Looking for the name of a candy

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/03 13:35:05
Wow, they do sound a little expensive, Delamere, but it'll be worth it to have a taste of the past! (Maybe I'll have my parents and sister share a box... ) I'll look forward to your report when you get your order. And here's the chunky candy you mentioned from the Vermont Country Store:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10314&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=10314

Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/03 13:50:33

Thanks Diner-Lover for the link. Yup, those are the ones. Interesting isn't it. These are more money than the round wafter, and yet it appears the taste and flavors are the same. Wonder besides the shape what the difference is if any?
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/07 00:36:31
Hi all,
I was so excited tonight while searching again for these mints to be lead here! I've been looking for these for years and years. I had checked out Lammes candies, but their price is just way too high. Even for the memory.
I found this web site; http://www.roadfood.com/register/activateregistration.aspx and though they have the same shiny appearance they say "it's white chocolate" flavored with peppermint oil. Need to call them and check it out first.
The ones I remember where just melt in your mouth creamy sugar with the ridges on the bottom. And I thought too each had a different flavor. It appears the Vermont Candy store now has them.
I was also excited while reading here someone mention the french creams. I had forgotten all about those. Now I will pay the price some those.
Has anyone found the mint patties anywhere else that come close anywhere other than the VCS?
Laurie

Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/07 12:29:59
Hi LJBud44,

Glad you found us. To answer your question about someone else who makes these. Don't think any of us here have tried the "new" ones from VS yet although I did place an order. Anyway, here's another place that I did receive the candy, and they were really quite good also not as expensive as VS. See information below.

Name of the company is Hebert's Candies. The phone number is--
888 476-6467 x243. If I remember correctly the candy is less than $4.00 a box. The web address is: www.hebertcandies.com. The mints are NOT on their website so you have to ask for them. I'm not sure, but I think they refer to them as pastel mints. Anyway I'm sure the people will know what you're talking about. BTW these do not have the ridges and are smaller than the originals, but the flavor was pretty darn good.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Delamere
splady
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/08 18:28:15
I just received the mints from www.hebertcandies.com called Pastel Mints....They are close but not quite the same: smaller, a little harder than I remember and too many flavors. They arrived packaged as if they were gold. I bought two boxes and they came in a 2 foot crate with ice packs.

But these are much closer that the sherbert mints from Vermont County Store. I also ordered those and they looked promising but they tasted like white chocolate.

These mints I just bouoght have ridges on the back but in a grid pattern and the mints are a little miss-shaped, not perfectly round like I remember them. The texture is close like dried frosting but not creamy enough in the middle.

I have hope for the new ones that are $20.00 are closer to what we are looking for. Pricey if they are not the right ones.

Can you believe we are all looking for this mint because it was a happy part of our youth or childhood. My Grandmother loved these mints and she would bring them out at @5 pm when they had cocktails and I had an RC cola.

Our memories are triggered by many things-- food being one of the most remembered experiences. All celebrations have food traditions.

Are we all dissappointed we can't bring back the memories along with the mints. Maybe we are searching for our youth. Ok enough of my rambling on....you would think I was a nutcase or something. No just a 47 year old little girl trying to bring back the memories of my Grandparents. And share these mints with my family! Silly isn't it.

Let me know if anyone tried the latest mints.
Stephanie
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/08 18:43:34
Oh what a hoot Stephanie!

You're so right about trying to relive our childhood memories. It's funny just how many of those memories at least for me are encased in food. I have no idea why that's so, but I remember almost every restaurant, holiday dinners, drive-in food experiences of my youth. I even remember what I had for "rest" period in "Tiny Tot School"----saltine crackers and pineapple/grapefruit juice. Weird, just weird. Don't have that great a memory for other things from years gone by, but boy do I remember what I use to eat. :-)

Ok, now that's strange about Herberts. When I got my order it just arrived like almost any other order----nothing special. I do remember the different flavors, but don't remember there were more than the 5 originals we were talking about. Could be. They were just the closest thing I'd found so far that they tasted good to me even though they were much smaller.

As far as the VS ones. I knew not to oder theirs that were advertised for so long since I had called them and they told me they were all one flavor even though the colors were different.

