Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 61 to 120 of 190
Perrygirl
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 04/14/05 10:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Athens, Georgia is blessed with several great breakfast places. My favorites are The Gateway Cafe' on North Avenue, S & W Cafe on Atlanta Highway, Mayflower Restaurant downtown on East Broad Street, The Grill on College Avenue downtown, and my own personal favorite - The Royal Cafe' at 175-B Tallassee Road, in the space previously occupied by The Normaltown Cafe' and run by the Normaltown's previous day prep cook and her husband. They serve breakfast at all open hours, too, which is sometimes a blessing.
I have not been to Mama Shug's in downtown Winterville, Georgia, but reports filtering back to me indicate excellence.
The Silver Screen Grill on U. S. 78 in downtown Crawford, Georgia serves breakfast at all open hours, and has a wicked Greek omelette that is well worth the 15-mile drive out there. When gasoline falls below $1.50 a gallon, I'll do some venturing to these "distant" outposts of culinary charm and report back.
Y'all making me hungry.
Rumblingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.

Perrygirl
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 04/14/05 10:14 AM
quote:

Dearfolk,
Athens, Georgia is blessed with several great breakfast places. My favorites are The Gateway Cafe' on North Avenue, S & W Cafe on Atlanta Highway, Mayflower Restaurant downtown on East Broad Street, The Grill on College Avenue downtown, and my own personal favorite - The Royal Cafe' at 175-B Tallassee Road, in the space previously occupied by The Normaltown Cafe' and run by the Normaltown's previous day prep cook and her husband. They serve breakfast at all open hours, too, which is sometimes a blessing.
I have not been to Mama Shug's in downtown Winterville, Georgia, but reports filtering back to me indicate excellence.
The Silver Screen Grill on U. S. 78 in downtown Crawford, Georgia serves breakfast at all open hours, and has a wicked Greek omelette that is well worth the 15-mile drive out there. When gasoline falls below $1.50 a gallon, I'll do some venturing to these "distant" outposts of culinary charm and report back.
Y'all making me hungry.

Perrygirl
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 04/14/05 10:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

Just got back from perrysburg,ohio. Great town. Good food. Nice atomsphere. Yes there is a waffle house there, right off of I 475 (exit 2). Perrysburg is located on the maumee river just below Toledo.

Perrygirl
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 04/14/05 10:22 AM
Hey Wafflehouserules- thanks for the nice note on Perrysburg, but you forgot great people! Hehe anyways next time you come to Perrysburg, you also have to try the lamplight in a cute little plaza off 795 right in the center of town. The food is great and the atmosphere is better, oh yeah, and they make killer muffins
quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

Just got back from perrysburg,ohio. Great town. Good food. Nice atomsphere. Yes there is a waffle house there, right off of I 475 (exit 2). Perrysburg is located on the maumee river just below Toledo.

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 04/19/05 9:54 AM
Some of my local favorites from my life in CA include

LeRoy's in Monrovia near the Santa Anita Racetrack. Noisy, crowded, and a bit greasy. Went there many Sunday mornings for great breakfasts.

Homemade Cafe in Berkeley. Fantastic waffles and pancakes. Owned and operated by a group of women of alternative lifestyle.

Fat Apples in Berkeley and El Cerrito. Known for their pies but I usually went there for their breakfasts.

swillard
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sun, 05/22/05 2:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Two places in Bexley, Ohio -- the Grill & Skillet and Cookie's -- and, of course, Waffle House.

I live between Bexley and Whitehall. I haven't tried Grill N Skillet but I have heard it's good. Where is Cookies? Have you tried Franks on Broad, just west of James, I have heard it's good too.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17839
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sun, 05/22/05 3:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by swillard

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Two places in Bexley, Ohio -- the Grill & Skillet and Cookie's -- and, of course, Waffle House.

I live between Bexley and Whitehall. I haven't tried Grill N Skillet but I have heard it's good. Where is Cookies? Have you tried Franks on Broad, just west of James, I have heard it's good too.

Frank's is Cookies. I'm sorry. It was Cookies for a long time, and I always forget the new name. Actually, many years ago it was a Toddle House. As to the Grill & Skillet, well, it's terrific.

swillard
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sun, 05/22/05 3:52 PM
Another good breakfast place in Columbus Ohio is Scramblers. There are now 3 of them in town.

I love breakfast foods anytime of the day.

