Fried calamari

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1912
  • Reward points : 0
Fried calamari - Thu, 12/30/04 4:31 PM
Brew City in Worcester, Mass was serving fried calameri on their Christmas party buffet. It was the best that I have had in a long time. I might go back and buy it off the menu. A lot of us were sort of "stripping" the buffet by doing the calamari and not much else. They didn't seem to mind because they kept putting more out. I like the rings more than the tenticals (sp?)

Andoo
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Fried calamari - Thu, 12/30/04 5:25 PM
Hey tmiles, here in Monterey, CA. on the other end of the country from you, fried calamari is a specialty because of all the Italians. My Christmas morning breakfast has been squid and fried eggs for years. There was a place a few years ago that had a signature dish called the "Scott Burger". It was a cheeseburger with two slabs of fried suid and tarter sauce on it. It was my buddy DinoS's favorite dish. He still laments it's demise. We also have a place on Fishermans Wharf that has the rings and tentacles sauteed in olive oil, dry white wine, garlic, and a little squid ink to turn it a little black, that is out of this world. Try getting some tentacles and blanching them in boiling water for a few minutes, than cooling them, marinating them in red wine vinegar, oil, onions, garlic and chives. There's no better better dish with a few beers

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Fried calamari - Thu, 12/30/04 10:19 PM
I've had calamari on the east coast, and in California, as well as the midwest, it's one of my favorite foods, seems to be sold as an appetizer in most places. I had it as an entree at a place near San Fran that was served in a hunk, like a steak, not breaded rings.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
RE: Fried calamari - Fri, 12/31/04 3:17 AM
Oh fried calamari! Lord, send me back to Hanover St. in Boston's North End, plop me at one of the 10 tables at Mangia Calamari (The Daily Catch)and just look at Mr. Lee, the chef that's been there for 20 years .......and instantly the most delicious plate of fried calamari appears in front of you. Lots of lemon..........the best fried calamari I have EVER EATEN!

Then there are the calamari meatballs, the squid ink linguine, the stuffed calamari on linguine, the calamari marinara.........unquestionably my favorite restaurant in Boston!!!!!!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15076
RE: Fried calamari - Fri, 12/31/04 4:22 AM

Here is one place where I have to differ from all of my friends. Calamari is Fishbait. It is very good Fishbait. It is unfit for human consumption . End of story.

NYCTransplant
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Fried calamari - Fri, 12/31/04 8:05 AM
FISHBAIT????

I will agree that "rubber band" calamari is unfit, even for fish. However, when cooked correctly, so it is tender and moist with a good fried coating, there is not much better in the way of comfort food.

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Fried calamari - Sat, 01/1/05 6:58 PM
Andoo, when I was out that way years ago, I had sauted squid and eggs for breakfast at that little place on the commercial wharf. It was the best ever. I get it fried often but always think of that one place.

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Fried calamari - Sat, 01/1/05 7:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Here is one place where I have to differ from all of my friends. Calamari is Fishbait. It is very good Fishbait. It is unfit for human consumption . End of story.

Recon you can call me Grouper then.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15076
RE: Fried calamari - Sat, 01/1/05 9:19 PM

No personal attacks intended with my comment. Live Squid is referred to as the Candy Bait for taking Yellowtail and Tuna off the Pacific Coast. Frozen Squid is a poor second, but still outperforms most other forms of natural or artifical baits used for those species.
It has been my unfortuneate experience that ALL Squid I have ever tried in various Asian cities and on the left coast has been of the rubberband variety. What a terrible waste of batter and oil to prepare something that tastes and feels like it should be served at GoodYear Tire Centers. I will be happy to alter that concept if I ever have Squid served that fits some of the descriptions above. SO far, my version stands!!

lleechef
RE: Fried calamari - Sun, 01/2/05 1:31 AM
Mr. Mayor, with all due respect, you must NOT pass judgement on the lowly and mostly unloved squid until you've tried it at The Daily Catch!
www.dailycatch.com
This is not an endorsement for The Daily Catch.....well.....maybe just a LITTLE endorsement.......heck, I even took The Big Guy there and he LOVED,LOVED,LOVED it. If I had only enough time to eat ONE meal in Boston, I would go there. Hands down, my favorite restaurant in Beantown!!!

