Blue cheese dressing

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2004/11/15 16:20:00
I'm a big fan of blue cheese dressing, especially when a restaurant makes it themselves. The genuine roqufort product, made using cheese from French sheep milk is seldom served, but the generic blue cheese product can be excellent. What is your favorite? Do you pay extra for blue cheese dressing in your area?
RubyRose
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/15 16:31:55
I like it too. If it's homemade, some restaurants add a surcharge. The best blue cheese dressing I've ever had was at a restaurant called The Windlass located on Lake Hopatcong in NJ.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/15 18:38:59
Always blue cheese. Always a positive sign for a restaurant if they carry some -- lowest in carbs too!.

Does ranch dressing come from a ranch?
ocdreamr
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/15 18:45:39
The Captains Galley, in Ocean City & Crisfield MD, makes their own, it is the best I've ever had.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/15 19:10:22
I'm a big fan of Rootie's blue cheese, made in Buffalo, NY.
prius
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/15 19:10:45
Simple Blue Cheese Thousand Island dressing...wonderful:

Blender:

1 small onion..cut up
1 cup mixture of mayonnaise and salad dressing
1/2 cup salad oil
1/2 cup catsup
2 T vinegar
2 T sugar
1tsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp celery seed
dash of pepper

BLEND

Add 4 ounces blue cheese...shake,,,place in container to meld flavors overnight.
RubyRose
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/15 19:16:42
Ocdreamr, I have had the BC dressing at the Captains Galley and is really wonderful.
tmiles
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/16 08:43:16
For a bottled product, I like the Litehouse, made in Sandpoint ID.
ocdreamr
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/16 08:52:52
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Ocdreamr, I have had the BC dressing at the Captains Galley and is really wonderful.

RubyRose,

When I asked them about the dressing all they would tell me was that the manager made it himself, couldn't seem to ever make enough of it and that it is buttermilk base
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/16 09:01:14
My mother in law makes the best I have had. Many places it is tasteless. Have yet to really find a good one outside the house that I like.
BaconBits
Hamburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/16 10:02:02
I love steakhouses that have that oily roqufort dressing for their chopped salads. My favorite is the Itlalian steakhous in NYC, Pietros - there's nothing like their chopped salad with roqufort.

Another great steakhouse chopped salad is the from the Palm. Same idea - chopped with red peppers and onions and romaine lettuce and tomatoes and that wonderful dressing. YUM!
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/16 19:08:55
If you like the creamy bleu cheese dressing, when you know how to make ranch dressing from scratch, making bleu cheese dessing is a snap.

The base is the same: mayonnaise mixed with a fork with buttermilk--slightly less buttermilk than mayo. Don't use anything electric to blend this.

The seasoning is the same: ranch needs dill, garlic salt and fresh ground black pepper. For blue, cut WAY WAY back on the seasonings other than pepper. Consider replacing the garlic salt with plain salt. Add crumbled bleu cheese and let it rest in the fridge, then taste and reseason as needed.

The only garlic salt I use is Lawry's. Substitute any brand that includes sugar and parsley in the blend as the salt and these ingredients prevent the garlic powder from going bitter.

Bleu cheese crumbles easily after it has been frozen.
markolenski
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/16 19:16:37
Chuck's steak houses have great Blus cheese dressing.
tmiles
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/17 08:20:58
quote:
Originally posted by markolenski

