I always hated school cafeteria food...

Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Author
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 13:31:17 (permalink)
I remember the time my mom came to eat at "parents' lunch day" in the sixth grade and she caught pinworms as did many of the other "diners"! I don't know exactly what it was from, but many of the parents got them after that escapade and I vaguely remember most of them eating "chef salad". E-yuck!

Andrea
jman
  • Total Posts : 1338
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 13:50:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The "Milk History" in my School lunch journal was an interesting story in itself.
I recall in my first school years (late 1940's) We had Glass bottles pulled around to the classroom in a red wagon, where we ate of brown-bag (lunchbox) lunches. The bottle had a paper cap with a tab to pull up for straw insertion. Serving size was 'Half-Pint' (8 oz). Next we went to a wax-paper carton with a round tab in one corner of the flat top...pull-up the tab to open, again half-pint size. Then they increased the size of the serving to one-third quart (@11 OZ) in a new shaped carton that had an angle roof with a pull tab on the side of the roof of the carton. Then they again changed the shape to the angle roof with the corner that you folded back then forced open to form a spout (like the quart containers used today.) I think the changes were part of a conspiracy to make us accept change in everything in our lives. It was a solid lesson in the lack of permanence anywhere...

When you bring up those little half-pint milk bottles, the first thing that comes to mind is how difficult they were to open at times. At least twice a week, someone would experience a geyser of milk when instead of prying the cardboard top up, they pushed it down into the bottle. The result would be a milk bath for the perpetrator and anyone sitting nearby.

BTW, milk cost $.02 a bottle back then.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6264
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 13:55:17 (permalink)
Try being a teacher. It's brown bag it,or eat in the school cafeteria...same food the kids eat at a "grownup" price. Little is ever worth the price you pay!
Kenny
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 14:04:37 (permalink)
I have fond memories of school lunches. I liked the square pizza, pizza burgers, meat loaf with gravy and mashed potatoes, open faced turkey sandwich, chili always served with a peanutbutter and honey sandwich. I never cared for the soy hamburgers, pork tenderloins(very thin and dry) barbacue sandwich. High school food wasn't as good, but we had other choices besides the daily special.
I'm lucky to still be in touch with the wonderful lady that was responsible for all that good food.
A side note: I always liked those lunch trays.
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 15:37:49 (permalink)
Barney, I think most of the food today is made from processed and instant ingredients. It just doesn't taste the same. Even mac and cheese is made with powdered cheese. Not much seems to be fresh anymore. Kind of like instant pudding. I only like the cooked kind so I usually make it from scratch.
angeltearsmc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 18:30:56 (permalink)
Oh the memories... In my high school ('97-'01) we had chicken patty day every Wednesday - those generic chicken patty sandwiches, which almost everyone LOVED, and mashed potatoes that were probably instant, but seemed to be the best potatoes I'd ever eaten. We also had
"Bosco Stick" day every couple of weeks - those things were AMAZING (cheese-filled breadsticks unlike any other.) For a while they would bring in Arby's sandwiches or personal Pizza Hut pizzas one day every few weeks, but neither of those was a favorite of mine. The chocolate peanut butter bars were a very popular dessert, as were the soft, thick sugar cookies. For some odd reason, butter sandwiches were often served, I'm not sure with what - but it was just butter/margarine slathered between two slices of white bread, can you say nutritious?? LOL! I can't remember what else we had - some was good, some was crap, as in every school cafeteria. Me, I usually drank a diet Coke for lunch, or occasionally had Pop-Tarts or mashed potatoes - unless there were Bosco Sticks. haha!
Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 19:00:43 (permalink)
Lynndunham: You are so right! So much instant everything that I wonder if kids today will appreciate a good roadfood type place in the future! With the help of this website, I continue to enjoy reading and seeing some of the most wonderful places off the main road! With that in mind, I'm getting ready to try my hand at making some good yeast rolls to go with the meatloaf I'll put together for tomm. Barney
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 19:16:54 (permalink)
As a teacher who has traveled with students to Europe,I can attest to the fact that many kids today already don't appreciate good food!!! In Rome kids chose a McDonalds over local fair...and Kentucky Fried Chicken in Stratford- Upon-Avon instead of a local street fair full of local food!!! Lots of other examples...but it's all the same.This is a generation who believes Mcdonalds is a real hamburger and Pizza Hut is real pizza.If we're not careful,someday these places WILL be roadfood!
TerrierMom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 19:35:08 (permalink)
I attended elementary/middle school in two different states, AZ, and CT. I loved the food at the middle school in CT. Very good for school food. HS I went to a small private school. We had open campus lunch and vending machines.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/04 20:14:33 (permalink)
I was responsible for operating a high school and elementary school food service program in the mid 70's. We fed 25,000 students daily. Atmosphere plays a big part in the unhappiness students have with their school food service program. Unfortunately, there is little money to brighten up and modernize a lot of these cafeterias. College feeding environments are so much more conducive to enjoying institutional food service feeding.

