Snack Crackers- a survey

ConeyIslandLou
  • Total Posts : 737
  • Reward points : 0
Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 05/3/03 7:44 AM
How many people here still can get the Nabisco Bacon crackers and the Chikin n a Biskit BBQ flavors? Apparently each local bakery/division can pick and choose what products they will put out...our local here in se NY hasnt offered the Bacon is YEARS..and now stopped offering the BBQ CIAB..which,of course, I grew addicted to! Was in the Scarnton area,and happened to see the Bacon [and snatched up a few boxes!]...but didnt see the BBQ..is the BBQ dead?

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 05/3/03 9:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

How many people here still can get the Nabisco Bacon crackers and the Chikin n a Biskit BBQ flavors? Apparently each local bakery/division can pick and choose what products they will put out...our local here in se NY hasnt offered the Bacon is YEARS..and now stopped offering the BBQ CIAB..which,of course, I grew addicted to! Was in the Scarnton area,and happened to see the Bacon [and snatched up a few boxes!]...but didnt see the BBQ..is the BBQ dead?

Here in the middle of Cali, we still have the Bacon (always my fave with cream cheese) but have never heard of the chicken bbq. We still have the regular though.

Hode
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Mon, 05/5/03 5:26 PM
No bbq ciab or bacon in upstate ny either

Danhx
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 05/8/03 8:38 PM
I've never heard of either of them. That just goes to show how deprived we are in Georgia.

dte3672
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 2:19 PM
My favorite snack crackers are Wheat Thins. I LOVE to dip 'em in cottage cheese! Back in the early 90's tho I was very addicted to Keebler Snacklin Cheddars. Alas, they disappeared.....

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 3:19 PM
Waverly Wafer light with just bout anything.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 3:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Waverly Wafer light with just bout anything.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Amen...........my favorite "everyday" cracker!

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 4:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Danhx

I've never heard of either of them. That just goes to show how deprived we are in Georgia.

Danhx,
Chicken-In-A-Biskit used to be common on Georgia foodstore shelves. I haven't seen them lately, probably because I haven't looked.
Try the independent food stores in your area. In Atlanta, there's a doozy - it's an I. G. A. on Clairmont Road in North Decatur. That store carries tons of stuff - often for only one or two customers - that nobody else in all of Metro Atlanta does... even the huge "warehouse" places.
In Athens, we have Bell's Food Stores, locally-owned. I'll saunter by one day when I have the time and inclination and see if we have access to those products.
My only "eating" crackers are a couple of packets of leftover saltines when my blood sugar drops (I'm hypoglycaemic) or a few club crackers with a salad or bowl of chili. If I had the right to pick and choose my favorite, I'd say either Wheat Thins or those rough whole wheat squares... what're they called? Until I shrink a few more pounds, though, I'm eschewing crackers.
Or am I going same? G'nee.
Bisquittingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia 30601.
P. S. Nabisco maintains a plant in Atlanta on one of my favorite obscure streets - Murphy Avenue, S/W - it's right by the Canada Dry plant, and only about a mile from my favorite house in the world.

fogwater
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 5:09 PM
I like stoned wheat thins, partly just for the name, but also cause they're ragged & crunchy. Saltines too. Basically salt & baking soda & flour will do it for me. Cooked together. Then some butter &/or cheese with.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 5:48 PM
Regular Trisquits are Number 1 for me...Then the 'Club' crackers. Buttery rich and very tasty.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 6:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by fogwater

stoned wheat thins

Oh, wow, man....

Cruising The O-Zone, Ort. in 30601.
P. S. I've used my old hippie voice for those at least 75 times by now. When I have more money, I'll hire a new writer....
P. P. S. They really are even better than their name, man.

lamertz
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 01/17/04 8:48 PM
Stone Wheat Thins--yeah baby. I also really love Tricuits.Carrs has a buttery one whose name I can'T remember. Aren't crackers lovely? Maybe I'm waxing because of my no carb diet but I think they are a great invention.

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sun, 01/18/04 1:44 AM
"Lance Captains Wafers" I grew up on them in Arkansas. No salad was complete with out a Captains Wafer. If you don't know what it is, I think a Keebler Club Cracker is about as close as it comes to a Lance Captains Wafer. Maybe a little bit butterier (Is that a word?)LOL

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sun, 01/18/04 3:32 AM
In the local natural foods store, my wife found the "TLC" line of crackers ("zero grams, no transfatty, no hydrogenated, all natural").

"TLC" means "tasty little crackers."

Chumley
  • Total Posts : 182
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sun, 01/18/04 12:29 PM
I like a cracker called Ak-mak. We get them in the local high-brow supermarket around here. They have a really nice wheat and sesame thing going on. I'll often eat them plain but I also put things I shouldn't be eating with my fingers on them like peanut butter or hummus! When I'm feeling decadent, I'll spring for a box of Ritz.

fogwater
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sun, 01/18/04 12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:

stoned wheat thins

Oh, wow, man....

P. S. I've used my old hippie voice for those at least 75 times by now. When I have more money, I'll hire a new writer....

