Alright! Now we're in my neck of the woods! OK,
* Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles 730 East Broadway...Get the Scoe's special...light as air waffles and chicken with skin that shatters like glass...they really were made for eachother! Good place to spot Lakers.
* Nino's 3853 Atlantic Avenue...cozy little Italian place...friendly service and the best Chicken Marsala ever.
* Johnny Reb's 4663 North Long Beach Blvd...Is that actually a confederate soldier on that sign? Drop peanut shells on the ground, drink lemonade out of big jars and pretend you're in the south. "Folksy"
* Jo Josts 2803 E. Anaheim St. 562-439-5446...An institution. Polish sausage sandwich and icy cold beer
* Polly's Bakery 3490 Atlantic and 4680 East Los Coyotes Diagonal...I dream about the Banberry pie...half banana cream, half strawberry, plus unusual ones like marionberry pies. Good place to bring your mom for chicken salad sandwiches.
* Clifton's Cafeteria 77 Lakewood Center Mall....although this is in a mall, it is the real thing, an LA institution, the downtown one closed years ago. Famous for grapefruit cake. I hear differing reports as to whether it's still open (maybe mixed up with LA location...ask around).
On Fridays there is a great Farmer's market with outstanding fair food and music downtown. If you see a guy in a bow tie holding pink boxes, those are bean pies...buy one fast...don't miss out! Check out Acres of Books on Long Bch Blvd downtown...dusty, but a real experience for any bibliophile. The aquarium's seal exhibit is alot of fun too!