Pizza in St. Louis

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 78
ClawedLeMew
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 01/15/05 10:37 PM
I must have tried a dozen pizza places in St. Louis.

They all stunk.

Even the ones that were good, stunk.

I know, that doesn't sound like it makes sense, but they make this very thin crusted St. Louis style pizza. Even when made with great ingredients, it is not what I would call pizza.

I'll probably be spending some more time there in February or March...

Is there anywhere that has a New York or Chicago style or any normal kind of pizza that is any good? And please, don't say Papa John's.

Shane
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 01/15/05 11:54 PM
Ah, St. Louis - not the best town for pizza. I grew up there and always want an Imo's when I'm in town, but it's not great pizza. I think it's more like comfort food for me...

I still prefer a thin crust though. Now I live in Chicago, and I can not stand the local deep dish pizza - it's just too much.

There is a good place in Kirkwood (was mentioned somewhere on this site) can't remember the name though. Had some good reviews... Maybe try a search...

Shane
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 01/15/05 11:56 PM
Fortell's? Seemed more East Coast Style.

rwarn17588
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 01/16/05 12:15 AM
I have to reluctantly agree that St. Louis pizza is disappointing. St. Louis does many food things well, but pizza is not one of them.

As former residents of the area, the best place in town we encountered was a place called the Black Thorn Pub on Wyoming Avenue near Tower Grove Park. It serves Chicago-style pizza quite credibly, with big thick crust and a dark red sauce that's terrific.

Here's a link:

http://www.gatewaytothewest.com/blackthorn/

There is a Pizzeria Uno in Kirkwood, but the chains aren't as good as the original Chicago restaurant. There also is a terrific pizza and Italian pasta place on the square in Carlinville, Ill., but its name escapes me right now.

Other than that, just drive to Chicago.

gatorbreath
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 01/16/05 10:01 AM
I have not tried this yet but it does not look like traditional St. Louis pizza.

http://www.creativeon-line.com/racanellis.html

jrhughes
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 01/16/05 5:27 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the place in St. Louis (I think it's there) where you try to eat a ginormous pizza within an hour to win $500? I saw it on the Travel Channel or Food Network once. I've been trying to find the name of the place and some details about it for a while. Any help would be great.
Thanks

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 01/18/05 8:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ClawedLeMew

I must have tried a dozen pizza places in St. Louis.

I'll probably be spending some more time there in February or March...

Is there anywhere that has a New York or Chicago style or any normal kind of pizza that is any good? And please, don't say Papa John's.
A friend of mine has been working in St. Louis for a couple of years now and he likes to go to Talayna's (the St. Charles location) for pizza and Italian food:

Talayna's At The Park
(314) 367-7788
310 De Baliviere Ave
St Louis, MO

Talayna's Italian Restaurant
(314) 434-6700
510 Westport Plz
St Louis, MO

Talayna's
340 North Main
St Charles, MO
636-940-9447

Sorry I can't give you a personal recommendation but I trust his judgment.

Brad O.

gatorbreath
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 01/18/05 2:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jrhughes

Has anyone ever heard of the place in St. Louis (I think it's there) where you try to eat a ginormous pizza within an hour to win $500? I saw it on the Travel Channel or Food Network once. I've been trying to find the name of the place and some details about it for a while. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Believe this is what you saw. The menu has a 28" pizza listed. Don't know about the $500 though.
http://www.pointersdelivery.com/

Extreme Glow
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 01/18/05 4:10 PM
For thick style pizzas in St. Louis, I would recommend Black Thorn or Pizzeria della Piazza.

Black Thorn is a sports bar just off the South Grand restaurant area. BT won the Sauce Magazine reader's poll for best pizza the last two years.
3735 Wyoming St. St. Louis, MO 63116
314-776-0534

Pizzeria della Piazza is on The Hill at Hereford and Daggett.
5100 Daggett St. Louis, MO 63110
314-762-9100

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 01/18/05 6:51 PM
I LOVE St. Louis-style pizza, although the chains have screwed it up. Here's a thread where y'all might glean some good recs.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=780

michaelgemmell
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 01/18/05 8:18 PM
There is a stylish Italian restaurant just north of St. Louis University where my friend there and I eat every summer when I visit. All the food is really just excellent, but they have a pizza I dream about the rest of the year, with 8 ingredients arranged like spokes on a wheel, so someone who doesn't like one of the ingredients can avoid what they don't like. I will get the name of that place and get back to you all.

michaelgemmell
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 01/19/05 1:53 PM
She wrote:

It's Vito's on Lindell near St. Louis University. Hand-thrown crust baked in a wood-burning oven. The pizza we ate had portobello mushrooms, proscuitto, artichoke hearts and shrimp. They also do a four-cheese version.

