Milk Shakes or Malts?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
2003/05/01 21:54:28 (permalink)

Milk Shakes or Malts?

My lovely wife will ALWAYS order a Chocolate Shake, while I will almost always get a Vanilla Malt. No matter what flavor, I prefer the Malt. A Root Beer Malt is one of the finest experiences on earth.

What say you, Roadfooders?

113 Replies Related Threads

brianh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/01 23:23:15 (permalink)
    A rootbeer malt? Now I think I know what my dad is getting on his birthday this year. He loves a good rootbeer, and malts are probably a close second. How did you first encounter this "now I can die happy" combination?

For myself, nothing can top a plain vanilla milkshake. Boring, I know, but I am a simple man.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/02 05:11:18 (permalink)
    I love malts AND shakes.. I'll try just about any flavor. But if I'm having a non fruity flavor, it will always be malted.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/02 11:16:30 (permalink)
    brianh, when I was a kid, my grandfather owned some burger joints in Springfield, MO. He used to make them for me and called them root beer "freezes". (A common term for them, I believe.) He would just add root beer syrup concentrate to a vanilla shake. When I got old enough to start working there, I would make my own. One day I thought, "Hmm. I'll put a little malt in there and see how that tastes." The rest is history...
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/02 11:32:28 (permalink)
    Chocolate all the way!!!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/02 12:54:03 (permalink)
    I prefer Shakes ! For some reason, I just don't like the taste of the mixture of a carbonated drink and ice cream. Now give me a thick chocolate shake and I'm happy! I'll take a vanilla shake in an emergency, but do not care for any of the fruit ones !
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2124
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/02 13:37:46 (permalink)
    Malts go wonderfully with a milk shake (or Frappe, here in New England). Is a rootbeer malt just added to a rootbeer float? I never heard that one before.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/02 14:19:24 (permalink)
    Mr. Rushmore, to make one, you really need root beer syrup. We used to get it at my grandfather's place, and if I remember, it was a brand called Hires. That was a LONG time ago, however.

I've ordered root beer malts in various places, so I assume they aren't that unusual. It's just a milkshake made with root beer syrup and malt. Like you said, using root beer soda would just make it a root beer float.

Since you asked the question, I just did a search for some places you could order it (although you could probably find it in local stores):

http://www.freshcoffee.net/torani-Root-beer.htm
    http://www.classicalcoffee.bizhosting.com/classic_root_beer_syrup_.html
    http://www.barharborbrewing.com/products.html
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/soda.html

Hope that helps!
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/08 17:43:17 (permalink)
    Why is it shakes (I like strawberry) go so well with grilled and deep fried food?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/08 18:00:04 (permalink)
    Rummie--
    Strawberry Shake= Pepto Bismo, hehehe

That about says it all--Forewarned is Forearmed !!
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/08 20:48:25 (permalink)
    Here in the Philly area we love our "black and white" shakes. They are chocolate and vanilla together made by using either chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream or vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/08 21:57:58 (permalink)
    Yeah, the Black and White are one of my fav's too. Not many places out west know of them, but some will make it on request.
    Anyone remember the "BOSTON SHAKES" at D Q for a long time...It was a shake with a sundae built into the top half. Hot Fudge on top of a B/W Shake was my order!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/09 00:23:23 (permalink)
    I just saw that the "restaurant of the day" for Friday is Ted Drewes. They will serve you a Root Beer Malt, made the proper way, I guarantee.
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/09 19:53:55 (permalink)
    Yes Bushie Drewes can do it all but the plain custard is the the only way to go for your first taste then get a shake or concrete.

Bumper - wants a cone NOW!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/13 09:51:19 (permalink)
    Confusion reigns!