I also ordered the "new" ones from VS, but haven't received them yet. For $20+ dollars they'd better be good.

Keep us posted if you receive your order before the rest of us.

Barbara

Great reading your memories. Mints with cocktails!!!! Now that sounds wonderful----you can have the RC :-)
splady
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/08 18:58:40
I can remember what I had 20 years ago at a family dinner but can't tell you what I had for dinner last week. Silly isn't it! I am going to order the new mints later this week so keep your fingers crossed. I talked to one of the store reps and she said they were hard on the outside but will melt in your mouth.

Have a great evening.
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/10 00:25:48
Oh Splady you had me scared there for a minute when you said the VS sherbert mints weren't too good. I had just placed an order and had to quickly check it to see which ones I had ordered. Thankfully they were their new Pastel mints. Otherwise for 20 bucks I would of cancelled toot~sweet! However the mints are out of stock until 12/5. Like waiting 25 years isn't enough!!
I also order the French creams. Someone in an earlier thread had mentioned these and when I saw them I had to have them. Oh the power of suggestion! I had forgotten (don't know when) all about these. They're right up there with the Merriments for me.
I've had so much fun seaching for these nostagia candies and finding others I've forgotten about. One was the Modjeska's. Reading the origin of these I realized I've got a good friend in Kentucky and she found them and hooked me up, she'll be able to send me twice the amount for half the price. I say cut out the middleman whenever possible.
But thanks to you guys, kindred spirits in the quest for Merriments. I thought I was the only nut. No one else ever seemed to know what I was talking about.

Laurie
p.s has anyone tried making Rubyrose's recipe yet?
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/10 11:10:33
quote:
Originally posted by Ljbud44

I also order the French creams. Someone in an earlier thread had mentioned these and when I saw them I had to have them. But thanks to you guys, kindred spirits in the quest for Merriments. I thought I was the only nut. No one else ever seemed to know what I was talking about.

Plz let me know if the French creams are yummy when you get them.
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/10 12:13:45
You bet I will Dasl_4. I got an email yesterday saying they shipped them, so here's hoping it's soon.

Laurie
crysta1
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/11 15:50:14
Hi all,

Wow, it was great to see the whole discussion of Merrimints. I was really disappointed that the Vermont store didn't include the orange ones; they were my favorites. Whoever it was that related the way they felt when you bit into them as being like the maple sugar candies was dead on! Speaking of which I found something similar at the Wenham tea house in MA a couple years ago; they weren't mints but they had the same sugar crust on the outside, creamy sugar on the inside, feel. They were in the form of molded flowers. I remember them as being hand made but could never locate anything like them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Crysta1
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/11 19:31:16
quote:
Originally posted by crysta1

Hi all,

Wow, it was great to see the whole discussion of Merrimints. I was really disappointed that the Vermont store didn't include the orange ones; they were my favorites. Whoever it was that related the way they felt when you bit into them as being like the maple sugar candies was dead on! Speaking of which I found something similar at the Wenham tea house in MA a couple years ago; they weren't mints but they had the same sugar crust on the outside, creamy sugar on the inside, feel. They were in the form of molded flowers. I remember them as being hand made but could never locate anything like them. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Crysta1

Hi crysta .. the French creams available from the Vermont Country store are just like the maple candies and in either mint flavors or fruit flavors http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=31475&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=31475
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10314&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=38&iSubCat=179&iProductID=10314
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/15 15:15:46
Ok guys I got the french creams today and yes they are yummy! Crystalized sugar on the outside and creamy on the inside just like I remember. The flavors are spearmint, lemon, orange, wintergreen and peppermint. But...remember in my last post when I mentioned cut out the middle man whenever possible? This is where VCS orders from:http://www.oliverscandies.com/ at a considerbly higher cost. I paid $22.95 for these from VSC and just got off the phone with Olivers and ordered two more boxes, regular and fruit flavors for $16.95 a box! The gal there tells me each candy is hand made. And I should have my order in 3 to 4. She also tells me the shelf life will be fine through the holidays.
I warned her they may be getting some calls for these after I put the word out. LOL
When you go to Olivers web~site type in "french creams" this way you'll see all the choices.
Still waiting on my Pastel mints from VCS though. Thinking of ordering some from Herbert's. Has anyone else and what are your recommendations?

mouth full trying each one.
Laurie
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/15 17:37:29
Hi Ljbud44,

First of all a large BRAVO to you for finding this other source. Can't wait to look at their site. Wonder if they also do the Merrimints.