Maybe different Chick's use different dressing. Chuck's, I think is a franchise. The one in Auburn Mass is very good and we go a few times a year. The salad bar is often rated the best in the area. I could be wrong, but I think that this Chuck's anyway uses a blue cheese dressing from a gallon jug. Nearby, Maxwell Silverman's in Worcester does do a house made dressing of good but variable quality. I like a dressing that is more creamy than slimey, and I have never had a bottled product that is not at least a little bit slimey.
mek
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/17 09:17:10
When I go to the Prime Rib, in Baltimore, I start with the 1/4 head of Iceberg, with Roquefort. Instead of puring it over the lettuce, they bring me my own bowl. I love that place...
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/17 10:05:53
[:P] If they serve salad in heaven, it will come topped with Blue Cheese dressing. After discovering the alarmingly high fat gram content of BC dressing years ago, I only fantasize about the taste now, saving a rare indulgence for special occasions.
Oh well, my favorite Blue Cheese dressing story: In the 1970's, a girlfriend with good taste took me to Engine House #5 in German Village in Columbus, Ohio for a birthday dinner. Following the "Charlie's Pot" (a not-so-little dutch oven of seafood, baked potatoes, and corn on the cob), the staff did their trademark birthday thing - they slid down the brass pole of the converted firehouse upside down with a birthday cake topped with a sparkler in one hand - this was high theater for a restaurant in Ohio in the 70's. At the next table was a portly, obviously successful gentleman with his svelte younger wife giving their order to the waitress. When she read off the salad dressings, the gentleman immediately chose the Blue Cheese. His slim wife protested, saying "Now, honey, remember your heart..." and the man errupted, shouting "I'll have a whole god damn bucket of blue cheese dressing if I want!". [:O] At this point you could hear a pin drop in the restaurant as everybody froze in silence. I leaned over to the red-faced wife in an attempt to help and said, "The Blue Cheese dressing IS excellent here..." and people started chatting again. His embarrased wife was quiet the rest of their meal, he got his BC dressing (not a bucketful, but a generous portion), and my girlfriend and I had fun reenacting the scene on the way home. I can never think of BCD without thinking of that mythical "bucketful" to this day.
Lucky Bishop
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/18 12:18:31
The Student Prince in Springfield MA has a special house dressing: with great ceremony, the waiter stands at your table and mashes an enormous knob of Roquefort into a basic boiled dressing. Delicious.
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/18 12:57:48
Here is my simple bleu cheese dressing that my friends and family love.

2 - 8 oz cartons sour cream
2 - packages bleu cheese (crumbled)
1 - cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 - teaspoons fresh lemon juice
garlic powder (or fresh garlic) to taste
salt to taste
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Store in refrigerator in glass canning jar.

At times I have started eating this right away but it really is better if it is regrigerated for a while before using.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/18 13:17:35
quote:
Originally posted by markolenski

Chuck's Steak House? Are they still around? I used to go to one in Orange, Connecticut back in the mid 1960s. That was the first place I ever saw a salad bar.
markolenski
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/18 13:40:36
It is still there. We go to Ct twice a year and always stop for dinner. They have had the same cook for 30 years
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/18 14:05:39
Wow! I can still remember being so cool and ordering Mateuse with our steaks.
dereksmith
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/18 14:06:05
I'm always partial to the Blue Cheese at Ridgewood. And you thought it was jus the BBQ. We always take home a quart of it to Charlotte, NC. Good thing my wife doesn't like Blue Cheese.
Nemis
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/18 15:34:23
I like using Maytag blue from Iowa, here's a little tip ..use some sort of a strong stiff strainer and run the cheese thought with your hand, that way you will get nice little crumbles.
andypants
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/23 21:17:51
quote:
Originally posted by mek

When I go to the Prime Rib, in Baltimore, I start with the 1/4 head of Iceberg, with Roquefort. Instead of puring it over the lettuce, they bring me my own bowl. I love that place...

I used to live in Mt Vernon but I never ate there. I will have to
try it.

The only steak house I have eaten in in Balto was Morton's (good steak but lousy service, they clearly wanted the diners to eat fast and leave).
I ate at Burke's once or twice, is that considered a steak place?
ocdreamr
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/24 09:56:43
quote:
Originally posted by andypants

quote:
Originally posted by mek

I used to live in Mt Vernon but I never ate there. I will have to
try it.

The only steak house I have eaten in in Balto was Morton's (good steak but lousy service, they clearly wanted the diners to eat fast and leave).
I ate at Burke's once or twice, is that considered a steak place?

Burke's isn't a steak place but it is a Baltimore institition!It seems like a steak place because it's menu is pretty much the same as it was back in the 60's when beef & seafood were pretty much all you expected to find on a menu.
topferment
Hamburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/24 11:59:31
Here's a simple one:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
salt to taste and lots of fresh ground black pepper

Mix all together.

