green sauces and salsas+chile verde

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Post
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
2003/05/07 13:50:13
how far does the green belt extend? I never even dreamed of such
wonderful tastes until I lived in Arizona. Now that I live in southern Oregon
I have a wide variety of salsas at my fingers (and Chips), when we hit our favorite mexican haunts.
We have a fairly significant hispanic population here and I wondered what it's like in your part of the country. I've found if you ask the proprietor, they usually make sauces that aren't normally served to "gringos". At Si Casa Flores, here in the rogue valley you can end up with 5 different salsas, but if you don't ask, you'll get just 2. The green,Very hot), which seems to be tomatillos and jalapenos, is my favorite and that's why I'm putting the ? out there. Do you have green sauces, chile verde, and green salsas? Maybe I should ask how far the tomatilllo belt extends?
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 14:25:05
Until I sarted to visit my sister in Texas I didn't know there could be more than 1 type of salsa on the table. You still can't find more than 1 type here in B'more (sigh). I remmember asking at one local place (their house salsa was very mild) for something a little hotter. The waitress asked what I meant hotter, theirs was real hot she said, she offered to bring me tobasco sauce to add to what they had!!
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 14:47:16
Here in the verdant San Joaquin Valley of California, we have a huge Mexican population, therefore, a plethora of places that have "salsa bars".. between 5 and 10 different kinds of salsa...and last week at work, we had 2 separate salsa contests....so salsa is a way of life here.. I love the green stuff myself.. the flavor is awesome.. but I must guiltily admit to buying La Victoria Salsa Suprema in a jar..I just can't make it myself.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 14:48:59
I feel your pain! we get a red sauce, a salsa cruda, a hotter red sauce, a green sauce, and a coarse sort of green salsa cruda. Do you have chile verde back there? Pork cooked long and slow in a fantastic green sauce, usually served over or beside rice. W/ flour tortillas to wrap it up in, I must add. now that I think about it, I didn't grow up with flour tortillas either. Maybe the 2 enjoy a symbiotic relationship.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 14:52:51
I have found the same experience here in the far western edge of the Chicago suburbs, many Mexican owned places have a seperate salsa that they serve if asked for something hotter, but we have a fairly long established Mexican population (well, I should say Hispanic because we have a good mix of the Americas)and the population expects more than Taco Bell or Pepe's. Each place makes their salsa according to the region they are from, some more smoky tasting while some are rich in cilantro and garlic. I'm a frequent traveler to SantaFe, NM and am really spoiled by the flavors there where the chile is locally grown.
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 15:00:42
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

I feel your pain! we get a red sauce, a salsa cruda, a hotter red sauce, a green sauce, and a coarse sort of green salsa cruda. Do you have chile verde back there? Pork cooked long and slow in a fantastic green sauce, usually served over or beside rice. W/ flour tortillas to wrap it up in, I must add. now that I think about it, I didn't grow up with flour tortillas either. Maybe the 2 enjoy a symbiotic relationship.


Dunno who you were referring to, but I'll put in my two cents and finally make cheeseburger at the same time! Chile verde here is as common as beef stew (and twice as good).. Our fave is chile verde kitchen sink nachos from Mario's. Chile verde, salsa, cheese, sour cream, special hot sauce all on a large helping of fresh made tortilla chips..YUM! As far as tortillas go, the Mexicans (rather than Hispanic which encompasses it all, we are primarily a Mexican population) prefer corn tortillas with their meals, whereas us Gringos like flour.. I buy them by the 30 pack and we eat them with everything we can possibly wrap up in them, from peanut butter to bbq beef.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 15:33:21
I'm honored to be your cheeseburger, W/ everything, I hope. I was responding to ocdreamr-hadn't expected such a response, but I have to say after living in KC, Phoenix, and now southern oregon, I'm so much more aware of differences in mexican and hispanic cooking
as it relates to immigration patterns. When I was growing up in KC I thought there was one kind of mexican food. Now I realize it's because the population there all came from one mexican state. Your neck of the woods has GREAT south of the border food, by the way. I just feel bad for all the lost souls stuck in TacoBellHell, and wish they could experience the wide variety and tastes of mexican(and Hispanic) cuisine. We have a place here that's a mixture of guatamalan and mexican cooking, for instance. I think the flour vs. corn thing is more significant than I ever realized also.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 16:43:07
Baltimore is starting to get a larger Hispanic population, therefore if you are willing to hunt you can find some goodies. I do know of 2 places that offer Chili verde made with pork. It's funny when I talk to some of my friends & mention eating something Mexican made with pork, they frequently express surprise that pork would be used! I quickly educate them. I just learned that there is a tortillaria (SP?) in town in the Hispanic area above Fells Point. I gotta get there soon. The word is that their cormeal tortillas are to die for. When you realise that most people in Maryland consider Chi Chi's the ultimate Mexican eatery you know what I'm up against.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/07 16:53:22
report back! my sister lives in Va. and would love to know of authentic places to go. Going for mexican food is one of the first things she does when she comes to oregon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/27 16:25:16
Folks,

