Hot!Local Breakfast Eateries?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
murbike
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/02 07:49:48 (permalink)
quote:

I do not understand your comment. I have never had a decent meal at Reins let alone breakfast.

I have to agree. The service at Rein's is horrible (1/2 hour for a bacon/egg/cheese on a roll?), and the food mediocre, especially breakfast. Expensive, too.

The deli takeout is good, as long as you call ahead and order. But that's another topic.
Rt66Mike
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/03 21:32:37 (permalink)
In St. Louis, besides the great chains like the Waffle House, some of my favorite places for breakfast are the Courtesey Drive-In on Kingshighay, the various Eat-Rite Diner locations around the city, The little Diner on Woodson Rd. in Overland (I don't know if it has a name, the sign only says Diner. It was featured for the inside shots in the Susan Sarandon movie White Palace about 10 years ago). The former Eat-Rite Diner in Fenton, MO is now called "Slingers" after their famous egg & chilli combo, still has a great breakfast.

You haven't lived until you've had a Slinger, which originated at the OT Hodges Chilli Parlors around St. Louis, and is a staple at many of the local diners.
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/22 17:00:33 (permalink)
I have just rediscovered an area breakfast place here in the Hudson Valley. It is called Julie's Place and was in Fishkill for around ten years. Then they up and dissapeared, and I have on recently found out thet they moved back to Poughkeepsie where they live. Had the most fantastic breakfast of 3 pancakes with 2 eggs on top, two bacon, two sausage. It is called a "Hungry Harry". Delicious!!..Go see Julie and Gus soon...I know I will....
Mike
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/22 18:27:38 (permalink)
Plaza Cafe in High Point, NC.
Good food. Family atmosphere.

you may see some members of the Petty family (NASCAR) from time to time.

jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/22 19:26:28 (permalink)
I like the LJ diner near me.

http://www.restaurantrow.com/ShowPics.cfm?Type=Menu&nCode=861003&code=861003&Byte=u&Number=1&Ext=gif&Name=LJ%20Diner&Word=menu&Count=6&state=FL

Jonathan
slackademic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/23 11:22:00 (permalink)
In San Diego, I go to the Hash House in Hillcrest. Each plate is HUGE and very, very good. For those on a diet, I suggest you share.

http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/menu.html

Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/26 07:36:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
Athens, Georgia is blessed with several great breakfast places. My favorites are The Gateway Cafe' on North Avenue, S & W Cafe on Atlanta Highway, Mayflower Restaurant downtown on East Broad Street, The Grill on College Avenue downtown, and my own personal favorite - The Royal Cafe' at 175-B Tallassee Road, in the space previously occupied by The Normaltown Cafe' and run by the Normaltown's previous day prep cook and her husband. They serve breakfast at all open hours, too, which is sometimes a blessing.
I have not been to Mama Shug's in downtown Winterville, Georgia, but reports filtering back to me indicate excellence.
The Silver Screen Grill on U. S. 78 in downtown Crawford, Georgia serves breakfast at all open hours, and has a wicked Greek omelette that is well worth the 15-mile drive out there. When gasoline falls below $1.50 a gallon, I'll do some venturing to these "distant" outposts of culinary charm and report back.
Y'all making me hungry.
Rumblingly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Central.
Well Otcarlton it dosn't look like you get out much any more
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/08/29 09:26:17 (permalink)
A new favorite is when I head to the mountains in WV,
I go to Betty's Restaurant in Shepherdstown.

In DC, the best breakfast is also the best place for Hotdogs, Halfsmokes, Chili, Fries and Hamburgers -
BEN'S CHILI BOWL on U St. NW right next to the Lincoln Theatre.

By the way...did someone say that Waffle House was a great chain?
----bleeeeaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkkk!
I like to call it the Awful House, 'cuz there was one location where the "W" light was always out, so at night you'd see "Affle House"

But don't confuse Waffle House with the fantastic mini-chain of Centre County, PA
called the Waffle Shop.