Yeah, man, I like snapping those funky suckers in half. The little crunchies of salt are so tasty.

Clothier, I love ritz crackers with cream cheese & guava jelly. That's strictly a christmas thing for me, fortified by family tradition.

There's a grocery chain here, Loblaws, which puts out an organic cracker which is 'multi-seed'. They're really good because they throw anise seeds into the mix. Yum

dte3672
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Wed, 01/21/04 4:58 PM
quote:

quote:

quote:

stoned wheat thins

Oh, wow, man....

Yeah, man, I like snapping those funky suckers in half. The little crunchies of salt are so tasty.

Clothier, I love ritz crackers with cream cheese & guava jelly. That's strictly a christmas thing for me, fortified by family tradition.

There's a grocery chain here, Loblaws, which puts out an organic cracker which is 'multi-seed'. They're really good because they throw anise seeds into the mix. Yum

OH YEAH! Ritz with cream cheese and jalapeno jelly!!!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Wed, 01/21/04 5:07 PM
Chikin in a biskit still available here, my personal favorite is Pepperidge Farms Sesame Snack Sticks, dipped in just about anything. The best would be the "Hellava Good Dip" onion dip. This is a fairly new brand of dip, they also have a "bold" version that's very tasty. In the refridgerated section. Second would be pimento cheese spread, then there's port wine. It's all good!

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Wed, 01/21/04 8:41 PM
We get the chicken crackers, and vegetable crackers, but no bacon crackers in Los Angeles.

The cracker depends on the cheese. For cheddar: Ritz, for brie: water crackers, for Jarlsberg: butter or wheat

I recently had a butter cracker at a party that was shaped like a butterfly. Does anyone know the name of that one offhand? It was yummy.

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 8:01 AM
My favorite snack cracker is ritz, and I love to put peanut butter on it !!

I like triscuits with cheese and certain dips .... especially hot artichoke dip and crab dip.

I like saltines, but only crumbled up in soup/chowder !!

Dipstick
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 8:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dte3672

quote:

quote:

quote:

stoned wheat thins

Oh, wow, man....

OH YEAH! Ritz with cream cheese and jalapeno jelly!!!

Amen to the cream cheese and jalapeno jelly!!! Food of the gods!

My favs are sociables and trisquits. Haven't seen those bacon crackers in years, but will still get the chicken-in-a-biskit regular on occasion. Never saw the BBQ, but I bet they were great!

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 8:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

I recently had a butter cracker at a party that was shaped like a butterfly. Does anyone know the name of that one offhand? It was yummy.

They are aptly named Pepperidge Farm Butterfly Crackers. FYI.

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 8:35 AM
Triscuits and Stone Wheat Thins are my faves. I had totally forgotten about Nabisco Bacon crackers. As a child, I ate them by the box, followed by a package of Devil's Food Squares (another taste memory now vanished, at least from my supermarket's shelves).

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 8:46 AM
Waverly Wafers, a rectangular, buttery cracker with Merkt's cheddar or almond Swiss cheese spread.

ToddH
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 9:06 AM
quote:

Will Check here in Knoxville. See if we still have it. Send a care package if I can.

rumbelly
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 9:10 AM
Any Carr's bisquit. Especially wheatmeal with blue cheese on top. Anyone ever eat saltines with butter on top late at night ?

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 9:34 AM
I can tell you that my favorite lyric about snack crackers comes from "Camel Walk" by the thrillbillies themselves, Southern Culture on the Skids (previously referenced on this site), whom penned:

"Yo ye pharoahs, let us walk
through this barren desert in search of truth
and some pointy boots
and maybe a few snack crackers."

Still makes me tear-up to this day.

fogwater
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 10:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

Any Carr's bisquit. Especially wheatmeal with blue cheese on top. Anyone ever eat saltines with butter on top late at night ?

Oh yes, saltines with salted butter on top. I like salt & fat I guess. But not just late at night. And those Carr biscuits are grand. I love the black pepper water crackers, and the sesame & poppy seed biscuits are great.

Oh, and by the way, it's Stoned Wheat Thins, at least that's what's on the package in Canada (not Stone Wheat Thins). But I assure you, they're strictly for medicinal use.

Rusty246
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 10:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

My family does and always has eaten butter on crackers. My favorite time though is with homemade vegetable beef soup.

Rusty246
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 10:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ToddH

quote:

We still have the Nabisco bacon, and CIAB. I specifcally looked last night when I was at the grocer's. Not sure about the BBQ, but I'll be glad to look as I seem to be at the store on a daily basis. There were several varieties. Let me know if I can help as well. Whoops, I typed above your response. SORRY!

Will Check here in Knoxville. See if we still have it. Send a care package if I can.

10X10
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 11:19 AM
I am with you on the stoned wheat. I love the mix of crunch with the taste of sesame
quote:

I like stoned wheat thins, partly just for the name, but also cause they're ragged & crunchy. Saltines too. Basically salt & baking soda & flour will do it for me. Cooked together. Then some butter &/or cheese with.

