I always hated school cafeteria food...

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
2004/11/19 11:12:16 (permalink)

I always hated school cafeteria food...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=3&u=/ap/20041118/ap_on_fe_st/food_fight

192 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 11:33:52 (permalink)
    Huh... Meatloaf and Mashed Spud day was my favorite...
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:02:14 (permalink)
    My favorite was baked butterbeans with little sausage patties scattered throughout the beans. That was so yummy. I never think to make butterbeans as a side dish anymore. Wonder why?

Donna
    dhdav66
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:10:13 (permalink)
    I always loved the crazy combinations -- my favorite was the square pizza served with French Fries or tater tots.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:15:53 (permalink)
    Hmm. Having taught eighth grade in Memphis 1970-1975, I know enough to suggest that it might not have been the food, And generally speaking, eighth graders have yet to be classified as entirely human.

When I was in High School many people thought I was Roman Catholic because I always chose the fish on Friday in the school cafeteria. I wasn't, but the fish was so good that I wish I had the recipe today!
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:17:19 (permalink)
    My high school used to make a 'hot hamburger sandwich' which I loved. They would make a hamburger cream gravy (probably from govt surplus food). Then they would put a slice of white bread on the plate, add a scoop of mashed potatoes, add another slice of white bread on top, and then ladel the hamburger gravy over the entire thing.

The only food rebellion I remember was when they made 'sloppy joes' using tuna fish.

Dino
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:18:19 (permalink)
    In the early to mid 1960s we'd get this meat patty that looked like cooked, shredded pot roast was molded into a log and then sliced. It sounds weird, but most of us liked it.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7367
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:38:02 (permalink)
    I went to 5th and 6th grade in a school building that was so small there was NO cafeteria. So we either brown-bagged it OR we were allowed to go across the street to the Catholic school and eat in their cafeteria which was staffed with about 20 Italian ladies. Lawdy, did those kids ever eat good! They were happily chomping down on chicken parmesan, penne with Bolognaise sauce, fresh salads, crusty bread and here we were across the street with a cold sammich!
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:53:05 (permalink)

Yep, the memories:

Tacos oozing full of grease
    Pizza overloaded with those anise seeds
    Mystery Meat sub sandwiches buried in sauce
    Chicken and Rice or Turkey and Dressing days" />

...and you know it might be a bad day when you walk in
    the cafeteria to get your lunch ticket and the first thing
    you see is a dead roach on the floor
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18935
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 12:54:28 (permalink)
    We had cafeterias in my junior high school and my high school, but I never saw the insides of them.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 13:36:36 (permalink)
    We had good food in my Elementary School = Grades 1-8, but when I got to High School-that was a different story.
    I remember the Elementary School food like hot yeast rolls, creamed chicken over rice, fried chicken with rice and gravy, Hot apple pie with grated cheese, Wonderful beef vegetable soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, Barbecue chicken, -This was in the late 50's , early 60's before the schools started serving all those fast food type of lunches.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 13:40:30 (permalink)
    I tried school dinners once when I was about 6 or 7. Just once. That was enough for me. I was sick after. I took packed lunches after that for the rest of my school career. Unfortunately we had to eat those in the same room as the school dinnerites so I could still smell it. There was a " pig bin " at the back of the dinner room that you were supposed to scrape off your leftovers into. Most of the dinners smelt like they been scraped out of the pigbin. This was way before multiple choice cafeteria style dinners and fancy modern stuff like pizza or baked potatoes. This was strictly meat and veg stuff. Ewww.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 13:58:38 (permalink)
    Welcome back Miss Kitty-you have been missed here on Roadfoo
    quote:
    Originally posted by MissKitty

I tried school dinners once when I was about 6 or 7. Just once. That was enough for me. I was sick after. I took packed lunches after that for the rest of my school career. Unfortunately we had to eat those in the same room as the school dinnerites so I could still smell it. There was a " pig bin " at the back of the dinner room that you were supposed to scrape off your leftovers into. Most of the dinners smelt like they been scraped out of the pigbin. This was way before multiple choice cafeteria style dinners and fancy modern stuff like pizza or baked potatoes. This was strictly meat and veg stuff. Ewww.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 14:06:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Donna Douglass

My favorite was baked butterbeans with little sausage patties scattered throughout the beans. That was so yummy. I never think to make butterbeans as a side dish anymore. Wonder why?

Donna

Well, Donna - get yourself to the store and whip some up for dinner with some cornbread!

No memories really stand out of cafeteria food in American schools, except for elementary school when our mom would give us an extra nickel on cinammon roll day. Those rolls would put Cinnabon to shame.

