Hot!Local Breakfast Eateries?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 399
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/18 14:39:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

quote:
Originally posted by waltpiii

In Vernon, CT, try the Vernon Diner. It is just off I 84. Two eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, coffee and juice is under $5.

Be warned that you get what you pay for. I was very disappointed by this place, which I found utterly mediocre. Unfortunately, we'd had to make an early start out of Hartford, and no place else was open. I would have preferred a breakfast at Rein's, but what can you do.

I do not understand your comment. I have never had a decent meal at Reins let alone breakfast.
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/18 15:14:46 (permalink)
Julie,

If you are in Chatauqua Country try the White Inn in Fredonia, the Daily Grind or Dimitri's in Dunkirk.

Plus there is always Webb"s in Mayville

BB
jamesb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/19 00:01:48 (permalink)
Out here in Eugene, Oregon on Tuesdays you will find me at Brail's. Good biscuits and gravy, a different breakfast special every day, and a good wait staff in a town that prides itself on poor service. I don't get there all that often, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the Keystone Cafe. Good coffee, good breakfast, very Eugene. JAMESB
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/19 18:05:43 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
My favorite breakfast place in Metro Atlanta is The Lakewood Diner on Lakewood Ave., S/W. Beats Waffle House, Huddle House, I. H. O. P., The Majestic Food Shop on Ponce de Leon, and The Dunk 'N' Dine on Cheshire Bridge Road all hollow, and has a gazillion times more sheer funk for the buck than does The Original Pancake House, although a friend tells me that the Stone Mountain location of the last on U. S. 78 is the best location in the city.
I have yet to venture to The Disco Diner on North Avenue, N/E.
Also in the running are Judy's Diner on U. S. 29 in Lilburn and The Gwinnett Diner on Scenic Highway in Lawrenceville.
There's also a place on Industrial Boulevard (which is Old Old Old U. S. 278) in Conyers, Georgia - I forget its name - that is exceptional. Y'all Sterns missed that one when you sauntered to Conyers; at least you found what you did there and Jim Stalvey's in Covington... if only Jim's was open for breakfast, what a breakfast that would be!!
Unhungrily, Ort. Carlton in To-Early-For-Breakfast Athens, Georgia.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/22 18:23:52 (permalink)
George Webb's is a Milwaukee legend, and the best @ breakfast.

In Waukesha, I prefer Casa del Rio's chorizo y eggs.
Chip12414
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/23 02:10:13 (permalink)
ahhhhhh......Sweet Sue's in Phoenicia, NY (west of Woodstock) http://www.gunks.com/index.php?pageid=5&pagenum=1&smGroup=5 for their whole wheat pancakes (one of 22 varieties of pancake). A serving is so large it could satisfy three woodsmen! Each time I eat there I overdo, but fond memories of syrup- and butter-soaked whole wheat pancakes lure me back for repeat performances.
dendan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/23 09:16:59 (permalink)
We would pick the little hole in the wall place in Brookford, NC - "Po Beeps". Typical breakfast selections but the atmosphere is down-home. Oh, and the ladies hair salon is next door and can be entered thru the place.

tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/23 09:23:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Chip12414

ahhhhhh......Sweet Sue's in Phoenicia, NY (west of Woodstock) http://www.gunks.com/index.php?pageid=5&pagenum=1&smGroup=5 for their whole wheat pancakes (one of 22 varieties of pancake). A serving is so large it could satisfy three woodsmen! Each time I eat there I overdo, but fond memories of syrup- and butter-soaked whole wheat pancakes lure me back for repeat performances.

Chip---thanks for the reference---this place looks great and is now tucked into my "must try" list for our next trip to New England---probalby this spring as my wife and i plan of attending our 40th high school reunions---hers in Rochester--mine in Millis Ma.--and this looks like a great trip stop!

Yikes!!!--just noticed that i had passed 1900 posts!!!! When did i get time to EAT!!!
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/23 09:31:05 (permalink)
I go to Nationel coney island here in michigan. Only a few of them here in the metro detroit area. Good service. Good food. Good prices. Oh and yea I forgot to mention Waffle House when i go on trips outside of michigan
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7666
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/23 09:46:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

I go to Nationel coney island here in michigan. Only a few of them here in the metro detroit area. Good service. Good food. Good prices. Oh and yea I forgot to mention Waffle House when i go on trips outside of michigan

Think of all the wonderful local Mom n Pop breakfast eateries you are missing out on when you go outside of Michigan
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/23 10:14:58 (permalink)
Besides Norma J's mobile home eatery, one of my favorite spots is Chris's Family Restaurant. If you're ever travelling along I-78, eastward from Harrisburg PA and get off at Route 100 North - instead of turning left into where Cracker Barrell is located, turn right, go about 2 miles, and it's on the left.

Usual breakfast fare includes creamed chipped beef, feta cheese and spinach omelets, fresh home fries, and experienced waitresses. They don't make 'real' folded up omelets, only the frittata kind but they're good and if you want grits, you'll have to go to Cracker Barrell.

