McDonalds Breakfast Buffet??

Post
tdog
Junior Burger
2004/10/25 10:02:06
Here's the deal. When I was on a family road trip 15 years ago, we stopped at an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet at mcdonalds somewhere enroute from Kentucky to Denver, maybe. Then 8 years ago, I saw it again. There was a billboard that advertised for it, but we didn't stop. My boyfriend doesn't believe such a place exists. We were discussing the topic with friends the other night, and someone at the party remembers such a place, but no one can remember where it is, or if it still exists. I'd really like to win the argument with my boyfriend, but more importantly, we'd like to stop there on our upcoming road trip if it's still around. I've discussed this with McD's headquarters, but they said due to the independent ownership of each store, that they'd have no way of knowing. HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THIS?? Any info would be great! I love McDonald's breakfast! -tdog
PS: I'm thinking it was along 64 in Kentucky, Indiana or Illinois, or maybe off of 84 in missouri or kansas?? I was too young to really know.
chezkatie
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/10/25 10:14:47
quote:
Originally posted by tdog

Here's the deal. When I was on a family road trip 15 years ago, we stopped at an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet at mcdonalds somewhere enroute from Kentucky to Denver, maybe. Then 8 years ago, I saw it again. There was a billboard that advertised for it, but we didn't stop. My boyfriend doesn't believe such a place exists. We were discussing the topic with friends the other night, and someone at the party remembers such a place, but no one can remember where it is, or if it still exists. I'd really like to win the argument with my boyfriend, but more importantly, we'd like to stop there on our upcoming road trip if it's still around. I've discussed this with McD's headquarters, but they said due to the independent ownership of each store, that they'd have no way of knowing. HAS ANY ONE HEARD OF THIS?? Any info would be great! I love McDonald's breakfast! -tdog
PS: I'm thinking it was along 64 in Kentucky, Indiana or Illinois, or maybe off of 84 in missouri or kansas?? I was too young to really know.


Back in the late 80's I remember an "All you can eat breakfast buffet" at a McDonald's on Beville Road in Daytona Beach. I do not think it lasted long as the place was filled with senior citizens having their "big" meal of the day. I understand that they lost money having it.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/10/25 10:22:28
Tdoggie,
We have traveled I-64 fairly often the length of the road from St Louis to Ashland KY (and beyond) I have never seen nor heard of the buffet at McDonalds anywhere on that stretch of road. Plenty of Shoney's and BigBoys have come and gone in various locations though.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/10/26 21:49:56
Hey Tdog, here's the deal. Welcome to Roadfood. This is a good place to ask questions like yours because you will get good answers. I as well travel from I-64 in Lexington to Charleston, WV and do not recall seeing anything advertised like this in that stretch.

carl reitz
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/10/27 17:29:56
Some years ago the McDonald's on Ogden Avenue in Downers Grove had a breakfast buffet on Sunday mornings. It was only a couple of months and I never tried it so don't know what it consisted of.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/10/27 17:51:07
If McDonalds ever start offering buffets of any sort, they are on the way out. I have never observed one doing that. It is my observation that once a active restaurant starts offereing a buffet, it is Taps. Adios.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/10/27 18:37:14
I've never seen nor heard of anything like that, either. A breakfast buffet, or a buffet of any kind at any FFR would be gross (aka KFC buffet, of which I have heard of but never seen...) ...
And of course the infamous Pizza Hut lunch buffet...
wilewil
Hamburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/12/10 13:50:58
At least two in Northern Virginia had the buffets. Both discontinued them some years ago. They had eggs, sausage, pancakes etc, the usual McD breakfast items of the times, just not assembled. They were popular and may have even been more profitable since you had to eat a lot to make the price up in EggMcMuffins.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/12/10 13:56:13
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/12/10 14:52:39
Several years ago, after getting my grandson weighed in for a wrestling tournament, we went to a nearby McDonald's to get him some breakfast. While they did not have a buffet, they did have something that was startling: The food was served on actual plates -- you know, the kind you wash and use again; plates that break. We went back to that place a couple of months later and, by golly, they were still serving breakfasts on plates.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2004/12/10 15:01:35
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew




