
I have it almost every day when I'm up there. . . it's as good as the smoked fish from Purvis Fisheries!

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sat, 04/22/06 1:45 AM
Mary Lou's Milk Bottle in Spokane. Home made ice cream and the best shakes I've ever had. One of the few places in the country you can order a huckleberry shake. About 10 minutes off the I-90.

802 W Garland Ave, Spokane, WA 99205 · 509-325-1772

GeoNit
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 04/24/06 4:08 PM
WVHillbilly, probably the best place to enjoy you Farquar's is sitting on Treasure Island, which is located on Lake Mindemoya, one of 110 lakes located on Manitoulin Island, the world's largest fresh water island, which is located on Lake Huron.

cheripye
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 04/24/06 4:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by phatphil

anyone remember peacocks in evanston and wilmette/skokie illinois?

I sure do remember Peacock's. Excellent ice cream and very sad they are gone.

cheripye
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 04/24/06 4:40 PM
I've eaten ice cream all over this country as well as parts of Europe. The gelato in Florence, Italy, is wonderful, indeed.

But I'm very spoiled by the ice cream at Royal Scoop in Bonita Springs, Florida, just north of Naples, and south of Fort Myers, on the west coast of the state. I hesitate a bit to mention it, as the lines already mean a 20 minute wait. My husband has no patience at all, but he waits for this ice cream. The just plain chocolate is sheer perfection; also outstanding are cookies and cream, butter pecan, black cherry, black raspberry, banana with walnuts and chocolate chips, almond coconut chocolate swirl, rocky road, and chocolate turtle. The ice cream is very creamy, very solid, and the scoops are very generous. Not too sweet, but intensely flavored. There's 2 or 3 new flavors every couple of days, so lots to explore.

bengee
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Great regional ice creams - Wed, 05/24/06 10:25 PM
Best ice cream in Seattle area: Husky Deli in West Seattle! Here's a recent news story on this legendary family-owned place.....http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/268243_eat28.html

WVHillbilly
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Great regional ice creams - Thu, 05/25/06 12:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GeoNit

WVHillbilly, probably the best place to enjoy you Farquar's is sitting on Treasure Island, which is located on Lake Mindemoya, one of 110 lakes located on Manitoulin Island, the world's largest fresh water island, which is located on Lake Huron.

GeoNit,
I know Lake Mindemoya well. Did you know that "Treasure Island" is the largest Island in a lake on an island in a lake, Lake Manitou is the largest lake on an island in a lake and the Chi-cheemaun is or used to be the largest freshwater ferry boat? Big place, huh? The best place to catch perch in the spring is between the Island and the main road.
BTW: The local natives don't call it "Treasure Island." The Island is actually called "Mindemoya" or "old woman" for the legend surrounding it.
Do you get your Farquars at the corner stand at the intersection in Mindemoya?
Faugars has been around since the 1800s right there in Mindemoya.

Sourdust
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 06/6/06 11:06 PM
Strafford here in Vermont, a fairly large organic dairy, makes about a dozen varieties of ice cream, mostly excellent; my favorite is probably just their plain maple, mmmm. Very expensive ($5 a pint or so) but worth it once in a while. We also have a much cheaper, old-time brand called Wilcox which has zillions of flavors -- rather cheap stuff but probably as good as Deans of Kents anyway.

roadrash
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Great regional ice creams - Thu, 06/8/06 6:42 PM
Two thumbs up from me for Hershey's.

FuwaFuwaUsagi
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sun, 07/16/06 1:43 AM
Oberweis has excellent super premium icecream. Headquartered in North Aurora, Illinois.

To my taste one of the best creams in the country.

DavidEMartin
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 08/22/06 12:53 AM
Does the Isaly's chain still exist in the Cleveland Ohio area? I know they are the folks who make Klondike but in the 60s they had a chain of ice cream stores that served the best chocolate marshmallow ever!

Even our local Kopp's can't do a chocolate marshamallow anywhere as good as Isaly's was.

Euclid Race Dairy was another Cleveland childhood haunt. Good ice cream cones and it's where I learned about phosphates.

