Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I always hated school cafeteria food...

Change Page: < 1234567 | Showing page 7 of 7, messages 181 to 193 of 193
AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Sun, 03/16/08 12:55 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Dave

In the public schools where I came from, it should have been illegal to call the drek they served food.

KSU and YSU are two different stories. I had to live on campus at KSU. The one thing that sets KSU and YSU apart was custom breakfasts. At KSU, one could get things made to order (before all this politically correct bullsXXt). Lunch and dinner fare was decent, but nothing special.

YSU had (and I think still does) Arby's on campus. That got old really quick. There were establishments off campus, but they were never convenient, as in, all my classes were on the other side of the campus. The in-house facilities were OK. It was definitely a step above the drek that the Warren City Schools served. It was about 10 years before I could stomach Arby's again. I still have a hard time with it to this day.

I don't know if KSU still offers food coupons, but they didn't give us enough to starve to death.

I couldn't live on the fare at the universities, but I would rather starve than live public school slop.

In college, I spaced my classes one right after another and only partook of the cafeteria every now and then, and it was pretty good. I usually ate at home or on the way home rather than go to the cafeteria. In law school, the classes were spaced more apart so I too got sick of the Arby's which was the closest in walking distance. I was very sick of the vending machines in the basement and shudder when I see any Tom's products.

Andrea

MiamiDon

RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Sun, 03/16/08 1:06 PM (permalink)
    I'm 53, and when I was a young child my mother would not let me eat the cafeteria food, so I never had the dubious pleasure of eating it. She made lunch for me every day until she passed on. I do remember the food my schoolmates were eating did not look very appealing. I think that the worst was tuna casserole, it was stinky.

The cafeteria food was fine in my dorm at SUNY Buffalo in the early 70's. At $300 per semester, I thought it was a bargain.

I've read in the newspapers about the intrusion of soda, candy, chips, pizza, fried food, etc. into the Miami-Dade County schools, and I cannot think that it is a good thing for the under-exercised kids of today (we had 5 hours of gym per week when I was in high school).

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
      RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Sun, 03/16/08 7:08 PM (permalink)
      I feel so deprived. I managed to get through grade school, junior high and high school without ever eating in a school cafeteria or riding a bus. They were all public schools too. I lived too close. I always walked and in grade school walked home for lunch or packed a lunch. My high school didn't have a cafeteria or busses. The furthest reach from the high school was about 1-1/2 miles. From junior high on I preferred to eat lunches at the local greasy spoons or drugstore lunch counters. They were cheap and I started working at age 10 with a morning paper route, and had money to do so. That was in the era of stay at home moms. I doubt that situation could happen today.

CCJPO

• Total Posts: 497
        RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 2:58 PM (permalink)
        BIG DAVE:

YSU = Youngstown State?

KSU = Kent State?

CCJPO

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
          RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 3:23 PM (permalink)
          I'm sorry, but I could not stand the taste of cafeteria food as a whole. I thought the pizza was mediocre and they never had fish. And they had the cheapest types of food and could not buy anything worth eating... Son of Russ, 13

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
            RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 4:04 PM (permalink)
            The 2 things I liked best were the turkey soup and the salad. Nothing else stands out.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
              RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 4:14 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Davydd

I feel so deprived. I managed to get through grade school, junior high and high school without ever eating in a school cafeteria or riding a bus. They were all public schools too. I lived too close. I always walked and in grade school walked home for lunch or packed a lunch. My high school didn't have a cafeteria or busses. The furthest reach from the high school was about 1-1/2 miles. From junior high on I preferred to eat lunches at the local greasy spoons or drugstore lunch counters.
              I would have loved to (legally) leave campus for a burger at the local greasy bag joint, but my high school was a closed campus. The cafeteria food in high school was foul. Lifelong scofflaw that I am, when I started driving to school, I'd simply drive my '53 Ford pickup around the heavy chain barriers that blocked the parking lot egress points.

I was suspended for that, but it didn't stop me. I was eventually expelled in my senior year at the semester break for numerous culinary related leaving the campus abominations, as well as refusing to participate in P.E. class, which was another abomination according to the school district in which I was imprisoned.

The cafeteria food in my elementary and junior high schools was excellent, for the most part. In 5th and 6th grade, I can recall Friday taco day. For some reason, they were always accompanied by diced beets. Tacos and diced beets..... that school nutritionist had her head firmly stuck in the dark place.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 4:53 PM (permalink)
                I've found many good sources of cheap eats near college campuses. For some reason, they're better near private colleges than state colleges.

lunasatic

• Total Posts: 283
                  RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 5:32 PM (permalink)
                  My grandmother was lunchroom supervisor for 30+ years at Boyce Elementary School in Boyce, LA. I went to grade school before fast food was invented, so we got the same things at school that we got at home (a meat, usually butchered locally; 2 vegs, usually grown locally; a starch, usually mashed potatos or rice w/gravy; fresh cornbread or biscuit; and white milk). Dessert was usually sheet cake or fruit cobbler of whatever was in season. All the food was cooked in the lunchroom the morning of the day it was eaten by mothers/grandmothers of consuming students. Commodities were allowed, but usually well-disguised. The school was allowed to buy from local growers , and nearly everybody (including us) had a truck garden or a "side yard" garden. Oh, for the good old days!

Scarlett

• Total Posts: 402
                    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 5:50 PM (permalink)
                    I must have been one of the lucky ones.
                    I thought our school cafateria food was good - great in fact. To name a few of my favorites, meat loaf, chili, veggie soup, and the yeast rolls... oh my goodness they would melt in your mouth. Simple food and well prepared.

I don't remember any one ever slamming the food that was served.

Sundancer7

RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Mon, 03/17/08 6:13 PM (permalink)
                      I recall the apple crisp and the semi BBQ. It was all good and I wish I could recall 48 years ago to the food that I enjoued at Bearden High School. I enjoyed every meal.

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

Big Dave

• Total Posts: 142
                        RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... Tue, 03/18/08 9:16 PM (permalink)
                        CCJPO... you are...right.

pjmcgee

• Total Posts: 1
                          Re:I always hated school cafeteria food... Sat, 04/27/13 10:51 AM (permalink)
                          Hi
                          I am new here and not sure where to start but I have been looking for years for a recipe for the spice cake they used to serve with our school lunches.  I went to a small Texas country school in the 70s.  I have come close several times but not just right.  I am 47 years old but I was talking to a friend in her 60s and she remembers it too but couldn't locate a recipe either, so I guess between the two of us it is a pretty old recipe.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                            Change Page: < 1234567 | Showing page 7 of 7, messages 181 to 193 of 193

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com