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Fried calamari - Sun, 01/2/05 4:50 PM
Mr. Mayor and I say this with all due respect since
I met you at the Maryland crab fest.
But.
I have eaten calamari all around our world
and when cooked properly and fresh it is sweet
and succulent and tasty. It must be fresh and
coated properly and cooked no more than a minute
or two in hot oil.
And yes it does make great bait for catching
fish.
Keep on looking for the good stuff.

DinoS
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Fried calamari - Sun, 01/2/05 6:25 PM
There was a guy here in Monterey that had a breakfast/lunch joint called 'Snack & Yack' that made the best fried squid ever. He only used Monterey Bay squid (1/8" thick - not those thick steaks from Mexico!) and he pounded it (absolutely necessary!) with his secret blend of flour and spices and then deep fried it for a minute or two. Fantastic.

Unfortunately most of the local restaurants seem to have lost the cooking techniques that were common 25 years ago.

Nobody locally would waste Monterey Bay squid by using it as fish bait. There's not enough to go around for the PEOPLE that want to eat it!

Dino

Andoo
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Fried calamari - Mon, 01/3/05 12:20 PM
RC51Mike, If you had it on the commercial wharf, (as opposed to the tourist) you ate at either the Sand Bar, or Joe's Boat Hoist (now LuLu's). Both are pretty good and draw a little more of a locals crowd. I have to agree with DinoS. The local squid is far superior to the thicker Mexican variety. The local is hard to get now. Ten years ago you could just go down and get a five gallon bucket for almost nothing. The main cost associated with it then was the price of the beer you drank while cleaning that much.

CarolinaBill
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/4/05 3:42 PM
I hate to be a total weenie regarding squid - have eaten it a few times, if I don't think about what it, is, certainly don't find taste offensive, somewhat similar to clams. But I just CAN'T get past the fact that it is a squid!!!! Yet, I'll happily eat a hot dog, the contents of which are far more foul than the squid, which, from my understanding, eats a fairly nice seafood diet.....go figure. And octopus? The way I saw it presented in Greece (or prepared on "Iron Chef" in the most vile episode of them all) makes me unable to even consider comsuming.....

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/4/05 4:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I have to agree, BUT I have never tried it, can't get up the nerve to. I eat alot of things people shudder at but I just can't do the calamari thing. Must have watched to much Jaques Cousteau growing up. I love grouper though!

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/4/05 4:46 PM
and in this corner,wearing the calamari colored shorts is IIeechef,in the opposite corner,we have,wearing fishermans gear,the legendary 'Al-The'Mayor'.......10 rounds,loser eats calamari,unless IIeechef loses,then she has to go fishiing with the mayor where she must fish or cut bait

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/4/05 4:58 PM
I have only had properly prepared squid in one place... and that place was razed to the ground this past year! dangit!

bethgrd
  • Total Posts : 320
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/4/05 5:31 PM
Hey, Leelee chef, I recently went to the daily catch for the first time. Indeed, the food was good. I had pasta with white clam sauce which was very very good. but the ambience leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't mind poor ambience(plastic wine cups, clanging pots being washed a few feet from me) if the price reflected it...i.e. was lower, but the prices were high...i think a glass of wine was like eight dollars, and the quality was poor,and out of a plastic cup. just my opinion. also, for those prices, they could have given me a bit more pasta, i mean pasta is cheap and i really wasn't filled up.

lleechef
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/4/05 9:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

and in this corner,wearing the calamari colored shorts is IIeechef,in the opposite corner,we have,wearing fishermans gear,the legendary 'Al-The'Mayor'.......10 rounds,loser eats calamari,unless IIeechef loses,then she has to go fishiing with the mayor where she must fish or cut bait

How did you know I was wearing the calamari colored shorts? What?? I will go one on one with Al The Mayor......10 rounds. I hope I lose so I can eat all the calamari before he and McDuff get to it!!!

lleechef
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/4/05 9:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bethgrd

Hey, Leelee chef, I recently went to the daily catch for the first time. Indeed, the food was good. I had pasta with white clam sauce which was very very good. but the ambience leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't mind poor ambience(plastic wine cups, clanging pots being washed a few feet from me) if the price reflected it...i.e. was lower, but the prices were high...i think a glass of wine was like eight dollars, and the quality was poor,and out of a plastic cup. just my opinion. also, for those prices, they could have given me a bit more pasta, i mean pasta is cheap and i really wasn't filled up.

