who makes the best french fries

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
varelas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
2004/10/23 09:29:12 (permalink)

who makes the best french fries

Today on the home page of AT&T worldnet they have a poll on who makes the best french fries. Mcdonald's is leading at 42%. I do like the fries there but I rather have them from the local hamberg joint. They are only at 17%. Go cast your vote.

148 Replies Related Threads

Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/23 09:43:18 (permalink)
    I'd have to say if we are talking about fries from a hamburger joint I'd say Wendy's only because i can't remember the last time i've eaten at a McDonalds (years). I love the fries at "Penn Station" or Steak Escape. They have the skins on and a deep golden brown color with a great potato and salty flavor. I must admit i love dipping them into cheese and not ketchup
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/23 10:17:51 (permalink)
    In the Sundancer's own personal opinion, McDonalds and Wendys fries are only good when they are hot and immersed in ketchup. Captain D's has tasty fries but I tend to think they are coated with something.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/23 17:42:24 (permalink)
    McDonald's uses some kind of sugar on their fries to promote browning.

If you had written "who MADE..." I'd say the little sandwich shop called Irv's Lunch next door to Sears in Galesburg IL, that closed over 20 years ago. My dad was the appliance division manager at Sears and would send us to Irv's for fries and sodas when he wanted to get rid of us kids. My sister said, "Yeah, Irv fried his fries in beef tallow, which is what made them so good."

varelas, would you mind if we also talked about what makes great fries great so we can figure out how to do this at home?
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1962
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/26 12:55:31 (permalink)
    The McDonalds fries of years ago when they used beef fat. The new ones are better than most, but to make them taste good with the new veg oil formula, I understand that they fiddled with the recipe, but I didn't know that the secret was sugar. My wife has a thing against frozen fries. From my viewpoint a good fry can be fresh or frozen, as long as it is fresh from the fryer. Bad fries must be easy to make because I have had a lot of them over the years.
    varelas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/26 13:33:58 (permalink)
    Michaelgemmell- we sure can talk about what makes good fries. When I cook them I double fry, fry once to cook and then I fry them again to brown & crisp them up.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/26 13:43:56 (permalink)
    I do!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/26 13:46:10 (permalink)
    I really like McDonald's fries if they are HOT as Sundancer said ! I like them hot and salty with a chocolate milk shake !!! I have not really tasted any others that I like ! I like Mustard on my fries !!

There is a local burger joint in the town where I work (Rockaways)that makes excellent crinkle-cut fresh and hot fries. They have excellent burgers to boot !!

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/27 18:34:08 (permalink)
    The very best fries ever were at my grandfather's hamburger joints back in Springfield, MO. Closed in the '70's, though...

W.F. Cody's in Springfield still has great fresh-cut fries.

In Austin, Martin's Kum-bak (aka "Dirty's") has the best.

Great ones are available at Snuffy's in Hutto, TX.

My friend Ben, who lives on a farm in Paige, TX makes fantastic ones in his little Fry-Daddy.

The absolute best by far in central Texas are available at the "lodge" at Rocky Hill Ranch outside of Smithville, TX.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/27 18:48:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by varelas

Michaelgemmell- we sure can talk about what makes good fries. When I cook them I double fry, fry once to good and then I cook them again to brown & crisp them up.

Ha! How about dropping cold, stale fries in the hot oil to crisp them up

Wendy's is/was notorious for doing this; I bet most other FFR's do it also..." />" />

--Ex Wendy's GM--
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/27 20:38:33 (permalink)
    I have my mother's Sunbeam fryer from the 1950s, and it calls for the two-fry method on the label. It works. You'd think the fast fooders dumping the cold fries into the oil again would work, too, but no. I see In 'n Out doing this every Tuesday. You can see them cut fresh potatoes, incidentally.

