york steak house

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
RE: york steak house 2006/12/10 12:40:16 (permalink)
ohiosteaklover,I have never eaten at a York Steak House in my life but your visit and report brought it to life for me. Great job and I hope the reunion for others brings back some fond memories.
eski
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: york steak house 2006/12/11 01:07:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocean_front_view

When I was young my parents would take me to the York Steakhouse in Quincy IL. Every Saturday and I loved to get their fish. Can anyone tell me what type of fish was in the “baked fish” and what the sauce was? I know the sauce was some sort of lemon & butter.
Thanks
David

The Fish was a New England Cod, and the sauce was called Almondine Sauce - Butter, Lemon and toasted almonds
ohiosteaklover
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: york steak house 2006/12/16 11:58:38 (permalink)
There seems to be some confusion on the French names for the steak doneness. I shall clear it up:

(spelling probably wrong)

Tre Tre Cinya...........Very Rare (Cinya is pronounced Sin-yaw)
Tre Cinya...............Rare
Lay Tre Cinya...........Medium Rare
Cinya...................Medium
Lay Beonque.............Medium Well (Beonque is pronounced Bee-on-kwee)
Beouque.................Well
Tre Beonque.............Very Well

Tag colors were as follows:

Red..........Rare
White........Medium
Brown........Well
2 Red tags stacked..........Very Rare
White and Red stacked.......Med Rare
White and Brown Stacked.....Med Well
2 Brown tags stacked........Very Well

YorkHostess
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: york steak house 2006/12/21 21:32:40 (permalink)
Haven't been in here in a while. Ran into another York hostess over the weekend and told her about the site and that Columbus has a York. She was as excited as we were. Too bad, I still haven't gotten up there. I still have the directions on my favorites so I hope to go up in 2007.
Happy New Year!

Ohiosteaklover---you are right it was Phil Moser! I think there was something wrong with that man! Neil Boone never bothered me much. I never took him seriously enough I guess. But Phil Moser could scare the livin crap out of a person!
I'm so glad you posted your review of the Columbus store. Where are the pics, I'd love to see them.
We wore short dresses in an orangey gold color with a chain belt, sounds crazy now but we looked good. Our bus guys wore white shirts with black pants, I think all our guys did.
I remember those plates being slid down the table and how many times didn't it get caught? Breaking plates, get out the broom! LOL! I love reminiscing about all this.
YorkHostess
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2006/12/21 21:45:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

One of my first jobs was bussing table at a York in the Warwick Mall, RI, 1976 - 77. I don't remember "pahsay" but I do remember several buscart accidents (my own and others). The place was so busy and they ran you so hard to get tables clear so that the line would be on schedule that it was inevitable. The carpet was so encrusted with grease that people would slip on it and it ruined workers' shoes. Personally, I started slowing down after I came within a hair of injuring a toddler I couldn't see in front of the cart.

I also remember cleaning the trash compactor. If you got off of bus duty early, the payback was wiping down the inside of the compactor, which happened to have loose wiring on the safety switch. You learned pretty quickly not to clean around that switch.

OMG! Sliding on the floor! In the back where the dishwasher was, was such a long room. I honestly would take a running start around the corner into the room and slide from one side to the other to get what I needed and then slide back the length of the room again and right into the dining room. When you're 17 yrs old, you can do that stuff and not fall down!
Ohara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: york steak house 2007/01/11 11:23:59 (permalink)
You would be a hero if you are willing to sell me a copy of one of the menus - just make a copy on plain paper and I will buy it from you -please email me to discuss! I will tell you the romantic story of how my boyfriend and I both ate at the York Steak House as children but did not meet until we were in our late 30s! If only we had connected at the York!!
Peznt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: york steak house 2007/01/19 16:56:26 (permalink)

Fairfield Mall, Chicopee Mass
I worked in 75 - 76, quite the place!!

