Gizzards and Dumplings

PammyJo
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
Gizzards and Dumplings - Sat, 11/20/04 8:03 PM
Instead of chicken and dumplings, have any of you ever had gizzards and dumplings? My Mom use to make this all the time when I was growing up....some 25 years ago. She stewed the gizzards (just like you would chicken) till they were nice and tender, and dropped homemade rolled dumplings into the rich broth. I haven't had this in many years, but for some reason, I'm craving them something bad. I bought a couple packs of gizzards (also has some hearts in it) last night and a bag of the Reames dumplings. I'm going to cook me up some and see if they're just as good as I remembered.

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Gizzards and Dumplings - Mon, 11/22/04 10:09 AM
I have not had this ... however it sounds interesting.

I love chicken gizzards, but have only had them rolled in flour and pan fried. So, since I love chicken and dumplings and I love gizzards, I might just try this combo ! Thanks !!

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Gizzards and Dumplings - Mon, 11/22/04 10:50 AM
We didn't have gizzards and dumplings, but we did have stewed gizzards
with a thickened white milk gravy and served over rice. I still to this once in a while. I usually add minced onion and salt, lots of pepper and a little garlic powder to my gizzards while they are stewing.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Gizzards and Dumplings - Mon, 11/22/04 11:08 AM
we too had fried gizzards often...yummy! one of the most memorable meals I ever had was on a friend's houseboat.. to go along with the gizzards we had fresh fried perch fillets we had caught that very day.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Gizzards and Dumplings - Sun, 12/5/04 4:47 AM
This variation from my family: Fried gizzards, fried in the leavings from the fried chicken, then some milk pan gravy made a bit thinner for the next step, which is tossing all that into a big bowl of buttered spaghetti pasta.