Yes, I ordered from Herbert's. The taste was good; however the candies were smaller, but then again, so was the price. Think I spent about 4 for the candies plus shipping.

I'm still waiting for the mints from VCS, but don't think they'll come till after the holiday. If you get yours before Thanksgiving let us know.

Delamere
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/15 20:51:21
Well Delamere when I called them to place my order one of the very first things I did ask was whether they had the Merriments or anything similar. She didn't know what I was talking about.
Thanks for the heads up on Hebert's, I think I might just give them a try too.

Laurie
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/15 22:23:17
Hi Laurie,

I just looked at my VCS catalog and while reading their description on the merrimints I noticed that there were only 4 flavors! Boo! Seems like the orange one is missing. Think I'll give them a call tomorrow and "complain". Seems to me someone else on this thread mentioned the orange not there also.

That reminds me there was also another flat mint that I think either Russel Stover or Whitman's put out. I may be wrong about the company, but I remember they did a bunch of candies that came in long flat boxes and were always on one of the corner ends of the local drug stores. Unfortunately they're no long around either.

So many candies, so little time-----sigh

Barbara
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/15 23:54:01

Oh Barbara so right you are, so many candies and so little time. I spend a lot of time looking for nostalgia candy. Almost like a hobby. Kind of like a walk down memory lane. I get a kick out of finding a long lost love I forgot all about like the french creams. When I told my Dad who's terminal about finding the french creams and pastel mints he too was thrilled. I can't wait to share these with him for the holidays. These were the candies I had as a child at his parents house. So it brings back memories for him too.
Your right I think too there was an orange one. I also remember you mentioning the white wasn't your favorite, not mine either.
I noticed in the VCS catalog the Boyer Smoothie, again go to the source. I ordered a case of these from Boyer and froze them. They last a long long time in the freezer. I've had some for a year or more. But I do find here in Michigan many places are bringing back the nostalgia candies.
I never cared for Russell Stover candies, but Whitman's Sampler was always a winner. I usually get one each Christmas. However, I don't remember either ever having the mints, just chocolates.
Well here's hoping our mints come soon from VSC and they're worth the wait.

Laurie
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/16 12:41:45
I know Laurie, it's so much fun to relive the memories of our youth especially when it has to do with food. As I said in a previous reply, for some weird reason I'm able to remember so many experiences that had to do with food growing up, and I cannot for the life of me remember other things which probably would be considered major events.

As far as the other mints I was mentioning, I'm sure they came in very shiny white boxes (no window) as did the other members of their candy. All the boxes in this line were small. Small square, small rectangle etc. Think there were some nut whatevers, and other chocolate ones, and then these odd balls that I'm almost positive were pastels wafers. I pretty sure it was a Russel Stover line, and, as you, RS wasn't a favorite candy of mine, but this particular mint was very good and a good substitute for the merriments I couldn't find. It's only been within the last couple of years they disappeared I think.

Anyway, as far as the orange merrimints, you bet there was a very light color orange one, but I'm not positive it was a fruit orange flavor. If so it was slight.

Part of the fun of Whitman's was being able to read the top inside of the box lid to see where all the good ones were. Loved the honeycomb, and also all the dark ones.
essvee
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/16 12:51:47
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but the ones I remember were, I think, not sold in stores, but were promotional in nature, i.e. you bought them from the PTA or some such.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/16 17:47:53
OK boys and girls,

I just received my "merrimint" wafer order from VCS today. I was going to wait for awhile to open it, but what can I say I just couldn't do it....Greed got the better of me :-).

All right.....when I opened the outside box I noticed that the inner box was bubble wrapped which I thought was certainly a gooooood thing. I also noticed that it seemed extremely heavy or at least much heavier than what I remembered. I opened the lid and what to my wandering eyes should appear, but maybe 40 or so wafer mints ALL STUCK TOGETHER!!!! I'm NOT kidding you, there were no spacers used so they all stuck together.