In a second career, later in life, I taught in high schools in Florida for 8 years. I never discussed my former vocation feeding students. But, what I found truly amazing was 25 years later, the students at my high school would eat pizza (Pappa John's) EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR 180 DAYS! I never saw anything like that in New Jersey....Never.

In South Florida, the school cafeterias offer students a hot meal, cold sandwiches, etc. Much of those offerings are made with USDA donated foods such as American Cheese, cold cuts, ground beef, turkey, etc. But, the district (Miami Dade) also allows their cafeteria managers to purchase pizzas from local outside operators like Papa John's. That is literally all the kids want. They'd bring in boxes and boxes of pizzas every day. And in the morning, the sports teams raised money by selling Krispy Kream donuts and the kids brought them, too. So, for basically 180 days, most of the students had donuts for breakfast and pizza for lunch.

I'm nobody to judge anyone's diet, but it does make you wonder....
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/05 07:29:30 (permalink)
I AM a teacher in New Jersey, and times have sure changed. We sell fries and pizza(well not REAL pizza,it's dominos)every day....no hot meals...just sandwiches,like processed chicken,etc. Many kids get a pizza,placed over a bed of French Fries!!!!I'm not shocked when I am told there are a fair number of diabetics in our schools.No wonder. For all the talk about bringing back healthy food,it's happening slowly,to say the least!
exsquidao
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/05 07:36:07 (permalink)
Seems like you are in a perfect position to have an impact on this issue, what have your superiors said to your ideas.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/05 13:49:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I AM a teacher in New Jersey, and times have sure changed. We sell fries and pizza(well not REAL pizza,it's dominos)every day....no hot meals...just sandwiches,like processed chicken,etc. Many kids get a pizza,placed over a bed of French Fries!!!!I'm not shocked when I am told there are a fair number of diabetics in our schools.No wonder. For all the talk about bringing back healthy food,it's happening slowly,to say the least!

That is hideous but I'm not surprised --- at least the food I was served in school was nutritious, even if it some of it didn't taste good! Giving the kids pizza and fries everyday if they want it is bad. Oh, the good old days of "Monday is Turkey day"; "Tuesday is Spaghetti"; "Wednesday is hot dogs and sauerkraut"; etc. etc. And, no soda machines! We all lived, and were healthier for it the way it was despite the complaining. You were given your tray, and yes vegetables were on it (and I liked most of the school veggies)and there were no substitutions unless you had a health problem!