We have a Delonghi fryer that has a motorized rotating basket. Yes, it uses less oil, but that also means the oil drops more in temp than other fryers. Rotating out of the oil also means it takes longer to fry, and doesn't seem IMO to improve anything. Please note that I'd use the Sunbeam except for the oil drain built into the DeLonghi. THAT feature is the greatest help. It also features a nylon filter on a box that fits onto a bracket that slides out from the fryer, while your trash is on the floor below in case of drips. Washing is easy when you put the fryer on the drainboard and use your sprayer. We will seek a similar drain system when we replace this--which will be soon, as our unit is NOT reliable.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/27 21:10:47 (permalink)
    The other day I tried the North Carolina Seafood Restaurant at the Raleigh Farmers' Market. It's one of those everything-deep-fried places. Awsome potatos. They call them home fries; they looked like wedge-cut french fries to me. Great hush puppies, too. The fish all probably is frozen, but they do that good, too. I'm going back.
    leslie1787
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/30 12:42:01 (permalink)
    Best fries? Gus' Deli on the University of Tennessee campus.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/31 06:14:25 (permalink)
    I do! Real potatos--real lard-real sea salt-real hot-server with real Tabasco spiked catsup-real good!
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/10/31 08:17:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

Stanich's, Portland Oregon.
    1/2 inch square 6 inch long and dark brown, not golden dark brown. Tjhye haven't changed the oil since the Truman administration.

For chain fries Swiss Chalet/Harveys in Canada.

One wonders if the last person to fill the tank at Nathan's in Coney Island was Nathan Handwerker himself....seriously (OK..SEMI-seriously ),perhaps one of the reasons that the Nathan's at CI is SO good is the curing of the fryer (fries) and griddle(dogs) by a unique combination of not only the salty sea air, but...also the fact Nathan's sits by a VERY busy NYC subway elevated terminal- Several hundred subway trains a day make a sharp turn right across the street,grinding steel dust into the air..that just HAS to get into the fryers...coat the grill..especially in the summer when that whole thing is open to the air most of the day...I wonder...
    verysleepy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/11/05 12:37:57 (permalink)
    Lou...in regard to Nathan's in Coney Island, you forgot the flying grease from the Cyclone ride gears. Actually, no fries I have EVER tried come as close to Nathan's original in Coney Island. They are sooooo sweet.

In Manhattan we have a real good fries place though- Pommes Frites on 2nd Ave and 8th Street. Great fries with innovative dipping sauces.

posted by ConeyIslandLou

quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

Stanich's, Portland Oregon.
    1/2 inch square 6 inch long and dark brown, not golden dark brown. Tjhye haven't changed the oil since the Truman administration.

For chain fries Swiss Chalet/Harveys in Canada.

One wonders if the last person to fill the tank at Nathan's in Coney Island was Nathan Handwerker himself....seriously (OK..SEMI-seriously ),perhaps one of the reasons that the Nathan's at CI is SO good is the curing of the fryer (fries) and griddle(dogs) by a unique combination of not only the salty sea air, but...also the fact Nathan's sits by a VERY busy NYC subway elevated terminal- Several hundred subway trains a day make a sharp turn right across the street,grinding steel dust into the air..that just HAS to get into the fryers...coat the grill..especially in the summer when that whole thing is open to the air most of the day...I wonder...
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/11/05 13:08:58 (permalink)
    I want to eat my fries with Tiki. Those sound so wonderful. Anytime I am out and hot sauce is on the table, I like to mix it in with my ketchup to dip my fries. I like to eat at the places that bring cold bottles of ketcup out to eat with the hot fries. On the rare occasion that I eat fast food fries, they must be hot or I will ask the person behind the counter to please get me some hot fries. Most of the time, they are nice about it.
    alesrus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/11/05 14:38:15 (permalink)
    In & out Burgers fries when they are hot and salty!
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/05 07:54:23 (permalink)
    what about white castle fries?? they are the bomb... they are soooo good and always fresh.. and what better to have with them then a few sliders!!!!

hmmmmmmmmmm hungry just thinking about them...
    ZekeTheCat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/10 12:29:00 (permalink)
    I like Wendy's, White Castle and Steak N Shake fries as long as they're fresh and hot.The old McD's were good but nowadays are just so so.
    Here in Ohio there is Fiske French Fries (concession)at county fairs and other summer events - they have yummy fries made fresh from start(pealing the spud) to finish- they use a multi stage cooking process for frying which cooks them just right. They have a vineger squirt bottle which really makes them good !
    juliev
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/23 09:13:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

I really like McDonald's fries if they are HOT as Sundancer said ! I like them hot and salty with a chocolate milk shake !!! I have not really tasted any others that I like ! I like Mustard on my fries !!