I remember from my youth the Mexican restaurant 'gringo' shuffle: "Is green hotter than red - or milder? I forget." And that question STILL seems to get posed far too often in a place that should fundamentally understand that it all depends on the ingredients. If you don't know your chiles (and even if you do - the naming conventions have gotten pretty sloppy because of lapses of attention, memory, mental discipline, whatever...), you have to sample. "What if it's too hot?" Always sample as if it will be. Those of us who have been eating this stuff since infancy still sample [unless we really already know] before diving in. I long ago gave up trying to get people to just taste, rather tha play '20 Questions' to determine whether their tastebuds might be at risk for permanent damage. I now encourage those folks to eat something besides Mexican, lest a stray pepper injure their digestive tract.

Even within my own family, there's a tremendous breadth of variation in how we prepare our salsas - my mom cooked all her salsas, my sister does it all in a blender, and I like to blacken my chiles [fresh serranos, typically] and tomatoes before I chop up my salsa fresca. We all like tomatillos, but almost never make salsa featuring them - consequently, our family gatherings can feature 100% red salsas. (Unless I make my yellow salsa [yellow tomatoes, pineapple and/or mango, serranos, lime juice, easy on the cilantro] for some nice grilled fish.)
Buena suerte,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. The usage of "Hispanic" in this forum (and elsewhere in the universe) warrants some attention here. Except in reference to things or people from Spain - or of, or under, Spanish influence - "Hispanic" isn't properly used to describe all peoples from - or with origins in - Latin America. Many, but not all, speak [or come from traditions of speaking] Spanish. The preferred term for this group, at least in the communities that I've encountered in my limited travels, is "Latino." The term is used for broad-community references, not for narrow-community reference. In the same way that "European cuisine" would lump 'Wiener Schnitzel' with 'bangers & mash,' "Latino cuisine" would lump 'tacos de pescado' with a 'Cuban sandwich.' For the purpose of this forum, 'Mexican' (and other nationalist references) is exactly what's called for. Where things get especially confusing - and why "Hispanic" muddies the water - is that there are foods mentioned here that are pre-Hispanic (or 'pre-Columbian,' if you prefer), like corn tortillas. (Other pre-Hispanic offerings would include tomatoes & chocolate.) Many folks that you might find in California & elsewhere in the Americas today were never vanquished by the Spanish - only recently, in the time of agricultural collapse in their communities of origin, have they even learned a little Spanish [& more recently, English] to get by economically. Latinos understand & [mostly] accept "Latino" - Latinos understand & [often] resent "Hispanic." While not exactly derogatory, it does push our buttons. Think how you would feel if you were called 'English' for the fact that you spoke English, rather than be called 'American.' In some places, 'Hispanic' is used as code for Latinos who have 'pure' European/Spanish blood - so if you think you can tell them apart by looking, they are most definitely NOT 'Hispanic'....
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/27 17:29:45
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba

Folks,

I remember from my youth the Mexican restaurant 'gringo' shuffle: "Is green hotter than red - or milder? I forget." And that question STILL seems to get posed far too often in a place that should fundamentally understand that it all depends on the ingredients. If you don't know your chiles (and even if you do - the naming conventions have gotten pretty sloppy because of lapses of attention, memory, mental discipline, whatever...), you have to sample. "What if it's too hot?" Always sample as if it will be. Those of us who have been eating this stuff since infancy still sample [unless we really already know] before diving in. I long ago gave up trying to get people to just taste, rather tha play '20 Questions' to determine whether their tastebuds might be at risk for permanent damage. I now encourage those folks to eat something besides Mexican, lest a stray pepper injure their digestive tract.

