york steak house

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
locoarts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: york steak house 2008/05/03 09:20:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by recpools

the honey roasted chicken was excellent and simple.

it was a spice that consisted of onion salt, garlic salt, a little pepper and paparyka.

the glaze was 1/2 honey, 1/2 molasses

the glaze only went on after the chicken was cooked and it was then held in a warmer 150 degrees or so. putting it back in the oven at 400 degrees would burn it.

Can you think of any other recipes
locoarts
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/05/03 09:29:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kspang

My girlfriend and I are leaving for J's York (Columbus) in about 10 minutes. I was looking for their number to check the hours of operation when I found this site. Quite a coincidence, eh?
As to the other York posts in this Topic; OH YEA! This IS an original York. It has it all. It's like stepping back 20 years in time when you enter. I used to frequent (both) the Eastland Mall site when I was younger. Today I think I will have the 1/2 Honey Glazed Roast Chicken Dinner with a side of Sauteed Mushrooms and one of those delicious chocolate layer cakes for desert. YUM
Sorry to all you folks who can't enjoy a delicious York meal!

I was going to ask this.. because I googled York Steak House and this "J's York Steak House in Columbus.

So this J's is the real deal? They have the York Steak House recipes and dishes???

J 's York Steakhouse
4220 W Broad St
Columbus, OH 43228
Phone: (614) 272-6485
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: york steak house 2008/05/03 10:18:18 (permalink)
There is a review on page three of this thread of the "J's" in Columbus.
locoarts
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/05/04 12:10:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

There is a review on page three of this thread of the "J's" in Columbus.

Oh missed that.. thanks!!!

So whoelse has gone to "J's" ?? Whats your reviews.

I gotta check this place out, its only a couple hours drive
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1087
RE: york steak house 2008/05/04 14:06:55 (permalink)
I go semi-regularly. One of my wife's friends comes from a family where like 4 people worked there at one time or another and we keep it in a regular rotation of places we go. I think the food and decor is identical to the York I used to go to in the mall in Bloomington, IN where I grew up. It is decent and a good value. My wife and her friend's husband always get the steak tips. Her friend always gets the chicken. I switch it up. The steaks are ok, but what I have been getting lately are the hamburgers. I think they are really good and I like them with either the steak fries or sometimes a baked potato. I add some mushrooms for a complete meal. The salad bar is again not bad but not great. Bagged lettuce, fake bacon bits, decent dressings. It does the job until the food comes out.

Every time we go, I fell like we are stepping back in time when we go through the doors.
DMC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: york steak house 2008/05/05 19:53:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

I go semi-regularly. One of my wife's friends comes from a family where like 4 people worked there at one time or another and we keep it in a regular rotation of places we go. I think the food and decor is identical to the York I used to go to in the mall in Bloomington, IN where I grew up. It is decent and a good value. My wife and her friend's husband always get the steak tips. Her friend always gets the chicken. I switch it up. The steaks are ok, but what I have been getting lately are the hamburgers. I think they are really good and I like them with either the steak fries or sometimes a baked potato. I add some mushrooms for a complete meal. The salad bar is again not bad but not great. Bagged lettuce, fake bacon bits, decent dressings. It does the job until the food comes out.

Every time we go, I fell like we are stepping back in time when we go through the doors.
DMC
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/05/05 19:58:49 (permalink)
I used to work for Jay (owner of the "J's York Steak House") at the York Steak House in the now torn-down Northland Mall in Columbus, OH back in 1985. Jay is a great guy and I've been to the West Broad YSH many times. It truly is like stepping back into a time machine! I remember that we used to order multiple orders of the fried cheese sticks and we'd dip them in ranch dressing when I worked there while I was in high school. For anyone who is craving YSH, I highly recommend you checking out J's. Not much has changed.

quote:

locoarts
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/05/06 18:08:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DMC