There is a local burger joint in the town where I work (Rockaways)that makes excellent crinkle-cut fresh and hot fries. They have excellent burgers to boot !!

yay!..someone else that likes McD's fries with a chocolate shake.. I even dunk mine in! The place I use to be an asst. manager at has great fries too. They make their own... big fat steak fries..mmmm.. they are great dunked in bleu cheese dressing.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/23 19:42:28 (permalink)

The best fries in Pittsburgh, PA are at the Original Hot Dog Shop in Oakland, on the University of Pittsburgh campus.

Affectionately called the Dirty O by locals, they sell ONE MILLION pounds of spuds a week. Fried in fresh peanut oil, they are a meal by themselves, if you get them topped with either cheese or gravy (wet fries). However, do NOT order large fries, as they can feed a small army.

Check out the Sterns review of the Original. They also sell wonderful hot dogs too! Rick Sebak also filmed them for his PBS Special, A Hot Dog Show.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/23 19:56:04 (permalink)
    I had the fries at the Nathan's in the Phoenix airport. They were the best I've had at a chain. There is a little hot dog place in Hollywood, CA called Skooby's. They have the best fresh cut fries I've had.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/24 12:03:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Saint Matt

I had the fries at the Nathan's in the Phoenix airport. They were the best I've had at a chain.

They're good, aren't they? We have Nathan's at each mall in the area, so they're available quite readily. I just wish the manager at the one in the Echelon Mall in Voorhees wasn't such a crabapple.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/24 12:22:49 (permalink)
    POSTED BY JM199:
    Affectionately called the Dirty O by locals, they sell ONE MILLION pounds of spuds a week. Fried in fresh peanut oil, they are a meal by themselves, if you get them topped with either cheese or gravy (wet fries). However, do NOT order large fries, as they can feed a small army.

That is about two pounds of spuds per second sold. That is one really busy place. There is better than 600,000 seconds per week. If they are not open 24 hours daily, they have a hell of a day shift rush. Must be really good spuds.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/26 21:19:52 (permalink)
    Good work, sleuth!!
    bingo914
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/30 18:36:25 (permalink)
    Thrashers in Ocean City, MD

Look forward to going there every summer.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/30 19:01:57 (permalink)
    One more time, you folks have got to go to this place. Willies Wee-Nee Wagon in Brunswick, Georgia. Family owned and the best hand cut fries I have ever had. Not to mention the hotdogs, porkchop sandwich etc. If you are down in that area forget the GA Pig and go to Willies.

BB
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2004/12/30 19:47:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by juliev

quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

yay!..someone else that likes McD's fries with a chocolate shake.. I even dunk mine in! The place I use to be an asst. manager at has great fries too. They make their own... big fat steak fries..mmmm.. they are great dunked in bleu cheese dressing.

Julie... Have you ever read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlossen? MMMMM... Fries...

FoodDude
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: who makes the best french fries 2005/01/13 19:13:49 (permalink)
    I am from the southwest Ontario region in Canada. I grew up in Sarnia where we have what are called chip wagons, vehicles equipped with grills and deep fryers. One such "chipmobile" as I like to call them is called Albert's Rolling Lunch which specialized in making french fries. They have been around during the summer months located underneath the Blue Water Bridge that connects Sarnia with Port Huron , Michigan since about late 50s early 60s and have been a local landmark. There would be long lineups at Albert's for people wanting their delicious fresh cut fries. I liked them best with some white vinegar and salt. Then we would eat them by the St. Clair River while the big Laker vessels would sail by on a warm summer's evening. They were the best, and they're still around today.
    Are there any places in America tha have "chipmobiles"?
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1