In Richmond Virginia in the late 60s, the Clover Room had the best ice cream. Their Banana, Lemon Chiffon, and Mint Chocolate Chip was my faves.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
RE: Great regional ice creams - Wed, 08/23/06 10:56 AM
Promised land Dairy in Floresville,Texas used to make icecream which was very good.But they stopped several years ago.Their cows are not feed hormones or other things,so it had to me a different flavour.More like the icecream you would get at home if you lived on an old fashioned farm.

pinetree
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Great regional ice creams - Wed, 09/13/06 1:56 PM
Wilcox Ice Cream in Manchester VT is the best around here. It is distibuted locally. It is not super-rich, but has just enough fat to be completely yummy. They have lots of flavors ~ including peppermint, coffee fudge, and mocha chip (my favorites).

ricklow
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Great regional ice creams - Wed, 09/20/06 8:39 PM
Best in New England - toss up between Herrill's in Northampton, Ma and Sweet Claude's, Cheshire, CT - your response is WHO? Try it.

Big_g
  • Total Posts : 332
RE: Great regional ice creams - Thu, 09/21/06 2:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Red Green

Around SE Nebraska, Goodrich dairy is very good.

We used to use Goodrich....they made a Cinnamon flavored Ice Cream that we served with our homemade apple pies....OMG...It was SOOOO good. We used other flavors as well and if I remember correctly the were all pretty darned good.

In central Texas it was BlueBell....and that was pretty darn tasty too.

Kingman3
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 10/27/06 2:52 AM
Belfonte here in KC.

Among the best anywhere? Gotta be Braum's in/around Oklahoma.

ata todd
RE: Great regional ice creams - Wed, 03/7/07 2:33 PM
Best local ice cream---Graeter's in Cincy/louisville/columbus/dayton/lexington---best flavors are black razz/chocolate chunk and peach (july and august only). Handels in Indy---Oreo , sherbets, and chocolate.

shortchef
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Great regional ice creams - Thu, 03/8/07 8:43 AM
Todd, amen on both counts. Have had 'em both and they're totally great. Our fave is the raspberry choc. chip from Graeters.

UrbanSpaceman
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Great regional ice creams - Thu, 04/5/07 1:29 PM
I'd have to go with Graeters as well, although there is a type of ice cream in Hawaii which, unfortunately, I can't remember the name of. What I do remember is it was mostly an orange and white logo, featuring like the side view of an old man with a beard and cap... I don't think I've seen it outside of Hawaii actually. If anyone knows that I'm talking about, let me know - otherwise, I'll stick with Graeters.

Another just came to me: Jeni's at the North Market in Columbus, Ohio. I definitely recommend the salty caramel.

angeltearsmc
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sun, 04/8/07 1:41 PM
Add in my vote for Mayfield Dairy ice cream here in East TN... fabulous stuff, rich and creamy.

Food City (area grocery chain) also puts out a "Premium Homestyle" line of ice creams that are pretty decent for store-brand.

mollydingle
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 04/20/07 5:40 PM
Herrell's, Hodgie's,Toscanini's and a gelato place in Methuen Ma. whose name escapes me.
We Yanks take our ice cream seriously.

toto11
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sun, 04/22/07 7:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mollydingle

Herrell's, Hodgie's,Toscanini's and a gelato place in Methuen Ma. whose name escapes me.
We Yanks take our ice cream seriously.

Just wait to that great tasting Blue Bell gets your way one of these years(or centuries lol)

1Cosmo1
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sun, 04/22/07 7:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

Those of us who travel always like to try the local flavors. Lots of great regional ice creams from large companies to little shops are known only to the locals. For example, NH has Annabels, PEI has Cows, and we in Massachusetts have Barts, Pearsons, Richardsons, and Bergsons among others. Where do you live, and what is your favorite in that area?

Cincinnati, OH has 3 outstanding sources of ICE CREAM. The best (IMHO)is Aglamesis Brothers. They only have two location with the one in the Oakley neighborhood being my favorite. The store is right out of the thirties and the ice cream is sinfully rich. The next is Graeter's with about a dozen stores in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. the last, but still very good, is UDF (United Dairy Farmers) with many locations in the Tri-State (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana). My favorite flavor at UDF (seasonal) is Black Walnut.