Anyone know of a good brunch or breakfast buffet? I have tried Golden Corral, not too bad but looking for other places.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sun, 05/22/05 4:20 PM
quote:

Another good breakfast place in Columbus Ohio is Scramblers. There are now 3 of them in town.

Anyone know of a good brunch or breakfast buffet? I have tried Golden Corral, not too bad but looking for other places.

Try Nancy's on North High Street. And don't forget Waffle House.

swillard
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 05/24/05 11:25 PM
Waffle House is OK, don't like the atmosphere very much, though it might be better with the smoking ban.

I hear Jack & Benny's in the North Campus (Hudson & High) is good too.

Crusinsusin
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 05/25/05 7:29 AM
Eggcetera on Route 26 north of the little town of Poland, Maine. The building has been several restaurants in the last few years, but it appears as if Eggcetera may make it. Pleasant waitstaff, good service, good classic family restaurant food and great looking baked goods. Sadly, I've steered away from the baked goods (darn Weight Watchers), but they sure look good. I've been there for breakfast and lunch. Don't recall if they're open for supper. Worth the stop for anyone passing through western Maine.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 05/25/05 8:20 AM
quote:

Waffle House is OK, don't like the atmosphere very much, though it might be better with the smoking ban.

I hear Jack & Benny's in the North Campus (Hudson & High) is good too.

I knew there was something upsetting about the Waffle houses in Columbus lately. I miss the smoke.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 05/25/05 10:02 AM
quote:

I tried Scramblers a few weeks ago and liked it a lot.

The best breakfast buffet in the area that I know of is out in Plain City at the Der Dutchman. The bacon on there is unbeleivable and they have their homemade cream filled donuts on the buffet as well.

The last brunch buffet I went to was at the Buckeye Hall of Fame cafe. It was ok. Maybe a little pricey for what they have on it. I used to love the buffet at the short lived Liberty's on the corner of 3rd and Olentangy. I have not found a bruch buffet as good since they closed. Cap City Diner has a good brunch menu but it is not a buffet.

sizz_leteen
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 06/2/05 6:28 PM
Although I've only been there once, I LOVE Cora's, which is a chain of breakfast/lunch restaurants from Quebec. Lovely strawberry-custard crepes!

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 06/8/05 5:28 PM
I found the most wonderful breakfast place in Pompano Beach. I say breakfast because that's what they serve, but it's open all day. Dandee's Donuts on E 19th and Atlantic Blvd. Make their own donuts, bagels and muffins. They also serve some mean chipped beef on toast, biscuits and gravy, eggs. One of the neatest little places I've seen in awhile.

nebmart
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 06/9/05 7:09 PM
This is my first post so I hope I don't mess it up! The bestg breakfast place in Northwest Arkansas is Sunset Grill in Springdale, Arkansas. The portions are huge and extremely well priced. I am picky about my hash browns and they have never failed to get them right! They are the only place I can say that about. Sunset Grill is an old fashioned cafe. If you are ever in NWA be sure to drop in. [url][/url]http://www.nwamenus.com/menu.asp?menu=Sunset+Grill&city=Springdale[url][/url]

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 06/9/05 11:27 PM
Hey nebmart, welcome to roadfood. Hope you'll adda few more "local color" places. I've been through northern AK but not thru the NW part. It is a beautiful place and not well known.

lcfame
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 06/23/05 7:41 PM
A little cafe here in Lauderdale , Michael's, makes awesome fruit roll-ups- thin crepelike pancakes rolled around peaches- yum!

lcfame
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 06/23/05 7:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by waltpiii

In Vernon, CT, try the Vernon Diner. It is just off I 84. Two eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, coffee and juice is under $5.

In Ellingtion, CT, try the Chuck Wagon. Open only for breakfast and lunch. Great home made sausage patty.

My favorite breakfast is at Rein's in Vernon- one of their Morning Glory Muffins toasted on the grill- bliss!

Mark in VT
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 06/23/05 8:26 PM
When I am visting my inlaws inLake Worth, FL I love JOHN G'S
Most incredible almond french toast !
Everything is GREAT !
Be prepared to wait in line unless you get there when it opens !
Definately worth the wait ! It's 20 feet from a beautiful beach, so the wait is not half bad !

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Thu, 06/23/05 9:15 PM
In Highland Park, IL, the locals go to the Country Kitchen. Extensive menu, good food and good service. The tourists go to Walker Brothers Original Pancake House that does have a unique and delicious apple pancake.

