Milk Shakes or Malts?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
tjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/12 12:24:52 (permalink)
Here's something weird that happened to my wife:

She really likes Dairy Queen chocolate chip shakes. They're made by dumping some chocolate cone dip in while mixing a vanilla shake. The cone dip hardens in little flat flakes if it's made right. Sometimes, though, a big gob will harden on the side of the cup, so you just chisel it loose with a spoon as sort of a post-shake dessert.

Anyhow, recently when she stopped at one of the local DQ's, the mixologist kid told her the owner had told them never to make c.c. shakes again. Didn't know why. She offered him a tip to do one, but he wouldn't.

I rather doubt that it was because they hurt the equipment, since they use the same mixer for blizzards and such that are full of sticky hard ingredients.
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/16 11:30:33 (permalink)
RE: egg creams. Growing up in PA, I had never heard of an egg cream either, but one night while tending bar on a slow night in a Lancaster pub, a young lady from NY came in and we got to talking about this topic, she then told me how to make an egg cream - milk, ice cream, syrup, and a raw egg, mixed in the metal mixing container. I assumed that was the official recipe, after all, she showed me some other "official" versions of things, but I can't mention them here. Just suffice it to say dessert was wonderful. Oh, by the way, best milk shake ever was at the Dari-King on Route 49 between Salem and Bridgeton, NJ. They also serve up Belly Buster hamburgers that are about 12" in DIAMETER. Great road food for those going to the "shore."
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7670
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/16 11:35:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

RE: egg creams. Growing up in PA, I had never heard of an egg cream either, but one night while tending bar on a slow night in a Lancaster pub, a young lady from NY came in and we got to talking about this topic, she then told me how to make an egg cream - milk, ice cream, syrup, and a raw egg, mixed in the metal mixing container. I assumed that was the official recipe, after all, she showed me some other "official" versions of things, but I can't mention them here. Just suffice it to say dessert was wonderful. Oh, by the way, best milk shake ever was at the Dari-King on Route 49 between Salem and Bridgeton, NJ. They also serve up Belly Buster hamburgers that are about 12" in DIAMETER. Great road food for those going to the "shore."

Growing up in NY I am very familiary with egg creams, however the correct ingredients are Milk, Seltzer (carbonated water) and chocolate syrup. No eggs, no ice cream. Ya have to drink it quick or it all goes flat
RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/23 14:20:26 (permalink)
I was thinking about the Mayor's post on "Boston Shakes". I never had one at DQ, but there was a little mom & pop stand in Owego, NY called "Owego Soft Serve" that made them. I always thought that they were definately the best of both worlds.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15178
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/23 15:14:16 (permalink)
Rocky,
The Butterscotch Boston Shake was my favorite!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/07/09 20:07:05 (permalink)
I'm with you Andy---the Chocalate Malt!!! Freindlies Ice Cream Paqrlors in New England used to have something they called an "AwefulAweful"---awful big and aweful good---that with malt added---sheer heaven on a hot summer afternoon
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/07/09 21:35:17 (permalink)
Anything from Ted Drewes is great, but the absolute best is a Malt from an old fashioned soda fountain (if you are lucky enough to find one) just as Julia I described in her post, except for me make it Vanilla, heavy on the malt, and a bit thicker with ice cream than she prefers. Jerry Van Dyke's in Benton, AR, makes a great one - if you can endure the too frequent noise of the music and of the young patrons.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/07/09 21:52:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

... Jerry Van Dyke's in Benton, AR, makes a great one - if you can endure the too frequent noise of the music and of the young patrons.

Liketoeat, do they still have that damn toy train running all over near the ceiling My malt was great (burger was mediocre), but I've steered people away from there because the noise was maddening!!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/07/09 23:13:54 (permalink)
Bushie, yes, unfortunately, last time I was at Jerry Van Dyke's that damn train was still going, and although the kid customer noise wasn't as bad as it sometimes is, the two little waitresses, who could hardly wait on us for doing their karioke (spelling??) singing, were as distracting/annoying as the customers frequently are. It's a pity that a place like that, with some fair foods and really good fountain items, is ruined by all the damn racket (combination of customers, music & other noises, and acoustics). I don't go there as I otherwise would because of the usual high noise level, and I always warn others of it.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/07/10 09:34:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

Bushie, yes, unfortunately, last time I was at Jerry Van Dyke's that damn train was still going, and although the kid customer noise wasn't as bad as it sometimes is, the two little waitresses, who could hardly wait on us for doing their karioke (spelling??) singing, were as distracting/annoying as the customers frequently are. It's a pity that a place like that, with some fair foods and really good fountain items, is ruined by all the damn racket (combination of customers, music & other noises, and acoustics). I don't go there as I otherwise would because of the usual high noise level, and I always warn others of it.

Thanks. I remember being a nervous wreck when I finally got out of there. Sounds like they still get plenty of business, though...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7670
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/07/10 09:45:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

I'm with you Andy---the Chocalate Malt!!! Freindlies Ice Cream Paqrlors in New England used to have something they called an "AwefulAweful"---awful big and aweful good---that with malt added---sheer heaven on a hot summer afternoon

I believe you are referring to Newport Creamery . They had the awful awfuls. Never tried one unfortunatelyWonder if they still have them
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/07/10 10:19:45 (permalink)
quote:
wanderingjew writes I believe you are referring to Newport Creamery . They had the awful awfuls. Never tried one unfortunatelyWonder if they still have them

They do, and they are worth a try, if you can make it to one of the dwindling number of Newport Creamery places around. It's criminal (literally!) what was done to that business...

JL
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/08/13 13:09:21 (permalink)
I love the extra taste sensation that the malt adds to a shake. Also, all New Yorkers know the resulting drink as a Malted and not a Malt.