In Kuwait, you had to brown bag it, which could be very interesting, depending on what was available to buy. Mostly it was ham and cheese on Arabic bread with the occasional luck of a loaf of Pepperidge farm bread. The thing I dreaded most was when my mother would make us sandwiches out of mashed up Vienna sausages. There was no cafeteria, we just ate at our desks. During Ramadan when the Muslim kids were fasting we would go to a different room. I don't remember having bagged chips there, but that may just be my memory.

The best day at school was "Wimpy's" day, when hamburgers and fries from Wimpy's were brought in for lunch.

Milk was brought to each classroom daily. You ordered every day for the next day and could have your pick of plain, chocolate or strawberry. The milk containers there were a triangular shape with blue and white checks.

Looks like it comes in boxes now
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 14:18:23 (permalink)
    Originally posted by emsmom

Welcome back Miss Kitty-you have been missed here on Roadfood

Aww thanks emsmom, I have missed you all too !

Over the last two months I moved house and started an addtional job, I work 7 days a week now, and for the first 2 weeks after I moved I didnt have my own phoneline, soo no 'net Back now and gradually getting things unpacked and sorted out and settling into the new job so can spend a little more time checking out the forums
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/19 14:18:34 (permalink)
    FOOD FIGHT !!!! Reminds me of John Belushi as Bluto in Animal House.

I remember well (having tried to forget for decades) the poor quality cafeteria food which passed for fine dining in both high school and college. Imagine my surprise when visiting various colleges with my older son a few years ago to find how far the bar has been raised by college cafeteria's. Most now offer several all-you-can-eat stations with very high quality food.

Salad bars, wood fired pizza ovens, make-your-own deli section for subs or sandwiches, a grill line, and an entree station with several grilled and roasted items. He now goes to Hamilton College and they even have a sushi area and a choose your food wok area for stir fry. Rose and I really enjoy eating there when we visit, but of course, he is used to it and would rather go out to have something different.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7367
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 04:40:48 (permalink)
    As far as college cafeterias go, I probably attended one of the best......Westminster College in New Wilmington, PA. We regularly had steak and shrimp but the best was the salad bar and the ICE CREAM BAR where you could make your own Sundae or whatever, with all the toppings!! And this was 30 years ago!
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 10:01:30 (permalink)
    Johnnie Marzetti
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15333
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 10:25:23 (permalink)
    One of the above posts included the greasy taco comment. My last teaching post served tacos that matched grease with the nearby Jack-in-the-Box. Those 2 for 99cent little devils are the ultimate school lunch food, and the school personnel could imitate them for half the cost of the 'Name-brand' killer!
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 10:35:57 (permalink)
    The Soybean burgers at Germantown (TN) High School kicked butt! Really! They were served on a big greasy biscuit with pickles and onions. Everyday was good there, back in the early seventies.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 11:22:43 (permalink)
    When I wrote of the butterbeans/sausage bake, I was remembering the cafeteria we had in high school. Before that, I went to a little country elementary school which had no cafeteria per se, but a lunch room and a lunch offered daily of some kind of soup and milk; soup was usually tomato and we had our choice of white or chocolate milk, and the total cost of lunch was seven cents, that is 7 cents. The soup a nickel, the milk 2 cents. That was back in the mid-30s. High school was located in a much larger town and had a lot more money with which to provide things the little country school couldn't afford.

Memories!!!