I used to work for Jay (owner of the "J's York Steak House") at the York Steak House in the now torn-down Northland Mall in Columbus, OH back in 1985. Jay is a great guy and I've been to the West Broad YSH many times. It truly is like stepping back into a time machine! I remember that we used to order multiple orders of the fried cheese sticks and we'd dip them in ranch dressing when I worked there while I was in high school. For anyone who is craving YSH, I highly recommend you checking out J's. Not much has changed.

quote:

Very Nice.. I have to say I am actually going to make a day trip to J's York Steak House this summer because of you guys! :)

Hey if it is pretty close thats nice.
jayday78
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: york steak house 2008/06/12 23:44:59 (permalink)
I was just at J's York Steak House yesterday evening in Columbus. It was packed with at least 50 people on a Wednesday night to me is good business. As you as you walk in, the wonderful scent of York Steak House hits you and you do get transported back 20 to 30 years! I remember going to York Steak House in the Towne Mall in Middletown back in the early and mid 80s. What great memories. The food tasted the same really. There were probably some small differences, but nothing too major. What is the same are the steaks, wonderful rolls, and that red Italian dressing. The desserts are a little different as those gelatin cubes are gone. I imagine that some of the food distributors may have changed in 30 years? I really can't wait to go back. Oh yes, the dark wood paneling is still there although I don't remember seeing any iron chandeliers... ;)
hatteras04
RE: york steak house 2008/06/15 02:27:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jayday78

I was just at J's York Steak House yesterday evening in Columbus. It was packed with at least 50 people on a Wednesday night to me is good business.

I was there the same night. You're right, there probable were 50 people in there. And there seemed to be only one poor waitress trying to cover the whole restaurant. The food was again pretty darn good for the money we spent. My wife's steak tips were actually cooked to a perfect medium and my hamburger and baked potato were fine.
TenPoundHammer
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: york steak house 2008/06/15 15:01:26 (permalink)
As far as Michigan goes, I know there were Yorks in Benton Harbor at the Orchards Mall (someone mentioned this one earlier; I think it became a Ponderosa and is now vacant) and at Westland Center in Westland (no idea what this became; Lane Bryant perhaps?). Surely there were more in Michigan.
locoarts
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/06/25 11:42:35 (permalink)
I am going with my brother for a little trip to J's in the next week or so

I am so looking forward to checking this place out!
DM83TA
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/09/28 04:29:50 (permalink)
I live in Columbus, OH and have been going to York as long as I remember. I still hit the J's York Steak House on W. Broad St.

I remember back in the mid-80's they had an "All You Can Eat Shrip" night once a week. I like to think that my father, brother and I are the reasons it didn't last. We put away a LOT of shrimp.

My favorite part of the meal has always been the Red Italian salad dressing. Does anyone know who made this? I think I found it at a Big Bear store once but they went out of business and I haven't been able to find it since.

Thank you.
mikenohio
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: york steak house 2008/10/05 10:29:52 (permalink)
We went to yorks last night10/05/08 still serving the same food AND AT GOOD PRICES.York is a real hometown favorite my children are grown and they take there kids there of course the grandchildren are also grown and can choose resturants themselves. This speaks well of the resturant. They still have groups playing bridge. I feel like i am in a time warp but it feels good to see somethings havent changed for the worse.
DanielChapter9
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2008/10/05 16:27:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mikenohio

We went to yorks last night10/05/08 still serving the same food AND AT GOOD PRICES.York is a real hometown favorite my children are grown and they take there kids there of course the grandchildren are also grown and can choose resturants themselves. This speaks well of the resturant. They still have groups playing bridge. I feel like i am in a time warp but it feels good to see somethings havent changed for the worse.

MikeNOhio,

If this is the same MikeNOhio that used to be MikeNIraq (on FR), then we keep running into each other. We've spoken before on FR (where my handle is tang-soo). My son is still in the the OSU Marching Band and you knew a fellow band member named Wheeler - friend of your brother. I'm on this thread because I worked at the York Steak House on West Broad all thru high school - many hears ago.
eclecticbohemian
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2009/02/20 19:41:48 (permalink)
I know this thread is old but I just had to dig it back up.  I'm actually going to J's York Steakhouse tomorrow in Columbus.  I was born & raised in NW-Columbus/Hilliard & just recently moved east of Cbus about four years ago.  The West side of Cbus has pretty much went to crap but thank god J's York is still there!