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Great regional ice creams - Wed, 04/25/07 12:32 PM
I have long been partial to the Prarie Farms Ice Cream sold around St. Louis. Lots of flavors, and good seasonal flavors like Peach Cobbler in the Summer, and Peppermint around Xmas time. And Schnucks usually has a pretty good deal on it - sometimes you can get two half gallons for $5 on sale.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Great regional ice creams - Thu, 04/26/07 10:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by 1Cosmo1

quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

Those of us who travel always like to try the local flavors. Lots of great regional ice creams from large companies to little shops are known only to the locals. For example, NH has Annabels, PEI has Cows, and we in Massachusetts have Barts, Pearsons, Richardsons, and Bergsons among others. Where do you live, and what is your favorite in that area?

Cincinnati, OH has 3 outstanding sources of ICE CREAM. The best (IMHO)is Aglamesis Brothers. They only have two location with the one in the Oakley neighborhood being my favorite. The store is right out of the thirties and the ice cream is sinfully rich. The next is Graeter's with about a dozen stores in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. the last, but still very good, is UDF (United Dairy Farmers) with many locations in the Tri-State (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana). My favorite flavor at UDF (seasonal) is Black Walnut.

I was in the Outer Banks of North Carolina a couple years back and saw the unmistakeable UDF "Homestyle" ice cream package in a convenience store; not many flavors, not a lot, but it was there. I haven't been able to identify the source of this anomaly yet.

The new "Lemon Meringue" UDF frozen yogurt is sensational!

Buddy Dek
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 04/27/07 3:18 PM
I am easy to please, just give me a tall frozen vanilla yogurt dish from my local Cosco. It really tastes great and is proably the only fat free thing I really like and have on a regular basis.

Mew_Blackberri
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 04/30/07 1:07 AM
Ipswich MA has a great place to get awesome icecream called White Farms. If your ever in the area, that(and the Clam Box) is a must-stop location. They have all sorts of original flavors and a great wholesome taste. They were rated rather high on some chart of New England ice cream places. Number five I believe, though I'd have to say that it was much better than the number three location.

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3217
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 05/7/07 8:54 PM
I had the absolute best frozen banana in my life, last week at Sweet Pea's in Highwood, IL.

sunnyside up
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 05/11/07 9:04 PM
I'll cast my vote for Handel's Ice cream based in Youngstown, Ohio. They make the tastiest chocolate pecan ice cream that I have ever eaten. Very fresh salted pecan halves in abundance, and a chocolate ice cream mixture that is so smooth and silky it makes you drool while waiting in line to get your cone.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 05/11/07 9:32 PM
sunnyside_up-
I agree with you about Handel's. There are a couple in the Pittsburgh area and they do have really good ice cream. My favorite flavor is Chocolate Raspberry Truffle.

sweet1
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 06/18/07 11:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 2vicky

the best ice cream place in Highwood is the Cooling Station. It is the ice cream place to be. They carry Homer's ice cream and yogurt. Their yogurt is safe for lactose intolerants and diabetics. Kid's can eat their famous avalanche which looks like a small volcano and 15 inches high. They also have a party place where you can make your own stuffed animals and host parties. Now that is really awesome!!
I agree with you. The Cooling Station is the BEST ice cream place in Highwood but also in the Northshore area. It is our favorite ice cream place. Try their frozen dipped bananas and ice cream bars as well. My kids tried the dipped bananas and it was superb! After trying it...the next day... we bought the rest of the bananas in the freezer (all 7) yep! you've got to try it...it really is the best delicous tasting frozen banana we've tried in the area.

sweet1
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 06/19/07 12:09 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

I had the absolute best frozen banana in my life, last week at Sweet Pea's in Highwood, IL.
You've got to try the frozen banana of the Cooling Station--our favorite dessert place. Their frozen banana's are superbly delicious and reasonably priced!!! the chocolate melts in your mouth and you'll just love the chocolate. After trying it; my kids and i went back the next day and bought the rest of their bananas (all 7 of them). no kidding. from then on...my family and i have been hooked!

californyguy
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 06/19/07 1:03 AM
here in sacramento we have two longtime hometown places - Vics and Gunthers both have great oldtimey shops, are within about a mile or two from each other and both have delish stuff...gotta figure out how to use the digital so i can send in some pictures- both of them look like something out of an andy hardy movie

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 06/19/07 5:11 AM
Did I really just read four pages of stuff about regional ice creams and no one mentioned WHITEY'S in Quad Cities (IA/IL) ?!?!?! Shocking indeed!

Also, there seem to be a few MA residents here, none of whom mentioned
Rancatore's Ice Cream in Belmont & Lexington, MA.