Andrea
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/05 14:28:16 (permalink)
We've made a little progress in our school. All soda is banned. Fries can only be bought with an entre(thus the pizza over fries,I talked about.) We do have some great salads,but mostly the teacher's buy them. We have soup,but its quality varies. New Jersey is passing laws which will have things improve over the next year.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/06 12:20:19 (permalink)
Loved:
Sloppy Joes w/Crinkle cut fries
Chili
Peanut butter sandwich

Hated:
Pimento Cheese sandwich
Fried Fish Sandwich
Mystery Burger

Tolerated;
Hot Italian Sub
Pizza squares
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/10 07:52:33 (permalink)
Oh God! School sloppy joe's...forgot those...actually they'd be better than most school fare today!
AllysonChains
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/11 17:08:10 (permalink)
We had good food in elementary school.My favorites were;

Hot Turkey or Beef Chunks/Gravy over Mashed Potatoes
Square Pizza
Foot Long Hot Dogs
Sloppy Joes

A Peanut Butter/Fudge cake

The Taco's,and Fish Sandwiches were pretty gross though.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8328
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/11 18:25:11 (permalink)
I loved our cafeteria food...
jailguard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/11 18:49:04 (permalink)
I always loved the pizza... Yeah especially after it was under the heat lamps for a few hours ... and when you went to eat it it would be stuck to the paper plate... YUM!
TooPhat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/13 09:58:39 (permalink)
In grade school I always loved the spagetti and chili, both with a slice of buttered white bread. Sloppy joes were always a favorite too. The no bake cookies and the butter crunchies ranked high on my list too.
Pam
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/13 10:10:31 (permalink)
Ah, school food. The original steamed hamburger.

Liked spaghetti, octagon pizza, mushy green beans, bringing in my lunch.
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/13 10:30:07 (permalink)
Loved the spaghetti,the turnip greens ,the fruit cobblers and the fried cornbread...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/13 10:48:43 (permalink)
I am sorta old but the schools that I attended offered no soda's of any kind.

I do remember the hamburger witha sauce. It was very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7843
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/13 17:11:05 (permalink)
I was a Los Angeles City School System kid in the 60's.

I even worked in the cafeteria in the 6th grade.

I was the pudding pusher! Had to make sure the pudding was at the front of the tray.

I loved the mustard/butter/dill pickle spread they put on the hotdogs and hamburgers.

I loved the mac and cheese, sweet rolls, buttered French bread, chocolate flying saucer cookies and Ranger cookies!

I'd go to a restaurant that served all of the above if I knew it was from the original recipes.
AllysonChains
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/15 18:40:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I am sorta old but the schools that I attended offered no soda's of any kind.

I do remember the hamburger witha sauce. It was very good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

No soda at my school either.You had milk,choc milk or juice.
jman
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/15 18:50:03 (permalink)
Last night, for some reason, I thought about something that was served at my elementary school (that's more than 50 years ago).

On Fridays, they usually served salmon croquettes that were shaped like a shuttle cock. They were terrible!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/15 19:29:01 (permalink)
Ham Salad made from scratch sandwiches on bread that the ladies baked there. When they baked the whole school smelled like what I envision Heaven smelling like. They also made the best yeast dinner rolls! I don't think there was one of them that was under 50 years old!
jman
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/15 19:43:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

I don't think there was one of them that was under 50 years old!

The ladies, the ham salad sandwiches, or the rolls?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/15 20:01:22 (permalink)
The Ham salad , the rolls and the ladies were all fresh!
Big Dave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2008/03/16 11:13:37 (permalink)
In the public schools where I came from, it should have been illegal to call the drek they served food.

KSU and YSU are two different stories. I had to live on campus at KSU. The one thing that sets KSU and YSU apart was custom breakfasts. At KSU, one could get things made to order (before all this politically correct bullsXXt). Lunch and dinner fare was decent, but nothing special.

YSU had (and I think still does) Arby's on campus. That got old really quick. There were establishments off campus, but they were never convenient, as in, all my classes were on the other side of the campus. The in-house facilities were OK. It was definitely a step above the drek that the Warren City Schools served. It was about 10 years before I could stomach Arby's again. I still have a hard time with it to this day.

I don't know if KSU still offers food coupons, but they didn't give us enough to starve to death.

I couldn't live on the fare at the universities, but I would rather starve than live public school slop.
Page: << < ..67 > Showing page 6 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1