The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 who makes the best french fries

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 149
Author Message
BlueberrieSwirl

  • Total Posts: 22
  • Joined: 3/9/2006
  • Location: Crimora, VA
RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 03/9/06 11:47 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by varelas

Today on the home page of AT&T worldnet they have a poll on who makes the best french fries. Mcdonald's is leading at 42%. I do like the fries there but I rather have them from the local hamberg joint. They are only at 17%. Go cast your vote.


I haven't heard them called hambergs since I was at Wilson's in Ohio last.. mom's side grew up all around Findlay. I miss that place..we still stop there every time we visit her family.

Ontopic.. I actually have to say I like BK's new fries out of fast food stops, and the Outback's chili cheese fries out of sit-downs. Chain-speaking.

I really crave a good steak fry lately though. I'm here to find more home-grown spots in the Waynesboro area, so hopefully I'll pick up a few local hamburger joints with good fries.
 
#61
    ScreenBear

    • Total Posts: 1504
    • Joined: 9/18/2005
    • Location: Westfield, NJ
    RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 03/9/06 11:56 PM (permalink)
    The Original O's, Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
    The Bear
     
    #62
      fastfood

      • Total Posts: 82
      • Joined: 7/12/2005
      • Location: S, MO
      RE: who makes the best french fries Tue, 03/14/06 11:55 PM (permalink)
      Arby's curly fries are the best in my opinion. They are so curly,delicious and mouth-watering.
       
      #63
        BuddyRoadhouse

        • Total Posts: 4082
        • Joined: 12/10/2004
        • Location: Des Plaines, IL
        RE: who makes the best french fries Wed, 03/15/06 12:38 AM (permalink)
        Does the curliness add to the deliciousness, or is it there for purely asthetic purposes?

        Just wondering,

        Buddy
         
        #64
          stevencarry

          • Total Posts: 359
          • Joined: 2/18/2006
          • Location: San Rafael, CA
          RE: who makes the best french fries Wed, 03/15/06 12:47 AM (permalink)
          Forget curly. The winner is steak cut crispy on the outside, buttery on the inside.
           
          #65
            multi-packing

            • Total Posts: 1
            • Joined: 3/15/2006
            • Location: belgium, NY
            RE: who makes the best french fries Wed, 03/15/06 3:02 PM (permalink)
            the country of fries is belgium and the best in the world (my opinium)
             
            #66
              BrooklynBill

              • Total Posts: 187
              • Joined: 6/8/2005
              • Location: Gardiner, NY
              RE: who makes the best french fries Fri, 03/17/06 12:29 PM (permalink)
              Nathan’s in Coney Island was always #1. It was followed closely by Thrasher's in Ocean City, MD.
              But a few years ago -- in Savannah, GA at Paula Dean’s Restaurant – The Lady & Sons, I discovered something called Jelly Roll's fries. They are a batter dipped fried potato, that are prepared and cooked by their inventor -- a woman named Jelly Roll. They are so outstanding that they gave them her name.
              They may not qualify as a true french fry but they may now be my new #1.

              Bill
               
              #67
                CoastFan

                • Total Posts: 116
                • Joined: 1/23/2005
                • Location: Issaquah, WA
                RE: who makes the best french fries Sun, 03/19/06 10:39 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                The McDonalds fries of years ago when they used beef fat.


                Second this vote. Years ago, when they finished off the fries (second cooking) in the beef tallow, those were the best..
                 
                #68
                  SassyGritsAL

                  • Total Posts: 1089
                  • Joined: 10/27/2005
                  • Location: Huntsville, AL
                  RE: who makes the best french fries Tue, 04/4/06 4:43 PM (permalink)
                  Was reading a thread earlier that someone fries their "fries" in duck fat. Has anyone tried this? The best fries I have ever eaten was in Germany. They had these little carts around called (I think) SnellImbus which means something like quick stops. They were delicious, but it has been years since then. I also double fry my fries at home.
                   
                  #69
                    lleechef

                    • Total Posts: 6246
                    • Joined: 3/22/2003
                    • Location: Gahanna, OH
                    RE: who makes the best french fries Wed, 04/5/06 12:03 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by multi-packing

                    the country of fries is belgium and the best in the world (my opinium)

                    AMEN!!! The "frites" in Belgium are the best I've ever had. Living on the France/Belgian border for 4 years, most Saturday nights a group of us would go to Belgium for "saucisse frites"........a paper cornet stuffed with grilled sausage and fries........my choice of dipping sauce was "sauce Americaine" which is mayo with chopped pickle, tomato paste and some hot sauce like Tabasco. Wash it all down with a Belgian beer like Chimay or Rochefort. Divine!
                     
                    #70
                      Niagara

                      • Total Posts: 983
                      • Joined: 2/26/2006
                      • Location: Topeka, KS
                      RE: who makes the best french fries Mon, 04/10/06 10:11 AM (permalink)
                      It's not fast food, it's not roadfood, and it's realllly not cheap food, but the best french fries on the planet are at Bouchon, Thomas Keller's bistro in the Venetian in Las Vegas. We ate there last weekend, and Tony Bourdain was right.
                       