This is especially great on hot wings. If you are in a hurry a decent dressing can be made from the first four ingredients, plus salt and pepper.

linus
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/11/25 22:25:51
Wonder if this is just an Ohio kind of thing, but around here, we often buy a blue cheese dressing made by Marzetti's that has blue cheese in a honey french dressing, the orange stuff. It's really good!
Of course, it tastes different than the white mayo based dressings. Try it sometime, you may like it on a salad that has fruit in it. I put it on a salad of tossed greens, apple and/or pear slices, red onion and walnuts. Yummy.Needless to say, it's easy to make if you can't buy it.
BBQjoe
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2004/12/06 09:24:36
Amedeo's an Italian restaurant in Raleigh, NC makes my favorite blue cheese dressing. I go there every other month or so and get a quart to go. It is spicy like a spicy ranch and lots of blue cheese. We make lettuce wedges with the blue cheese. bacon, parmesean cheese and fresh ground pepper. We also dip almost anything else we eat in it. I would highly recommend to all in the Triangle area. I am not a big fan of the restaurants other foods but do likes its college atmosphere.
luv
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/05/07 01:04:32
some places charge .50 extra but not most. i love bleu cheese and the dressing. i always get double.
dreamzpainter
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/06/12 12:27:20
Im a blucheese nut!! burgers, fries, macaroni and potato salads.... I don't make my own dressing but I do doctor the kraft brand with added crumbles (lots and lots)thicken with a little miricle whip and pour over boiled chunk potatos, bacon and onion..or macaroni, onion, celery and halved grape tomato's... a package of blu mixed with a block of cream cheese and a box of ritz crackers and I'm in heaven!
RVlifestyle
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/06/15 23:02:05
Does anyone have a good Blue Cheese receipe that does NOT include mayo. I love Blue cheese but can't stand the thought of mayo
tmiles
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/06/16 12:43:59
I think that the creamy white kind has "mayo" in in even if you don't add it. A place that I know makes it from "scratch", with just sour cream, egg yokes, olive oil, blue cheese and spice. There is no mayonnaise in it, but if you dropped the sour cream and cheese, I think that you would have mayo. I have also had a non creamy blue cheese dressing (and a similar one with feta) that seems to be a reved up italian with crumbled cheese added. I don't have the receipe.
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/06/16 13:07:32
quote:
Originally posted by RVlifestyle

Does anyone have a good Blue Cheese receipe that does NOT include mayo. I love Blue cheese but can't stand the thought of mayo

how's this:
1/2 cup each sour cream and plain yogert
1/2tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Worcestershie sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1Tsp lemon juice.
dash of tobasco
salt and pepper to taste.
Wisk to blend, then gently fold in 1/2 cup blue cheese.
If it's too thick for your taste, thin it with a little buttermilk.
I let it sit in the icebox for a few hours before serving.
mek
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/06/16 14:14:48
The Prime Rib, in Baltimore, has served an iceberge wedge w blue cheese salad since 1965.
They never use anything but real Roquefort.
For the holidays, I make a dip for veggies consisting of 75% roquefort,almost 25% cream cheese,and a few tbsps of Hellmann's. I ususally let it sit in the fridge overnight.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/06/17 23:41:24
A few years ago, I visited a friend in Munster, Germany and they made their own blue cheese dressing, deliciaous and EASY:
1.Soften blue cheese,
2.Mash with a small amount of milk.

That's it, folks!

(I also enjoyed how the Germans cut tomatoes for the salad: sliced "sideways" - vertically - not horizontally which actually tasted jucier!)
StL Dan
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/07/07 01:11:16
I love Bloo Cheese and BC dressing...always have. It ticks me off when restaurants don't have it.

The best BC dressing I've had is at Houston's.

They make it from scratch. It's the oily snotty chunky stuff that is so rank it's incredible.

Forsyth
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/07/13 11:14:17
The Tivoli Restaurant (long defuncta) in Chicago Heights, Illinois was my brother's employer for years. Traditional northern Italian cuisine was wonderful.

But the best thing I remember and do to this day was salad dressing: homemade French dressing with crumbled blue cheese on top.

I know what I'm having for lunch. I just picked my first tomatoes.

Is it lunch yet?
CraigieFresh
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/07/20 19:10:12
A goodblue cheese dressing can make a salad dance and a wing sing. I'm a believer that the supermarket carries a few good choices: Ken's, Bob's...both are excellent. The best I've ever had is at a little restaurant in the Poconos called Platz's. Although there's a joint in Los Angeles called Hot Wings Cafe that makes their own...just the right tough of garlic...when I get my wings I always get an extra quart for the week!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/07/27 15:00:47
quote:
Originally posted by topferment

Here's a simple one:

1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
salt to taste and lots of fresh ground black pepper

Mix all together.

This is especially great on hot wings. If you are in a hurry a decent dressing can be made from the first four ingredients, plus salt and pepper.

topferment: I am a fan of blue cheese dressing and I tried your recipe and it works for me. Family loved it and this is no put down but my dog liked it also. I added a little more crubled blue cheese than you but I like it really chunky.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
cindyloo
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/07/27 15:17:23
My recipe is a pint of mayo, a pint of buttermilk, 6 oz. crumbled bleu cheese, a small minced garlic clove, and a tsp. of worchestershire. Mix it all up, and let it be in the fridge for a day or so for the flavors to blend.