OH! I NEVER said that the ambiance was classy!! They serve the dinners in the saute pans that they cooked them in. I personally have never been able to finish a dinner at The Daily Catch. I have never been served wine in a plastic cup. And yeah, you are seated next to the kitchen but maybe because the chef is a dear friend of mine, makes me endeared to this place. We chat back and forth while he cooks my calamari, cooks my pasta, then comes to the table and has a glass of wine with us.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3595
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 01/5/05 1:43 PM
For years I made calamari steaks, cutting them into strips, Italian breadcrumbs and panfrying them. I always said it was calamri and the kids loved it. Finally one day my oldest aske what kind of animal a "calamari" was. When I explained, I saw a very strange look on his face, but the kids by then loved calamari so much they kept eating it!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17855
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 01/5/05 1:47 PM
My grandson loved calamari -- until the first night he had to clean all the squid for a special at the restaurant where he was working.

Maynerd
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 01/5/05 1:59 PM
I usually eat it only at a bar as a snack.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Fried calamari - Sat, 01/8/05 2:04 AM
Love salt and pepper squid at Vietnamese restaurants. Also loved calimari salads when intoduced to them in San Fransisco a few years ago

Seriousfoody
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Fried calamari - Mon, 01/10/05 11:57 AM
Fishbait is a little strong but I might also have a similar adjective for liver! Calamari if not prepared correctly can be like chewing erasers. Again its all in the time it takes to cook it. The same could be said for lobster if over cooked. I have had outstanding grilled squid at Portugese restaurants also, almost butter tender!

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Fried calamari - Mon, 01/10/05 12:05 PM
The daily catch is good, but if you are a dear personal friend of a chef anywhere, your experience is certainly going to be better than someone in off the street.

Some of the best fried calamari I have been enjoying has been at a korean place that does it. Quickly fried in panko, it is some of the biggest, plumpest and tender calamari I have tasted.

You either have to cook squid very quickly or for a long time, anything in the middle will cause it to be rubbery. I personally like the tentacles. The bands can be good, but if I am served just a plate of those, I almost am sure that the place used pre-fried frozen jobs.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Fried calamari - Mon, 01/10/05 8:01 PM
Believe it or not, there really is a chain restaurant that serves great Italian food, and fantastic calamari. Carrabba's Italian Grill.

http://www.carrabbas.com/

The only reason I would even bring this up is because they possibly serve the best fried calamari I've ever had.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: Fried calamari - Mon, 01/10/05 8:25 PM
I'm 1/2 Italian, so I've had some fried calamari in my day. But the absolute best restaurant calamari I've ever had is a recent discovery. The name of the place is (I'm not making this up) Rocco's Calamari on 64th Street and Fort hamilton Parkway in Brooklyn NY. Calamari is obvioulsy thier specialty, but they have other Italian specialties as well. There's a huge open air grocery store right across the street, so parking in next to impossible unless you know they have a small lot in back (there's no sign). Prices are very reasonble. ---Ken

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/11/05 9:58 AM
Bushie,

I agree, the calamari at Carrabas is pretty good. But as in all of the Outback owned restauarants I find the food to be tremendously salty. sometimes I can take it, other times it really is too much.

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 01/11/05 12:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

My grandson loved calamari -- until the first night he had to clean all the squid for a special at the restaurant where he was working.

When I ordered calamari in a local Greek owned restaurant, I asked the waitress if it was fresh, she rolled her eyes, and said yes. I asked because the last place I had calamari, it arrived all uniform in size, like so many breaded gaskets, which was what it tasted like. It was ground squid pooted into a tube form, cut like rubber bands, breaded and frozen, simply awful.