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Fri, 06/24/05 12:48 PM
The place for breakfast on the north shore is located in Evanston. It's called Sarkis Cafe aka Sarkis Grill. It's tiny and an absolute Roadfood hoot. I'm suprised it's never been reviewed. Nothing compares to Sarkis Grill....nothing! It should not be missed!
http://www.igougo.com/planning/journalEntryDining.asp?JournallD=22277&EntryID=15189&n=Cafe+Sarkis

mimsy
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 07/20/05 3:54 AM
I unfortunately can only tell you where NOT TO EAT breakfast here in the Monterey, Ca area. There is a place in Salinas, Ca that for beyond my comprehension is popular. But that can be said for many eateries in this area. The food is not impressive, although the building is, which is in Old Town Salinas near the John Steinbeck Museum, (perhaps that is what the draw is, it certainly is NOT the food) The place is called First Awakenings, but unfortunately the only thing it will awaken is a desire to eat some place better next time. If you are in the area.. find the local Starbucks on south Main near Blanco, and get a nice cup of house coffee and a scone, you'll be happier. If you want a real breakfast, compared to First Awakenings, Mc Donalds has them beat, for the price. The main complaint I have is that it is mediocre. If you like a choice of toast don't eat there. You get white or wheat english muffin. Although I think you can get a couple choices of a sweet muffin, but they are nothing to scream about either. The omelet my husband had was "supposed" to be pesto,however it looked more like an egg taco topped with a mountain of melted jack cheese followed with a slimy green looking sauce that we "think" was intended as the pesto sauce. The country potatoes.. undercooked on the inside, but yet fervently burnt on the outside, now that takes talent. I hoped for some relief with at least a decent cup of coffee, oh well, Starbucks was not far away. All in All, if you are in Salinas Ca, go to Mc Donalds for breakfast and save a few dollars.

Not to sound like I don't have a good thing to offer, I do like Mimi's, although we don't have one here, have to go to Fresno, Ca for that place. And Fresno also has a nice place called the Fresno Breakfast House. One I know for sure is on West Ave and Bullard in one of the shopping lots on one of the 4 corners at that intersection.

When I find a good place to eat breakfast on the Monterey Peninsula I will post it, if any one knows of one.. email me.. we have just lost our desire to look much anymore. Food here seems to be geared to the tourist who is here for the scenery and weather and not the food. Too bad for the rest of us. Good thing I like to cook.

I think it would be just as a good service to have a forum titled..
Where NOT to Eat.. Many of us would save a lot of money that way.
mimsy..normally a happy resturant patron..<G>

hawkeyejohn
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 07/20/05 11:55 AM
A couple of recommendations in the Iowa City area. First (and my favorite) Hamburg Inn No. 2. Try the Goatstown omelet. Kielbasa, sauerkraut and swiss cheese, outstanding.

The other would be the Colony Inn in the Amana Colonies. Served family style.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 07/20/05 1:35 PM
A Tale of Two Paul's.

Paul's Fifth Avenue, formerly Paul's Pantry, on West Fifth in Columbus, has been a local gathering place since the 1980s. It serves terrific breakfasts with plenty of coffee refills. The wait staff is sassy, and the patrons are friendly. It's a very nice place to get breakfast (not to mention lunch and dinner). The owner, Paul Panzera, is a member of the American Academy of Chefs' Culinary Hall of Fame, and his dinners are memorable. Still, I'm a breakfast fan.

Then there is Paul's on East Broad Street in Columbus (or maybe it's Whitehall). There is no connection with Paul's Fifth Avenue, and that's obvious from the moment you set foot in the door. Breakfasts aren't bad, and the really good thing about the place is that it's not too far from where I live. I'll say this about the service: it leaves a lot to be desired. On the other hand, I've sometimes actually been served what I ordered. did I mention that it's not too far from my home?

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 07/20/05 3:35 PM
My favorite place is in Myrtle Beach, SC right on Ocean Blvd. It is called Olympic Flame and is run by a Greek family. A trip to the beach is not complete without a trip to Olympic Flame. Their country ham has to be the best I've ever eaten. And I always order hot chocolate even in the summer. It is seved in a tall clear glass mug with lots of whipped cream on top. Also, you can look straight across the street at the ocean while you are eating.