#1 - 8 oz. Sirloin Strip Steak, Baked Potato, Roll, Salad
#2 - Sirloin Tips on Skewer, Baked Potato, Roll, Salad
#3 - 8 oz. Chopped Sirloin, Baked Potato, Roll, Salad
#4 - 4 oz. Chopped Sirloin Sandwich, Steak Fries
#5 (Lunch Item Only) - 6 oz. Chopped Sirloin, Steak Fries, Roll, Salad
#6 (Lunch Item Only) - 4 oz. Rib-Eye Steak, Baked Potato, Roll, Salad
#7 - Chef's Salad

Peznt
harsh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: york steak house 2007/01/23 13:37:56 (permalink)
I worked at Yorks in the upper valley mall Springfield Ohio from 78 to 85. Some of the best times ever. We had about 10 or 12 couples who met there get married and are still married today including me. Butcher, Staley, Clemens, Vanharlingen, Swartzmiller, Keith, were just some of the management. We still say Pase' (spell check)to our kids and they know to move. All the langauge I can remember but what about "checking the ice" or ringing a "four bell" anyone remember what that is? lol Would love to see a reunion. The Springfield was bought by the manager and is still operating under Bradfields, has about the same food, very good, I believe there is still two employees still working there from the time when I worked there, it is always great to see them. Thanks for the memories, will post again later.
Peznt
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/01/26 15:24:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by harsh

All the langauge I can remember but what about "checking the ice" or ringing a "four bell" anyone remember what that is? .

"Check the Ice" = Used this when a good looking girl was in line.

Peznt
wingdingman
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/01/26 18:46:58 (permalink)
which location did you work at? the west broad location is still open and the owner who bought it from the corporation in the early 80s before they closed still owns it. i used to work there in about 81-83. i stop in there occasionaly and old jay still remembers me from when i worked there. i would be curious to which you worked at and where your located now. please feel free to e mail direct if you want. im sure if you need more info i can stop in and talk to owner on w. broad im craving a steak there anyway

robert wheezy9870@aol.com
harsh
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/02/13 00:26:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wingdingman

which location did you work at? the west broad location is still open and the owner who bought it from the corporation in the early 80s before they closed still owns it. i used to work there in about 81-83. i stop in there occasionaly and old jay still remembers me from when i worked there. i would be curious to which you worked at and where your located now. please feel free to e mail direct if you want. im sure if you need more info i can stop in and talk to owner on w. broad im craving a steak there anyway

harsh
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/02/13 00:28:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wingdingman

worked in the springfield ohio upper valley mall store, seems like the same place has similar menu and layout. know anyone from there?

YorkHostess
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/03/27 16:50:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Peznt

quote:
Originally posted by harsh

All the langauge I can remember but what about "checking the ice" or ringing a "four bell" anyone remember what that is? .

"Check the Ice" = Used this when a good looking girl was in line.

Peznt

"check the iced tea" was for good looking guys in line. when i was a cold side girl(brand new) i was told to "check the iced tea". i did and told them it was fine. they kept telling me and telling me....i was totally clueless about what they were talking about! we all laughed so hard! but, after that i always knew what they meant!
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: york steak house 2007/03/27 17:07:44 (permalink)
You guys had Malls? Sigh.
Dewdle
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/03/28 18:52:41 (permalink)
I still work at the old York Steak House (now Bradfields) in Springfield Ohio .It really hasn't changed a whole lot .
bokon
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/05/23 19:15:49 (permalink)
I worked for YSH in Auburn, MA from 81-85. It was my first job. I worked with a great crew and we had so much fun. Reading these posts brings back so many memories.
YSH Wife
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/06/08 21:33:41 (permalink)
My husband worked for York Steak House from 1984 to 1987 as a Senior Manager. He went to York from Godfather's Pizza and from barely minimum wage and 80 hours a week to 50 hour a week and well over minimum. He thought he was in heaven! He really enjoyed working there but the district director/manager was a jerk, Larry Novak(?), thought he was God's gift. The food was great, the kids worked hard and enjoyed working there. If I remember correctly General Mills owned the company along with Red Lobster and Olive Garden and refused to open free standing restaurants for York Steak House to keep it going, General Mills then sold them to, I think, Pillsbury and a lot of other conglomerates after that. I really enjoyed the Chicken Salad and would like to have that recipe but haven't been able to recreate it or find it anywhere. Does anyone out there know/remember what the ingredients were?

