york steak house

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
ghsmith
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: york steak house 2010/07/14 17:59:46 (permalink)
I also worked at the Maplewood Mall York Steak House   82-83
lolinarose44
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: york steak house 2010/09/19 03:45:02 (permalink)
I am so happy to have found out other people loved YSH as much as I did!  I went to the one at Tri-County Mall in Cincinnati, Ohio when I was a kid.  I always got the sirloin tips with sauteed onions and mushrooms.  And for  dessert....green jello.....yum, yum! 

However, I do have one memory that has always stuck with me, and I imagine always will!  When I was a little girl back in the 70's and eating there, with my mom and dad, my regular order, I had taken a bite of my sauteed onions.  Well, on this occasion for some reason one of the long onions missed getting chewed and I choked on it.  I was so scared, and a lady at a nearby table jumped up and ran over, stuck her fingers in my mouth, somehow, reached down far enough to grab the onion, and pull it out, from where it was.  I will never forget that, nor her, for what she did!  I was little, and scared and don't remember if I thanked her, and if she ever sees this, Thank You So Much, Maam!  She was amazing! 

Needless to say, though, I had a fear of eating onions for many, many years afterward!  Eventually, slowly, bite, by VERY WELL CHEWED bite, I got over it, and am eating onions again!

I really want to check out J's in Columbus that some of you have been talking about.  I'm so excited to hear there might be one still open.  I sure hope they still are! 
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: york steak house 2010/09/19 09:12:38 (permalink)
Welcome, Lolinarose!
J's York Steak House still seems to be in operation. They put up a Facebook page and the last entry is dated September 4th, 2010:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Columbus-OH/York-Steak-House/340337300382
Also, see this photo of the menu on the wall from 2009:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24629643@N04/3882666311/

What I found amazing on the Facebook site are the photographs of the food and the restaurant. They bring you right back in time.
spshaf
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2011/02/04 08:03:05 (permalink)
I just went to the York yesterday and it was fabulous like always.  God, I love this place.  A coworker of mine grew up in Huntington, WV and they used to have one at the Barboursville Mall.  That is the one I used to go to.  We were talking about favorite places when we were kids and she couldn't believe that one was still around.  I took six people from our office there yesterday.  I had the chopped sirloin sandwich and a baked tater.  Delish.  My friend was totally overwhelmed when she walked in.  Saying it was just like when she was a kid.  She was gushing to the cashier about the place and he had some bad news.  Said that they may not be around for much longer, even though he is hoping that they are.  The salad bar was still wonderful and our server was great.  Enjoy this place while you still can.  When it closes, I will be seriously sad.   
MassBrew
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2011/02/18 23:58:38 (permalink)
That would be a shame if the Columbus York closed.

I worked in Dartmouth MA from 79-84, through high school and college, mostly behind the grill but certainly doing every other conceivable job at the place at one point or another.

Back then it seemed we were the only show in town, directly opposite the Dartmouth Mall, it wasn't until all the competitors came in that the tide turned, but it was a great run.

Memory list in random order:

- Good one on the Valentine's Day flambe
- Mother's Day was insane -- it was all hands on deck
- The bonds, friendships, and parties were amazing, still maintain some friend connections to this day, and my wife of 23 years was introduced to me by a fellow "Yorkie"
- CTI (check the ice) was a sacred ritual, I'm sure hot girl visitors who were regulars must have figured out what was going on after just a couple of visits; "CTI deux fois" meant two babes back-to-back
- Yeah, the chicken glaze was awesome, but the menu diversification beyond that probably contributed to the downfall
- The night we scooped out and saved a possum from the grease barrel out back
- Hanging out in one of the "courts" with co-workers at shift change time; MTV (yes, actual music videos) often a topic of discussion
- Stylin' that chef's hat and scarf -- having schoolmates, relatives, neighbors thinking what a "cool" job it must be
- The hot mushroom sauce available in line, perfect for dipping the steak fries in
- The steak sauce bottles out on the table, tangy awesomeness
- I prided myself on my food presentation, but there was the one time when I was on sirloin tips and I thought, "now, where did that bandaid on my finger go to?"  Sure enough, a hostess came up with the tip tray a few moments later.  I don't believe that's why we closed, despite the lawsuit -- kidding...
- At times the grill would need a "cool down / cleaning" and the big wire brush out from the bucket of cold water would put on a pyrotechnic display that always earned some ooh's and aah's -- time the show with a CTI to impress the talent in the audience
- We, too, organized a Thanksgiving morning football game, co-ed -- because it was one of the very few days we were all off; remember some annual injuries among us from the game, too

I could go on forever, thanks for all the memories in the thread.  Would love to have a local reunion someday, somehow.

Jim
post edited by MassBrew - 2011/02/19 07:12:26
spshaf
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2011/02/21 10:33:30 (permalink)
Going there for lunch today with some coworkers.  Sweet!  I will have to take some pictures with my phone.
Taxmom
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2011/07/26 11:40:30 (permalink)
This has brought back so many memories for me. I literally grew up in York Steak House. My father started managing the one in Northgate Mall in Cincinnati in 1976. He became an area manager and regional director. So my memories from when I was little are from Northgate Mall, Tri County Mall, Eastgate Mall, Florence Mall, etc.
theboycanplay
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2011/09/28 20:02:35 (permalink)
Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but it seemed like the York's we went to in the late 80s turned into all-you-can-eat type salad bar places, similar to Ponderosa.  You'd still go through the line, but you'd get a salad bar with your steak and there was a long salad bar with warm pasta and sliced fruit, soup and lots of hot bread.  One of the York's we went to had their decor redone and switched to a brighter, more pink scheme instead of the "royal decor".  I think this was around the end of York, in about 1988 or 89'.  I remember when you'd get a baked potato it was wrapped in foil.  My father to this day still refers to a baked potato wrapped it foil as a "York Potato".  I loved the rolls with the butter brushed on top.  I used to think this place was awesome because you'd get your own tray and if I was good I could pick pudding or jello for dessert.  Funny, my school cafetaria had the same thing but it wasn't the same!  Lol.
jennysongs
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2011/09/28 22:02:51 (permalink)
I worked at a York's in the late 80s. It was my first job in high school, and I remember it just as you describe. But I also remember that when they remodeled it and started to add the salad bar, etc., that they renamed it York Choices. The one I worked at (in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio) was connected to the food court of a mall. It had a "carryout" counter on the outside, where you could order meals and desserts to go. I guess you could have eaten it in the mall if you wanted to! It went out of business and closed in 1988-89. I can't believe that there is still one in Columbus, Ohio!

daveg24
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: york steak house 2011/10/24 15:58:38 (permalink)
I WORKED 80 TILL 81 1/2 BOB PRITCHARD AND AL LALLIE WHERE MY BOSS'S,IN CHICOPEE MA,YEAH CHECK THE ICE!!! LOL
daveg24
Junior Burger
Re:york steak house 2011/10/24 16:00:44 (permalink)
BOB IT THIS YOU? NO MORE POOL BUISSNNESS?,FLAMING PIT CLOSED TOO :)
daveg24
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2011/10/26 14:57:18 (permalink)
hey pritchard!!!ii have glasses from Foggies lounge
Broilerchef
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2013/02/17 21:19:09 (permalink)
Hey Steve! I know your last post was old. This is Darren from York. Let me know if your still out there! So many great memories at York Middleburg. I left in '84. I think Mr. Savages job was taken over by Mr. Stout about that time. Talk to ya soon!
BLUEJACKET1956
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2013/04/20 23:06:48 (permalink)
I used to work there then name is Rick schwarz also remember most of those people
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1