                      #71
                        myway

                        • Total Posts: 308
                        • Joined: 9/20/2005
                        • Location: Ft Wayne, IN
                        RE: who makes the best french fries Tue, 05/30/06 9:44 PM (permalink)
                        Hi,
                        I second CSD's pick. Pommes frittes for me. I spent sometime in Germany where Yaegerschnitzel mit pommes Frittes was the order of the day, along with copious amounts of Weissen beer! I did not know how they were made, all I knew there was nothing like them. I might have to try the animal fat thing out. I would love to taste them again, and the Weissen beer too! LOL
                         
                        #72
                          Sourdust

                          • Total Posts: 32
                          • Joined: 1/16/2006
                          • Location: Burlington, VT
                          RE: who makes the best french fries Tue, 06/6/06 10:58 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by lleechef

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by multi-packing

                          the country of fries is belgium and the best in the world (my opinium)

                          AMEN!!! The "frites" in Belgium are the best I've ever had. Living on the France/Belgian border for 4 years, most Saturday nights a group of us would go to Belgium for "saucisse frites"........a paper cornet stuffed with grilled sausage and fries........my choice of dipping sauce was "sauce Americaine" which is mayo with chopped pickle, tomato paste and some hot sauce like Tabasco. Wash it all down with a Belgian beer like Chimay or Rochefort. Divine!


                          Another vote for Belgian-style fries. Current favorites for me are at the Alchemist Brewpub in Waterbury, VT (with homemade mayo!) and Hopleaf Belgian Bar/Restaurant in Chicago. Best EVER though were Greek steak fries at an awesome cheapo Greek place in Evanston IL that I think is gone now due to one too many condos beating it out of its space. They were fried in olive oil and seasoned with oregano and rosemary....just amazing.
                           
                          #73
                            sham tha hot dog man

                            • Total Posts: 13
                            • Joined: 4/23/2006
                            • Location: dunnellon, FL
                            RE: who makes the best french fries Sun, 07/2/06 4:14 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by scbuzz

                            I really like McDonald's fries if they are HOT as Sundancer said ! I like them hot and salty with a chocolate milk shake !!! I have not really tasted any others that I like ! I like Mustard on my fries !!

                            There is a local burger joint in the town where I work (Rockaways)that makes excellent crinkle-cut fresh and hot fries. They have excellent burgers to boot !!




                            yeah hot freshly cooked mc'd's are great , especially dipping the fries in the chocolate shake and eating em . been doing that since i was a little kid ... sounds wierd but tastes excellent ...
                             
                            #74
                              HankNBugsy

                              • Total Posts: 79
                              • Joined: 6/3/2006
                              • Location: La Vernia, TX
                              RE: who makes the best french fries Mon, 07/3/06 4:45 PM (permalink)
                              I like the sweet potato fries at Firkin
                               
                              #75
                                tamandmik

                                • Total Posts: 949
                                • Joined: 6/25/2003
                                • Location: Las Cruces, NM
                                RE: who makes the best french fries Mon, 07/3/06 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Sourdust

                                quote:
                                Originally posted by lleechef

                                quote:
                                Originally posted by multi-packing

                                the country of fries is belgium and the best in the world (my opinium)

                                AMEN!!! The "frites" in Belgium are the best I've ever had. Living on the France/Belgian border for 4 years, most Saturday nights a group of us would go to Belgium for "saucisse frites"........a paper cornet stuffed with grilled sausage and fries........my choice of dipping sauce was "sauce Americaine" which is mayo with chopped pickle, tomato paste and some hot sauce like Tabasco. Wash it all down with a Belgian beer like Chimay or Rochefort. Divine!


                                Another vote for Belgian-style fries. Current favorites for me are at the Alchemist Brewpub in Waterbury, VT (with homemade mayo!) and Hopleaf Belgian Bar/Restaurant in Chicago. Best EVER though were Greek steak fries at an awesome cheapo Greek place in Evanston IL that I think is gone now due to one too many condos beating it out of its space. They were fried in olive oil and seasoned with oregano and rosemary....just amazing.


                                Yet another vote for the Belgians. In my case, the Pommes Frites at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia are tops.
                                 
                                #76
                                  roadrash

                                  • Total Posts: 231
                                  • Joined: 6/5/2006
                                  • Location: Glendale, AZ
                                  RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 07/6/06 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                  I like Chick Fil-A's waffle fries, as well as White Tower's crinkle cuts. I've also found a diner here in Glendale, AZ that serves delectable crinkle cuts.
                                   
                                  #77
                                    tigerborn

                                    • Total Posts: 52
                                    • Joined: 11/6/2004
                                    • Location: warren, OH
                                    RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/7/06 12:31 AM (permalink)
                                    Taylor's Automatic in San Francisco makes the best damn garlic french fries. Your breath will reek because they use actual garlic instead of salty garlic powder but it's damn good. Pair it with their white pistachio milkshare and you will experience self-indulgent ambrosia. Lori's Diner also makes a good batch of garlic fries as well.
                                     