Thanks.
Dwest0712
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/08/04 16:07:26 (permalink)
Guess my "Behind the Scenes" post was a little too graphic.
Piggy Jo
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/08/09 02:55:28 (permalink)
I worked at the Maplewood Mall MN York for 7 years. I haven't seen anyone from there on this site. Let me know if you worked there, I would love to talk to you.
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: york steak house 2007/08/12 12:36:06 (permalink)
I remember a York Steak House at the Eastpoint Mall on the east side of Baltimore. I think it is a cactus willie's now.

I always ordered the honey basted chicken.
recpools
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: york steak house 2007/08/22 16:03:20 (permalink)
still looking for any old ysh items
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: york steak house 2007/08/28 14:44:46 (permalink)
This topic has brought back so many great memories for me! My family used to eat at the YSH in the Auburn Mall all the time when I was a kid...I used to LOVE the soft serve ice cream machine! From what I remember the food was really good too! Thanks everyone!
harsh
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/08/31 23:15:01 (permalink)
When did you work there, thats where I worked.
quote:
Originally posted by Dewdle

I still work at the old York Steak House (now Bradfields) in Springfield Ohio .It really hasn't changed a whole lot .
kspang
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: york steak house 2007/09/02 13:25:07 (permalink)
My girlfriend and I are leaving for J's York (Columbus) in about 10 minutes. I was looking for their number to check the hours of operation when I found this site. Quite a coincidence, eh?
As to the other York posts in this Topic; OH YEA! This IS an original York. It has it all. It's like stepping back 20 years in time when you enter. I used to frequent (both) the Eastland Mall site when I was younger. Today I think I will have the 1/2 Honey Glazed Roast Chicken Dinner with a side of Sauteed Mushrooms and one of those delicious chocolate layer cakes for desert. YUM
Sorry to all you folks who can't enjoy a delicious York meal!
Pdasilva0324
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: york steak house 2007/09/24 21:22:59 (permalink)
. I remember going there several times as a kid at the Dedham Mall south of Boston in the early to mid 1980s. I now live in Columbus, Ohio which is home to the only York left that is known! It is still open as far as I know since I don't get to that side of town often. I last ate there in late 1999 and the quality wasn't great and the decor was certainly different than I remember, but, the food was similar..cafeteria style with similar choices. I last drove by it about three months ago and it appeared open then, but like I said, I haven't eaten there in almost eight years. The address is 4220 W. Broad Street, Columbus, OH 43228, directly across from Westland Mall. Maybe I will go there again soon and check it out again!
kspang
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/09/24 23:17:55 (permalink)
MMMMmmmmm DELICIOUS! That's all I have to say. I went, I saw, I ate it all!
For anyone wondering how my stop went (see post above) I walked in, grabbed my tray and met the help at the familiar counter. I ordered a 1/2 Honey Glazed Roast Chicken Dinner with a baked potato and my GF ordered the Sirloin tips and baked potato. I couldn't resist picking up a chocolate cake from the desert section on the way by. It wasn't quite the same, as I recall it being a 4-5 layer cake and this one was only two, but it had all the whipped topping I remember so, good enough.
Now, on to the drinks. I ordered a coke and she chose a tea both of which were self dispensed just like I remember. But wait, just as I was about to move on I realized I almost forgot my milk (for washing down the chocolate cake) and grabbed one and on we went. I slid on around the drink corner to the extras and asked for the sauteed' mushrooms. Then it was past the glazed chicken area (yum, looks delicious as usual) picking up two butters for my roll on the way around the next two corners and to the register. I paid for the meal and we almost RAN down the familiar seating area to a booth.
The salad bar in this area was quite nice. The salad was fresh and had lots of toppings to choose from. In addition there was also macaroni salad and some jello, just to name a few. I topped off my salad with some bacon bits and italian dressing and went back to the booth to begin. I was just finishing my salad when the food arrived.
All the food was prepared just as I remember it (from 20 yrs ago) and I dug right in. I was barely able to down it all but I did and I'm now barely able to move! I did notice that the "do not tip the waiters" signs no longer exist (if memory serves me correct that was the way it was long ago) so I left a generous tip as I waddled back to the car with my GF in tow. In all, I can't wait to go back.
Hmmm..maybe next weekend!
SAMIAM2007
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2007/12/09 21:58:45 (permalink)
It was "Baked Filet O Fish Almondine" ... It was generally cod but once in a while it would be haddock
quote:
Originally posted by ocean_front_view