Even within my own family, there's a tremendous breadth of variation in how we prepare our salsas - my mom cooked all her salsas, my sister does it all in a blender, and I like to blacken my chiles [fresh serranos, typically] and tomatoes before I chop up my salsa fresca. We all like tomatillos, but almost never make salsa featuring them - consequently, our family gatherings can feature 100% red salsas. (Unless I make my yellow salsa [yellow tomatoes, pineapple and/or mango, serranos, lime juice, easy on the cilantro] for some nice grilled fish.)
Buena suerte,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. The usage of "Hispanic" in this forum (and elsewhere in the universe) warrants some attention here. Except in reference to things or people from Spain - or of, or under, Spanish influence - "Hispanic" isn't properly used to describe all peoples from - or with origins in - Latin America. Many, but not all, speak [or come from traditions of speaking] Spanish. The preferred term for this group, at least in the communities that I've encountered in my limited travels, is "Latino." The term is used for broad-community references, not for narrow-community reference. In the same way that "European cuisine" would lump 'Wiener Schnitzel' with 'bangers & mash,' "Latino cuisine" would lump 'tacos de pescado' with a 'Cuban sandwich.' For the purpose of this forum, 'Mexican' (and other nationalist references) is exactly what's called for. Where things get especially confusing - and why "Hispanic" muddies the water - is that there are foods mentioned here that are pre-Hispanic (or 'pre-Columbian,' if you prefer), like corn tortillas. (Other pre-Hispanic offerings would include tomatoes & chocolate.) Many folks that you might find in California & elsewhere in the Americas today were never vanquished by the Spanish - only recently, in the time of agricultural collapse in their communities of origin, have they even learned a little Spanish [& more recently, English] to get by economically. Latinos understand & [mostly] accept "Latino" - Latinos understand & [often] resent "Hispanic." While not exactly derogatory, it does push our buttons. Think how you would feel if you were called 'English' for the fact that you spoke English, rather than be called 'American.' In some places, 'Hispanic' is used as code for Latinos who have 'pure' European/Spanish blood - so if you think you can tell them apart by looking, they are most definitely NOT 'Hispanic'....


I find that rather amusing because the Mexican political groups here in Cali were the ones to demand the use of the term "Hispanic", and only the barrio dwellers were using "Latino" at one time..dunno how it is up north where you are Richard, but that's the climate here in the central valley.
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/05/27 18:52:08
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba

Folks,

I remember from my youth the Mexican restaurant 'gringo' shuffle: "Is green hotter than red - or milder? I forget." And that question STILL seems to get posed far too often in a place that should fundamentally understand that it all depends on the ingredients. If you don't know your chiles (and even if you do - the naming conventions have gotten pretty sloppy because of lapses of attention, memory, mental discipline, whatever...), you have to sample. "What if it's too hot?" Always sample as if it will be. Those of us who have been eating this stuff since infancy still sample [unless we really already know] before diving in. I long ago gave up trying to get people to just taste, rather tha play '20 Questions' to determine whether their tastebuds might be at risk for permanent damage. I now encourage those folks to eat something besides Mexican, lest a stray pepper injure their digestive tract.