                                    #78
                                      TheHotPepper.com

                                      • Total Posts: 322
                                      • Joined: 11/24/2004
                                      • Location: NY, NY
                                      RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/7/06 1:47 AM (permalink)
                                      What about that food court joint, Boardwalk Fries? Still around? They were good.
                                       
                                      #79
                                        Xu

                                        • Total Posts: 39
                                        • Joined: 8/5/2006
                                        • Location: Portland, OR
                                        RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 12:20 AM (permalink)
                                        There's few french fry types I don't like.

                                        I like the big fat steakfries, I like the spicy Buffalo fries, and I like the curly fries. The only beef I've ever had was with the local McDonalds, they way over-salt the fries there for some reason.

                                         
                                        #80
                                          Twinwillow

                                          • Total Posts: 4899
                                          • Joined: 4/15/2006
                                          • Location: "Big D"
                                          RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 1:39 AM (permalink)
                                          In Dallas, Texas: Snuffers, Houstons, Lavendou, and, Dunstons.
                                           
                                          #81
                                            TheHotPepper.com

                                            • Total Posts: 322
                                            • Joined: 11/24/2004
                                            • Location: NY, NY
                                            RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 1:56 AM (permalink)
                                            Steak fries rule, like planks made for ketchup!
                                             
                                            #82
                                              TheHotPepper.com

                                              • Total Posts: 322
                                              • Joined: 11/24/2004
                                              • Location: NY, NY
                                              RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 2:11 AM (permalink)
                                              Crinkle-cut are my least favorite, but do you ever get a craving for them???? I do. But I need one of those red plastic ketchup bottles to squirt ketchup on them, not a Heinz bottle.
                                               
                                              #83
                                                TheHotPepper.com

                                                • Total Posts: 322
                                                • Joined: 11/24/2004
                                                • Location: NY, NY
                                                RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 3:09 AM (permalink)
                                                Oops, that was off-topic. Talking about restaurant fries here.
                                                 
                                                #84
                                                  HollyDolly

                                                  • Total Posts: 1065
                                                  • Joined: 1/18/2006
                                                  • Location: Schertz, TX
                                                  RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                                  No Food Dude,we don't have any chip wagons here in the states unless they do in New York City.Ilove the fries at Chester's Hamburgers in Universal City.It's a local San Antonio,TX chain and they use real potatoes with the skin on like my late mother made them.Had some pretty good fries at Charlie's Grilled Subs in the Olympia Forum Shopping Center in Live Oak.
                                                  McDonald's and Wendy's are best hot.I never eat french fries from them late in the evening since I figure they reheat them.
                                                   
                                                  #85
                                                    spicoli

                                                    • Total Posts: 68
                                                    • Joined: 6/25/2006
                                                    • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                    RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                                    While I second the Belgian Frites notion, I have to put in a vote for the fries at Al's #1 Beef in Chicago. Nothing in the Bay Area comes close.
                                                     
                                                    #86
                                                      pmrkr2

                                                      • Total Posts: 319
                                                      • Joined: 6/28/2005
                                                      • Location: new york city, NY
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      natan's in coney island
                                                       
                                                      #87
                                                        sk bob

                                                        • Total Posts: 1801
                                                        • Joined: 12/29/2005
                                                        • Location: South Daytona, FL
                                                        RE: who makes the best french fries Thu, 09/14/06 10:25 PM (permalink)
                                                        Nathans fries used to be good when they were fresh cut.
                                                         
                                                        #88
                                                          Xu

                                                          • Total Posts: 39
                                                          • Joined: 8/5/2006
                                                          • Location: Portland, OR
                                                          RE: who makes the best french fries Fri, 09/15/06 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                                          Nathan's? I've heard others say what you did, I'm going to have to try them, after I travel 3000 miles.

                                                          I know the original resataunt was on thr boardwalk in Atlantic City.
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

                                                          Crinkle-cut are my least favorite, but do you ever get a craving for them???? I do. But I need one of those red plastic ketchup bottles to squirt ketchup on them, not a Heinz bottle.


                                                          They serve those types of fries in some restaraunts, the diner-types out here tend to favor them.

                                                          That's the only fry they used to serve back when I was in school, did the ketchup thing. I like fries that way with fried fish, memories.



                                                          And,
                                                           
                                                          #89
                                                            TheHotPepper.com

                                                            • Total Posts: 322
                                                            • Joined: 11/24/2004
                                                            • Location: NY, NY
                                                            RE: who makes the best french fries Fri, 09/15/06 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Xu

                                                            Nathan's? I've heard others say what you did, I'm going to have to try them, after I travel 3000 miles.

                                                            I know the original resataunt was on thr boardwalk in Atlantic City.

                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

                                                            Crinkle-cut are my least favorite, but do you ever get a craving for them???? I do. But I need one of those red plastic ketchup bottles to squirt ketchup on them, not a Heinz bottle.


                                                            They serve those types of fries in some restaraunts, the diner-types out here tend to favor them.

                                                            That's the only fry they used to serve back when I was in school, did the ketchup thing. I like fries that way with fried fish, memories.



                                                            And,


                                                            Hey me too, LOL. When I pictured them, I actually pictured some fried catfish with them, mostly because of my favorite catfish place that serves crinkle-cut.
                                                             
                                                            #90
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 149

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com