Back in the Greek owned restaurant, I shared my fresh calamari with my then seven year old daughter, who absolutely loved it. The next time we went there I made the mistake of asking her if she wanted the fried squid again....

It was six years before she had it again.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 01/12/05 7:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

When I ordered calamari in a local Greek owned restaurant, I asked the waitress if it was fresh, she rolled her eyes, and said yes.

Reminds me of a time when I ordered some "fresh-shucked" oysters in a local restaurant. I should have noticed that "flag", but I was young and foolish then. (Now, I'm just foolish.)

Although their color looked a little "off", I ate one. I immediately called the waitress over to complain that those things were WAY far from being fresh. She argued, "No, Sir, they ARE fresh. I saw them being opened."

Well, there's a difference between "fresh" and "freshly-shucked oysters that have been dead for a week".

hefried
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 01/12/05 8:28 PM
reminded me of a funny:
When i was in cooking school a chef/instructor told a story about how his kids were REALLLY REAllly pICKY EATERS and they'd go out to eat and order calimari~~~ not knowing that it was squid! After they were older ( at this point, teenagers) he finally told them it WAS squid , WHILE they were eating it. Apparantly, one of the girls was so freaked out she cried!!!!!
fuuuuuuny. Calimari, ummmm i love it. ive had it in brew pubs and gourmet restaurants. Greek style calimari is so good. i definitly like it better fried than chilled and marinated....
i have a cookbook called "the international squid cookbook"by issac cronin.....

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Fried calamari - Sun, 03/6/05 6:07 AM
My wife and I made calamari at home and told the kids it was "California Fish". First time or two they loved it. When we told them what it was, they made faces and noises and I don't think we ever made it again.

LarryR
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Fried calamari - Sun, 04/3/05 4:36 PM
Anyone know the sauce they serve on fried calamari ar Vincent's at Mott and Hester in Little Italy, Manhattan?

txtwister
  • Total Posts : 259
RE: Fried calamari - Sun, 04/3/05 9:40 PM
Here's another odd recommendation for really good fried calimari... The Spaghetti Warehouse chain. Don't know how they do it, because you know it has to be frozen - but it's wonderful. I'd consider buying a deep fryer if I knew the supplier.

sugarlander
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 04/19/05 9:35 AM
Another chain with fantastic calamari is Maggiano's. It is always hot, crispy and not tough, mostly small circles with occasional teeny babies. And the portion is huge.

Fred Ferris
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 04/20/05 4:57 PM
I've had calamari all over the country and, bar none, the absoulute best is at Duke's in Malibu....it's cut into strips rather than rings...and sooooooooo TENDER...not chewy at all...perfect after surfing snack (with a Mai Tai!)

Williamsburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 06/14/05 3:09 PM
I love calamari, but I didn't used to.
I'd had yucky chewy stuff when I was young and first experimenting in food beyond mac and cheese and PB&J.
Then I was visiting my sister in Chicago about 4 yrs ago and we went to a restaurant in Greektown (sorry don't remember the name). They cut the calamari very thin, you could almost see through it. Very lightly breaded and very crunchy. I don't remember if they served it with marinara sauce, but I doubt it. Last time we were there they were out. I cried (but the Sambuco made up for it - almost).

Here in Williamsburg VA there is one place that makes very good calamari - Cornerstone Grill. They serve the "tentacles" as you all have been saying. They serve it with a spinach ailio (sp?) type of sauce. One cavet - their service is ...I was about to say "quirky", but no it's just bad. They only reason we go there regularly is because some friend of mine bellydance in the bar once a month.

Another very good place in SE VA for calamari is The Baker's Crust (Richmond and Va Beach). Again, not a marinara sauce and uses all the bits. Apparently they use a little graham cracker in their breading for added crunch and a little sweetness.

Sorry for the long post
Cathy

pappy
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: Fried calamari - Tue, 06/14/05 9:32 PM
When Pappy was still an active firefighter, we used to cook up a nice batch of fried Calamari for the fellas now and then. Personally, I like the tentacles best... We had to drive on into Tarpon Springs where a friend of mine used to get just the freshest and best on the planet for us to buy. We had to clean them ourselves, but it was well worth the little bit of extra effort.

