Isaac Gellis

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
  • Reward points : 0
Isaac Gellis - Tue, 12/7/04 3:30 PM
I'm planning to open a hot dog stand in the spring in southern Westchester. My favorite dogs of all time were the Isaac Gellis brand, but I can't find them anywhere, let alone wholesale. Can anyone help me out? Thanks much.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 12/7/04 4:10 PM
Check with Katz's Delicatessen on East Houston Street. They serve Isaac Gellis hot dogs

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 12/7/04 4:15 PM
Try www.larryklinemeats.com Under products; product list text format; go to class: franks kosher product #20210 (4/1) 10" Shofar Franks 10# Case of Isaac Gellis. These dogs are 4 to a pound and 10" long.

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 12/7/04 7:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Check with Katz's Delicatessen on East Houston Street. They serve Isaac Gellis hot dogs

Michael,
Katz's serves Sabrett natural casing beef hot dogs. I've been told this by numerous people including a Katz's employee, 2 Sabrett distributors, and the person in charge of private label at Marathon Enterprises (Sabrett).

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Isaac Gellis - Wed, 12/8/04 12:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Michael,
Katz's serves Sabrett natural casing beef hot dogs. I've been told this by numerous people including a Katz's employee, 2 Sabrett distributors, and the person in charge of private label at Marathon Enterprises (Sabrett).

That's interesting. The following is from a review of the place. I fouond it via Google.

"On the right or east wall, lies a long counter. Food is served cafeteria style. You go up to a station and pick out the items you want. The food is excellent for deli fare. The hot dogs are Isaac Gellis brand (wonderful) and the roast beef, for instance, is done to perfection. The portions are huge (sandwiches are piled three inches thick), though pricey. Roast beef on rye goes $9.35 and the same on a hero goes $11.50."

However, I'll take you word on this subject any day. .

John Fox
RE: Isaac Gellis - Wed, 12/8/04 6:30 PM
I've read the same review as well as another one that claims Katz's uses Hebrew National. Both wrong. I've gone into this subject in detail somewhere on these forums. The person in charge of private label at Sabrett even gave me the case# or serial#. It is the same for Gray's Papaya and Papaya King because the dogs are the exact same. The dogs at Katz's are slightly larger, but the exact same recipe Sabrett's.

harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1086
RE: Isaac Gellis - Sat, 12/11/04 1:03 PM
Oh my gosh I haven't seen that name in at least a dozen years! My mom used to always buy those! Imagine the name Isaac Gellis literally bringing a mist to my eyes. Isn't it strange/nice how you associate brand names with wonderful memories?

John Fox
RE: Isaac Gellis - Sun, 01/23/05 7:02 AM
I spoke to a deli owner recently who was forced to switch hot dog brands from Hebrew National to Empire Kosher due to the shortage of Hebrew National products. This is because they moved production to another plant. I prefer Empire National myself. I asked about Issac Gellis and was told that they have been out of business for awhile now. I could have sworn that I saw them at a supermarket once a couple of years ago. Should've bought them then.

randigellis
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Isaac Gellis - Mon, 09/24/07 3:39 AM
thanks for all the positive remarks - isaac gellis was my greatgrandfather!

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Isaac Gellis - Mon, 09/24/07 8:11 AM
In such case, Mr. Gellis, could you give us a little history about the company...anything you think might interest the Roadfood community? Thanks,
The Bear

HiHat
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 09/25/07 12:07 AM
These were my favorite Kosher Dog bar none! I have been looking for them for two years and was told they were no longer being distributed.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 09/25/07 12:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by harriet1954

Oh my gosh I haven't seen that name in at least a dozen years! My mom used to always buy those! Imagine the name Isaac Gellis literally bringing a mist to my eyes. Isn't it strange/nice how you associate brand names with wonderful memories?