Hey! I know how you feel. Some of the recipes on this sight should make you feel MUCH better.

http://www.jaybrewer.net/fastfoodfever/
VuduHippy
Junior Burger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/11 17:53:30
When I was vacationing in Florida 13 years ago I had breakfast at a McDonald's, in Daytona, I believe and they had the Breakfast Buffet! Ironically, me and the 2 friends I was with all worked for McDonald's at the time, as managers, but never knew about the buffet being tested. Obviously, it was not a success!

John
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 06:28:32
I have never heard of this, but then again, I don'to McDonald's very often.
I just can't imagine how bad a buffet at McDonald's would be!!!!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 11:21:42
I don't know about this whole McDonald's Buffet thing being all THAT bad.
Let's face it, breakfast at the local diner isn't all that healthy either. And, lets look at McDonald's breakfast items...bagels (not jewish bagels, but still bagels), eggs, pancakes, "english" muffins, ham, sausage (like any sausage is all that good for you), bacon (ditto with the sausage.)
These are all regular breakfast buffet stuff. I mean...is there something there that is so much healthier at another diner?
I want to make it clear, however, that I am not saying that we should all go to McDonald's for breakfast, but...if they had a buffet, I might be tempted to try it once -especially if they had real plates.

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 13:24:16
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I don't know about this whole McDonald's Buffet thing being all THAT bad.
Let's face it, breakfast at the local diner isn't all that healthy either. And, lets look at McDonald's breakfast items...bagels (not jewish bagels, but still bagels), eggs, pancakes, "english" muffins, ham, sausage (like any sausage is all that good for you), bacon (ditto with the sausage.)
These are all regular breakfast buffet stuff. I mean...is there something there that is so much healthier at another diner?
I want to make it clear, however, that I am not saying that we should all go to McDonald's for breakfast, but...if they had a buffet, I might be tempted to try it once -especially if they had real plates.




I meant the food itself, not how healthy it is or isn't! Ages ago,which was the last time I was at a McDonald's, I had a sausage burrito, it was dry, hard on the inside and tasteless.

I also think the Mcmuffins and sausage buiscuits aren't that great!

When I am in a hurry, I like the McRib and also the patty melt on a rye bun, but these are seasonal thing and I still don't eat alot of them either!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 15:30:09
I used to like the McMuffins, but agree that they're pretty bland now.
As far as the breakfast burrito, I guess I was lucky, I never had a dried out one...of, course, I always put hot picante sauce on them.

In fact, I was so happy when they added the breakfast burrito BECAUSE of the hot picante sauce.

Now, let me be clear that I'm not a fan of fast food...usually... but the #2 meal at McD's was 2 cheese burgers and fries w/drink. This is what I used the hot picante sauce for. When I drenched on the hot picante sauce, the burgers became quite palatable.

Most McD's around me do not serve breakfast burritos, so I pretty much steer clear of McD's unless for some odd reason I have a big mac attach...which usually comes right before the big heart attack, which isn't really a heart attack at all, but indigestion. ugh!



garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 16:03:55
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I used to like the McMuffins, but agree that they're pretty bland now.
As far as the breakfast burrito, I guess I was lucky, I never had a dried out one...of, course, I always put hot picante sauce on them.

In fact, I was so happy when they added the breakfast burrito BECAUSE of the hot picante sauce.

Now, let me be clear that I'm not a fan of fast food...usually... but the #2 meal at McD's was 2 cheese burgers and fries w/drink. This is what I used the hot picante sauce for. When I drenched on the hot picante sauce, the burgers became quite palatable.

Most McD's around me do not serve breakfast burritos, so I pretty much steer clear of McD's unless for some odd reason I have a big mac attach...which usually comes right before the big heart attack, which isn't really a heart attack at all, but indigestion. ugh!






I didn't know it, but from what You just said the breakfast burrito must be a regional product.