I literally grew up going to that place.  When I was little, my parents always got me the chopped steak sandwich with potato & mushroom sauce & sauted onions.   Mmmm, the mushroom sauce!  I could eat that stuff like soup!  Anyway, I would take the chopped steak off the bread & make it like a small steak for myself as a kid.  haha  Obviously as I got older I would venture on to other steaks. 

Can you believe they still serve the Flaming Cherries Jubilee?  I didn't go last weekend for Valentine's day but I heard they still have it.  That used to amaze me as a kid.

Jay is so nice too & I swear the man does NOT age!  I am going to be 40 this summer & he was managing the place when I was a little kid!!

I'll grab a menu & some pictures tomorrow if you all are interested.  I'll post them up tomorrow night when we get back from our Cbus day-trip.  Ha!  Man, I really miss my city!  :(  (I'm stuck out in a sh*t-splat town now)

Oh yeah, I remember as a kid if we went elsewhere for steak, I'd ask for mushroom sauce.  They would look at me like I had lost my mind..."mushroom sauce?" they'd say "...don't you mean mushroom gravy?"  I'd get angry & say "No, I mean mushroom SAUCE, you know-like at YORK?!"  Bahaha...I was a bratty kid.
hatteras04
RE: york steak house 2009/02/20 23:38:42 (permalink)
eclecticbohemian

I know this thread is old but I just had to dig it back up.  I'm actually going to J's York Steakhouse tomorrow in Columbus.  I was born & raised in NW-Columbus/Hilliard & just recently moved east of Cbus about four years ago. 

BTW, if you live in Newark and want a good steak there go to Natoma's.  The steaks are good and the rolls are great.  We got to concerts at the Midland theater sometimes and always hit Natoma's before the show.  Way more expensive than York but worth it every once in a while.

eclecticbohemian
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2009/02/21 01:15:29 (permalink)
↑I've been trying to get my fiance to take me there!  (He's from this area)  We've been to the Buxton Inn...love the place!
Jon Sheldon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: york steak house 2009/05/24 20:13:35 (permalink)
bokon

I worked for YSH in Auburn, MA from 81-85. It was my first job. I worked with a great crew and we had so much fun. Reading these posts brings back so many memories.

I worked at the YSH in Auburn from 81-85.

Bark
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2009/05/25 11:19:28 (permalink)
 I worked for York during about the same time period, starting in Chicopee MA as a General Manager then moving to East Brunswick NJ store.  Your District Manager in Auburn was the same as mine, I think, Ray Degrange and RD was Alan Crudale.  I wonder sometimes what became of them. Anybody know?

Last week I had the pleasure of dining at the remaining York, in Columbus.
It was like a step back in time.  The dining room is brighter, and we didn't have a salad bar in my time, that was part of the cold side girls job to dish out.  The menu prices have changed a bit over the years, thats for sure.  I was pleased to see all the signature items still there.

Walking down the line was very nostalgic.  I tried to order my T Bone tres bien, but the employee had no idea what I was saying.  The store is clean and neat, the desserts looked great.  I had to try the coconut cream pie with my T Bone.  I wonder if the rule is that the managers still have to make the cream pies like it used to be in the Jeff Greyson days.

I heard some tips ordered, but sadly they weren't ordered as "delicious sauted sirloin tips".  Nor was the the mushroom sauce the "hot delicious mushroom sauce or sauteed onion?".   The registers are still NCR's, I think, and I might even still have a programming key for them somewhere!

The dining room was brigher than I remembered, mine was always more dungeon like.  The food came quickly and was quite good.  I walked back up to look over the layout - the office is right where it is supposed to be, the steak table, tip grill, everything just perfect.  A manager noticed me looking around and we chatted a bit.  I really wanted to ask him if I could see the back but I didn't.