My wife is THE MAVEN of frosteds. She informs me that the terms "frosted" and "milk shake" are freely interchangeable.
    "Malts" seem to be something outside her area of experrtise.
    Anyway, in The World According To Gail, there are two kinds of "frosteds": "black and white" (chocolate syrup with vanilla ice cream) and "white and black" (Vanilla syrup with chocolate ice cream ). Any other syrups and fruit flavors are held beyond the pale according to her.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 749
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/13 12:34:30 (permalink)
    Never heard of the 'Boston' shake...but I LOVED the 'thick shake floats' that DQ had/has - a nice thick shake with a helpin of DQ[notice I DIDNT say ice cream !] to top it off..mmmm
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/05/13 12:42:11 (permalink)
    Coney,
    Sounds like the same thing...only a generation and 3000 miles apart ! I was in SoCal at the time of the Boston Shakes ! AND They put a ladle of topping on the DQ sitting in the Shake
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/09 14:34:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rumbelly

Why is it shakes (I like strawberry) go so well with grilled and deep fried food?

There's a new little hole in the wall on St. Mark's Place in NYC -- frustratingly, the exact name escapes me, but St. Mark's Place is like two blocks long, you'll find it -- that serves absolutely nothing but milkshakes and grilled cheese sandwiches. It is the most inspired combination ever.

Plus, the time we went in, the owner was playing a bootleg of the Beach Boys' legendary unfinished album Smile, so it was just like home for me anyway.

ETA: A quick Google shows that the place is called The Original New York Milkshake Co., 37 St. Mark's Place, (212) 505-5200
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/10 11:25:11 (permalink)
    Chocolate malt, period. Particularly from some place that still sets it in front of you with the leftover still in the metal mixer container next to it. And not so thick that you can't slurp it up with a straw. (Am I picky or what?)
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/10 13:31:18 (permalink)
    Here's the official (sort of) version:
    Milk shake - ice cream, syrup, milk mixed in a soda shop blender
    Frosted - same ingred. but usually cheaper, and less butter fat, and mixed in a McDonald's or Wendy's machine. Usually comes out like soft ice cream
    Malted - ice cream, syrup, milk, malt powder
    Frappe - french term for thick milk shake usually in New Eng. Comes from the french term for partly frozen fruit drink.
    Egg Cream - milk shake w/ a raw egg blended in. Really rich, but they're wonderful.
    Float (ice cream soda) - Syrup, soda water ice cream mixed justuntil the dip still remains.
    Alot of these terms are interchangeable depending on region, etc., so don't worry about the words, just enjoy the shake, float, malt, frappe. . . .
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/10 14:15:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

Here's the official (sort of) version:
    Milk shake - ice cream, syrup, milk mixed in a soda shop blender
    Frosted - same ingred. but usually cheaper, and less butter fat, and mixed in a McDonald's or Wendy's machine. Usually comes out like soft ice cream
    Malted - ice cream, syrup, milk, malt powder
    Frappe - french term for thick milk shake usually in New Eng. Comes from the french term for partly frozen fruit drink.
    Egg Cream - milk shake w/ a raw egg blended in. Really rich, but they're wonderful.
    Float (ice cream soda) - Syrup, soda water ice cream mixed justuntil the dip still remains.
    Alot of these terms are interchangeable depending on region, etc., so don't worry about the words, just enjoy the shake, float, malt, frappe. . . .

I haven't been able to get a milk shake in more than 30 years. At least, I haven't been able to get what we called a milk shake. A milk shake was just syrup and milk. A freeze was syrup and milk with a scoop of ice cream. A float was a milk shake with a scoop of ice cream added after the stint on the mixer. You could drink all of them through a straw. For the float, you'd use a spoon for the ice cream, only, a straw for the shake part. A malted was just a shake with malt powder added prior to mixing.

Now, an egg cream was chocolate syrup, milk and seltzer water. Am ice cream soda was just syrup, seltzer and a scoop or two of ice cream added.

