Philadelphia/Center City

jlewis8310
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
Philadelphia/Center City - Thu, 05/1/03 7:02 PM
I will be spending the weekend in Philadelphia soon and staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Center City. Am looking for good places to eat relatively closeby.Also anxious to know if anyone has eaten at Delilah's--and their impressions. Many thanks!

Gordon
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Thu, 05/1/03 8:36 PM
Reading Terminal Market would have to be a must-visit. The Pennsylvania Dutch place always has a line. Jim's Steaks are the real deal. Delilah's, in the Market, always gets good reviews.

And just walking around looking at the shops -- meat, seafood, produce -- is a food experience.

And the Market has one of the best foodie bookshops I've ever visited. Never leave without a volume or two.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Fri, 05/2/03 7:20 AM
Since you're going to be in Center City, go to Chinatown. Take a walk and try any one of a hundred restaurants. Yes, the Reading Terminal Market is worth a trip, as is the Italian Market on 9th Street in South Philly. Pat's and Geno's are on 9th at Passyunk. There are many good bars and restaurants in Old City if you're planning on visiting the historic sites.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Fri, 05/2/03 11:12 AM
Go to Salumeria's in the Reading Terminal Market. They have the best hoagies in Philly. Also it's been a while. But the best cheese steak I had was at rex style pizza on Race Street not too far from the Visitors center. Pat's and Jims's are ok, but Rex is even better!

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Tue, 05/6/03 4:34 PM
As enjoyable as cheesesteaks are in Philly, I find the roast pork subs you get in any number of places around town to be an even better treat. Grab a counter seat at Dinic's in the Reading Terminal Market for one of the best, and make sure to get it smothered in greens. John's Roast Pork in South Philly also dishes out a winner. For great subs of any type, make your way to Chickie's Deli, also in South Philly.

Cubs Fan
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Mon, 06/2/03 1:00 PM
Jim's on South Street is the place I go for cheese steak whenever I'm in Philly.

goldsborscht
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Sat, 06/7/03 12:11 AM
Street pretzels are actually good. Cheap, too. 3 or 4 sticks for a dollar. In New York, they've become terrible. Even though there's comparable to Pat's, I would feel disappointed if I didn't go there on a trip to Philly. I've decided not to visit until the new ballpark opens.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Sat, 06/7/03 5:17 PM
Try going out on Saturday to Mama's Pizzaria on Belmont Avenue in Bala Cynwyd... right across the boro line - City Line Avenue - from Philadelphia. You might want to call for hours and directions. My authority tells me that it is Not To Be Missed... the best cheese steaks and hoagies in the city.
Secondhandly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. Both Pat's and Geno's are decent (I've tried them!), but I gather that there are dozens of better places about. Happy hunting!

RisaG
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Philadelphia/Center City - Mon, 06/16/03 7:27 PM
I used to spend quite a bit of time in Philly, this was years ago. I tried several places for philly cheesesteaks but not Pat's. I thought that Jim's (I think that is what it was called) was terrific. It was on South Street.

Other than that, I've heard that the Reading Terminal Market is terrific. Down Home Diner is in there and I know they are excellent. Run by that guy from Grillin' & Chillin' - Jack McDavid. Supposed to be terrific. I saw Rachael Ray of $40 a Day go in there and she had a most amazing looking plate of eggs and homemade turkey sausage. I would try there.

My suggestions,

RisaG