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 12:20 PM
Triscuit nachos - put them on a plate and cover with whatever cheese you have, picante sauce and microwave.

I am also partial to the Carr's cracked pepper table water crackers.

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 1:53 PM
No, have never tried them other than in the intact form. I love them becuase of the amount of pepper that are in them.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 01/22/04 4:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

I am also partial to the Carr's cracked pepper table water crackers.

Those are soo good. have you ever crushed them up and used them as breadcrumbs? Great for chicken, even used them once to top mac&cheese, pepperier than usual, but oh, it's so good.

Now that sounds GOOD! Love that crunchie topping thing and all that pepper! Thanks for the idea,Clothier!

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 01/27/04 4:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by i95

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by EliseT

They are aptly named Pepperidge Farm Butterfly Crackers. FYI.

Well, geez, no wonder I couldn't find them!

Sundancer7
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 01/27/04 5:02 AM
I ate a whole box of Cheezits with Tabasco flavoring. Those things are addictive.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

tiki
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 01/27/04 8:36 AM
quote:

I ate a whole box of Cheezits with Tabasco flavoring. Those things are addictive.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Not exactly ATKINS freindly either!

Sundancer7
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 01/27/04 8:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Not exactly ATKINS freindly either!

It has been a while since I did the whole box. I been a non cheater on this Atkins thing for several months.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

forurlungsonly
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Wed, 02/11/04 10:18 PM
I love Keebler's Toasteds in the Sesame flavor. These are great plain or with any kind of cheese. Love saltines and nice, puffy oyster crackers in soup. Triscuits are good, as is sesame Melba Toast when I'm looking for a more substantial cracker.

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Fri, 02/13/04 9:30 AM
At a friends I recently tried a new flavor of rice crackers. It was Wasabi and tasted great. I have been looking in the supermarkets but have not found them yet.

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Fri, 02/13/04 10:02 AM
I'm a convert to Keebler Toasteds' Buttercrisp cracker, which I only recently discovered. I had assumed they were an imitation of Ritz, but they are so much more. It's good to have a fresh new cracker in the pantry.

spaniel
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 02/17/04 7:22 PM
I have seen the bacon crackers in grocery stores around here - i.e., Berkshires/southern Vermont. I'm pretty sure I've seen BBQ CIAB, too.

However, to my dismay, Waverley crackers seem to have disappeared from this area. My theory was that they had been supplanted by Nabisco "Premium Gold," crackers, which appeared a few years ago and look and taste similar to Waverleys (not like the Premium brand of saltines) and come in a similar green box. But I gather from the other posts here that Waverleys as such still exist elsewhere. Is there anywhere that Waverleys and Golds have been seen to coexist?

Also, about 10-12 years ago, Nabisco put out a kind of miniature cracker under the "Premium" name. I can't remember exactly what they were called, but they were so good! They looked like baby saltines, but were much tastier - richer and with fewer air pockets. Does anyone else remember these, and/or do they still exist somewhere?

Also, Carr's cheese biscuits! Could get them until a year or so ago; then they vanished!

Okay, I'm a bit late adding to this thread, but as someone who fetishizes crackers to the point of frequently making entire meals of them (with apologies to the low-carbers), I could not resist.

And, since I'm new here, a two-posts belated hello to all!

stormycat
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 02/17/04 8:41 PM
Anybody ever try Akmak Armenian crakers? Strangly plain, strangly delicious. The writing on the box is a funny read too.

tiki
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 02/17/04 10:10 PM
Welcome aboard Spanial!

Sabrina
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 07/14/05 12:17 PM
I know this is an old topic but I just found your site. Nabisco has officially discontinued the Bacon thins crackers. Can anyone get their hands on some boxes? Would you be willing to ship them to me? I'll pay for the crackers and shipping of course plus your time/trouble.

My mom uses these instead of breadcrumbs for her meatloaf and is devestated that we can't get them any longer!!

thanks!
Sabrina

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Thu, 07/14/05 4:15 PM
quote:

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
AMEN! and the white chedder kind!! OH MY, mix the 2 in a large baggie and I'm in heaven. Ritz has always been THE cracker in my family altough wheatthins and others do find space in the pantry. Someone mentioned butter on crackers, a tub of whipped lightly salted sweet butter and a sleeve of ritz will override my colesterol scares and a bleu/creamcheese spread will have me hollarin at the Mrs that she's shrinkin my clothes AGAIN!

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Fri, 07/15/05 5:10 PM
When hubby and I go into our neighborhood tavern the waiter automatically brings us a basket of crackers (just plain ol' crackers) and butter. I prefer that to any other nibble with my adult beverage.

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Sat, 07/16/05 10:54 AM
My favorite crackers are Kashi TLC (Tasty Little Cracker). There are a couple of flavored varieties now, but IMHO the original flavor is best.

santacruz
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Snack Crackers- a survey - Tue, 07/19/05 3:42 PM
I really love Ritz with chunkey peanut butter washed down with Dutch Hot chocalate or a good Cafe Au Lait. The great mixture of dark rich tastes are imho very satisfying.