Even within my own family, there's a tremendous breadth of variation in how we prepare our salsas - my mom cooked all her salsas, my sister does it all in a blender, and I like to blacken my chiles [fresh serranos, typically] and tomatoes before I chop up my salsa fresca. We all like tomatillos, but almost never make salsa featuring them - consequently, our family gatherings can feature 100% red salsas. (Unless I make my yellow salsa [yellow tomatoes, pineapple and/or mango, serranos, lime juice, easy on the cilantro] for some nice grilled fish.)
Buena suerte,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. The usage of "Hispanic" in this forum (and elsewhere in the universe) warrants some attention here. Except in reference to things or people from Spain - or of, or under, Spanish influence - "Hispanic" isn't properly used to describe all peoples from - or with origins in - Latin America. Many, but not all, speak [or come from traditions of speaking] Spanish. The preferred term for this group, at least in the communities that I've encountered in my limited travels, is "Latino." The term is used for broad-community references, not for narrow-community reference. In the same way that "European cuisine" would lump 'Wiener Schnitzel' with 'bangers & mash,' "Latino cuisine" would lump 'tacos de pescado' with a 'Cuban sandwich.' For the purpose of this forum, 'Mexican' (and other nationalist references) is exactly what's called for. Where things get especially confusing - and why "Hispanic" muddies the water - is that there are foods mentioned here that are pre-Hispanic (or 'pre-Columbian,' if you prefer), like corn tortillas. (Other pre-Hispanic offerings would include tomatoes & chocolate.) Many folks that you might find in California & elsewhere in the Americas today were never vanquished by the Spanish - only recently, in the time of agricultural collapse in their communities of origin, have they even learned a little Spanish [& more recently, English] to get by economically. Latinos understand & [mostly] accept "Latino" - Latinos understand & [often] resent "Hispanic." While not exactly derogatory, it does push our buttons. Think how you would feel if you were called 'English' for the fact that you spoke English, rather than be called 'American.' In some places, 'Hispanic' is used as code for Latinos who have 'pure' European/Spanish blood - so if you think you can tell them apart by looking, they are most definitely NOT 'Hispanic'....


I find that rather amusing because the Mexican political groups here in Cali were the ones to demand the use of the term "Hispanic", and only the barrio dwellers were using "Latino" at one time..dunno how it is up north where you are Richard, but that's the climate here in the central valley.


Neighbor Jen,

The valley seems to be a real piece of work - I'd guess that the preference out there for "Hispanic" has to do with political ideology more than anything else. Other than the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (& the US Census bureau), I can't think of any groups on the coast, or anywhere else in California, that use "Hispanic." It would certainly be in keeping with maintaining some sort of superiority/supremacy - like making themselves into bluebloods (or "coconuts" as we might have said in my youth).
Ever vigilant,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA
jdg68
Junior Burger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/06/09 00:19:41
Tomatillos are quite easy to grow and often seed themselves from the previous year. I've had decent success making cooked sauces from tomatillos and green chiles (usually serranos) though the store-bought stuff is pretty good.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/05 09:17:12
First let me say that in my part of the country you can tell when spring comes by the frogs that sing in the early evening, they are known locally as "spring peepers"

On this past Sunday I went to a new Mexican restaurant near me, my second visit. While reading the menu I saw they had Chile Verde listed as a house special. It was listed as chunks of pork w/chile verde (peepers & tomatoes). All I could do was laugh, I had visions of all the liitle green frogs it took to make that verde!

Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/05 09:35:54
Yay, I'm cheesy now! jdg68, I am going to try to grow my own tomatillos, thanks!
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/05 11:44:26
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Do you have chile verde back there? Pork cooked long and slow in a fantastic green sauce, usually served over or beside rice. W/ flour tortillas to wrap it up in.

We recently had a Mexican restaurant open in Cortland N.Y. that is not half bad, having lived in Chicago I have a pretty base to compare to. One thing they do very well is the chile verde, I agree its a great dish.

I can also finally get tomatillas at the grocery store to make my own salsa verde.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/09 03:59:41
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

report back! my sister lives in Va. and would love to know of authentic places to go. Going for mexican food is one of the first things she does when she comes to oregon


Bill, I really like this place. It is owned by Mexicans for Mexicans. It would help if she/they spoke some spanish. This in not your normal gringo-fied mexican restaraunt. I don't know if they even serve beans and rice.