I think Joe's ice cream (Rancatore) is MUCH better than his brother Gus's (he's a Rancatore, but he calls his store Toscanini's), although it's Gus that gets most of the press (and makes a good product, definitely).

Ranc's also serves homemade fudge, made from scratch with Belgian chocolate bits melted with real cream etc. No one else's fudge compares. Homemade waffle cones too.

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 06/26/07 11:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Danimal, next time you're in Highwood, try Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream at Sweet Pea's. www.chocolateshoppeicecream.com

Marble Slab Creamery in Libertyville, Gurnee, Evanston, and Skokie is another place awaiting your ice cream taste buds. www.marbleslabcreamery.com

CSD

Just experienced Marble Slab for the first time in La Jolla last week. This is just about as fine a franchise I've ever seen. The ice cream was first rate. I had my own, as well as tastes of the wife and kids flavors. They were all first rate.

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 07/6/07 3:27 PM
I'm originally from Central Mass and my opinion of the best ice cream around has got to be Ronnie's (known for seafood as well) in Auburn, Ma...best butter crunch and chocolate peanut butter flavors around! Now that I'm down in CT I do like the Hershey's Chocolate Ice Cream I can get at Harry's in Colchester, but that's just Hershey's. Maggie Moo's in West Hartford has some great flavors although I think they may be a chain similar to Cold Stone Creamery (which by the way if you like Peanut Butter...try their PB Shake...its like sucking PB through a straw!) I also really like the ice cream from UConn Dairy Bar in West Hartford. I believe there is another not far from the UConn campus in Storrs...very creamy and delicious!

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 07/6/07 4:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kools
Frozen custard is king in Milwaukee. As absolutely fantastic as Kopp's is, Leon's is more absolutely fantastic! I have put their vanilla against each other in an A/B test...Leon's always wins. Kopp's has Leon's beat for menu items, but there is no better custard on the planet than Leon's.
That's fine if you like vanilla, the whole vanilla, and nothing but the vanilla, and chocolate. Kopp's is for fruit flavors, caramel flavors, root beer flavors, etc. etc. etc. And burgers so good they don't take polls of Milwaukee's favorite burger, because what's the point? It's ALWAYS Kopp's.

Now, Oscars (Highway 100 just south of Lincoln Ave.) has a pretty good waffle cone. You can smell it for about half a mile. Their custard and burgers are not bad either. Gille's is okay in a pinch, but the locals made it one of the big three, so it must be commented on.

avalon83
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sat, 07/21/07 5:47 PM
Welsh Farms in New Jersey - creamy, delicious flavors. Anyone remember Beckers Dairy? Fabulous chocolate milk!

eatingteam
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 07/24/07 5:21 PM
Tanner's in Holland, PA

Turkey Hill, PA - NJ

Penn State Creamery State College, PA

Gerensemer's, New Hope,PA

Breyers

Carvel

Ice cream gone by

Greenwood Dairies

Beer&Snausages
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 07/24/07 8:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ceciflinn

Did I really just read four pages of stuff about regional ice creams and no one mentioned WHITEY'S in Quad Cities (IA/IL) ?!?!?! Shocking indeed!

ceci,
Go back to page 1, 2nd from the bottom is where you'll find the Whitey's love :-). I'll be back for the Bix7 run this weekend and I'll hit Whitey's (many times of course), Jim's Rib's, Kelly's Circle Tap, Belgian Village for a Vande Rueben. Depending on time, maybe a trip to Lagomarcino's, Happy Joe's, the Iowa Machine Shed and Hungry Hobo might also be on tap.

mcminnj
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 08/14/07 12:49 PM
On Vacation this summer I stopped at the Jack Frost Dairy Bar (homemade ice cream since 1954)in Marion, NC. Knowing that I would probably never be this way again made it mighty difficult to choose from all the possibilities. I hear they also have good soft serve. And all the pictures of various sundaes and such make you want to go into ice cream frenzy. Eat at picnic tables under the trees with all the families and firemen.