As a New Yorker, I must also state to anyone who thinks there are eggs in an Egg Cream: Fuhgettaboutit!
Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/08/13 13:19:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

I love the extra taste sensation that the malt adds to a shake. Also, all New Yorkers know the resulting drink as a Malted and not a Malt.

As a New Yorker, I must also state to anyone who thinks there are eggs in an Egg Cream: Fuhgettaboutit!
Yeah, and there are no "fraps" in a frappe, either, but if you want a great "shake", "malt", etc., add a raw egg to the mix - it's wonderful.
chilidawgguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/08/13 15:31:13 (permalink)
I prefer a chocolate shake, properly made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate milk. And it must be thin enough to suck through a straw without getting a hernia.
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/08/13 15:47:20 (permalink)
Sam's in Denver made the best caramel shake--caramel drizzled around the bottom and sides of the glass that didn't all mix in. Fun for a spoon (or tongue) after the ice cream was all gone.
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/06 12:07:13 (permalink)
MALTS ALL THE WAY!! although i like them both-- but my favorite is still traditional chocolate.. why mess with perfection??? (i think the eggnog shakes are pretty good too- but they are seasonal.) but chocolate rules!!!
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/06 13:05:42 (permalink)
I grew up in the midwest and milk shakes were a real rarity until McDonalds came along. Everyone sold malts or malteds. Now we have a generation that doesn't know what malt is.

Chocolate, made with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/06 19:58:48 (permalink)
I only ever liked a black and white milkshake. And we always called it that, except for my dad (he grew up in Philly, as I did, but he grew up in South Philly, so who knows if it mattered or it was his age)...but he always called it "a malted milk". My mom had a restaurant-grade milkshake machine, a light green one, and used to make the best at home. The only place I ever see the malt is in a jar at Shop Rite and I think Carnation makes it.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/06 21:06:43 (permalink)
This site will be the end of some of us. I'll be reading a thread and before the end of it, I'm in the kitchen banging pots and eating. As soon as this missive is posted, I'll be making my favorite dairy beverage-a chocolate malted milk shake. I can do that because I almost always have the ingredients on hand.

Growing up in a family restaurant business, I made many a milk shake and malted for our cutomers. We used premium ice cream and whole milk in the dairy drinks and my Mom made most of the toppings for our ice cream desserts, including the chocolate syrup. We served the shakes in tall, thick walled glasses and the generous amount of leftover shake was served alongside, in the stainless steel blending cup. Gosh, they were good.

I started making chocolate malts at home around 10 years ago. Too many times I could not get a satisfatory chocolate malt at DQ stores, so I gave up. It seems the young kids aren't shown how to make them, and they either put far too much malt in the shake or so little it couldn't be tasted. It wasn't the kids fault. Sometimes they had never heard of one.

For my taste, chocolate malts are best made with premium vanilla ice cream, good quality chocolate syrup, whole milk, and Original Carnation Malted Milk. If you are making one for the first time, add the malted powder to your blender until you get the degree of malt flavor you desire. I tend to use a lot of ice cream.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/06 21:26:30 (permalink)
One of my favorite soda fountain drinks was called an “orange freeze”. It can be made at home using a blender.

Recipe:

Juice of a ripe juice orange
A generous scoop of orange sherbet ice cream
1 teaspoon sugar
Cup of crushed ice
A few T of water

Squeeze every drop out of a ripe juice orange into a blender cup. Then add the orange sherbet, soft crushed ice (like restaurants serve), sugar and just a little water.

Mix it in the blender and serve right away.

This is a delicious drink and is very refreshing in the warm months.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/06 22:19:56 (permalink)
Pineapple Shake is my favorite....Simple, But just the best!
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/07 02:27:16 (permalink)
When I go to the Dairy Queen I usually ask for Hot Fudge Shake.Sometimes throws the counter kid back a second but once explained its no problem.Just hot fudge instead of regular chocolate syrup.Like somebody else said,now other people are asking for it.More soul than regular chocolate shake,I think.
My Dad,rest his soul,use to always ask for Lemon Shake.Sounded weird to me,since Ma always used to say "dont eat leamons and drink milk,it will "curdle your stomach" "(whatever that means).I tried Dads Lemon Shake one time and it was excellent,for a couple years thats all I would order.To a kid,it seemed quite adult.

Malts are great.Just a little sexier than a regular shake.I bought a jar of malt powder once for home and I swear it lasted 7 years.
Bill
Georgetown DE
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3284
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/11 13:34:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

Pineapple Shake is my favorite....Simple, But just the best!

I agree! Forty-something years ago, the Tastee Freeze in Lincolnwood made the best pineapple shakes.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/11 14:12:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

I remember the Awful-Awful milk shake at Bond's Ice Cream in Upper Montclair, NJ.
Have a good picture but I can not figure out how to place it on this site. Anyone with more technical knowhow...I'll send it to them.

lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6626
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/11 14:24:45 (permalink)
DD, email it to Grampy.......he's good at posting pictures!
MaryB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/11 16:01:25 (permalink)
If anyone is ever in Salina, Kansas (in the middle of absolutely nowhere), please go to Bogeys to peruse the over 100 varieties of shakes and malts. The ice cream is just soft serve; however, the flavors and fresh fruit/candies/malt powders/etc can't be beat. Strawberry cheescake is my antidote to a bad day or to make a good day better! They make a decent, greasy little burger too!
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/12 21:38:55 (permalink)
What is malt anyway?
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/12/12 22:21:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

What is malt anyway?

A grain (typically barley) that is sprouted, kiln-dried and ground into a mellow, slightly sweet-flavored powder.

John
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2004/11/25 20:56:49 (permalink)
I always get a malt when possible, with extra malt, but you see less of these nowadays. Shakes seem to be the norm.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1