• Total Posts : 222
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 07/20/05 4:05 PM
Currently, 'What's for Supper?' in Norridgewock, ME.
In past lives, the Tinman diner on Rt28 in Bourne, MA (while stationed at Cp. Edwards).
What's for Supper is smaller, cheaper, and better (corned beef hash to kill for!).
Tinman was very good, but charged Cape Cod prices (like NYC prices, execpt with sand).

robicheaux
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 07/20/05 4:10 PM
Dwyers Cafe here in Lafayette, LA can't be beat!

sunnyside up
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 07/20/05 7:54 PM
The very best breakfast in the Youngstown, Ohio area is at a golf course, Bedford Trails to be exact. Two extra large eggs fixed any way you desire, wafer thin sliced potatoes grilled just right, a rasher of bacon or sausages (4 link, or 2 patties) coffee, toast and jam. All for $3.49 seven days a week! Service with a huge smile, and pleasant conversation. What a splendid way to start a day!

Josey Wales
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 07/25/05 9:23 AM
Sugar Creek restaurant in Elyria, Ohio. Great home cooked breakfast and cute wait staff too. Please the tummy and the eye. Good service and coffee as well. Pricing very reasonable.

murbike
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 08/2/05 7:49 AM
quote:

I do not understand your comment. I have never had a decent meal at Reins let alone breakfast.

I have to agree. The service at Rein's is horrible (1/2 hour for a bacon/egg/cheese on a roll?), and the food mediocre, especially breakfast. Expensive, too.

The deli takeout is good, as long as you call ahead and order. But that's another topic.

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 08/3/05 9:32 PM
In St. Louis, besides the great chains like the Waffle House, some of my favorite places for breakfast are the Courtesey Drive-In on Kingshighay, the various Eat-Rite Diner locations around the city, The little Diner on Woodson Rd. in Overland (I don't know if it has a name, the sign only says Diner. It was featured for the inside shots in the Susan Sarandon movie White Palace about 10 years ago). The former Eat-Rite Diner in Fenton, MO is now called "Slingers" after their famous egg & chilli combo, still has a great breakfast.

You haven't lived until you've had a Slinger, which originated at the OT Hodges Chilli Parlors around St. Louis, and is a staple at many of the local diners.

NAAMikey
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 08/22/05 5:00 PM
I have just rediscovered an area breakfast place here in the Hudson Valley. It is called Julie's Place and was in Fishkill for around ten years. Then they up and dissapeared, and I have on recently found out thet they moved back to Poughkeepsie where they live. Had the most fantastic breakfast of 3 pancakes with 2 eggs on top, two bacon, two sausage. It is called a "Hungry Harry". Delicious!!..Go see Julie and Gus soon...I know I will....
Mike

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 08/22/05 6:27 PM
Plaza Cafe in High Point, NC.
Good food. Family atmosphere.

you may see some members of the Petty family (NASCAR) from time to time.

jinjo76
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 08/22/05 7:26 PM

slackademic
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 08/23/05 11:22 AM
In San Diego, I go to the Hash House in Hillcrest. Each plate is HUGE and very, very good. For those on a diet, I suggest you share.

http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/menu.html

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Fri, 08/26/05 7:36 AM
quote:

Dearfolk,
Y'all making me hungry.
Well Otcarlton it dosn't look like you get out much any more

Scorereader
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 08/29/05 9:26 AM
A new favorite is when I head to the mountains in WV,
I go to Betty's Restaurant in Shepherdstown.

In DC, the best breakfast is also the best place for Hotdogs, Halfsmokes, Chili, Fries and Hamburgers -
BEN'S CHILI BOWL on U St. NW right next to the Lincoln Theatre.

By the way...did someone say that Waffle House was a great chain?
----bleeeeaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkkk!
I like to call it the Awful House, 'cuz there was one location where the "W" light was always out, so at night you'd see "Affle House"

But don't confuse Waffle House with the fantastic mini-chain of Centre County, PA
called the Waffle Shop.

PhenoBarbieDahl
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 09/6/05 4:52 PM
Indianapolis:
Keystone Deli at 52nd and Keystone has incredible biscuits, gravy, and thick-cut bacon; they also have sammiches and a cafeteria line full of yummy soul food. Just Judy's at 54th and Keystone has great biscuits and gravy too, along with killer omelets and huge-ass tenderloins for lunch. Then there is the Donut Shop at 56th and Keystone....tiny hole-in-the-wall with DIRT CHEAP and reasonably fresh and tasty breakfast items....the pancakes are particularly good, the doughnuts are outstanding (great texture, but not tooch-achingly sweet like local favorite Longs). No, I don't know why all the great Northside breakfast places are located within a half-mile radius of each other. And I just got turned on to the Original Pancake House....I usually don't like sweet stuff for breakfast, but I swear their cakes are dipped in liquid opium...