UCCF
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 02/5/05 12:05 AM
quote:

Thanks

That's Talayna's, the one by Forest Park. It is (well, was -- I graduated about 10 years back) a huge Wash. U. hangout. I was in there one day when a couple of guys went for the money. Let me say, the pizza is enormous -- the pan fit almost exactly the dimensions of the tabletop. The rules are that no more than two people can eat on it, you have to complete in one hour, you can't leave the table, and if you throw up you're disqualified.

Talayna's has terrific pizza. They do a New York style pizza (the Manhattan, I believe) that's pretty authentic (I lived in NYC for about three years, so I'm a pretty good judge). Their St. Louis style pizza is excellent as well -- much better than Imo's.

And for those who say St. Louis style pizza is teh suck, it's just an acquired taste.

Extreme Glow
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 02/10/05 6:12 PM
The pizza with the $500 contest is Pointer's in Richmond Heights.

The Talayna's at McCausland and Forest Park Parkway (next to WU) closed many years ago due to a gruesome crime outside the front door. There's still one nearby on De Baliviere.

Racanelli's bills itself as NY style pizza and a lot of people do like it but I don't see it.

I still say Pizzeria della Piazza on The Hill. However, be forewarned that a thick or stuffed pizza could take a long time to come to your table as explained on the menu. Regulars call ahead to have a stuffed pizza ready by the time they arrive.

Extreme Glow
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 03/1/05 7:21 PM
For a New York style pizza, I would recommend Pizza A Go Go at the corner of Scanlan and Ivanhoe. The owner's been making pizza since 1967. Beware, they serve pizza and soda only... no pasta, salads, etc. They open at 4PM every day except Wednesday. Cash only.

BTW, there's a nice family-run Greek place across the street (Colossus).

UCCF
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 03/5/05 5:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow

The pizza with the $500 contest is Pointer's in Richmond Heights.

The Talayna's at McCausland and Forest Park Parkway (next to WU) closed many years ago due to a gruesome crime outside the front door. There's still one nearby on De Baliviere.

Racanelli's bills itself as NY style pizza and a lot of people do like it but I don't see it.

I still say Pizzeria della Piazza on The Hill. However, be forewarned that a thick or stuffed pizza could take a long time to come to your table as explained on the menu. Regulars call ahead to have a stuffed pizza ready by the time they arrive.

UCCF
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 03/5/05 5:51 PM
quote:

Really? Any details? It was kind of shifty and dimly lit over there, but I also had friends who lived a block off toward Delmar and never had any trouble.

Extreme Glow
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 03/5/05 6:17 PM
A young female customer was leaving the place and was robbed at gunpoint. Apparently, she wasn't cooperative enough and was shot and killed.

It's a decent area. In fact, The Loop is expanding east into the city.

http://www.ucityloop.com/

tomski912
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 03/8/05 4:24 PM
Another good place is Two Nice Guys Pizza on Manchester Road in Kirkwood.

Extreme Glow
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 03/10/05 7:15 PM
Clawed,

We are hoping for a report on your experiences.

StL Dan
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Fri, 07/8/05 2:13 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm......Imo's.......

gatorbreath
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Fri, 07/8/05 9:32 PM
I was listening to the John Carney radio show one night and he mentioned in passing that Father Dominic (PBS Bread Baking Show) said that a place here in St. Louis had the best crust he'd ever eaten. The place he named was That'sa Nice'a Pizza. I had never tried it though it's been there a long time. I was in the area one day and gave them a try. They're located in a little 4 shop strip mall. They have 3 tables with plastic chairs. They serve traditional looking STL pizza. I ordered for carryout. Gotta admit my initial reaction to the taste was less than wow. However, when finished I couldn't help but notice the taste of the crust lingered on and on. Now every month or so I just have to get one. I especially like it because it doesn't have to be loaded with toppings to make it tasty, thereby reducing the cost.

That'sa Nice'a Pizza
11726 Baptist Church
(at Tesson Ferry)
St. Louis, MO 63128
314-842-1211

jraphs
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 07/10/05 1:33 PM
Black Thorn is great pizza - especially the thick/Chicago crust. They'll almost always quote an hour/hour and a half wait when you order, but that's a great chance to enjoy some beer and air hockey. It's a bar, though, so don't bring the kiddies. They also serve Black Thorn pizza at Lemmon's on Hampton (or is it Gravois?) in a slightly more spacious setting.