I also enjoy salads with just olive oil and white balsamic vinegar, topped with crumbled blue cheese. Yum....

Cindy
aharste
Hamburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/07/27 16:21:48
To "RVlifestyle" who wanted blue cheese dressing without the mayo, make your favorite vinaigrette, then add a lot of crumbled blue cheese, shake vigorously, and pour over your salad. Some of the cheese should dissolve to add a little creaminess, but there should be some good chunks left. It's really good.

I ran across this idea in a cooking magazine last year.
lb
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/08/18 17:50:46
quote:
Originally posted by StL Dan

I love Bloo Cheese and BC dressing...always have. It ticks me off when restaurants don't have it.

They make it from scratch. It's the oily snotty chunky stuff that is so rank it's incredible.

lb
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/08/18 17:51:51
quote:
Originally posted by StL Dan

I second Stl Dan. Houston's has the best blue cheese dressing I've ever had.
mar52
Sirloin
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/08/18 23:29:37
My "secret" dressing that everyone loves is simple.

No measurements...

Japanese seasoned rice vinigar and crumbled blue cheese.

That's it.

I use it over a green salad with lots of diced vegies. dried cranberries and assorted nuts.

I like taste and texture.
mbrookes
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/08/19 11:23:54
For blue cheese without mayo, try making Good Seasons herb and garlic dressing using tarragon vinegar. Crumble blue cheese over the salad and add the dressing.This is really good on a summer salad of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and green onions.
BelleReve
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/08/26 11:40:26
I made this last weekend and it was easy to make, and very good.

Blue Cheese Dressing

1/4 c. salad oil, or Canola oil
1-2 tsp. lemon juice
zest of 1 small lemon
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 c. sour cream
2/3 c. chunks of blue cheese(Maytag is excellent)
salt to taste

In a food processor, blend above ingredients except for blue cheese. Add blue cheese and set on "pulse" 1-2 times, being careful not to overblend (you want some chunks). Taste, and adjust for more salt or lemon, if you feel it's needed. Refrigerate several hours or overnight before using. About 30 minutes before serving, take out out only what you intend to use.
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/08/26 12:04:50
My family used to love the Italian dressing with crumbled blue cheese on it at Beningo's in Bloomington, IL.
tmiles
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/11/28 15:38:09
I have become a fan of the "T. Mazetti" (spelling?) refrigerated blue cheese dressing. It usually costs between 3 and 4 dollars for a 15 oz jar, but when I first tried it, thay had it on sale for less than a buck. Marie's was the first in my market over 25 years (and several owners)ago. They have recently been joined by others including Litehouse and now Marzetti. Hardly a week goes by that one is not on deep discount, I expect, to build or protect market share. Each is better than most restaurant BC dressing. Priced the same, what one do you prefer?? Would you shift from your "preferred" if another were on sale???
Theedge
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/11/28 15:57:43
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/11/28 16:04:26
T. Marzetti and Marie's are also among the best store bought "creamy" blue cheese dressings in this area. I like both and get whatever is on sale, but I don't eat this style often due to the high fats and calories.

We always keep some crumbled rouquefort blue cheese in the fridge for use on our salads, and just mix it in with the veggies before we apply our favorite dressing. This gives me my favorite, an Italian style balsamic vinegrette with crumbled blue.
V960
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/11/29 15:09:13
The Ranch House in Charlotte mkes their ourn Roquefort dresssing. If you ask for blue cheese dressing they will politly (hey it is Charlotte) tell you they do not have blue cheese only Roquefort. Don't miss the fresh ground horseradish sauce on shrimp cocktail when you visit....
meltedcheese
Junior Burger
RE: Blue cheese dressing 2005/12/12 13:53:35
I like most kinds of blue cheese dressing except the vinaigrette kind. And mostly homemade cos many bottled or commercial blue cheese dressings are either too runny, too salty or too vinegary for my liking.

for the non mayo guy, I have made a non mayo bc dressing using 0% fat sheeps milk yoghurt ( the thick stuff, like greek yoghurt) and crumbled blue cheese, seasoned and with a squeeze of fresh lemon and some chopped chives or maybe finely shredded scallions. real nice on a baked tater