Right next to Chris's is a Mobil gas station with a little sandwich shop inside (only open until 2 PM). For a huge made-to-order carryout egg & cheese and ham (bacon, or sausage) sandwich on a Kaiser roll, that's the place. It doesn't have a sign outside for the sandwich shop but it's one of the busiest takeout spots in the area at lunchtime too, when they grill big thick hamburgers for those same Kaiser rolls.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/23 11:46:47 (permalink)
I eat at mom and pops also when i go outside of michigan.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/28 14:35:48 (permalink)
I had a really good breakfast at a neat little place in VA Beach this week one block from the ocean on Pacific Ave, called Waffles & Company. Homemade corned beef hash and good waffles, pancakes and omellettes. Good value.
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/28 15:58:05 (permalink)
Lots of good Mom and Pop local diners in town like the Peppermill and the Athena, but my favorite for breakfast is (gasp, uh, a chain restaurant) Bob Evans. I love their blueberry pancakes and sausage patties. They are one of the few places where the blueberries are mixed through the batter, not just a topping over the regular pancakes.
bethgrd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 320
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/28 18:33:25 (permalink)
the J and M Diner in Framingham, MA on route 126 in a strip mall...very good breakfasts. excellent french toast, omelettes, and home fries. Not really a diner, more of a breakfast joint.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/28 23:05:45 (permalink)
Breakfast at the Southern Kitchen in Kanawha City, Charleston, WV. Impossible to beat. . . . unless. . .

I used to go to a place in Boston. . . It was on Boylston Ave somewhere between the Back Bay hilton and the Prudential Center. . . closer to the Back Bay. It was on the north side of the street (opposite the hilton and the Prudential Center). wht a greatl little greasy spoon it was. They made the best home fries and ALWAYS did the eggs perfectly. It was a classic NE grill joint. They had a bar along one wall and all the local alcoholic business men would be in there getting their morning shots. That was back in the late 80s early 90s. . . havn't been back in that neighborood since. I have GOT to go back up there and see if it still exists next time I'm in Boston.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/29 11:46:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Leania_1stone

I like to go to the gas station and get breakfast :) I live in a town of about 260 ppl and we have a small gas station and they make breakfast and lunch there they have really wonderful gravy and biscuts (spelling)? I'll order from there once and a while and walk the block to go pick it up :)

As the sign at a gas station/cafe on highway 31 south of Kokomo, Indiana says: "Eat here and get gas".
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/29 12:40:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

Breakfast at the Southern Kitchen in Kanawha City, Charleston, WV. Impossible to beat. . . . unless. . .

I used to go to a place in Boston. . . It was on Boylston Ave somewhere between the Back Bay hilton and the Prudential Center. . . closer to the Back Bay. It was on the north side of the street (opposite the hilton and the Prudential Center). wht a greatl little greasy spoon it was. They made the best home fries and ALWAYS did the eggs perfectly. It was a classic NE grill joint. They had a bar along one wall and all the local alcoholic business men would be in there getting their morning shots. That was back in the late 80s early 90s. . . havn't been back in that neighborood since. I have GOT to go back up there and see if it still exists next time I'm in Boston.

I remember the Soouthern Kitchen. I haven't been there in years. I also remember great breakfasts at the Sterling at about three in the morning.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/30 04:45:26 (permalink)
Gournet's Market in Knoxville, on Kingston PK in the Bearden area has an outstanding Sunday breakfast/brunch. I go there most Sundays after church, meet with some friends and solve the world's problems. Sit outside and enjoy the atmosphere.
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/30 11:07:59 (permalink)

I remember the Soouthern Kitchen. I haven't been there in years. I also remember great breakfasts at the Sterling at about three in the morning.

Ahhh, the Sterling. . . It was a great steak place. The 16oz. "Bull in a Pen" was a favorite when my parents would take me out to diner when I was a starving college kid.
They recently had a reincarnation with a Greek restaurant in town. . . "Mykonos/Sterling" they called it. I noticed recently that it is back to being called just plain "Mykonos."
The only place to get a real taste of the old Sterling is in St. Albans at "The River's Edge." They do the crumbled blue cheese and french dressing exactly like the sterling did and I think they even offer a Bull in Pen. There is some familial connection between them and the old Sterling.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/01/30 11:20:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SouthHillbilly

Ahhh, the Sterling. . . It was a great steak place. The 16oz. "Bull in a Pen" was a favorite when my parents would take me out to diner when I was a starving college kid.
They recently had a reincarnation with a Greek restaurant in town. . . "Mykonos/Sterling" they called it. I noticed recently that it is back to being called just plain "Mykonos."
The only place to get a real taste of the old Sterling is in St. Albans at "The River's Edge." They do the crumbled blue cheese and french dressing exactly like the sterling did and I think they even offer a Bull in Pen. There is some familial connection between them and the old Sterling.