Ruby Red
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 08/17/07 5:31 PM
Whenever I°m in the Albany,NY area I must have Stewart°s ice cream - Crumbs along the Mohawk.Graham cracker flavored ice cream with caramel swirls...soooo gooood....

phlmaestro2000
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Great regional ice creams - Fri, 08/17/07 5:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by eatingteam

Tanner's in Holland, PA

Ice cream gone by:

Greenwood Dairies

I grew up not that far from Tanners, but for whatever reason, I don't ever remember going there. But my father used to take my sister and I to Greenwood Dairies for ice cream on Saturday nights. I don't remember how good the quality was, but I do recall that the portions were gigantic.

iiicream
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 08/20/07 7:25 PM
When in Sarasota, Fl make sure to try Big Olaf Creamery - St Armands. Voted the best ice cream store by the locals year after year. Homemade ice cream by the Amish. Doesn't get better than this.

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 08/20/07 7:46 PM
My vote(s) are for Graeters and UDF HOmemade. Graeters black raspberry/choc.chip are heavenly, but pricey. UDF Homemade flavors are all simply grand and much less expensive. Love the Lemon Meringue Yogurt. Just had some of UDF chocolate/almond and it was very good with the exception of the skins covering the almonds....had they removed those, it would have been perfect ice cream.

Donna

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 08/21/07 12:11 AM
Durbin Farms in Clanton, AL (x205 off I-65)

Home made peach ice cream (in season only)

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 08/21/07 1:13 AM
Voss's BBQ in Yorkville New York(reviewed in the restaurant section) open in the summer makes their own ice cream. I especially love their black raspberry and their orange-pineapple. Their whole menu is super good and super cheap.

schlotz
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Great regional ice creams - Wed, 08/22/07 12:43 PM
Blue Bell (Texas) came out with their Cantaloupe n' Cream for this month. Very refreshing combination....

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sat, 10/6/07 5:19 PM
Handels's ice cream in Youngstown is very highly regarded. I stopped in earlier this week and got a scoop of grape (you don't see that very often) and a scoop of mint chocolate chip. Both very good!

mistur.e
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 10/9/07 3:26 PM
He y'all. I'm new to roadfood.com and was searching around for the heck of it. Bored at work, ya know...

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out my regional ice cream suggestion. I live in Northern California and thanks to a lactose intolerance problem I had to seek out alternatives to the traditional moo milk ice cream. I found Laloo's Goat Milk Ice Cream. She offers a bunch of exotic flavors that hit the spot for me. It is based out of Petaluma but is available online and in markets around the US. I guess it is still a regional ice cream even though it is available in many states.

I know goat milk might sound weird, but it actually tastes the same as cow milk ice cream. Plus the nutritional value rates higher than traditional brands. Basically, Laloos is friggin awesome. Had to share it with y'all!

jettababs
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 10/9/07 4:05 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Ritter's yet. It's an Indianapolis-based custard stand. They do custard and custard only, no sandwiches or anything, but it's wonderful stuff. Usually have vanilla, chocolate, and a couple of flavors of the day. Turtle Somethin' is the best, with huge ribbons of caramel and fudge and nuts swirled throughout. They also have several types of sundae, but the custard is rich enough that one scoop usually does it for me.

Unkle Lunkle
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sun, 06/15/08 5:07 PM
I scream, you scream, I'll scream for any ICE CREAM!

southof30a
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sun, 06/15/08 8:09 PM
Velvet Ice Cream between Newark and Utica, Ohio on St. Rt. 13. Been there for generations. Store is built inside an old water power grist mill, hence the name "Ye Old Mill". Factory is next door. Store has sandwiches and ice cream. Fried bologna is good. For ice cream, try a Terrarium>

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
RE: Great regional ice creams - Mon, 06/16/08 5:29 PM
Isaly's and Handel's in Western PA. - "White House" - cherries and vanilla!

High's in VA - chocolate marshmallow!

Braum's in the southern plains - chocolate pecan divinity!

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
RE: Great regional ice creams - Tue, 06/17/08 1:00 PM
Brown Cow in upstate NY is really good. We got 2 pints at a small store a few weeks ago. The peach was really good and the chocolate was devine.

Mrs.Crunch
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Great regional ice creams - Sun, 06/22/08 11:23 AM

Jeni's Ice Cream (Columbus Ohio)
Strawberry Buttermilk ice cream in a Waffle Cone and Banana Caramel in the Cup
My favorite flavor is her "Bourbon Pecan"
I will admit this artisanal ice cream is Expensive but well worth the coin

Happy Summer everyone!!

mrmet6986
  • Total Posts : 22