PhenoBarbieDahl
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/09/06 16:52:48 (permalink)
Indianapolis:
Keystone Deli at 52nd and Keystone has incredible biscuits, gravy, and thick-cut bacon; they also have sammiches and a cafeteria line full of yummy soul food. Just Judy's at 54th and Keystone has great biscuits and gravy too, along with killer omelets and huge-ass tenderloins for lunch. Then there is the Donut Shop at 56th and Keystone....tiny hole-in-the-wall with DIRT CHEAP and reasonably fresh and tasty breakfast items....the pancakes are particularly good, the doughnuts are outstanding (great texture, but not tooch-achingly sweet like local favorite Longs). No, I don't know why all the great Northside breakfast places are located within a half-mile radius of each other. And I just got turned on to the Original Pancake House....I usually don't like sweet stuff for breakfast, but I swear their cakes are dipped in liquid opium...
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/09/11 09:18:47 (permalink)
Hey All...
Does anyone know of any good Mom & Pop eateries here in the Hudson Valley that serve buckwheat pancakes? Having a major jones for them lately. Looking for someplace new for breakfast...too many diners around here.
Mike
Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/09/12 16:11:10 (permalink)
Maltby Cafe in Maltby, WA. It's northeast of Seattle in Snohomish. Great omelets and baked goodies like cinnamon roles and muffins.
Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/09/12 16:37:15 (permalink)
Once again, Penny's in Clifton Heights, PA... fast, friendly service
and GREAT pancakes... wonderful atmosphere... and Penny always seems to be there to greet you at the door or to say goodbye...
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/09/14 10:09:30 (permalink)
It's not specifically a breakfast place, but it does serve breakfast 24hrs a day is Amphora's on Maple Ave (rt.123) in Vienna VA.

It's kind of a fine dining diner. They call themselves a "diner deluxe."

I like it.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18641
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/09/14 11:36:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

Hey All...
Does anyone know of any good Mom & Pop eateries here in the Hudson Valley that serve buckwheat pancakes? Having a major jones for them lately. Looking for someplace new for breakfast...too many diners around here.
Mike

Oh, to have the problem of too many diners.
NAAMikey
Cheeseburger
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2005/09/14 20:08:37 (permalink)
Michael...Problem with too many diners is they all taste and look alike. Cookie cutters and all owned by Greeks. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) I would like something different for a change....[|)]...Mike
epicuriousq
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/24 01:51:43 (permalink)
In Cambridge/Somerville, id say Neighborhood Restaurant.

In Boston/North End, I love North Street Grill amongst others.
Farfromhome
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/28 09:35:57 (permalink)
In Mckinney Tx my favorite breakfast place is a little mom&pop called Bill Smith Cafe. Its been around for over 40 years, the prices are very low and the food is just basic comfort food. I usually get the 2 egg breakfast that comes with biscuits and gravy, sausage or bacon and I get a order of hashbrowns on the side, and I believe these are real honest to goodness not frozen hash browns. My husband usually gets one of their omelets with a side of biscuits and gravy. Our daughters usually get the french toast or the waffle with fruit, and I have to say that both look absolutely beautiful.

Our kids don't share our love for roadfood/mom & pop type places and seem to believe that if they haven't heard a jingle about a place on tv, it can't be any good. However, they are always ready to go to this place because the food is that good. And its always busy too!
mland520
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/28 10:43:59 (permalink)
In Dallas, my absolute favorite place for breakfast ( open on the week ends only) is a local place on Greenville Avenue called Ozana- they serve great rosemary potatoes, an eggs florentine that is hard to beat and to top it off- they have a Bloody Mary Bar that opens at 10:00 AM! You get your vodka, glass and ice and then go up to the bar to add whatever makes a Mary Bloody for you! Along with almost every condiment and add on that you can imagine from avacado to shrimp and everything in between.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/28 11:45:20 (permalink)
Here in Kingsport, TN we have a nice little place downtown called the Jan-Mar, good breakfast and lunch and has been there since the 50's. Only seats about 20 or so. Will be much nicer when the smoking ban goes into effect Oct 1 2007.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/28 19:29:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

A new favorite is when I head to the mountains in WV,
I go to Betty's Restaurant in Shepherdstown.

In DC, the best breakfast is also the best place for Hotdogs, Halfsmokes, Chili, Fries and Hamburgers -
BEN'S CHILI BOWL on U St. NW right next to the Lincoln Theatre.

By the way...did someone say that Waffle House was a great chain?
----bleeeeaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkkk!
I like to call it the Awful House, 'cuz there was one location where the "W" light was always out, so at night you'd see "Affle House"

But don't confuse Waffle House with the fantastic mini-chain of Centre County, PA
called the Waffle Shop.

What's a "Halfsmoke?"
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/29 06:18:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by epicuriousq

There are some places that should be kept in your back pocket so to speak, and the Neighborhood is one of those. I've been eating there for years.
But now that the secret is out I must warn fellow Roadfooders it's hard to find, no parking and very busy.
But definatley worth the trip. Chow Jim
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/30 08:29:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:
Originally posted by epicuriousq

There are some places that should be kept in your back pocket so to speak, and the Neighborhood is one of those. I've been eating there for years.
But now that the secret is out I must warn fellow Roadfooders it's hard to find, no parking and very busy.