Thanks for the update. My wife used to love the Sterling's Greek salad. I usually needed eggs and stuff at that hour.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/02/05 22:54:17 (permalink)
Just got back from perrysburg,ohio. Great town. Good food. Nice atomsphere. Yes there is a waffle house there, right off of I 475 (exit 2). Perrysburg is located on the maumee river just below Toledo.
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/02/06 18:16:03 (permalink)
On 17th Street just east of Castro at Market Street in San Francisco is Orphan Andy's, which is your basic diner, but with nearly all their offerings being quite good. They have a "Big Twos" for $7.75, which is 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 strips (except they usually send out 3) of bacon, 2 pancakes (each about 8" in diamater) and coffee, tea or soda. Their burgers are also very good. Nearly the only time this place is NOT open is Christmas Day and something like 2-5 AM once every two weeks to clean. Being in the Castro district, you can go there safely at any time of night or day.
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/02/07 09:33:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I had a really good breakfast at a neat little place in VA Beach this week one block from the ocean on Pacific Ave, called Waffles & Company. Homemade corned beef hash and good waffles, pancakes and omellettes. Good value.

Another great little local place for breakfast or lunch in Va. Beach is Mary's Restaurant. It's at 616 Va. Beach Blvd., (same as 17th St.) about 6 blocks in from the ocean.

Country/southern style breakfasts, and lunch is good too with daily blue plate specials.

Frank
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/02/21 17:16:47 (permalink)
[code][/code]
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Besides Norma J's mobile home eatery, one of my favorite spots is Chris's Family Restaurant. If you're ever travelling along I-78, eastward from Harrisburg PA and get off at Route 100 North - instead of turning left into where Cracker Barrell is located, turn right, go about 2 miles, and it's on the left.

Usual breakfast fare includes creamed chipped beef, feta cheese and spinach omelets, fresh home fries, and experienced waitresses. They don't make 'real' folded up omelets, only the frittata kind but they're good and if you want grits, you'll have to go to Cracker Barrell.
[url][/url]

Right next to Chris's is a Mobil gas station with a little sandwich shop inside (only open until 2 PM). For a huge made-to-order carryout egg & cheese and ham (bacon, or sausage) sandwich on a Kaiser roll, that's the place. It doesn't have a sign outside for the sandwich shop but it's one of the busiest takeout spots in the area at lunchtime too, when they grill big thick hamburgers for those same Kaiser rolls.

I will second Ruby Roses reccomendation on Chris. Made a point to go there after reading her post. Vey good pancakes.The home fries were also good, and differant. Saturated with butter for a buttery, rather than greasy taste . excellant
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/02/21 17:22:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

Maureen's Kitchen
(631) 360-9227
1 Larson Ave
Smithtown, NY 11787

Only open for breakfast and lunch.

I second this! Yummy

Another favorite is the Terrace Diner on Sunrise Highway in West Babylon...spotlessly clean, great food, usually good service (can be slow sometimes).
verysleepy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/02/25 12:14:46 (permalink)
Here in NY, on my way to the office, everyday I stop at this (for lack of better description)- take out deli. No, not the usual Jewish style deli here in NY, but a place that has the obligatory salad bar at lunch, hot foods, and serves breakfast too. I never eat in, but they have the best bargain left in NY. A coffee, or tea, and a toasted bagel (many varieties) or a bialy (my favorite) with either butter, or jelly for the sum of ONE dollar. The coffee is decent, and the bialies are truly tasty. I am sure it has a name, though I do not know it- but it is the only deli between 39th Street and 40th Street on the west side of Madison Ave. It is too bad that they recently lost the best, and fastest counter guy in the world, but the bargain still remains. ONE DOLLAR?
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/02/25 12:55:20 (permalink)
Three great places for breakfast locally come to mind: Waffle House (no need to explain that one), Starliner Diner in Hilliard (great breakfast burritos and French Toast made with Cuban bread), and The Cock and Crow in West Jefferson (yummy breakfast quiches). I love anything different for breakfast, including the catfish at Cracker Barrel, therefore these type places get my vote every time.

Donna
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/03/20 21:22:57 (permalink)
i love Country Jims in Davidson,Michigan. Used to have one here in waterford,michigan (which was the only one, then they Moved to davidson)great country ham there. if ur in the Davidson-flint area, go there its off INTERSTATE 69 exit 145.
gowhereuwannago
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/03/22 12:11:05 (permalink)
Nashville, TN - the Hermitage Cafe on Hermitage Ave just on the outskirts of downtown. Awesome biscuits, pancakes, eggs, bacon - all the usual breakfast fare, as well as above par sweet tea. This place opens up at night, stays open around the clock through the normal breakfast hours, and closes up aruond lunchtime. It'a an honest-to-goodness greasy spoon where country music celebrity photos line the walls, and you never know who you might run into. The Hermitage Cafe is the second best breakfast I've ever had next to the amazing food at the Beacon in Oxford, MS. This place is not to be missed in Oxford. We had to wait 20 minutes or more in the wall-to-wall packed little diner before getting seated. When our food was delivered, we knew why there was such a wait. This place has the most amazing hash browns I've ever had - everything was absolutely perfect. Just don't ask them for sweet tea - the t-shirts are not a joke.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1