Taqueria Tres Reyes #2. It is at 5403 Kenilworth Ave. I don't know which city this is, they all sorta run together here. It is in Prince George's County Md. though.

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/09 04:10:24
Not being able to get the proper ingredients year round for fresh salsa (red) here in WVa I have come to rely on Chi-Chi's medium bought from Costco in a big jug. Not bad for a commercial salsa. BUT, this last week I found a Costco Deli item of fresh salsa that is really good. Unfortunately I can't remember the name right now. I'll to remember and post it tomorrow night.

Anyways, this commercial product is sold by the quart in the deli cold case area of our local Costco and it contains lots of tomato chunks, chopped fresh garlic, cilantro, jalapenos, fresh onion and I don't know what all else. A really good salsa, like I would make for us at home. It has a nice bite to it too.

Got to get the name for you guys...

Mike

And the name is: Senor Felix's Pico de Gallo Salsa
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/09 04:13:05
I have always preferred red salsas. I like mine chunky and basic. Tomatoes, jalapenos, chopped onion, minced garlic, some cilantro and a couple big squeezes of lime or lemon, prefer lime.

Tha hardest part about leaving Calif 5 years ago has been the dearth of Mexican food.

MikeS.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/09 13:22:45
I was a big red sauce lover until about 6 months ago. My favorite Mexican restaurant here has a killer green sauce and now I'm a convert. The point is well taken--------who knows (or cares) which is hotter. I like the combination of flavors in the green sauce. I know what I'm having for lunch today!
chilidawgguy
Junior Burger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/08/14 14:08:14
Originally posted by bill voss

report back! my sister lives in Va. and would love to know of authentic places to go. Going for mexican food is one of the first things she does when she comes to oregon[/El Ranchero on Wilson Blvd. in the Balston section of Arlington consistantly wins the 'Best Mexican' award in the Washingtonian magazine. Their food is fresh and they use a variety of sauces and salsas. My favorite is anything with the salsa verde on it. Ole'! quote]
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/02 16:59:44
There is a co-worker of mine whose wife makes the mostincredible salsa. (They're both of Dominican heritage)

One Christmas they invited me to a soiree at their pad, and among the many amazing munchies (and alcohol thingies) laid out on the table were chips and this great salsa - homemade, with care, and unlike anything you can get in a jar in the store.

As a parting gift, the Mrs handed me a mason-jar filled with the salsa (apparently they have several backups). Now, for two years, I've been trying to get my pal to get the recipe from his wife. I'm still trying! But he keeps 'forgetting'. If I nag really well, at best I'll receive a jar for the holidays, and I guess I will deconstruct the salsa to get the ingredients - and of course, I will share the bootlegged recipe with you.

I think what was a hallmark of this salsa was that she uses cracked black peppercorn in place of jalapenos. This still results in a very hot salsa, the way it should be.

Wish me luck in begging/borrowing/stealing the recipe!
dendan
Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/02 17:08:05
Kristi - we have the margaritas ready...get the recipe...
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/02 17:28:52
quote:
Originally posted by chilidawgguy

Originally posted by bill voss

report back! my sister lives in Va. and would love to know of authentic places to go. Going for mexican food is one of the first things she does when she comes to oregon[/El Ranchero on Wilson Blvd. in the Balston section of Arlington consistantly wins the 'Best Mexican' award in the Washingtonian magazine. Their food is fresh and they use a variety of sauces and salsas. My favorite is anything with the salsa verde on it. Ole'! quote]


Three other places for good Mexican food in the Northern Va./D.C. area: Rio Grande Cafe, which has a couple of Va. locations, Mixtec in D.C. (try the "tortas," or Mexican hoagies) and Andale in D.C. All inexpensive and very good.
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/07 09:25:15
quote:
Originally posted by dendan

Kristi - we have the margaritas ready...get the recipe...