NAAMikey
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sun, 09/11/05 9:18 AM
Hey All...
Does anyone know of any good Mom & Pop eateries here in the Hudson Valley that serve buckwheat pancakes? Having a major jones for them lately. Looking for someplace new for breakfast...too many diners around here.
Mike

Sandy Eggo
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 09/12/05 4:11 PM
Maltby Cafe in Maltby, WA. It's northeast of Seattle in Snohomish. Great omelets and baked goodies like cinnamon roles and muffins.

Kiowa1
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 09/12/05 4:37 PM
Once again, Penny's in Clifton Heights, PA... fast, friendly service
and GREAT pancakes... wonderful atmosphere... and Penny always seems to be there to greet you at the door or to say goodbye...

Scorereader
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 09/14/05 10:09 AM
It's not specifically a breakfast place, but it does serve breakfast 24hrs a day is Amphora's on Maple Ave (rt.123) in Vienna VA.

It's kind of a fine dining diner. They call themselves a "diner deluxe."

I like it.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 09/14/05 11:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

Hey All...
Does anyone know of any good Mom & Pop eateries here in the Hudson Valley that serve buckwheat pancakes? Having a major jones for them lately. Looking for someplace new for breakfast...too many diners around here.
Mike

Oh, to have the problem of too many diners.

NAAMikey
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Wed, 09/14/05 8:08 PM
Michael...Problem with too many diners is they all taste and look alike. Cookie cutters and all owned by Greeks. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) I would like something different for a change....[|)]...Mike

epicuriousq
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 07/24/07 1:51 AM
In Cambridge/Somerville, id say Neighborhood Restaurant.

In Boston/North End, I love North Street Grill amongst others.

Farfromhome
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sat, 07/28/07 9:35 AM
In Mckinney Tx my favorite breakfast place is a little mom&pop called Bill Smith Cafe. Its been around for over 40 years, the prices are very low and the food is just basic comfort food. I usually get the 2 egg breakfast that comes with biscuits and gravy, sausage or bacon and I get a order of hashbrowns on the side, and I believe these are real honest to goodness not frozen hash browns. My husband usually gets one of their omelets with a side of biscuits and gravy. Our daughters usually get the french toast or the waffle with fruit, and I have to say that both look absolutely beautiful.

Our kids don't share our love for roadfood/mom & pop type places and seem to believe that if they haven't heard a jingle about a place on tv, it can't be any good. However, they are always ready to go to this place because the food is that good. And its always busy too!

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sat, 07/28/07 10:43 AM
In Dallas, my absolute favorite place for breakfast ( open on the week ends only) is a local place on Greenville Avenue called Ozana- they serve great rosemary potatoes, an eggs florentine that is hard to beat and to top it off- they have a Bloody Mary Bar that opens at 10:00 AM! You get your vodka, glass and ice and then go up to the bar to add whatever makes a Mary Bloody for you! Along with almost every condiment and add on that you can imagine from avacado to shrimp and everything in between.

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sat, 07/28/07 11:45 AM
Here in Kingsport, TN we have a nice little place downtown called the Jan-Mar, good breakfast and lunch and has been there since the 50's. Only seats about 20 or so. Will be much nicer when the smoking ban goes into effect Oct 1 2007.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9567
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sat, 07/28/07 7:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

A new favorite is when I head to the mountains in WV,
I go to Betty's Restaurant in Shepherdstown.

In DC, the best breakfast is also the best place for Hotdogs, Halfsmokes, Chili, Fries and Hamburgers -
BEN'S CHILI BOWL on U St. NW right next to the Lincoln Theatre.

By the way...did someone say that Waffle House was a great chain?
----bleeeeaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkkk!
I like to call it the Awful House, 'cuz there was one location where the "W" light was always out, so at night you'd see "Affle House"

But don't confuse Waffle House with the fantastic mini-chain of Centre County, PA
called the Waffle Shop.

What's a "Halfsmoke?"

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sun, 07/29/07 6:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by epicuriousq

There are some places that should be kept in your back pocket so to speak, and the Neighborhood is one of those. I've been eating there for years.
But now that the secret is out I must warn fellow Roadfooders it's hard to find, no parking and very busy.
But definatley worth the trip. Chow Jim

douginvirginia
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 07/30/07 8:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:
Originally posted by epicuriousq

There are some places that should be kept in your back pocket so to speak, and the Neighborhood is one of those. I've been eating there for years.
But now that the secret is out I must warn fellow Roadfooders it's hard to find, no parking and very busy.