I tried to pull one apart to taste it, and it broke in half. Finally got two that were stuck together, and thought what the heck I'll just try it anyway.

I don't know, I guess I'm so upset about how they arrived I can't tell you what they really taste like, but trying to be as objective as possible, I still don't think they're what I remember. I know time can certainly dim memories, but these are, well, I don't know....just not THAT different flavor wise. I mean they are different, but just not the same. Also as you know, there are no orange ones.

I think I'll wait until one of the rest of you gets their order, and maybe you'll have a better experience. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed :-(
june61644
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/16 19:01:32
I would email the company and let them know you are unhappy
how they arrived for that much money i expect better
i also searched for years for merrimints and french creams
brach use to make an excellent french cream around christmas time
after years of searching i found french creams on a website in canada
i ordered and guess childhood memories are different cause they were yucky
so if anyone says the french creams from olivers is excellent then i will order
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/16 21:07:01
Hi June,

Yeah, pretty discouraging I must say. Think I'll call them tomorrow, and if they want me to follow with an email I will. Don't think I'll even take another box if offered from them since I wasn't that impressed with the taste either.

The box says "Olivers" on it, so obviously that's who's making them for VCS.

Good luck, perhaps the French Cremes will be better....hope so.

Barbara (Delamere)
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 00:27:50
June I can say a big YES on the french creams I ordered from VCS (which actually came from Oliver's ~ link posted is in a previous thread above from me) are excellent! In fact I immedialty called Oliver's and order two more boxes, one of each flavor.

Barbara, did you say the merriments you just received had Oliver's name on the box? Interesting because like I told you they didn't know what I was talking about. hummm Now the merriments I'm waiting for from VCS are the ones they said they had especially made for those looking for Merriments. Are those the same ones you ordered?

I still need to try Hebert's but I've spent so much money already trying all these other places.

Laurie
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 00:33:06
Oh and p.s. Barbara I would absolutely call them and complain. My goodness to wait this long and spend that kind of money just to be dissapointed. No way!
Their guarantee> "We guarantee our merchandise to your satifaction. We will exchange any item you return or promptly refund your money."
They even include a return label along with a postage paid label on your statement. Go for it.

Good luck.

Laurie
Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 08:50:31
Trytuckscandy.com its a local candy shop in Rockport, MA that has tipped mints that look like what your looking for. They have been around for many years and have great fudge, along with many other selections of candy.When you go to the home page go to sweet selections and scroll down. I hope this helps.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 12:20:38
Good Morning Laurie,

Yup! I ordered the "merrimints" for VCS and they came in a long rectangle white box, NO window and had the name "Olivers" written in white script in a dark blue horizontal oval on the top. To the right of the name is printed "Pastel Mints" and then on the side of the box is an address in New York.

Only thing I can think of is they're (Olivers) making them for VCS.

Can't wait for you to get yours and hope you have better luck than I did, and yes, I'll call VCS and return them.

Barbara
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 12:26:33
Thanks Linda for the "heads up". I'll check with Tucks.

Barbara
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 14:36:38
Well I'll be darned Barbara I'll have to call Oliver's and see what's up. Perhaps I just got someone who wasn't familar with their selection. I'll describe to them what you said and also get a catalog.
I do hope mine come in better condition.

ttfn,
Laurie
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 14:42:46
Laurie,

You may find it's a relationship between VCS and Olivers just for this particular candy and is only carried by VCS. At least that's my guess.

Barbara
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 15:01:50
Ok Barbara here's the scoop. I'm on the phone with Oliver's now and your right at the moment they do only make them for VCS exclusively, and they are on back order because they are hand~made and they can't keep up with the amount VCS have requested. So I'm told they won't even be available again until Jan.
They call them "creme wafers" not pastel or merriments.
She told me how surprised they were at the amount of orders they have gotten for these. I told her VCS charges a great deal for these and if they would sell to the public they'd sell a lot more. Because once we satisfied our taste for them for the price VCS is charging we probably would not buy them very often. Although she didn't know what the price was that Oliver's charges.
I also informed her also how dissapointed you were with the condition of your candies. Not that she could do anything about it.
So guess I'll still wait for mine from VCS and check with Oliver's in Jan.

