Chasen's Chili

gschwim
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points : 0
Chasen's Chili - Thu, 01/6/05 5:59 AM
One would not expect Hollywood to be famous for chili, but the best chili I ever made is this recipe for the chili once served at the famous Chasen's Restaurant, in Hollywood:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/gmeat/chasens-chili-recipe.html

I departed slightly from the recipe and used ground beef and ground pork, and left out the 1/2 cup of butter (seemed like too much cholesterol in these health-conscious times). It tastes different from traditional Texas chili and is delicious.

Finally, you do need to use the pinto beans -- they are essential to the taste -- and, as the recipe specifies, you should use dried beans, not canned, prepared as the recipe dictates.

Delicious! Trust me.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Chasen's Chili - Thu, 01/6/05 6:57 AM
I trust you, I trust you. You are right, this is an excellent chili. Next time, I'd add the butter. It really "pops" the flavors, if that's the correct term.

fcbaldwin
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Chasen's Chili - Fri, 01/7/05 11:10 AM

The Chasen's recipe is one of my favorites too. I like it best when I follow the recipe with no variations. The Gepbhardt's Chili Powder is one of the secrets to it. Serve this stuff with grated cheddar cheese on top and some diced raw onion....man!

Frank

gschwim
RE: Chasen's Chili - Fri, 01/7/05 11:24 AM
Yes, I always top it with chopped onion -- sweet onions, such as vidalia. Sour cream is good on top, too.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Chasen's Chili - Fri, 01/7/05 11:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by gschwim

Yes, I always top it with chopped onion -- sweet onions, such as vidalia. Sour cream is good on top, too.

Where does Gebharts' chili powder originate from? We only have "Mexene", "McCormick" and such. The packet in the Carroll Shelby's is all I'll use, as it's better that anything that's available to me, instore anyway.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17826
RE: Chasen's Chili - Fri, 01/7/05 11:38 AM
Ground meat? Beans? And they call this chili?

fcbaldwin
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Chasen's Chili - Fri, 01/7/05 11:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Ground meat? Beans? And they call this chili?

Yep. I put it on top of some cooked fluffy white rice sometimes too.

You can get the Gepbhardt's at http://www.mildbills.com
(they are really nice people there)

Frank

gschwim
RE: Chasen's Chili - Fri, 01/7/05 12:18 PM
You can buy Gephardt's chili powder at Texmex.net:

http://www.texmex.net/Products/spices.htm#gebhardt

There's a link to an order form at the bottom of the page. I called them on the phone for some chili advice and, I think, ended up ordering over the phone. The guy was very helpful.

To make the shipping charge as cost-effective as possible, I ordered the big, 5lb. size. That was at least two years ago and I still haven't used it up

You'll notice that they have other texmex products, too. At the same time I ordered the Gebhardt's, I also ordered their cumin, liquid smoke and their hamburger seasoning; you mix it with the raw hamburger before grilling. It's delicious.

And... the guy I spoke to on the phone threw in a few free dried ancho chili pods, for free!

sportfisher
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chasen's Chili - Fri, 05/27/05 1:36 PM
Interesting. I have used that recipe almost unchanged since I received it from KSFO, a radio staion in San Francisco in the '60s. My mimeographed version (remember mimeographs?) called for 1 lb. of peppers, and since it was my first try at chili, I assumed "chili" must use chili peppers and I used 1 lb. of diced jalapeno's. First taste fantastic until the jalapenos got to the back of my tongue. Ouch! I still used jalapeno's, but only about 4-5 and a pound of Green Bell Peppers. I think I have cooked that recipe well over 100 times, and its a family and friends favorite.