What kind of starter?

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Reward points : 0
What kind of starter? - Tue, 11/23/04 2:14 AM
Just had to have a cute intro. Does anyone buy a prepared soup starter package or do you prefer to start from scratch when making your homemmade soup?
I'm beginning to use more store bought starter mixes than I used to because of time but I think I would rather make from scratch when I can. Any opinions?

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
RE: What kind of starter? - Tue, 11/23/04 6:23 PM
With very few exceptions, all my soups start from scratch. I make stock out of anything and everything I can find. I currently have about three quarts of chicken stock, and two quarts each of veal, clam and lobster stock in my freezer.

I control the fat, I control the salt, I forget whatever it was I seasoned it with, so its always a crapshoot as what it tastes like when I thaw it, but that just adds to the fun.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: What kind of starter? - Tue, 11/23/04 6:32 PM
Normally from scratch here... But, I've used starters many a time, and have no real complaints other then the amount of salt they add...

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
RE: What kind of starter? - Tue, 11/23/04 8:22 PM
SCRATCH!!!!!!!!! If I happen to not have chicken broth on hand (QUELLE HORREUR!) I prefer to use the paste chicken base rather than canned chicken stock, it's too salty for me. I don't make demi-glace at home because I bring it from the restaurant (I'm gonna cook bones in my kitchen for 3 days? I don't THINK so!) Same goes for veal stock. But I did make several batches of halibut stock after successful fishing weekends last summer which will be turned into halibut chowder on our cold Alaskan days ahead!

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: What kind of starter? - Tue, 11/23/04 9:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

SCRATCH!!!!!!!!! If I happen to not have chicken broth on hand (QUELLE HORREUR!) I prefer to use the paste chicken base rather than canned chicken stock, it's too salty for me. I don't make demi-glace at home because I bring it from the restaurant (I'm gonna cook bones in my kitchen for 3 days? I don't THINK so!) Same goes for veal stock. But I did make several batches of halibut stock after successful fishing weekends last summer which will be turned into halibut chowder on our cold Alaskan days ahead!

In an ideal world, from "scratch" is the obvious choice. Given time and other constraints, however; may I suggest go with what tastes good to you and is of the less "hassle" to prepare. I wholeheartedly agree that you should use products with the least amout of NaCl, should you choose this route.

carlton pierre
RE: What kind of starter? - Tue, 11/23/04 10:08 PM
I had a fantastic tomato bisque kind of soup last week in Chattanooga. It was so good I want to try and make it myself. So I bought some canned tomato soup, thought I would add some tomato paste, and some cream, and perhaps some cooking wine. Whaddya think?

Also, I'm going to make a beef barley vegetable soup for T day and I have a starter kit for that.

Most other soups I make usually bypass the starter route.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
RE: What kind of starter? - Tue, 11/23/04 10:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I had a fantastic tomato bisque kind of soup last week in Chattanooga. It was so good I want to try and make it myself. So I bought some canned tomato soup, thought I would add some tomato paste, and some cream, and perhaps some cooking wine. Whaddya think?

Also, I'm going to make a beef barley vegetable soup for T day and I have a starter kit for that.

Most other soups I make usually bypass the starter route.

I'm scared by the canned tomato soup and the tomato paste and the cooking wine! Cream is noble. I would do this for tomato bisque: Go buy a can of REALLY expensive imported from Italy canned Roma(plum) tomatoes (as I am assuming that unless you live in Palm Springs or Miami, you don't have any more in your garden!). Take said tomatoes and put in Cuisinart and pulverize them (drain the tomatoes, but add the liquid to the soup!). In olive oil, saute a few garlic cloves chopped to smithereens and a half an onion, chopped the same way. DO NOT LET THEM BROWN! Just get them nice and soft and add the tomatoes and liquid. Simmer for about as long as it would take you to make a martini and drink it. NOW add your heavy cream and as much basil chiffonade as you desire. Bring to a boil and voila, you have just made one heck of a tomato bisque!!!!

carlton pierre
RE: What kind of starter? - Wed, 11/24/04 1:36 PM
Thank you so much, Lleechef. Obviously you've detected my naivete at fixing something of this sort. But, thanks for the tips and directions and I will be clear sailing, hopefully.

aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: What kind of starter? - Wed, 11/24/04 1:52 PM
We've always made from scratch - hubby makes some kick butt stock & soup. What we do use is a pre-packaged soup starter of fresh veggies: celery, carrot, leeks, turnip, parsnip, parsley, onion. We can get that all together packaged by our local produce store. I've used the bagged kind you can get in the supermarket, but I've found they are not as fresh. Then we add whatever vegetable is left in the fridge, and of course the animal carcass of choice

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4484
RE: What kind of starter? - Wed, 11/24/04 1:53 PM
Perhaps a bit off topic, but most lobster bisques I have tried seem to look and taste a bit like tomato soup. The texture and color is also usually much like tomato soup - red/orange with some thickness and very smooth.

Mind you -- I love lobster bisque, hands down my favorite soup -- so this isn't a complaint, but more me questioning if my experience is typical, and if this soup is typically made as I describe it here

halfday
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: What kind of starter? - Wed, 11/24/04 1:56 PM
I always make soup when I have enough time to make it from scratch. Which reminds me that this coming saturday will be the ideal day to make home made turkey noodle or rice soup. Happy Thansgiving everyone.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17837
RE: What kind of starter? - Wed, 11/24/04 2:01 PM
I don't make soup that often, but when I do I make it from scratch.

Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: What kind of starter? - Wed, 11/24/04 2:16 PM
I don’t make it often, but prefer from scratch when I do. I brought 5 turkeys to work for our party the other day. My friend calls me that night and I’m standing there adding a few veggies to my simmering carcasses. He’s was baffled as to what I was doing, I tell him I’m making soup stock, ohhh that’s where soup comes from? Rather than soup I simmered it way down and have this great congealed goop I’m going to make gravy with tomorrow as I will be smoking the birds.

I here some people slow cook the carcass and veggies all night in the oven. Maybe I read that on here somewhere.