Chicken Riggies

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
  • Reward points : 0
Chicken Riggies - Fri, 01/14/05 12:22 PM
Ok. This article showed up in the news today but doesn't actually say what the dish is (other than chicken and rigatoni). Can someone in upstate NY please explain exactly what a chicken riggie is and how it is prepared.

Utica builds festival around popular chicken 'riggie' dish

UTICA, N.Y. Buffalo has chicken wings, Baltimore has crab cakes and Philadelphia has its cheese steaks.

What does Utica, New York, have to offer in the way of regional cuisine?

Chicken riggies.

The dish combines chicken with rigatoni pasta and other ingredients. It's a popular item in Utica, where many local chefs claim to make the best riggies.

In the spring, they'll be able to put their recipes to the test when Utica hosts its first Riggiefest.

The fund-raising event in May will let the public sample the offerings and determine which restaurant serves the best chicken riggies.

Founder Dave Gibson says it's another way for people to take pride in central New York.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 01/14/05 2:37 PM
Here is a recipe that I found. (I have eaten in Italian restaurants in Utica, NY and never noticed it on the menu.)

CHICKEN RIGGIES

INGREDIENTS:
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup butter
5 cloves garlic, minced
10 tablespoons minced shallot
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
salt and pepper to taste
1 (4 ounce) jar sweet red peppers, drained and julienned
1/2 cup fresh tomato sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 pint heavy cream
1 (8 ounce) package uncooked rigatoni pasta

DIRECTIONS:
In a large saucepan, heat oil and melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and saute until soft, then add chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste and saute for 8 to 10 minutes, or until halfway cooked.
Add peppers and stir in tomato sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes. Add sherry and simmer for another 10 minutes, then stir in cream and simmer for 10 minutes more. Toss all with hot, cooked pasta and serve.

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 01/14/05 2:42 PM
Sounds pretty good. Thanks Chezkatie

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 01/14/05 3:06 PM
Heck, that's Rigatoni con il pollo. And they call it Chicken Riggies? Sheesh!

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 01/14/05 3:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Heck, that's Rigatoni con il pollo. And they call it Chicken Riggies? Sheesh!

LOL.....no wonder I never saw Chicken Riggies listed as a menu item on an Italian menu.

cindyloo
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 01/14/05 3:57 PM
Is it just me, or does 10 tablespoons of minced shallots seem like an awful lot for that recipe?

Candy O
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Chicken Riggies - Tue, 04/12/05 9:38 PM
Nicky and Johnny's Restaurant at the Ramada in New Hartford, NY have Riggies on both the lunch and dinner menu. They have the BEST Riggies in the Utica area.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: Chicken Riggies - Tue, 05/31/05 1:19 AM
Love the Chicken Riggies! Grew up on them in the red sauce city of Rome, NY. The Plaza Restaurant, the Franklin Hotel, Teddy's Restaurant, and the Suburban Restaurant all in Rome serve really good versions. I've made it a few timws and the large amount of shallots (or onions as I use is totally on the mark-about 10 tablespoons). My trick is that I grate the onions on a box grater to extract the onion juice and add it to the dish, but also to help break down the onion more so that by just mincing. It helps to reduce the overpowering flavor. I also use an arrabiata sauce as most local restaurants serve it spicy (just the way I like it).

galicredstone
RE: Chicken Riggies - Sun, 06/12/05 12:18 PM
Hey there. I am a chef at Teddys Restaurant in Rome, an dI cooked the Riggiefest a couple weeks back. As you may know, we won the Award for Best Riggies and Best Service. It was a very proud moment for us.

We use a combination of green and red bell peppers, onions, sliced mushrooms, olives, grilled chicken, and sauce. Our sauce is a creamy varaiation, including marinara and alfredo sauce.

You probably won't see this item on any menu outside of Central NY, as it is a local dish. I've lived in a few states, an no-one outside of the area has ever heard of these.

Anyway, they are a great item, and I encourage you to make a batch today.

If you're a vegetarian, just substitute portabella mushrooms for chicken.

itslois
RE: Chicken Riggies - Mon, 09/26/05 4:36 PM
Hey...Chicken Riggies are the bomb!!! I introduced the dish in Memphis TN at a Mediterrean restaurant that I was cooking in..they went crazy!!! I use black olives, artichoke hearts, white wine, and lots of parm!!!

mfe
RE: Chicken Riggies - Tue, 01/3/06 8:03 PM
HA, I have to laugh at the post about chicken riggies being the same as Rigatoni con il pollo. Get real. Where did you see that they are the same. Let's see, usually Rigatoni con il pollo is made with a Parmigiano cream sauce. Hmm that seems to be missing from the Riggies recipe. Hmm. I guess this person does not know the difference

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3662
RE: Chicken Riggies - Tue, 01/3/06 8:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mfe

HA, I have to laugh at the post about chicken riggies being the same as Rigatoni con il pollo. Get real. Where did you see that they are the same. Let's see, usually Rigatoni con il pollo is made with a Parmigiano cream sauce. Hmm that seems to be missing from the Riggies recipe. Hmm. I guess this person does not know the difference

I am no authority on these Chicken Riggies, even though I lived in Utica area for quite some time. But what one person thinks may be just as correct as another person's take is on this recipe. This probably accounts for the fact that there are 1000's of cookbooks out there.

Edd
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Chicken Riggies - Tue, 07/11/06 1:06 PM
I know chicken riggies. And the very best place to get them is Frnakies Restaurant in Old Forge, New York. It is all about the sauce!! Frankies has the best sauce. Most restaurants use a pink or a white thick sauce. Frankies uses a "white marinara sauce". I would like to know how a marinara sauce is white. If you like chicken riggies then you better go to Old Forge and stand in line like everybody else to get the very best. Frankies secret is his sauce. If anybody out there knows how to make a white marinara sauce please enter it here.

caver
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Chicken Riggies - Wed, 07/12/06 5:49 PM
White marinara?