These were the terms used in the New Haven, Connecticut area.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/10 16:43:56 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    My favorite milkshake in history would be when either of the two Dairy Queen stores here in Athens, Georgia carried our long-gone local soft drink, Budwine. One night, out of sheer boredom, I asked for a peanut butter Budwine malt, and - darned if it wasn't dee-lish! As long as Budwine was available, I continued ordering the item; quite a few other folks caught on and enjoyed the concoction as much as I did.
    Sad to say, haven't had a milkshake/malted/cabinet/frappe in quite some time. Trying to shrink my gut requires abstention, at least for the time being.
    Slowly Shrinkingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Anyone ever had a licorace malted? That's some kind of good, too.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/10 17:04:38 (permalink)
    quote:

I have lived in many places and I have a much higher than average interest in frozen treats of all types, but I have never heard of an egg cream being anything other than syrup, milk, and seltzer. (Basically an ice cream soda minus the ice cream.) Where can I find out about this shake-plus-egg thing? What part of the country is this popular in?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/10 18:42:46 (permalink)
    I have lived in many places and I have a much higher than average interest in frozen treats of all types, but I have never heard of an egg cream being anything other than syrup, milk, and seltzer. (Basically an ice cream soda minus the ice cream.) Where can I find out about this shake-plus-egg thing? What part of the country is this popular in?

The egg cream in New York was originally made with syrup, cream, seltzer and an egg. Later the cream was replaced with milk and the egg was just dropped.

Of course, you could always order a two-cents plain and not worry about the egg, the cream, the milk or the syrup.
    Lucky Bishop
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/11 00:40:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The egg cream in New York was originally made with syrup, cream, seltzer and an egg. Later the cream was replaced with milk and the egg was just dropped.

Oy, what a can of worms you've opened. I'm staying out of what will undoubtedly turn into a very long linguistic argument and will just say that there's no evidence that egg creams ever had eggs in them.

quote:
    Of course, you could always order a two-cents plain and not worry about the egg, the cream, the milk or the syrup.

One of the things I love about my favorite deli (Rein's in Vernon CT) is that the two cents plain costs...two cents.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/11 13:28:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Oy, what a can of worms you've opened. I'm staying out of what will undoubtedly turn into a very long linguistic argument and will just say that there's no evidence that egg creams ever had eggs in them.

quote:

One of the things I love about my favorite deli (Rein's in Vernon CT) is that the two cents plain costs...two cents.
    All I can say is that my father said his father used to make them with eggs anbd cream in his confectionary store in Yonkers. By the way, a two-cents plain for two cents? That's great.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3881
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/11 13:52:50 (permalink)
    My favorite-----and something which may only exist here in So. Calif.-----are fresh date shakes. I find them att either Santa Slaus Lane south of Santa Barbara or Hadley's on the way to Palm Springs. Lots of fresh dates in it-----and I always get mine with some malt too. Deeeeelicious!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/11 14:08:54 (permalink)
    Ed,
    Have you ever watched the movie "Sex Life of a Date"? It is the 'gimmick' at Shield's Date Farm in Indio, CA If this isn't the original home of the Date Shake, it is in the same generation!!!
    We used to attend the Date Festival each February in Indio and over-indulge in Date Shakes and all other forms of date candies etc. It was like a county fair with "I Dream of Jeanie" overtones.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/11 14:11:47 (permalink)
    My favorite is a black and white shake - vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and milk blended until together in one of those big stainless steel glasses. In summer, a peach black and white - peach ice cream instead of vanilla. Place of choice: the Ritz Bar-B-Q in Allentown, PA. The only difference there between a malt and a shake is the addition of a scoopful of malted milk powder.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3881
    RE: Milk Shakes or Malts? 2003/06/11 17:38:49 (permalink)
    Yeah.....I remember going to AZ before the freeway was open all the way and going thru Indio. Stopping at all those little places and sampling the dates. You're right-----it may be where they started. I'm certainly hooked on them------I'm not a sweets person and won't order shakes or ice cream-----but for some strange reason when I see a place has date shakes I lose my self control. Maybe some of it does have to do with those childhood memories----but part of it is that it's one of those "sum is greater then the parts" things. DAte shakes just WORK!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1