Screamers

BW
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
Screamers - Wed, 11/24/04 3:36 AM
Here's a regional specialty (I think) that's a new one on me. At the Pottsville Maroons Sports Bar in Pottsville, Pa., one of the hamburger choices is a screamer, which the waiter definted as having hot sauce mixed in with the meat. I had one, and it was pretty good -- and pretty powerful.

The Coal Region Web site (www.coalregion.com) defines a screamer as a hamburger from Tony's Lunch in Girardville, not far from Pottsville, "that consists of a buttered roll, hamburger patty, hot sauce, and onions."

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Screamers - Wed, 11/24/04 5:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BW

Here's a regional specialty (I think) that's a new one on me. At the Pottsville Maroons Sports Bar in Pottsville, Pa., one of the hamburger choices is a screamer, which the waiter definted as having hot sauce mixed in with the meat. I had one, and it was pretty good -- and pretty powerful.

The Coal Region Web site (www.coalregion.com) defines a screamer as a hamburger from Tony's Lunch in Girardville, not far from Pottsville, "that consists of a buttered roll, hamburger patty, hot sauce, and onions."

I guess the first question that comes to mind is, is it named for how it goes in, or how it comes out?

remthewanderer
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Screamers - Tue, 12/28/04 10:54 PM
a little of column A and a little of column B.

I have had the pleasure of having many many screamers. I live in southern NJ but i have family up in the coal region of PA. I must say that these things are probably some of the best burgers i have ever eaten. i would not suggest eating them in the middle of a road trip but then again i have a terrible stomach

HPlatz
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Screamers - Thu, 08/2/07 11:22 PM
Glad that Tony's hit the board here.

Screamers are a legendary hamburger with Tony's hot sauce and onions with a buttered bun, just as described. They are hot, no question about it. They will burn ya twice. Certain days of the week are hotter than others. I imagine that Joe (current owner, not Tony) makes big batches of the stuff and if it sits around unsold it gets hotter. It is heated before application to the Screamer. The other Tony's staple is the Growler, which is a hot dog prepared in the same fashion. Tony's is also known to older locals as "Fudgies" which is a bastardization of Fulginiti (sp?), the original Tony.

The typical happy meal at Tony's is 2 Screamers chased by a Guers Iced Tea or a Chocolate Milk. The milk seems to cool the bite of the hot sauce a little better than the tea. The place is open from about 8:30 PM till about 2:30 or 3 AM. Despite the name Tony's Lunch, it is not open for lunch. It caters to the bar crowd and night owls. Not that there are many bars in Girardville anymore, but people come from all over creation for Screamers and with good reason. They are fantastic. If you don't like spicy food, get a burger however you like it with normal condiments. These burgers are hot, and I like hot stuff. The secret I believe is the butter on the bun. Not grilled, just spread on like your Mom used to do with your school lunch. The heat of the meat does the rest.

The sauce cannot be purchased to take home. The recipe is more secret than launch codes. Tony's is a great, great place. I haven't had one in years but I don't imagine much has changed.

Oh, and a few other things I thought of regarding Tony's...First off, I know nothing of the Maroons' Sports Bar having never been there. I know who the Maroons were, but I never heard of anybody using the Screamer moniker besides Tony's. Maybe someone affiliated with the Pottsville establishment knows Joe "Josie" S., the proprietor of Tony's and he is either selling them the sauce or allowing them to use the name. Maybe it's not a protected trademark, I have no idea, but there is one Screamer in my book, and it's in Girardville at Tony's Lunch. Also, if you like fries, you'll wait for them at Tony's. They cook every batch as they're ordered. No hot lights or re-heating. Your fries take a long time to make and they are the temperature of the flames of Gehenna upon arrival. They sell a lot of chips for the saltmongers because it's quicker. Speaking of quick, Tony's also offers the "Quick Cheese" which is a cheeseburger prepared with a cold slice of cheese just thrown onto the Screamer or other burger preparation. They ("Bernie" the sweet lady cook) will also grill you a regular cooked cheeseburger but you gotta wait. People with a good belly full of Yuengling don't want to devote that kind of time to the Tony's experience, by and large.

I am not putting the knock on this Pottsville place, as I said I was never there and Pottsville has the Coney Island, an institution of its own...just saying. Screamers do not live in Pottsville.

Obviously
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Screamers - Sat, 06/28/08 7:19 PM
Though I'm in total agreement that the true screamer only belongs to Tony's lunch, other joints have taken the screamer moniker for their own hot-burgers. Another spot is Shicky's Wings and Things in Mount Carmel Pennsylvania.

I don't think it's a bad thing, as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It also opens the door for those uninitiated in Coal Region cuisine to be introduced to Tony's. Unfortunately that'll mean a longer line, as if it isn't bad enough already .