I have a feeling it probably involves a lot of cream and a white cheese. Maybe some wine.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 07/28/06 11:37 AM
this sounds like something I threw together the other day, chicken breast chunks, pasta (I think it was penne actually), bacon, tomatoes, green onions, garlic, alfredo sauce, sour cream and mozzarella.

vpap
RE: Chicken Riggies - Thu, 09/21/06 11:37 PM
ok well, im actually straight out of utica and have lived there my whole life...the person who called it rigatoni con il pollo..and the enxt person said thats why they never saw it on an italian menu...well to let you know, utica is a large italian area and riggies are a local dish so maybe you should know your facts first. also people who are arguing about white and red or pink sauce...its really just ur preference on taste...ive had all (and red is just marinara and pink is that with heavy cream) and enjoy the different tastes so before you say anything try them all. Also..oldforge person and rome people....shutup..the best chicken riggies come straight out of Utica, their hometown!!

ps. jennifer-you are waaaayy off!

vpap
RE: Chicken Riggies - Thu, 09/21/06 11:40 PM
oh yes...i forgot...chezkatie or whatever....your recipe is for vodka riggies not chicken riggies...vodka riggies have shallots and wine..not chicken riggies! sorry (ive been eating these my whole life people and not to mention its my favorite dish)

billyboy
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 09/22/06 3:12 AM
Exactly vpap! Its all about taste and preference. Food is like all art forms...subjective. I'm a native Roman and love the riggies at Teddy's and the Suburban Cafe. So the best is really about what's best for the individual.

ryeguy23
RE: Chicken Riggies - Sun, 01/14/07 3:01 PM
Being from the Utica area I love riggies living in Oswego now no one knows wht a riggie is. My personnal favorite order of riggies comes from just outside Utica at McGills in schhuyler just head east on Herkimer rd. I'm not sure how far exactly but just keep your eyes open on the right hand side you'll see it.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Chicken Riggies - Sun, 01/14/07 3:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mfe

I just saw this post. Guess what? You're flat-out wrong. It is made with tomatoes, tomato sauce, cream, butter, whatever floats the cook's boat at the time he or she is making it.

only one
RE: Chicken Riggies - Wed, 10/17/07 8:55 PM
very well. Thanks,chezkatie.

tommyb
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 10/26/07 5:13 PM
Talk about a tempest in a teapot...I know utica is looking for some claim to fame other than just being the armpit of the world (an honor it has to share with rome, by the way...) This is pretty much rigatoni with sauce and chicken. Teddy's riggies are on a par with chef boyardee, and the last time I ate at the Franklin the veal tasted like roadkill possum, and yes I have had it. Take my advice:abandon upstate NY. Everyone else has, and if the cuisine is keeping you there, you have never eaten at a real restaurant. The tipoff is the question, "Do you want fries with that?" What a backwards hole in the wall

oh yes...i forgot...chezkatie or whatever....your recipe is for vodka riggies not chicken riggies...vodka riggies have shallots and wine..not chicken riggies! sorry (ive been eating these my whole life people and not to mention its my favorite dish)

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 10/26/07 6:35 PM
This debate between Chicken Riggies and Rigatoni con il pollo reminds me of episode of the Simpsons where principal skinner calls the hamburgers steamed hams. When questioned about it from superintendent Chaumers, he says that steamed hams is a regional dialect from upstate New York. Chaumers says that he is from utica and he never heard of steamed hams before. Skinner responds, on no it's an Albany expression.

For those interested, here is a link to a Simpsons fan site that give the complete conversation about Steamed Hams.

http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?page_code=42

billyboy
RE: Chicken Riggies - Fri, 10/26/07 6:41 PM
I don't know that I would call it the "armpit of the world". I grew up and lived there (Rome/Utica) for my first 26 years so I am a bit biased. However, I got out as there wasn't much careerwise for me and had to seek my fortunes elsewhere. There is some pretty good food to be found in the area: Symeon's (Greek), Tom Cavallos (Italian), Hemstroughts and Florentine (bakeries), Voss' BBQ. Rome is definitely dealing with the loss of a LOT of really good restaurants (especially breakfast places). There used to be Liberty lane (formerly Candyland), The Suburban, The Home Bakery, Cinderella Bakery, DiBerdino's Bakery, Roman Pastry, The Scramble, the Hollywood, Marina's Ristorante and Fric-n-Frac's Flying Food Factory just to name a few. Now Rome has Denny's, Dunkin Donuts, Applebee's, KFC, Mickey D's, BK, Subway, Wendy's, et al.

I've had the riggies at Teddy's many times and have always loved them, though I prefer to make them at home. I've also eaten my share of Hector Boyardi's fare in college and it's like apples and oranges, man. No comparison. I've had great meals and some so-so meals at the Franklin. Sorry to hear about the veal experience.

CNY has a ways to go culinarily speaking, but a hole in the wall seems a bit dramatic. Just my two cents.
quote:
Originally posted by tommyb

Talk about a tempest in a teapot...I know utica is looking for some claim to fame other than just being the armpit of the world (an honor it has to share with rome, by the way...) This is pretty much rigatoni with sauce and chicken. Teddy's riggies are on a par with chef boyardee, and the last time I ate at the Franklin the veal tasted like roadkill possum, and yes I have had it. Take my advice:abandon upstate NY. Everyone else has, and if the cuisine is keeping you there, you have never eaten at a real restaurant. The tipoff is the question, "Do you want fries with that?" What a backwards hole in the wall