About 15 years ago, McDonalds in this area, had a homemade fried Donut, it was like a good old Donut like Grandma used to make! They sold them for 2 years, then they quit having them. When I asked the Manager why they quit having the donuts, He said "we were one of the regions in the area that carried them as a marketing reserach test".

They sold alot of these donuts, I don't know why McDonalds didn't go national with them
Michelle Wiedemann
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 16:19:20
Here in my little village of Menomonee Falls, WI< both of our big McDonalds have that buffet every weekend. If I can get the kids up fast enough, they get to eat all of the pancakes they want! IT is pretty good I must say, the bacon is crispy and the potatoes are really good, they almost taste like mine...They have biscuits, melted cheese, onions, ham, green peppers set up to add on top of your scrambled eggs, they have muffins, cinnamon danishes, it is a great value. One is right off the freeway and one is deeper in town but easy to find off of 94. I think the price is about just under 5 bucks a person. They also have the bagels with cream cheese so I get to really go nuts with the breads...hmmmmmmm gotta love my carbs!
Michelle Wiedemann
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 16:23:20
I forgot to add that they also serve fruit! Can you believe that? I hate most of fast food food's but this buffet is pretty good.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 16:43:01
Garry,
not sure how "regional" breakfast burritos were. I had them in Upstate, NY ('cuse, Rochacha, Watertown) and in the Piedmont Triad of NC (G'boro, Winston-Salem, High Point)

Here in DC, it's hit or miss. Usually a miss.

But, it may have something to do with the # of hispanic people in the region...although, that wouldn't explain why it was available in upstate, NY...hmmm

Michelle - maybe WI was the test market for the fruit and walnut salad! With fruit on the buffet menu, I might even be able to pursuade my wife to go to a McD's breakfast buffet...maybe


But G, you're right, the donuts was definately one of those regional things. Probably like the "pizza", which I understand was in many regions, but it never really took hold where I lived in NY or NC...probably for different reasons in those regions.
In NY,...well...pizza at McDonald's? no, really....fugetabotit!
In NC...well...I'm not sure they know what pizza is! "what's this Eye-talian pie anyways?"

The most "regional" thing I've ever had was a lobster roll at a McD's in Wilmington, MA. It even had a whole claw on top!

I'm not sure what regional item you could add to McD's here in DC...maybe put some bay seasoning on the fries.
But that's for a new thread - I think I'll start one.


garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/08/23 16:48:54
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Garry,
not sure how "regional" breakfast burritos were. I had them in Upstate, NY ('cuse, Rochacha, Watertown) and in the Piedmont Triad of NC (G'boro, Winston-Salem, High Point)

Here in DC, it's hit or miss. Usually a miss.

But, it may have something to do with the # of hispanic people in the region...although, that wouldn't explain why it was available in upstate, NY...hmmm

Michelle - maybe WI was the test market for the fruit and walnut salad! With fruit on the buffet menu, I might even be able to pursuade my wife to go to a McD's breakfast buffet...maybe


But G, you're right, the donuts was definately one of those regional things. Probably like the "pizza", which I understand was in many regions, but it never really took hold where I lived in NY or NC...probably for different reasons in those regions.
In NY,...well...pizza at McDonald's? no, really....fugetabotit!
In NC...well...I'm not sure they know what pizza is! "what's this Eye-talian pie anyways?"

The most "regional" thing I've ever had was a lobster roll at a McD's in Wilmington, MA. It even had a whole claw on top!

I'm not sure what regional item you could add to McD's here in DC...maybe put some bay seasoning on the fries.
But that's for a new thread - I think I'll start one.





There are 2 or 3 larger cities in Southwestern Michigan and North Central Indiana that have a Hispanic population, but most of the area don't.

The Area to the east of us, both in Michigan and Indiana has a large mennonite and amish population.
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/01 14:23:09
Quite a few DC/Maryland area McD's had breakfast buffets as recently as the early nineties as I recall. I never ventured in, but remember the advertisements. About the only McDownalls stuff I'll deal with any more are the breakfast items once in a while. Sausage egg and cheese biscuits, and the big breakfast platter. Grease heaven. Great hangover medication.
Michelle Wiedemann
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/01 19:09:00
HEHHHH The hangove medication, good one! I usually opt for a big mac, then it settles everything, like rotor rooter! Wink WInk...

