Chicken Fat Heaven

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2003/05/07 17:25:56
This was a new one to me. I was at Zern's, a combination farmers' and flea market right off of route 100 in Gilbertsville, PA (NW of Philadelphia). There was a big long line for (I thought) rotisserie chickens because I could see them through the crowd. Then I noticed most of the customers walking away from the stand with styrofoam cups and forks. I got in line and after about a 10 minute wait, saw the attraction. They had two big electric frying pans filled with bubbling chicken fat from the bottom of the rotisseries. In one was chicken livers; in the other, fresh PA button mushrooms. I got a "half and half" and what an incredible taste sensation. Of course, I regretted it about an hour later as pure chicken fat pumped through my arteries. Have you ever seen this done at any rotisserie chicken places?
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/05/09 13:55:13
No but it sounds great!! How about the little jars of scmaltz that go on the tables in some delis. It ain't light food folks.
bumper
Hamburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/05/09 19:10:40
Rumbelly what is scmaltz ?? Is it chicken fat? If so what is put on?

Bumper from the land of no real deli's
ocdreamr
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/05/09 20:17:59
Scmaltz is rendered out chicken fat. If you are keeping kosher you can't mix dairy with beef so instead of butter you put scmaltz on your bread. Today it is more likely you would use margerine but schmaltz is the old way.
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/05/09 22:51:04
One step further, the gibness (I may have misspelled this) these are the chunks that are scooped out of the chicken fat while rendering. Great snacks as well as chopping it finely and adding to the caesar salad.
CheeseWit
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/05/09 23:32:01
Rumbelly, I think you mean "gribeness," the fried skin leftover from rendering chicken fat. It's yummy, the Kosher version of fried pork rinds, you should excuse the expression. One tip, though... Never buy gribeness from a mohel! And, BTW, folks, ocdreamr has it right, the correct spelling of this delectable butter-substitute is s-c-h-m-a-l-t-z.
RubyRose
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/06/23 09:15:31
Stopped in Saturday for a return visit and they had 3 frying pans this time - the first two with the chicken livers and mushrooms but a third filled with chicken hearts.
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/06/23 09:22:10
Sammy's Rumanian (sp?) on New York's Lower East Side still keeps a jar of schmaltz on each table.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/06/23 18:19:15
RubyRose...I might have to seek out this place. Wow!! Sounds fantastic!!

On schmaltz...my German mutti-in-law saves the rendered fat from just about everything she cooks. She calls it all schmaltz. I've seen her spread the bacon-frying leftovers right onto a piece of bread and eat away! Her favorite schmaltz if goose schmaltz, though. I think she gets it at the Olde World Deli in Randallstown, MD.

Meowzart
ocdreamr
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/06/23 21:11:48
meowzart,
I only allow myself in the Old World deli once every 6 months! About due now. They do a real good saurbraten, $8 for a quart with a couple of dumplings. Then there is their bakery. I'll have one of those 2 of them & 3 of those. I could go on and on....sigh.
CheeseWit
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/06/23 22:40:50
I'm going to the Kutztown (PA) Festival this weekend and will look for any chicken fat. I will be going to Zern's in the next few weeks and will indulge in the half and half, which I love.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/11/15 23:10:35
I've had the schmaltz at Sammy's Roumanian and it is the artery clogging real thing. What a meal that was ...

Does anybody remember a deli on the Upper West Side on Broadway that served the crispy chicken skin served in an 8 oz plastic tub. The skins were served at room temperature and looked like they were fried in the schmaltz. I would buy them whenever I had the craving but never asked what exactly I was eating. I cannot even remember what it was called. Saw a reference to gibness in an earlier post. Maybe that was it, but these weren't giblets.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/11/17 11:33:30
Schmaltz is delicious and an absolute necessity for chopped liver. Watch out though---------I can feel my arteries hardening just reading about it!
When I was growing up, gribenes were my favorite. My mother always made sure I got most of them. I do miss them.......Chiccarones are good, but still not as delicious as fresh made gribenes rendered with some cripy onion.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/11/17 12:03:23
quote:
Originally posted by marberthenad

I've had the schmaltz at Sammy's Roumanian and it is the artery clogging real thing. What a meal that was ...

Does anybody remember a deli on the Upper West Side on Broadway that served the crispy chicken skin served in an 8 oz plastic tub. The skins were served at room temperature and looked like they were fried in the schmaltz. I would buy them whenever I had the craving but never asked what exactly I was eating. I cannot even remember what it was called. Saw a reference to gibness in an earlier post. Maybe that was it, but these weren't giblets.

You're talking about gribenes.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/11/17 18:43:49
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Well then, count me as a fan of gribenes.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/11/17 19:12:03
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Well then, count me as a fan of gribenes.

I haven't had it in years. In fact, I'd forgotten about gribenes.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/11/20 04:41:48
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

RubyRose...I might have to seek out this place. Wow!! Sounds fantastic!!

On schmaltz...my German mutti-in-law saves the rendered fat from just about everything she cooks. She calls it all schmaltz. I've seen her spread the bacon-frying leftovers right onto a piece of bread and eat away! Her favorite schmaltz if goose schmaltz, though. I think she gets it at the Olde World Deli in Randallstown, MD.

Meowzart

Funny, Yahoo yellow pages can't find this deli but when they ask you to check out the web they come right to this post.