Dendan, good news! My friend Jose brought me a jar of the salsa the other day. I will now proceed to investigate what goes into this stuff. I will keep you posted!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/07 11:15:29
In the first part of this thread, there's a great discussion on what
Mexican/Hispanic/Latino means. This seems to illustrate what Richard was talking about. Kristi S, I'm real interested to see what goes in a Dominican salsa. Black Pepper is something I've never seen in recipes. Sounds great! Now I'm wondering what the tomatillo"s range is. What's used for the green base? What do they traditionally
use this salsa with/on? Cooked or raw?
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/09 11:07:03
Stokes Green Chile Sauce with Pork.

My brother-in-law put us onto this. It is a very useful cooking ingredient. Unfortunately we can't get it here in Florida and have to have it shipped in.

Any comments from the experts? Maybe a recipe so we could make our own?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/09 13:01:43
I'm not sure if you are asking about chile verde when you say "green base"? Tomatillos are green and are boiled down with jalapenos to make chile verde sauce. This is usually cooked with pork. You can also put boiled tomatillos in the blender with alot of jalapenos and serve as a cold salsa on tacos or with chips.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/09 13:34:55
hello Elsie,
I was talking about Kristi S' soon to be dissected salsa or sauce.She's in Florida and her friends are Dominican so in one way it'll be an answer to the original question I ventured. It seems green sauce is making it from coast to coast. What you are describing is what I learned to make in Arizona, but I was imagining more carribean influence in Kristi's version. I also couldn't tell if it was cooked or not. We'll see.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2003/12/09 14:05:40
Thanks, I got kind of lost.
paoconnell
Hamburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2004/05/07 00:00:00
In New Mexico, "green chile" is literally made of roasted, chopped green chile with spices, garlic and onion, maybe a little chicken, vegetable, or pork stock. Add chunks of pork or other meat (beef, chicken and lamb are good too) and potatoes and maybe tomato, and you have green chile stew. Very simple; we make it at home because the local Wal Mart grocer carries frozen chopped green chile.

NewMex food doesn't use tomatillos at all, except in fusion food in Santa Fe restaurants.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2004/06/09 01:34:19
Where I was raised in So Cali, the predominant salsa is a VERY fresh Pico de Gallo. About the only variation on the basic menu is the choice of chile pepper: Serrano, jalapeno, or none.
Note: Authentic traditional salsa (or chile as we refer to it) is supposed to be a "that day" fresh item, as it doesn't age well. Vinegar, which adulterates the wonderful fresh flavors of the ingredients, is added for its preservative effect, and hence is found in many of the "off the shelf" adulterations called salsa. If all you know is gringo vinegar salsa, or the chunky ketchup some Mexican joints pass off as salsa, you are denying yourself a wonderful taste experience if you don't mix up a batch of fresh chile like the following:

4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 pound)
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 bunch or so, fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
4 fresh serranos, seeded, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt to taste (don't omit)
Kent Daniels
Junior Burger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2004/07/21 22:14:14
We've got tomatillos that grow like weeds in the garden -- don't have to plant them year to year. I make up jars of this stuff every summer for my family -- they hardly eat the red sauce anymore.

Tomatillo salsa

1 1/2 lbs. tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1/4 c. diced onion
1-2 cloves chopped garlic
4 oz. canned chopped green chilis
2-3 green onions, chopped
1 habanero pepper
1 seeded jalapeno pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

cut tomatillos in half and put in saucepan with water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and let simmer 2-3 minutes, until soft. Drain and cool tomatillos. Put everything in blender or food processor and process to desired texture. Refrigerate. Eat.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2004/07/22 04:32:51
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba

Neighbor Jen,

The valley seems to be a real piece of work - I'd guess that the preference out there for "Hispanic" has to do with political ideology more than anything else. Other than the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (& the US Census bureau), I can't think of any groups on the coast, or anywhere else in California, that use "Hispanic." It would certainly be in keeping with maintaining some sort of superiority/supremacy - like making themselves into bluebloods (or "coconuts" as we might have said in my youth).
Ever vigilant,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA



Neighbor Richard:

As a recent stockholder in Hispanic Broadcasting Corporation, owner of the largest chain of Spanish-language radio stations in the US and now merged into Univision, largest Spanish-language TV network (Channel 14 in the Bay Area), I have to differ. HBC was founded and managed by persons of latin descent (Mexican-American I think, but I'm not sure of that any longer) and, presumeably, they chose the name. And their market isn't "blue-bloods" I assure you. It's more typically documented and undocumented service workers in Fresno, LA and Miami.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2004/07/22 04:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

I'm not sure if you are asking about chile verde when you say "green base"? Tomatillos are green and are boiled down with jalapenos to make chile verde sauce. This is usually cooked with pork. You can also put boiled tomatillos in the blender with alot of jalapenos and serve as a cold salsa on tacos or with chips.


