Sauerbraten

Sirloin
2004/11/02 18:45:36
Thinking of expanding my culinary adventures this weekend and will attempt to make this in crockpot. I made same years ago with some red cabbage & potato pancakes. As I remember, was rather good. 'Course, that was over 20 yrs. ago. My question is thus: what was the deal in using ginger snap (cookies)? Was it to thicken sauce; add flavor; or both? Help appreciated.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sauerbraten 2004/11/02 19:27:33
The snaps do both, they should be added at the very end when the cooking is complete. If you can, check your snaps first. I made some a couple of months ago & used Nabisco snaps. Yecchh! They have really sweetened their snaps, I guess to appeal to a wider market but they really loused up my braten. There is another brand out there, the name evades me at present but it is in a brown bag type package, they are more like the old fashioned snaps.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Sauerbraten 2004/11/02 19:30:29
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

The snaps do both, they should be added at the very end when the cooking is complete. If you can, check your snaps first. I made some a couple of months ago & used Nabisco snaps. Yecchh! They have really sweetened their snaps, I guess to appeal to a wider market but they really loused up my braten. There is another brand out there, the name evades me at present but it is in a brown bag type package, they are more like the old fashioned snaps.

Aha!! I actually know the name of the other brand. "Sunshine". ;)
Thanks!
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sauerbraten 2004/11/03 00:25:08
Also try some of the "discount" brands of gingersnaps, such as Mrs Alison's(a subsidiary of parmalat) Stauffers, and Archway Gingersnaps(Archway is also a subsidiary of parmalat). These all tend to be more ginger laden and less sweet than Nabisco, and more "peppery".