The buffet does have fruit:) I do love that walnut salad, I get that everytime I go there and steal a couple of fries from my oldest for the sake of not having to eat them and see them go to my rear!

I forgot who was saying something about the breakfast burrito? But, I myself think it is not very good. But, I never added anything to it to enhance it's "super" flavor......ours still sells those.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/01 19:38:45
We're kidding right? Mickie D's buffet?

Send to Hades w/o a fan.
Michelle Wiedemann
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/02 09:59:04
HAHAHA V, yes alas it is true. We have 2 mcd's here in our town and both offer the buffet....pretty yummy for the kids, read the other comments, the food is pretty good for a family:) I would however prefer a nicer breakfast but, with little ones they love their pancakes
Burger Bob
Junior Burger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/17 14:48:20
Do people actually eat McDonald's eggs? Tried them once, taste like rubber.
Michelle Wiedemann
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/18 11:10:43
Burger Bob, my hubs loves their eggs, especially when you can add the cheese and stuff that comes on the buffet. I like the eggs that come on the biscuit, the ones on the muffin can be runny. I worked for McD's for a long time through high school and started there when the biscuits first came out, they are real eggs. I know some people think they are powdered but by us they are real.
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/18 11:58:35
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle Wiedemann

HAHAHA V, yes alas it is true. We have 2 mcd's here in our town and both offer the buffet....pretty yummy for the kids, read the other comments, the food is pretty good for a family:) I would however prefer a nicer breakfast but, with little ones they love their pancakes
Okay, out of curiosity, since I haven't read it yet or I missed it, what does McD's charge for their breakfast buffet?

Do you get the complete run of their breakfast menu including the various breakfast sandwiches and burritos, or is it a limited menu like scrambled eggs, pancakes, and hash browns?
Michelle Wiedemann
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/09/19 18:52:31
Well it has been about a month since we had it, but it was about 5 bucks a person. It didn't have the sandwich meals but it had the makings to make your own, plus it had bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, onions, cheese (melted) Green peppers and mushrooms to put on that, they also have biscuits, pancakes, cinnamon rolls that they sell there, they also have some country styled potatoes, the diced ones with special seasoning that are good as well..they had fruit, and also I think they had pudding for the kids. For that price, it is worth it forthe kids alone...the food is always hot and fresh so for McDonalds that isn't bad. I love the biscuits so I make biscuit sandwiches and I forgot to add they also had french toast triangles. The plates arent' glass but they are the heavy duty ones that dont bend, and you get a new one each time you go back. In our town people aren't into expensive or formal dining in which you get to really treat your taste:( We wind up going downtown Milwaukee for good eats, or like I said in earlier posts, I just cook. Our town is pretty cheap and does not like change. We even have a huge Ponderosa, which I think is very nasty You see cars there packed for lunch all the time but never any other times. I wonder if it is the midwest mentality? LOL...Maybe it could be just the simple fact that many of my community are just real cheap and wouldn't care if all restaurants closed as long as there was a Ponderosa, George Webb and McDonalds? (help me) I think I am doomed. I know that when I cook for folks when they come over, they never know what I am making...sad huh?
Poopy
Cheeseburger
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/10/25 15:09:04
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

I've never seen nor heard of anything like that, either. A breakfast buffet, or a buffet of any kind at any FFR would be gross (aka KFC buffet, of which I have heard of but never seen...) ...
And of course the infamous Pizza Hut lunch buffet...


There is actually a KFC in Park City, KS (home of BTK) that used to have a breakfast buffet. I went with my parents a couple of times. Also, there are at least 2 KFC's in Wichita with a regular buffet.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: McDonalds Breakfast Buffet?? 2005/11/03 22:54:49
Still don't think it is a good idea.