My favorite green salsa (different from chile verde) had lots of cilantro in it which was the predominant flavor.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2004/07/29 16:50:13
One of the best Chile Verde's I have tasted was in Vacaville California at a place called Murillos, plus red and green homemade salsa. The chile Verde tasted like it was homemade and cooked just to the right texture, with the right spices...

Here in the Mission district of San Francisco there are many good plates of Chile Verde. I am trying them one plate at a time.

BT what is you favorite place in San Francisco for Chile Verde?
tdeneek
Junior Burger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2004/08/01 22:41:25
We planted a whole bunch of tomatillo plants last summer and when they started to ripen we realized we had no idea what to do with them. (anyone else ever plant anything just for fun?) Anyway, we found a really simple salsa recipe and with a few moderations, WOW was it good. We took chips and salsa to every bbq we went to. We also sold a ton of them at our farmers market, we have a fairly large mexican population up here, and they really like buying fresh tomatillos.

I also at one time worked in a Mexican resturaunt and our head chefs loved to make up new salsas all the time. At one time we had 6-8 different salsas of differing degrees of heat and flavor. I loved it. I am such a salsa lover!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2005/01/20 17:34:58
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/19/FDGHNAPPPR1.DTL
This was such a neat article about passing on one's culinary heritage I thought you all would enjoy it.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2005/09/06 18:12:09
I'm growing Tomatillos for the first time this summer and they are prolific, threatening to eclipse the rest of the garden. I wonder if any of you have experience with them. Do I wait till a freeze, letting them go to the max? Right now, (Sept. 6)the husks are large, the fruits inside small. Wait?
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2006/11/25 09:50:21

ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2006/11/25 10:08:06
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2006/11/25 16:23:02
I make a salsa verde that's similar to Kent's recipe. A few differences are I don't use canned green chile. I roast fresh green chile's(makes a huge difference). I also throw in a T of cumin and sometimes roast a couple red tomatoes and throw them in for added flavor and color. I puree everything with a handheld blender and THEN throw the cilatro in last. I never puree the cilantro.
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2007/10/22 11:41:54
You can get green chilis and green tomatillos around here.Have seen Stokes Green Chili with Pork at Walmart here,but don't recall if I saw it at H.E.B.People around here say Hispanic,latino or chicano,depending on you talk too.
At Taco Cabana,a local chain(well,now they are other places)
they have a salsa bar of fresh salsas,with green ,red,roasted(salsa de fuego) pico de gallo,etc.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2007/10/23 10:45:44
Holly, what's your favorite thing to have w/ the green salsa at Taco Cabana?
Joe
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2007/10/23 14:49:05
Hi,
In new Jersey ,near the shore, try one of the chain "Surf Taco". They make 4 kinds of salsa daily, both green and red. Their food is fresh and top notch..and plentiful. Nice atmosphere..surfing videos and all.
Also, we like Chevy's Fresh Tex-Mex. Their salsa is the brown kind I remember having in Arizona. Nice snap of garlic too.
leethebard
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/02/18 14:46:26
An old thread but a good one that I thought worth digging up.

Mexican green salsa and chile verde are two way different things. The verde is from New mexico I think? I love good versions of both. I have also had mild and hot versions of both.

Any suggs on the best store bought brands of these two sauces?

And Holly, about Taco Cabana?
Joe
jimcor
Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/02/20 09:55:41
Wal*Mart's Neighborhood Market just opened near me, they sell a 36 ounce bottle of thick, pourable Salsa Casera Verde by LaSabrozita, for $2.68. Tomatillos and Jalapenos. Not bad... certainly can't complain about the price.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/02/20 11:41:16
Thanks Jim! I'll look for that. There is a brand of Salsa Verde I like but I am out and can't remember what it is. It comes in a bottle also.