Donna
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 11:23:49 (permalink)
    For the entire twelve yrs of my education in the Millis Ma school system, there was one constant---Mrs D'Angelos--the most magnificent,professional,friendly,talanted and smiling lunchlady in history! Nothing will sway this opinion--the mear thought ofher Sloppy Joes makes me droll---the wonderful rectangular "pizza"that was the same one she serverd at home as foccacia with sauce---i know ive eaten it there to!!--Creamed tuna over hand maid bisuits---Fish sandwiches made with real fish-usually cod-and her tartar sauce and clam rolls one friday a month! I loved that women---as they built new school facilites we moved along together--when the grammer school was split from the origainal 12 grade school---i went---she went---when i finished there and was ready for jr high the new JR-Sr high opened--i moved---she moved. She started a program for student volunteers in the kitchen---the guys loved it---work in the kitchen means extra desserts!!! 2NDS!!! AND 3RDS!!! She interveined with the Home Ec teachers to start a cooking class for "boys"--of which i was the first to sign uo for---there were only 8 of us---just barely enough to qualify ONE SEMESTER--after that we would need 20!! Mrs D had them shedule our clas right before the Main hight school lunch period---we would traipse in with say--a sheetcake for two guys!!!----or whole pies. The next semester they had 28 guys sign up.
    I may be a very rare case but i must admit---my school food memories are all good ones!---Thanks Mrs D!!!!!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 12:42:13 (permalink)
    At my recent 25th High School reunion several of us discussed a reason our cafeteria was so popular. It was an all boys school, and one of the women who staffed the counter was a very well endowed young woman, who always seemed to have one button too many open on her cafeteria lady outfit. Thinking back, I suspect it was all a ploy to increase sales and make us forget about the quality of the food. It worked in my case, (and many others) because while I can picture this woman quite vividly, I have no recollection good or bad about anything I ate during those four years of high school.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2329
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 16:29:53 (permalink)
    When I first attended San Diego State, the best food on campus was the 55 cent burger that came out of the vending machine. Looking back on it, it was awful, but I can recall a time I actually looked forward to my dry crusty burger.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 18:49:04 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    In elementary school, our lunchroom food was excellent. I especially remember the chicken pie, which I looked forward to and always wanted seconds (and thirds and fourths) on.
    In junior high school, the quality of the food was a little lower. I no longer returned home waxing poetic about what was served for lunch.
    In high school, a slight improvement was made, but it still wasn't as good as good old Chase Street School (which is still there, by the way).
    I guess I'm spoiled... my mother was a great cook, and so was my grandmother. I've never been skinny in my life, and loving good beer hasn't helped keep me svelte. I am totally resigned to the fact that I will never be a Mr. Sanitone lookalike... Santa Claus is closer to the mark.
    I sure with I had some of that chicken pie right now....
    Waxing Nostalgically (But Not My Legs), Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 19:59:50 (permalink)
    The cooks at my elementary and junior high schools were all mostly related, thus I had continuity of some tried and true recipes throughout those years. Our cooks were Goddesses of Institutional Gourmet. Our mashed potatoes were always from scratch, peaked in their perfection. Meatloaf and Salisbury Steaks brimming in spices and juices, salt-brined fried chicken and true Spaghetti Bolognese. Puffed domes of homemade buttermilk rolls, ciabatta and foccacia with frsh rosemary, olive oil, parmesean and neopolitan pizza that oozed hot cheese all over your plate. Homemade egg noodles and dumplings floated in stock and Tomato Soup was enhanced with tomato puree and butter. Cannollis, pizzelles and apple dumplings regularly appeared as well as blintzes, apple crisps, chocolate no-bakes and Missisippi Mud Cake. The Peanut Butter Cookies they produced have NEVER been equaled by anyone , anywhere. Their most important ingredient was love, though, for it was evident in every bite and in their actions. They knew each and every one of us.....sent home treats on our birthdays and the holidays, and they militantly refused to follow school board guidelines in their production of food. God Bless each and everyone of those grand ladies.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 20:22:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rmcielwain

Yep, the memories:

Tacos oozing full of grease
    Pizza overloaded with those anise seeds
    Mystery Meat sub sandwiches buried in sauce
    Chicken and Rice or Turkey and Dressing days" />

...and you know it might be a bad day when you walk in
    the cafeteria to get your lunch ticket and the first thing
    you see is a dead roach on the floor

Ha. I fondly remember "school" tacos & pizza. I especially remember the day we had pizza for the "main entree" and turnip greens as "the vegetable". Yum Yum...
    PammyJo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 20:37:27 (permalink)
    I must have a memmory block from school lunches. The only things I can remember are the chili days. Bowls of chili with spaghetti, served with crackers, a stick of cheese and peanut butter sandwiches. We then threw our cheese stick in the bowl along with a couple packs of crumbled crackers....mixed it well and dunked our peanut butter sandwiches into the mess. To this day....I must always have peanut butter sandwiches with my chili....and cut on the diagonal.

Another thing I fondly remember was these sweet crispy treats made with peanut butter and cornflakes. I always had to buy an extra one of those.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 21:33:44 (permalink)

Yes! Butter Crunchies
    we make them at home a lot!
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: I always hated school cafeteria food... 2004/11/20 21:54:36 (permalink)
    Chili days! In grade school/junior high, our chili days always included big gooey cinnamon rolls. Spaghetti days always included corn. And of course the pizza was square, and the sauce didn't seem to be much different than the spaghetti sauce.

In high school we had a choice of the day's special, or the salad bar and hamburger bar were there every day. I only ate lunchroom food when it was taco salad or taco burger day, otherwise it was usually a trip to 7-11 across the street for a chicken sandwich and mini jo-jos.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1