Jim, kind'a like giving away your favorite fishing hole.

I need your help on this one. We'll be staying in Cape Ann - Rockport - in a few weeks on our way to Maine. Would like a rec for breakfast place with really good corned beef hash. I'm thinking Fowle's in Newburyport the morning we leave Cape Ann headed north. It is reviewed here by Bruce & Sue, but search of forums shows no other posts. Any others along our route?

Also, how are the clams doing this season? Will, of course, be going to Clam Box.

Thanks, Doug
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/30 08:49:26 (permalink)
In Dothan,Al.it's Kathy's Kountry Kitchen and Waffle House....
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/31 00:14:38 (permalink)

Doug,
heading North towards Newburyport consider the Agawam Diner in Rowley. Solid breakfasts in a New England diner ambience.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1074
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/31 13:34:30 (permalink)
Well here we have Denny's IHOP,Dairy Queen,Jack IN The Box,and McDonald's.

However in Schertz and Universal City we have some other options.
Schertz:BG's Cafe
La Salsa Tacqueria
Garcia's Mexican Restaurant
Abel's Diner
Sue's Cafe
Bill Miller's BBQ.A local San Antonio chain.There is one in Universal City,but only the one in Schertz sells breakfast.
Oh yes,and Taco Cabana.They are a local Tex-Mex chain that has now branched out to other areas.They have a website.
Cibolo,two miles from Schertz has La Tortillita, which serves breakfast.
Universal City:McDonald's

Taco Sensations
El Toro
Culebra
Taco Cabana
Live Oak:Village Inn
Dairy Queen
Mama's Cafe,but I'm not sure if Mama's serves breakfast.
In The Olympia Shopping Forum in Live Oak there is
IHOP
ChicFila
Las Palapas ,another local San Antonio chain
Charley's Grilled Subs
Starbucks
Forgot,Schertz also has,Royal Donuts, Shipley's Donuts and Starbucks.
Also in the San Antonio area is Jim's restaurants,another local San Antonio chain.
At BG's and Bill Miller's you can get brisket tacos for breakfast as well as bean and cheese,carne guisada,egg and potato and other breakfast tacos.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/07/31 14:36:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NAAMikey

Michael...Problem with too many diners is they all taste and look alike. Cookie cutters and all owned by Greeks. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) I would like something different for a change....[|)]...Mike

Mike -

Come over to Middletown sometimes, and try Maddy's Diner - a NON-greek place, just recently reopened after a disastrous fire. [url]www.maddysdiner.com[/url] Mark, the owner of the joint, has the hospitality biz in his blood, and serves a MEAN breakfast, lunch and dinner - everything is delicious! On selected Fridays, he even sets up a real Chicken BBQ up out on the street! It also has some classic diner decor - the walls are lined with Mark's lunch box collection!
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/03 12:50:35 (permalink)

As Scorereader said, the Pennsylvania Waffle Shop mini chain (not to be confused with Waffle House) is highly recommended:

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/r_display.asp?restid=3642

Here are map links for its State College area locations:

http://foodpage.us/620079?showmap=1

http://foodpage.us/620127?showmap=1

http://foodpage.us/620214?showmap=1
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6442
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/03 20:01:39 (permalink)
In Panama City. FL

John Boy's Shoppe on South Tyndall Parkway. It is a former awful waffle or similar design.

On their menu is a ghoulash that is awesome!!!

Smothering their hash browns with a couple of eggs over easy, oh yummmmm

In Mexico Beach, Fl

Sharon's Cafe

Small town diner at it's best, waitresses know everyone, and know if you are not a local.

I have been going in there for the past 10 years, while I am visiting my dad, the one waitress always says "Hi Hun, you down seeing your daddy again" everytime, she also remembers my order

2 eggs OE, corned beef hash, sausage patty, grits, wheat toast and a WAFFLE.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8480
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/04 08:49:21 (permalink)
George Webbs in Brookfield, Wi. Big Eds in Raleigh N.C.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Local Breakfast Eateries? 2007/08/06 08:03:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Yup... especially if the tap dancing & occasionally singing older waiter is still around. The Neighborhood used to - literally - be my neighborhood spot!

In the North End I used to frequent Sal's... but then one day I [seriously] overheard a conversation about someone getting 'knocked off'. I never went again in if those same guys were there after that. I'm not kidding. " />
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1