You said it before I had a chance to say the same thing!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 09/25/07 12:16 AM
This has turned out to be a most interesting thread. I am sure we are all anxious to find out just, what is what.

randigellis
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 09/25/07 4:29 AM
hi all:)
isaac gellis was actually my great-great grandfather. I will ask my family about the history this week and post so you all are in the loop.
Quick note about me:
My family loves food.. When we are on vacation, the days are planned around the dinner reservations.
My name is randi gellis (32yrs - female) / my Dad: Harry -(mid 60's) my grandfather: isaac gellis-he passed away when I was in middle school (he was a sports editor for the new york post for many years)
I don't want to post anything that is not 100% true so I will end this post and get back once I have talked with my dad and aunt's. Thanks again - it is a great feeling knowing that so many peole liked the hot dogs. All the best, randi

zussers
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: Isaac Gellis - Tue, 09/25/07 6:41 AM
Thanks for your time and efforts Randi!

aribo
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Isaac Gellis - Wed, 09/26/07 9:24 AM
These were my favorite hot dogs growing up.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Isaac Gellis - Fri, 09/28/07 11:45 AM
I remember that the Isaac Gellis products just disappeared from the local scene somewhere in the mid-90's. Mogen David meat products (not the same company as the wine company) also vanished about the same time. You never knew if the supermarket got slotting fees for a new product line, or if the manufacturer packed it in.

Those were really good product lines, however.

rloonin
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Isaac Gellis - Fri, 07/24/09 3:46 PM
randigellis

hi all:)
isaac gellis was actually my great-great grandfather. I will ask my family about the history this week and post so you all are in the loop.
Quick note about me:
My family loves food.. When we are on vacation, the days are planned around the dinner reservations.
My name is randi gellis (32yrs - female) / my Dad: Harry -(mid 60's) my grandfather: isaac gellis-he passed away when I was in middle school (he was a sports editor for the new york post for many years)
I don't want to post anything that is not 100% true so I will end this post and get back once I have talked with my dad and aunt's. Thanks again - it is a great feeling knowing that so many peole liked the hot dogs. All the best, randi

Randi - Just found this site. My father was a friend of your grand father and I also believe your uncle Willie (if I am correct). My dad did business with your grand fasther and uncle(s) and sold them a lot of their shipping supplies. I think they also grew up together in New York. I visited the Store and Factory with my dad many times when I was in my early teens and got to see the manufacturing process. We of course always took home ample supplies of Hot Dogs and the stupendous Salami, Bologna and other great items they made. The place was just doen the street from Hollanders Pickles. Going there was always a fantastic treat. I used to buy the hotdogs in bulk for many organization functions until they either sold or closed the business. It would sure be nice to know hwo owns the brand name and the receipes so perhaps we could cajole them to somehow rejuvinate the name. If we could somehow get the product to be certified as Glatt, I am confident that a major impact could be made to gahter a substantial market share. If you can find this out can you post a reply and or email me if that is possible. You can use pptltd@sbcglobal.net to reach me.  Thanks  Bob L.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Isaac Gellis - Fri, 07/24/09 5:14 PM
rloonin:

Randi never did return. I did learn in the interim that Mogen David owned the Isaac Gellis name, which may explain why they both disappeared about the same time. The trademark is now owned by ConAgra, owners of Hebrew
National.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9544
RE: Isaac Gellis - Sat, 07/25/09 6:11 PM
I wonder who has the recipes? Sounds like the makings for a good mystery book, ala "The DiVinci Code"!

avk2
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Isaac Gellis - Sun, 07/21/13 2:11 AM
Wondered why all those brands disappeared almost at once...from : December 19, 1995 NYT

Conagra Inc.'s National Foods division said yesterday that it had acquired the trademarks of the Mogen David Kosher Meat Products Corporation, including Mogen David, American Kosher, Isaac Gellis, Judea and Zion. Conagra is based in Omaha. Mogen David distributes kosher products, including cured meats and sausage products, in the three-state New York metropolitan region and Florida. The company said this acquisition reflected Conagra's growing interest in the kosher-meat market. The newly acquired brands are to be marketed by National Foods, which reports to the Armour Swift Eckrich division of Conagra. Three years ago, Conagra bought National Foods, which makes Hebrew National kosher meat products..