If you get the chance to get there it is certainly worth the time.

Probably the toughest job I ever had, longest hours, but most rewarding.
I often think back to those times.  I'd give a lot to be able to "move the line" with a sharp steak girl and push out a 300 hour again.

==Barry Barkinsky
bob haller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: york steak house 2009/05/31 13:06:49 (permalink)
There was a york steak house in the beaver valley mall in PA near pittsburgh. I fixed machines in that mall and for a treat would eat at york, yum.

glad to hear one survived
KarenInWorcester
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2009/07/20 19:58:42 (permalink)
Hi-First time doing this.  I used to eat at the York's in Auburn,MA.  A good friend's brother worked there (met his future wife there I believe).  I LOVED the sauteed onions above all else.  It was chopped steak or tips for me until they introduced the chicken and that became my favorite.  In their later years, a full food bar was added-I remember that the stuffing was pretty good.  "BRING BACK YORK" - I'm with you-wonder what it would take to revive a place like York's again?  I miss them, that's for sure!
jennysongs
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2009/08/25 01:35:55 (permalink)
Hello,

I know this thread is old, but I just found this website. I was so surprised to read about YSH! I worked at York Steak House for my first job in high school at the Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted, Ohio. I only stopped when they went out of business. What memories this thread has generated! I was a "cold side" girl. I remember there was another restaurant in Parma Heights, Ohio. And yet another in the Randall Park Mall in Akron, Ohio. Reading through this I learned that there is still one in Columbus, Ohio? I'll have to check it out sometime!
1 Chautauqua
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2009/11/08 13:02:10 (permalink)
I worked for York Steak House 1976 - 1980 and managed many stores and opened many more in New York Pennsylvania and Ohio. I had the opportunity to work with Berndt Gros and both Eddie and Howard Grayson. Phil Neal, Jimmy Childs and Dave Miller and many others.
The food we prepared was excellent and the growth was phenominal, a time to remember.
Kindest Regards,
John Siggins

hatteras04
RE: york steak house 2009/12/09 11:08:02 (permalink)
Another update - I went to York last night for dinner.  The weather was crappy but it was still pretty busy for a Tuesday night.  There was a Chirstmas party there and plenty of other customers also.  So it is still going strong.  Everyone was happy with their food.  3 people got steak tips, 1 got chicken, and I got a cheeseburger.  Great service including a free piece of cake and balloon for the new 7 year old at the table.
blueskyconcessions
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2010/01/01 17:31:47 (permalink)
Was a YSH in Saginaw, Michigan at Fashion Square mall back in the mid or late 70's or so. Still crave it, can't believe one still exists. Will have to try to get to Columbus someday. Does anyone know what brand steak sauce i would have been putting on my ground sirloin on a bun?? And how about the red italian dressing, that rings a bell now that i've been reading all these posts!
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:york steak house 2010/01/01 18:18:23 (permalink)
Yes, York Steak House had a great steak sauce. I once asked a restaurant manager about its origins, and he said even he didn't know who really made it. It would be a miracle if anyone still knew who manufactured it.

For the past 25 years, I have only used the sauces made by Baumer Foods and Peppers Unlimited of Louisiana, both of Louisiana and sold under many of their own and private label names. I have never found a sauce identical to the one at YSH.
post edited by David_NYC - 2010/01/01 18:48:32
blueskyconcessions
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2010/01/02 10:41:20 (permalink)
Anyone out there know who made/makes the steak sauce?? Anyone been able to duplicate it?? SOMEONE must know!!
iluvyork
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2010/05/07 08:59:19 (permalink)
Reading all of these comments are bringing back lots of great memories!  I worked at york in Columbus from 1995-2008.  13 years! York was like my second family.  The managers were and still are awesome!  Then I moved to Florida and I really miss it.  My children grew up on york steakhouse and they loved it as well.  From some of these comments, some things have changed but mostly its still the same.  I cant wait to go back for a visit!  
ghsmith
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2010/07/14 17:56:44 (permalink)
I also worked  at York    82-83
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1