Laurie
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 16:54:07
Great Laurie,

Thanks for the follow up. I'm really glad you told her about my experience because UNLESS mine was a one time happening I'm afraid if what she says is true about being deluged with orders then there are going to be boat loads of unhappy customers. I mean, it may have been a complete fluke that this happened to me, but as I'm sitting here writing to you I'm looking at the candy, and believe me these suckers are glued together like passionate lovers.....I mean there is no prying them apart.

Oh, BTW, I wrote to VCS, and told them how disappointed I was. Unfortunately I threw away the box never thinking I had to return candy. We'll see. Sure hope they get on top of this. I also told them about not including the orange ones-----big mistake IMO.

Keep us posted and can't wait till your order arrives.

Barbara
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/17 17:37:48
I have ordered the French creams Fruit French creams and the Christmas French creams(includes cinnamon flavored)from Olivers.I wish my local candy stores that carry the Vermont Maple candies would carry the French Creams too to save on the $9.00 shipping charge .. but as long as they are yummy I will be ok :)
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/11/21 14:34:33
Well my candy arrived from Oliver's

The x-mas flavors peppermint cinnamon and spearmint are pretty good ... the fruit flavored ones though aren't very good. And I just went to their website where they have increased the prices on the French creams .. LOL guess we ordered too many. I doubt I will order them again. :(
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/02 01:24:10
Hi all,
I got my "pastel mints" today from VCS. Except for the fact that they were left on my porch either on or near the door so when I opened it they fell and a few were broken, they were in pretty good shape. Not stuck together and Yummy! The white cardboard box say's Oliver's in a blue oval and are called "cream mints".
There are 4 colors green, white (not my favorite either Barbara) yellow and pink. With all this talk about these candies I don't know now if I remember orange ones or not! How strange. Size, shape and color seem to be the same. Maybe just slightly and I do mean slightly in diameter are smaller but they taste the same to me, especially the pink ones, and they do have the ribs on the backside. I think there are about 72 to 80 candies in the box. I've eaten a few. But there seems to be about 18/20 of each of the 4 colors.
I'm satisfied and when/if I have a craving again I'd order them, but from Oliver's next time. My last order of french creams directly from Oliver's came in about 2 days! Much much quicker than from VCS.
But at this price it'll be a long while before I order any more. I doubt even Oliver's would be that much cheaper considering they raised the price of the french creams. They know the demand.
Well, I've enjoyed this quest with all of you. Since starting here I've located 3 of my favorites and just this week found the 4th, Raspberry's & Blackberries. A Haribo gummi from Germany. I found it locally at a reasonable price, instead of bulk fills at twice the price. My hubby travels internationally just not to Germany anymore. Wish I had figured this one out last year!
Well, off to search for another, LOL but I'll check back periodically to see how ya all are doing and if I can help search with ya.

Happy Holidays!

Laurie
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/02 12:52:50
Hi Ljbud44,

I'm so happy to hear you finally received your order, and even more important that they arrived in good shape. Maybe mine was just a freak happening. I'm sitting here looking at them right now, and they are all smashed together with no way of getting just one wafer in tact. I'm assuming yours didn't have any spacers either. I also remember them being a bit larger in size more along the size of those round, thin chocolate mints that used to come in the long boxes.

Anyway, as far as the orange ones......I'm almost positive they were there, but orange may be a bit misleading. Seems to me they were more in the sherbet pastel orange shade, more a light coral perhaps. Only reason I seem to remember them is they were my favorites. Flavor a little hard to describe, not really an orange taste.

It's been fun and guess I'll order some of the French creams to see how they are.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Barbara (Delamere)
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/02 23:24:55
quote:

Raspberry's & Blackberries. A Haribo gummi from Germany

They sell them at Walgreens and a store called International Marketplace around me
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/03 12:23:26
Barbara, for what it's worth I like the regular french creams better than the fruit. fyi
Your discription of the orange mints do jog a memory. Still can't be sure. And no I had no spacers in my box either. The box also says 8-10 days shelf life. We'll there's no way I'm going to eat these so quickly after waiting for them all these years! I'm going to savor every bite. And also I don't plan on buying more anytime soon at that price.
Thanks dasl_4 that's exactly where I did find them. I bought several bags.
Knowing of Walgreens any chance you live in the east? Michigan?
Laurie
tat4229
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/03 16:59:40
They were called Merrimints, and they are now sold at The Vermont Country Store.
tat4229
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/03 17:03:55
French creams can be found at Oliver's Candy in N. Y. I've bought them, and they are terrific! Similar to Merrimints, but creamier.
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/03 19:49:14
quote:

Barbara, for what it's worth I like the regular french creams better than the fruit. Knowing of Walgreens any chance you live in the east? Michigan?
Laurie

I agree about the reg. flavors being better than fruit ones ... Florida actually.... But am from the midwest and Indiana has Walgreens as well.
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/04 07:28:26
I sometimes forget what I had for breakfast but I sure do remember Merrimints. There were 5 flavors and orange WAS one of them. It was a pale orange color and the flavor was also orange but not too strong, more of the taste of canned mandarin oranges.

I got a box from VCS and mine arrived fine - not a passionate lover in the bunch. The size and shape was right on target. The taste was good and a very close approximation for recreating something that no longer exists except in our memories.

For me, the only unanswered question is whether VCS added them to their lineup based on seeing this thread. I would be interested in knowing that.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/04 12:11:19
Whew! Thanks RubyRose---I knew I was getting older, and while my memory is probably fading a tad I was almost positive about the orange, and yes, I'm sure you're right about the flavor. Just seemed to me if it was an orange flavor it was very slight. Think I remember it as being a "refreshing" flavor.

Now, the size, I remember as being a little larger, but then again when you're young I think you remember things as being larger than what they really are. I know that's certainly true about revisiting past homes. They always turned out being smaller than what I remembered.

Anyway, I'm happy to know yours arrived in great shape. I'm sure my experience was a freak thing.

Barbara (Delamere)

lisaonthegoco
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/17 13:37:31
Is Fannie Farmer extinct? My mother used to buy a slender box of colored mint wafers called "sherberts" from Fannie Farmer candy store in Billings,MT. They had ridges and when you sucked on them they had a whisper of lemon for the yellow ones and orange for orange. I also bought the VCS and was disappointed that they were just colored wafer of the same flavor and really only tasted of sugar.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/17 13:53:14
Hi Lisaonthegoco,

Interesting--I'd forgotten about Fannie Farmer. I just did a search and found this about them on www.chocolatecritic.com .

Saturday, July 10, 2004

"Question: What Ever Happened to Fannie Farmer?

A reader writes: “What happened to Fannie Farmer Candies? All the retail stores in Massachusetts seem to have gone away. They were the only place I could get buttercream chocolates. Lindt and Godiva do not seem to do buttercreams, and in the case of Godiva their chocolates are very pricey. At least Fannie Farmer used to be a reasonable price and were good.” Sad to say, Fannie Farmer/Fannie May went out of business (actually, they filed Chapter 11) earlier (January) this year. ... "

As far as VCS try them again. They've just put out some mints that are different flavors. They didn't include the orange ones, but the other 4 are there. Not bad tasting although I had a problem with them being stuck together when they arrived. Other's seem to have had a better experience.

Good luck,
Delamere
dasl_4
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/21 00:30:31
Merry Christmas .. Happy Holidays .. Hope everyone has their fav. candies around
Ljbud44
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2005/12/21 00:48:44
Thanks dasl_4. The same to you and all here.

Laurie
clbmd
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/26 22:11:42
I grew up in SE PA and my great grandmother used to fill her candy dishes with crystal cream mints. They were the ridged disks in pink (wintergreen), white (peppermint) and green (spearmint). God, they were exquisite!!! I never forgot them and then I found them in a different version by chance at Stutz's - holiday shapes for every occasion, and they're just as good as the disks. Stutz's has made candy since 1933 and is pretty big in the NE Philly suburbs. When I go home to visit I stop there and buy at least 10 boxes ($4.99 a box of about 20). Their assortment also includes lemon mint which is very good, too, and I think orange mint can be had.
I rarely eat candy, but when I get my hands on these things I grab a good book, get under the covers and eat until I go into a sugar coma.
Stutz's number for their Warrington shop is (215)343-6212.
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/26 22:21:37

Hi Clbmd,

Wow, where were you when we needed you :-) . That's great! I wonder if they have a website. If you've read this whole thread you know we've tried a couple of sources with varying results. Yours sounds very promising even though they're not the round shapes.