Jim, kind'a like giving away your favorite fishing hole.

I need your help on this one. We'll be staying in Cape Ann - Rockport - in a few weeks on our way to Maine. Would like a rec for breakfast place with really good corned beef hash. I'm thinking Fowle's in Newburyport the morning we leave Cape Ann headed north. It is reviewed here by Bruce & Sue, but search of forums shows no other posts. Any others along our route?

Also, how are the clams doing this season? Will, of course, be going to Clam Box.

Thanks, Doug

iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 07/30/07 8:49 AM
In Dothan,Al.it's Kathy's Kountry Kitchen and Waffle House....

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 07/31/07 12:14 AM

Doug,
heading North towards Newburyport consider the Agawam Diner in Rowley. Solid breakfasts in a New England diner ambience.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 07/31/07 1:34 PM
Well here we have Denny's IHOP,Dairy Queen,Jack IN The Box,and McDonald's.

However in Schertz and Universal City we have some other options.
Schertz:BG's Cafe
La Salsa Tacqueria
Garcia's Mexican Restaurant
Abel's Diner
Sue's Cafe
Bill Miller's BBQ.A local San Antonio chain.There is one in Universal City,but only the one in Schertz sells breakfast.
Oh yes,and Taco Cabana.They are a local Tex-Mex chain that has now branched out to other areas.They have a website.
Cibolo,two miles from Schertz has La Tortillita, which serves breakfast.
Universal City:McDonald's

Taco Sensations
El Toro
Culebra
Taco Cabana
Live Oak:Village Inn
Dairy Queen
Mama's Cafe,but I'm not sure if Mama's serves breakfast.
In The Olympia Shopping Forum in Live Oak there is
IHOP
ChicFila
Las Palapas ,another local San Antonio chain
Charley's Grilled Subs
Starbucks
Forgot,Schertz also has,Royal Donuts, Shipley's Donuts and Starbucks.
Also in the San Antonio area is Jim's restaurants,another local San Antonio chain.
At BG's and Bill Miller's you can get brisket tacos for breakfast as well as bean and cheese,carne guisada,egg and potato and other breakfast tacos.

ConeyIslandLou
  • Total Posts : 737
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Tue, 07/31/07 2:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

Michael...Problem with too many diners is they all taste and look alike. Cookie cutters and all owned by Greeks. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) I would like something different for a change....[|)]...Mike

Mike -

Come over to Middletown sometimes, and try Maddy's Diner - a NON-greek place, just recently reopened after a disastrous fire. [url]www.maddysdiner.com[/url] Mark, the owner of the joint, has the hospitality biz in his blood, and serves a MEAN breakfast, lunch and dinner - everything is delicious! On selected Fridays, he even sets up a real Chicken BBQ up out on the street! It also has some classic diner decor - the walls are lined with Mark's lunch box collection!

GeoNit
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Fri, 08/3/07 12:50 PM

As Scorereader said, the Pennsylvania Waffle Shop mini chain (not to be confused with Waffle House) is highly recommended:

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/r_display.asp?restid=3642

Here are map links for its State College area locations:

http://foodpage.us/620079?showmap=1

http://foodpage.us/620127?showmap=1

http://foodpage.us/620214?showmap=1

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Fri, 08/3/07 8:01 PM
In Panama City. FL

John Boy's Shoppe on South Tyndall Parkway. It is a former awful waffle or similar design.

On their menu is a ghoulash that is awesome!!!

Smothering their hash browns with a couple of eggs over easy, oh yummmmm

In Mexico Beach, Fl

Sharon's Cafe

Small town diner at it's best, waitresses know everyone, and know if you are not a local.

I have been going in there for the past 10 years, while I am visiting my dad, the one waitress always says "Hi Hun, you down seeing your daddy again" everytime, she also remembers my order

2 eggs OE, corned beef hash, sausage patty, grits, wheat toast and a WAFFLE.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Sat, 08/4/07 8:49 AM
George Webbs in Brookfield, Wi. Big Eds in Raleigh N.C.

cecif
  • Total Posts : 1412
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? - Mon, 08/6/07 8:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Yup... especially if the tap dancing & occasionally singing older waiter is still around. The Neighborhood used to - literally - be my neighborhood spot!

In the North End I used to frequent Sal's... but then one day I [seriously] overheard a conversation about someone getting 'knocked off'. I never went again in if those same guys were there after that. I'm not kidding.

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 61 to 120 of 190