So haw about some more on Olde World Deli ?

Thanks,
i95
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2003/11/20 06:56:02
BTW, the Lower East Side's famed Katz's Deli cooks its french (freedom?) fries in chicken fat.

"Hmmmmm...chicken fat." - Homer Simpson
kittypaw
Junior Burger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/02/11 16:57:29
Hm...I've got to get over to Sammy's!

I was walking by the Strip Steakhouse on E. 13th Street,
and although it was freezing cold, had to stop to salivate
over its menu. They listed a side I had never seen before-
mashed potatoes with goose fat!

Does goose fat taste substantially different from chicken fat?

--Valerie in NYC

kittypaw
Junior Burger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/03/28 20:19:44
A TASTE OF THE WORLD TO COME!

The mashed potatoes with gribenes (crispy fried onions) and schmaltz
(chicken fat), salt and pepper at Sammy's Roumanian in NYC are wonderful!
My waiter mixed it all up at my table. Deelicious!

The 'small' 15 inch Roumanian steak with garlic was delicious, too.

What I was not so crazy about was the musty smell of the place. I was near the kitchen in the back, so this may have had something to do with it. I kind of held my breath while eating and took half my food to go. Maybe I should do takeout next time?

-valerie
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/03/28 20:51:21
quote:
Originally posted by kittypaw

A TASTE OF THE WORLD TO COME!

The mashed potatoes with gribenes (crispy fried onions) and schmaltz
(chicken fat), salt and pepper at Sammy's Roumanian in NYC are wonderful!
My waiter mixed it all up at my table. Deelicious!

The 'small' 15 inch Roumanian steak with garlic was delicious, too.

What I was not so crazy about was the musty smell of the place. I was near the kitchen in the back, so this may have had something to do with it. I kind of held my breath while eating and took half my food to go. Maybe I should do takeout next time?

-valerie

valerie

i was there several years ago and do not remember any musty smell. it was a raucus borscht belt evening complete with keyboard, vocals and a bottle of vodka served on the table frozen in a block of ice. i had the veal chop, which was good and ended up getting coated in schmaltz. i would definitely not do takeout as i remembered the atmosphere as being as good if not better than the food ...

what time of year did you go? maybe there was a heating or cooling problem??
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/03/28 20:56:42
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

Funny, Yahoo yellow pages can't find this deli but when they ask you to check out the web they come right to this post.

So haw about some more on Olde World Deli ?

Thanks,

If you go to the Ultimate Yellow Pages (http://www.theultimates.com/yellow/) and enter "Old World Deli and Bakery" and "Randallstown, MD" they give the address and phone number with 5 of the 6 phone directories they use.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/03/28 22:16:56
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Scmaltz is rendered out chicken fat. If you are keeping kosher you can't mix dairy with beef so instead of butter you put scmaltz on your bread. Today it is more likely you would use margerine but schmaltz is the old way.

ocdreamr,
I'm glad you posted this! There was a mention of this in the Atlanta paper recently: one ultra-Orthodox community in Atlanta refuses to use any commercial margarine because of some shibboleth on how it's processed. They are only allowed to use schmaltz! It was the first I'd heard of it (since I'm Presbyterian, I guess), but in keeping with the tenets of the Kosher diet, using schmaltz instead of dairy makes perfect sense. Maybe they keep Glat Kosher? (Goodness, that's Yiddish sentence order! Thought begets word, as it were.)
Pareve For The Course (I've, Alas, Used That One Before!), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia (Which Has A Conservative Synagogue Est. 1872).
kittypaw
Junior Burger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/03/31 22:46:32
hi marberthenad!

i was just there on saturday...but i was hungry and after an afternoon of shopping, went at 3:45pm (they open at 3:30). most of the tables near the door were set aside for large parties, so i was at the table near the back door, the ice machine, the little bar and the cash register. this allowed me to talk with the very nice guys who work there.

i think next time i'll look for a table nearer the door. when i left at 4:15 the piano player was about to get started. sometimes when i eat alone somewhere (because of vegitarian or friends who insist on only eating organic steak), i like to get in and out at off hours.

mmmm....i am thinking about going back there this weekend just because the schmaltzy gribened mashed potatoes were so good! and the steak too!

--val
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/04/01 11:55:03
quote:

mmmm....i am thinking about going back there this weekend just because the schmaltzy gribened mashed potatoes were so good! and the steak too!

--val

Kitty:

This time around you should also order Chopped Liver, which will provide an additional blast of schmaltz. Chopped Liver at Sammy's is prepared tableside (like a Caesar Salad at a fine restaurant), with the dry ingredients receiving a liberal shower of schmaltz just before mixing. A truly beautiful sight!
kittypaw
Junior Burger
RE: Chicken Fat Heaven 2004/04/01 15:11:51
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

quote:

--val

Kitty:

This time around you should also order Chopped Liver, which will provide an additional blast of schmaltz. Chopped Liver at Sammy's is prepared tableside (like a Caesar Salad at a fine restaurant), with the dry ingredients receiving a liberal shower of schmaltz just before mixing. A truly beautiful sight!

Thanks, Howard! But I unfortunately I don't like chopped liver.

The big question-- Where can I buy schmaltz or gribenes? It's almost Passover and my matzoh wants chicken fat! Do I really have to make it myself (lazy New Yorker)?

Desperate for schmaltz,
Valerie