Thanks so much for your comments. I'm off to see if they have a site and order from them.

Delamere
clbmd
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/27 09:12:06
I get cravings for these things and I'm having a big one now... lol. There's no website, unfortunately. I've searched for years. You just call and place your order. They don't offer the disks, but at Christmas the candy is shaped like Santa, christmas trees, candy canes, etc. At Easter, bunnies, chicks, and so on.
I just ordered almost $100 worth of candies including crystal cremes from Vermont Candies and Yummies just to see what they're like. I used to love Reeds cinnamon candies, those peppermint sticks that just dissolve in your mouth, the filled raspberry candies and all kinds of other things I remember from childhood so I've got quite a treasure trove coming soon. I'm starting to regret finding this site!!! Gee... thanks - I'll blame any extra poundage on you.
Cee
quote:
Originally posted by Delamere

Hi Clbmd,

Wow, where were you when we needed you :-) . That's great! I wonder if they have a website. If you've read this whole thread you know we've tried a couple of sources with varying results. Yours sounds very promising even though they're not the round shapes.

Thanks so much for your comments. I'm off to see if they have a site and order from them.

Delamere
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/27 13:34:25
Hi Clbmd,

Oh no you don't--- I have enough trouble with my own poundage :-). I'll be curious to know how you like the ones you get from the VCS. I'm not sure if you read my "review" on page 5 of this thread, but I was extremely disappointed starting off with the whole box of wafers were stuck together---I never got even one whole wafer---- and there were no separators between the flavors. Think someone else who got theirs from VCS had a better experience, so hopefully your experience will be better than mine. Anyway, I'll call Stutz's. Don't remember "Yummies". I'll have to search that one out also.

Delamere
clbmd
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/28 09:34:18
Oh...well... it was worth a try... lol
I think Yummies has better prices than Vermont on some things. Vermont has a 54 piece box of formed crystal cremes for $22.95 which comes to about 42 cents a piece. Yummies disks come in assorted, wintergreen and peppermint as well as lemon and orange for about 29 cents a piece. I'm trying both just to see how close they are to Stutz's.
I did read your review and if I remember, sheesh! 40 years ago when I was a kid that was the norm. I'm hoping with cooler weather that won't happen. Then again, I figure they'll at least taste the same or at least hope so <g>.
Cee
quote:

Hi Clbmd,

Oh no you don't--- I have enough trouble with my own poundage :-). I'll be curious to know how you like the ones you get from the VCS. I'm not sure if you read my "review" on page 5 of this thread, but I was extremely disappointed starting off with the whole box of wafers were stuck together---I never got even one whole wafer---- and there were no separators between the flavors. Think someone else who got theirs from VCS had a better experience, so hopefully your experience will be better than mine. Anyway, I'll call Stutz's. Don't remember "Yummies". I'll have to search that one out also.

Delamere
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/28 12:35:21
Please keep "us" ( might be just you and me left) informed as to which you think is the best---- look forward to your review. I must say that I enjoyed the taste of the VCS ones, even though I had to eat it like a Popsicle :-)
clbmd
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/29 13:14:08
I will certainly keep you posted - and also on the other stuff I got from Yummies.com. It's been years since I've had the filled hard candy raspberries oh, and licorice pipes! - I'd forgotten all about them! I also ordered the filled peppermint balls from VCS. I tried to get the filled straws but they were sold out. Oh, well. In any event, Hubby will find me curled up with a book on some snowy day just glazy eyed with happiness.
Cee
quote:

Please keep "us" ( might be just you and me left) informed as to which you think is the best---- look forward to your review. I must say that I enjoyed the taste of the VCS ones, even though I had to eat it like a Popsicle :-)
clbmd
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/31 12:11:40
omg omg omg... I just got my yummies.com order! First of all, I'm so pleased with their shipping time - I ordered late on the evening of 1/26 and it's noon on the 31st.
You know the first thing I opened were the crystal cremes... they're absolutely heavenly - exactly the right texture and taste. The price was pretty good, too - $2.99 for a box of 10 good-sized disks.
I bought a box of wintergreen, one peppermint and one assorted. Haven't sampled them yet. I'm a little disappointed that there's no spearmint, but you can't have everything. <g>
I'll keep you posted when I get the Vermont order.