I do not know of a Mexcan Green Sauce, sold in stores, that I like.
joe
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/02/20 12:11:09
One of my favorite green sauces has always been from Ninfa's in Houston:
http://www.recipezaar.com/34965
... it never disappoints.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/02/21 17:05:30
Ahh, we once had a Ninfa's in Dallas. I loved that place! That recipe sounds good.
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/02/26 16:37:11
I went on a hunt and fund some stuff I like. It's La Costena Green Mexican Salsa medium. I also bought some Ranchera Salsa, same brand, red, looks good but I havn't tried it yet. LA Costena is also my favourite brand of pickled jalapenos.

I did not find the brand of salsa verde I like. It might be this same brand?
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/03/02 21:59:52
Ok, I found my favorite brand of Salsa Verde... Herdez. Not that I dont't like almost all Salsa Verdes but this brand is the one I like best.

I still want to try the LaSabrozita Casera Verde though!
Joe
Legran22
Junior Burger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/03/06 16:06:23
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

One of my favorite green sauces has always been from Ninfa's in Houston:
http://www.recipezaar.com/34965
... it never disappoints.

The green salsa at Ninfa's on Navigation in Houston is quite different than the usual Salsa Verde (which can also be very good) found at other TexMex restaurants or like I make at home with roasted green chiles, tomatillos, lime juice, garlic and cilantro. It has something else in it that gives it a thicker texture and a unique taste. I used to think maybe it was a touch of sour cream, but I am not so certain. Anyway, its one of nature's little pleasures especially when teamed with a plate of Ninfa's soaked in milk overnight, twice cooked, carnitas platter and freshly made before your eyes' tortillas.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/03/06 18:36:53
We used to have a Ninfas in Dallas Le but no more, not that I can find. You are soooo lucky! Keep working on the recipe. I bet they would tell you if you asked, maybe? And then you can tell us. We will keep it a secret!
Joe
BR
Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/03/06 21:45:50
This what you're looking for?
ENJOY!

Ninfa’s Green Sauce

3 medium avocados
3 medium green tomatoes
4 fresh tomatillos
3 garlic cloves
3 sprigs fresh cilantro
2-3 jalapenos
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste

Peel avocados and place them in a blender.
In a medium saucepan, boil tomatoes, tomatillos, garlic, and jalapenos for 15 minutes.
Remove from saucepan and place all ingredients in a blender with avocados.
Add sour cream and blend until smooth.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/03/07 13:13:07
Wow, Thanks BR! Avaocados and sour cream... Legran said it was different! Sounds real good!
Joe
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/01 16:22:50
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos
quote:

Originally posted by bill voss

Do you have chile verde back there? Pork cooked long and slow in a fantastic green sauce, usually served over or beside rice. W/ flour tortillas to wrap it up in.

We recently had a Mexican restaurant open in Cortland N.Y. that is not half bad, having lived in Chicago I have a pretty base to compare to. One thing they do very well is the chile verde, I agree its a great dish.

I can also finally get tomatillas at the grocery store to make my own salsa verde.


I'm betting that it's Garcia's since the post is from 2003... I lived near there at the time and that place is one of my favorites. We had one open up in the Syracuse area recently, but it didn't last long unfortunately. They make a killer tomatillo sauce that you have to ask for, nice and hot with lots of flavor.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/01 18:15:21
hi ya seamus, welcome! anyone who checks in on the green thread is a friend of mine
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/02 10:06:03
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

hi ya seamus, welcome! anyone who checks in on the green thread is a friend of mine


Thanks, Bill... I'm a recent convert to green sauces, and am enjoying trying different things that are new to me.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: green sauces and salsas+chile verde 2008/04/02 12:01:17
What about the green sauce served in Spanish (Spain) restaurants? I believe the main ingredient is parsley....(oil, garlic, etc.)
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2