When I was young my parents would take me to the York Steakhouse in Quincy IL. Every Saturday and I loved to get their fish. Can anyone tell me what type of fish was in the “baked fish” and what the sauce was? I know the sauce was some sort of lemon & butter.
Thanks
David

frogger67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: york steak house 2007/12/19 14:08:37 (permalink)
I haven't thought of this place in years!

I remember it being like another poster said, a notch above Bonanza and Ponderosa (the old Ponderosa) but not as good as Jolly Ox, Steak & Ale....more on par with Emerson's, if anyone remembers those.

There was one in the old Beacon Mall in Alexandria, VA
DanielChapter9
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/03/27 00:58:03 (permalink)
I worked at store number 15 - aka West Broad St in Columbus. I was there thru high school May 73 - June 76. As some have pointed out, that location is now privately owned.

Most of the employees were from Westland High School, Bishop Ready and West High School. Some from Hilliard, Grove City and Franklin Heights. Several of my closest friends I have today are people I met while at York. And oddly enough, my wife was a corporate accountant with York in Reston Virginia years later.

Store 15 was also a manager training facility so several managers went elsewhere after a while.

I'll try to remember some names (managers with a *) ...

*Marvin Frye
*Mr. Rawn (don't remember first name)
*Mr. Williams ditto - had a cool porsche.
*Bolan
*Brannon - left for dental school
*Dan Parsons - U.S. Marine Corp
*Phil Moser - former USMC
*Cline
*Brawnschweiger (spelling)
*Thompson
*Kaiser
*Epstein
Tommy Leonard
Gary Schneider
Rick Schwartz - Terry Hatem (married)
Renee Walker
Mike Finneger
Danny Thomas
Linda Schwartz
Kathy Kennedy
Cindy Kennedy
Irion Mitchell
Mike Metz - Janet Gleason (married and recent grandparents - jeesh)
Barry Skaggs
Steve Cook
Jack Rymal
Kenny ?
Mark ? (West H.S. with the hot Nova SS)
Phil Physher
Saundra Moore
Bill Wagner
Okie Sharp
Scott Clay
Diane Gorman
Nancy White
Walter White
Dinah White
Paula Ehren
David Schloop
Newton Crabbe
Rob Tapia (remember the salt in your drink?)
Sharon Smith
Peggy Rheal
Nancy Wagner
Mike Lyons
Jane Romeo
Scott Roland
Phil Magnus
Bob Barker (maybe Baker)
Sue Bogdan
Lois Word
Brad Dye
Tim Frank
Bill Maynard
locoarts
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/05/03 09:18:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Futomaki

Hey..I remember York Steak House. I am a child of the 80's and I have such fond memories of my father taking to the local YSH at Euclid Square Mall on the east side of Cleveland. They had the best steak sauce and I can still taste the awesome rolls that came with every meal...they were so buttery and delicious. I would love to see what becomes of the new website for YSH...but even better would be to bring back the restaurant chain! Why NOT! Thanks to the rampant success of the Atkins Diet I believe reintroducing YSH would be a smash. Also all those who have fond memories of tha food would return en masse. Thanks....

I have to say my favorite memory as a kid now that my mother has died is... on sundays going to church and then going to the Euclid Square Mall and eating at YSH! We would go there every sunday and it was so much fun walking through the mall going to all the stores, this was i'd say from 1977-1983ish.. There was NO problems in that mall it was one of the best! York Steak House was and still is probably my favorite place to eat!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1