Cee
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/31 12:27:07
Oh that's great, Clbmd, glad you like them. If I remember, I also got them when I first started looking for the "originals" and liked them also. Only thing was I think they were smaller, a little fatter, and not as many in the box as the originals I remember, but really great taste.

Looking forward to your review from VCS.

Delamere

clbmd
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/31 12:33:17
This is pretty funny... it's about 20 minutes after my last email and I just got the package from Vermont. Pretty great shipping time for both...
I ripped open the box and sampled one each of the peppermint and wintergreen. Eh... I'm not as impressed with these and I don't know why. The texture is a little off - more dense than yummies and I know thicker in texture than Stutz's. Not bad, but just a little different. Maybe it's the price - $22.95 for a box of 54 little shaped widgets which is a lot more expensive than yummies (42 cents each compared to about 29 cents each - and the Vermont candy is half the size).
Cee
quote:

Oh that's great, Clbmd, glad you like them. If I remember, I also got them when I first started looking for the "originals" and liked them also. Only thing was I think they were smaller, a little fatter, and not as many in the box as the originals I remember, but really great taste.

Looking forward to your review from VCS.

Delamere

Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/31 12:50:03
HA! That's great! Well, I can't speak to the thickness of VCS since mine were literally all stuck together, but the end piece had ridges at least.

You know I had ordered from another place, I think it might be Herbert's. Let me go back in my posts and see if I can find it. Think they were pretty good, but again smaller.

I'll be back.

Delamere
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/01/31 12:55:45
Here you go Clbmd, try this. I got mine from http://www.hebertcandies.com/ . The candy is called "Pastel Mints" and the price is 7 oz for $3.95. The candy is NOT on their site (or at least wasn't when I orginially posted this), but can be ordered from their toll free number which is (866) 432-3781 extension 243. If that number isn't correct let me know and I'll do it again.

Delamere

Puregrace
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/02/11 16:36:20
I can't believe that so many others are going through the same search for YEARS!!
I have tried VCS/Oliver's mint and while they are close, they are just not the same! We received ours in good shape, but they really are pricey. Lammes is a far cry from the real thing. In my experience Lammes just isn't good at creams. They are quite good at nuts, chewies and chocolate covered strawberries. Meltaways are not MerriMints.
We bought Russell Stovers rendition about 5 years ago, named Rosebud Mints: they came with a piped rosebud on top. Of course they have discontinued them. Russell Stover sent us to a subsidiary candy specialist in Kansas City, but they won't make them either. I wonder if they know what they're missing out on. This site has searched over 2 years to quench tastes . . . You'd think that would be worth something to them. We have also heard of them ny the name Wedding Mints.
We are in the process of trying Stutz's Daisy Mints and Hebert's Pastel Mints. Of course my mother, in Missouri gets to try both since it's cold up there. We will have to wait for the judgement and a visit when she can bring some down south. Shipping at $20.00+ is only worth it if you get THE REAL THING.
What ever happened to the recipe? Did anyone ever try it?
Thanks so much for all your tips and trials. The hunt is on!!
Delamere
Cheeseburger
RE: Looking for the name of a candy 2006/02/11 17:09:26
Hello Puregrace,
Welcome to our little search thread. I'm telling you it's getting confusing with all the ones we've tried. Let's see, think it was Herbert's that I tried and they were OK, but again not what I remember. I'm getting a couple of the places mixed up, but think Herbert's also didn't have the orange ones that were in the original selection.

I remember the Russel Stover's mints also. They really were great and I know whenever I go to our local drug store that carried them I'm always looking to see if they've brought them back. No luck :-(

Someone else on the thread recommended Stutz, but so far I haven't called to try them. Looked for a website, but they don't seem to have one.

Keep us posted on what you find. As you know I'm the one who received the VCS mints that arrived in block form so don't think I'm trying them again. The little pieces I chipped off weren't that good anyway. One of those close but no cigar situations.

Delamere
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6