Alaska

Sirloin
2003/05/10 21:37:13
Hey.......why is Alaska the only state not to have any listings?? We have AWESOME roadfood! I could send you digital pictures and complete descriptions about our fabulous fresh halibut, king salmon, reindeer sausages, smoked products and much much more. Please do not forget about the red-headed stepchild that is the 49th state up here! And no, we do not eat whales, their blubber, seals or the such!
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Alaska 2003/05/10 22:38:43
If you post a review, photos etc. like the 800 others on the site, then we will more then welcome your state into the Roadfood.com Union!
pigface
Cheeseburger
RE: Alaska 2003/05/11 18:22:03
Send pictures of King Crab-A-thons
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Alaska 2003/05/11 18:47:50
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Hey.......why is Alaska the only state not to have any listings?? We have AWESOME roadfood! I could send you digital pictures and complete descriptions about our fabulous fresh halibut, king salmon, reindeer sausages, smoked products and much much more. Please do not forget about the red-headed stepchild that is the 49th state up here! And no, we do not eat whales, their blubber, seals or the such!

When I was in Point Barrow last fall, I did see whale meat, seal meat, warus meat and various other delicious things drying outside the residence of the natives that reside there. I observed natives fishing and harpooning from the ice floes and being successful at it.

The best restaurant I ate at while there was in Fairbanks at a facility located inside the Springhill Suites by Marriott. It was not related to Marriott, but leased space inside. I got halibut that was fried and battered along with cole slaw, and french fries. Fried fish is fried fish, but this was really good and I could not get enough. The Springhill Suites were brand new, the shops around the restaurant and hotel were excellent, the hotel view of the river was outstanding and the Sandhill Cranes were just departing providing us with an exceptional view at the University of Alaska at Fairbanks.

It was in the fall of the year (9/12/-19) and the trees provided us miles of beautiful golden yellow. Sometimes, I drove for 15-20 miles and seeing nothing north-south-east-west but golden yellow aspen trees.

At the same time I reccomend the Anchorage Open Air Market with the super selection of Alaska food, gifts,art and crafts.

I found a lot of the food around Anchorage very touristy.

I am sure that locals would not agree as they know where to go, but that is what I found.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
can
Junior Burger
RE: Alaska 2003/05/12 13:35:03
How about I think it's Gwennie's in Anchorage? Yea, tourist, but the food is good!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Alaska 2003/05/13 09:54:59
Most of Alaska is touristy but thats all they have going for them. The best places I ate where all in the Fairbanks area. The Chena Pump House is definately a tourist place but its open all year long so it has a good local following. Scenic with a big deck overlooking the Chena River, very good food and service. Also the Turtle Club, less tourist and very good. And if you really want to hit the high note of a tourist place, the Alaskan Salmon Bake has great food if you don't mind the gold rush theme playhouse and saloon thats part of the complex. My friends make a point of saying they are locals when making reservations or they just don't go out as much during the tourist season.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Alaska 2003/05/13 11:03:33
Paul, where HAVEN'T you been??? I bow! I bow!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Alaska 2003/05/15 15:28:46
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

Paul, where HAVEN'T you been??? I bow! I bow!

My travel fortunately is on the company. My job takes me everywhere. Since I am getting old, I generally take an extra day if it is somewhere I like or have not been before. It also gives me a chance to sample local cuisine.

All states, countries have road food. Some of the best food I ever had was in places where I could not pronounce the name of the city, understand the language or read the menu. Happened to me many times in Germany, Denmark, Italy and probably Tennessee

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
KokomoJoe
Cheeseburger
RE: Alaska 2003/05/24 08:59:12
When we were in Anchorage a couple of years ago we went to The Glacier Brew House 737 W 5th Ave Anchorage AK 907-274-2739. It was crowded and a little noisey and a bit pricey BUT the food was fantastic! I had salmon almost every day while in AK and their salmon served on a "plank" was outstanding as were the mashed potatoes and fresh veggies that were served with it! There was quite a crowd there but we were seated right away and as I recall there was a bit of a problem with the service at first. I think what happened was the waitstaff got confused as to who "had" our table but once that was established our waiter was EXCELLENT! He redeemed himself! He recommended almost all that we tried and everything was great! But if you like bread pudding...we both LOVE it...go there for dessert ONLY and order theirs! It's a huge molded mound of relatively light bread pudding with raisins and nuts and it's topped with REAL fresh whipped cream OR "whiskey sauce" that my husband thought was "outstanding"!I consider myself a connoisseur of bread pudding and this is tie with the "beignet bread pudding" I just had (April 2003) in New Orleans!
Also just outside the "downtown" area of Anchorage is "Gwennies Old Alaskan Restaurant" 4333 Spenard Rd. Anchorage AK 907-243-2090. Most tourists are pointed in their direction but I will say we ate 2 meals there (which is unusual for us when we are in a place for only a week we like to try something different every time we eat out!)and both meals were excellent! Good "home cooked" food with good prices and the atmosphere is worth it even if the food was bad! LOL Be sure to ask to be seated upstairs! It's more fun! There are a lot of locals there too which is always a good sign!They have reindeer sausage and other "local stuff"...all very good!
We also ate in downtown Anchorage at a Mexican Restaurant not to far from the hotel (we were at the Captain Cook Hotel)called "La Mexicana" 900 W. 6th Ave. Anchorage AK 99501 907-274-7678. As you walk in they have a huge machine making FRESH tortillas and were they delicious! They bring hot homemade taco chips and plenty of salsa right to your table and it's excellent! I can't remember what we ordered but I remember it was very good and the prices were excellent especially considering we were in "downtown Anchorage". By the way...for those of you traveling to AK or thinking about it...don't be scared off by cost of travel and food! The prices weren't any higher than "downtown Boston" believe me! We were there for a "conference" and some people from small towns in midwest thought the food prices were high but anyone who lived near a metropolitan city dissagreed! I'll try to come back and post about restaurants on the Kenai peninsula (in Seward and Homer AK), if I can remember them!Bon appetite!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Alaska 2003/05/29 01:22:25
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

If you post a review, photos etc. like the 800 others on the site, then we will more then welcome your state into the Roadfood.com Union!

We have posted a review and pictures taken Memorial Day weekend in Homer, AK. Will continue to send more info on AK roadfood as the summer and our journeys progress. Thanks for your consideration.
Lisa Lee and Bob Zemanek