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELICIOUS...

Mrs. Pappy

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2202
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 06/15/05 1:36 PM
Like many of you, my first encounter with calamari was of the rubber band variety and for years I chose to take a pass on them (even when assured that "these are different") until a few years ago on a vacation in Spain. We found a little shack that served drinks and snacks on a Mediterranean beach (topless, I might add) near the town of Fuengirola that served fresh, whole, baby squid that were lightly battered and fried quickly. We devoured batch after batch with only a little salt and a sprinkle of vinegar. Try as I might, I've never been able to locate a source for these little treasures and I've been told by more than a few fishmongers that I probably never will. Lately, I've been making do with those served at Carrabba's which are very tender and good, but not quite the same.

dctourist
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 06/15/05 2:19 PM
I love 'em but they've been a bit taboo in my family the last couple years... You see, my niece's fetal name was Squidleigh (don't ask) - my mother in particular was hoping she would lose the nickname at birth when she got a REAL name, but no... she's 2+ now and still Squiddy or The Squid most of the time. I asked my sis recently if they were eating calamari again and they are, occasionally - in fact, Squiddy herself has eaten it! But she's still too young to appreciate the irony or to wonder about her parents...

Heartburn
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 06/15/05 2:21 PM
I live in Florida,but whenever in Monteray Ca we go to Rappa's
at the end of the wharf.
Best calamari I have had anywhere in the country

dctourist
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Fried calamari - Wed, 06/15/05 2:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dctourist

I love 'em but they've been a bit taboo in my family the last couple years... You see, my niece's fetal name was Squidleigh (don't ask) - my mother in particular was hoping she would lose the nickname at birth when she got a REAL name, but no... she's 2+ now and still Squiddy or The Squid most of the time. I asked my sis recently if they were eating calamari again and they are, occasionally - in fact, Squiddy herself has eaten it! But she's still too young to appreciate the irony or to wonder about her parents...

I should add that Squiddy is a most excellent, wide-ranging, and enthusiastic foodie at her young age, a credit to her family.

koloa
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Fried calamari - Thu, 03/23/06 9:57 PM

thats awesome. carrabbas is mine and my wife's favorite restaurant. the calamari ricardo + sauce is awesome, chicken marsala, chicken gratella, and the seafood pasta, all a+. sometimes even the ceasar salad is fresh, cold, and crisp. the chocolate dream is also very good.

quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Believe it or not, there really is a chain restaurant that serves great Italian food, and fantastic calamari. Carrabba's Italian Grill.

http://www.carrabbas.com/

The only reason I would even bring this up is because they possibly serve the best fried calamari I've ever had.

foodfan1
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Fried calamari - Thu, 05/18/06 2:47 PM
The Weathervane with locations in Portland,Maine Rutland,Vermont and Saratoga, NY makes a killer fried calamari.

jamis
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Fried calamari - Fri, 05/19/06 9:34 AM
Harry's Restaurant & Dairy Bar
149 Turnpike Road (Route 9), Westborough, Massachusetts

Excellent seafood (especially the calimari, which my wife gets every time). Very consistant.

They are open very late and actually have a fairly big/varied menu. Definately a 'greasy spoon' type atmosphere.

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Fried calamari - Fri, 05/19/06 9:39 AM
Welcome to roadfood foodfan1 and jamis...foodfan1..if you like a different twist on calamari...there is a place in Latham...Otis & Oliver's on Rte 7 located in Cocca's motel in the site that used to be Buckshots....they dip it in just a tad of flour and flash fry it..so it's crispy...but not bready etc...then serve it over homemade chunky marinara and throw some cherry pepper rings on top....it's fantastic...and you really get to taste the calamari instead of breading and tarter sauce....though..I do like Weathervane when they have fried smelts!!!

foodfan1
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Fried calamari - Fri, 10/19/07 3:32 AM
hey guys, just thought I'd mention that this past weekend, me and my dad made fried calamari ourselves, and man was it easy.