Fortel's Pizza Den is the only St. Louis style this NYer can enjoy. It's really fantastic, but only if you get one of the mega-topping pizzas like the Bob's or Shelley's Deluxe. A plain cheese pie will disappoint. I've only eaten at the Fortel's in Affton at McKenzie & Heege. A great choice since it's a 5 min drive from Ted Drewes for dessert. I don't like the lighting inside - it's too bright - but the outside patio is great at nighttime.

La Pizza on Delmar west of the Loop is a pretty good attempt at NY-style pizza. The kind of place that I can enjoy for lunch, but I'd never bring a NYer visiting town over there.

fastfood
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 07/13/05 2:23 AM
Try cecial whitakers or Imo's,they are the 2 top runners in my opinion. Never buy domino's their pizza is good i'll admit but they have nothing speacial about them.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 07/13/05 7:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by fastfood

Try cecial whitakers or Imo's,they are the 2 top runners in my opinion. Never buy domino's their pizza is good i'll admit but they have nothing speacial about them.

What,no Arby's pizza?????

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3699
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 07/13/05 8:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

No, but maybe he has a job as a part-time Domino's driver.

fastfood
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 07/14/05 12:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

No but we are supposed to be getting pizza bites soon. The arby's stores that are not owned by U.S. Beef Corp. that are in the north has them already.

jlobough
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 07/14/05 5:35 AM
Tiki, did you have to get him started? lol

long dog
  • Total Posts : 295
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 07/14/05 6:12 PM
here's a link to the FAQ section of Pointer's regarding the rules for the pizza payoff.

http://www.pointersdelivery.com/faq.htm

Basically, a team of two has an hour to eat the 28" pie 2 meat topping pie which weighs 10 pounds.

Reservations a day in advance

Cost - $42

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 08/3/05 11:00 PM
Among local pizza joints, I like both the big St. Louis Chains, Imos' and Cecil Whittakers. But, I think I like Cecil's just a bit better. They have good salads, too. I grew up with my aunt and uncle running pizza joints under both chains, and have ate plenty of both.

Besides the cracker thin crust, the other thing that is particular to St. Louis style pizza is provelone (not provel) cheese, instead of the traditional mozzerella. It seems like few outside of St. L have heard of Provel cheese.

Extreme Glow
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 08/4/05 6:03 PM
There is a new place in St. Louis you might want to try if you don't like St. Louis style pizza. Feraro's Jersey Pizza just opened in Soulard at 10th and Geyer. The owner is a Joisey transplant. You can get a whole pizza fixed to order or you can buy it by the slice. I stopped by for lunch today and had a slice, soda, and salad for six bucks.

I read on another thread a guy stating that he had a cardinal rule never to eat pizza outside Chicago. Give me a break! Just because pizza is not like what you had growing up, it's still pizza. It seems that pizza discussion with some people is just as contentious as religion and politics. It would be a much nicer place if people were more open-minded about their religion, politics, AND pizza. Variety is the spice of life.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 08/4/05 7:29 PM
quote:

I read on another thread a guy stating that he had a cardinal rule never to eat pizza outside Chicago. Give me a break! Just because pizza is not like what you had growing up, it's still pizza.

Have you ever had Pizza in Seattle??????!!!!!!!

samiam00
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 08/14/05 12:37 PM
quote:

i hadn't heard that story. sounds more like an urban legend to me, as that's not really a good reason to move an entire business, especially when the neighborhood they moved to wasn't a distinct step up but is more like a comparable neighborhood. i had always heard that that location moved to debaliviere because wash u. bought their building. i remember seeing a news story about it when that happened back in '96 (or was it early '97?).

i used to enjoy going to talayna's, but the last time i went (about a month ago), the chicago-style was no longer chicago-style, which was quite disappointing, so that's the last time we go back there. granted, their other food is fine, and the taste of the not-so-chicago-style chicago-style pizza was okay, but it wasn't what i was looking for.

for thin crust, fortel's is our favorite. imo's is fine if you like "cheese n crackers", but it's not my style of pizza, and i find it way too expensive for the amount of food you actually get.

i dig black thorn's pizza, but it's a bit out-of-the-way for us, and my wife is pregnant, so bars are not high on our list of places to visit. we haven't tried lemmon's (on gravois) yet, but if it's as good as black thorn, i can see that becoming our talayna's replacement.

if only lou malnati's could open up a location in st. louis!

nancyanne
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 08/14/05 6:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shane

Ah, St. Louis - not the best town for pizza. I grew up there and always want an Imo's when I'm in town, but it's not great pizza. I think it's more like comfort food for me...

I still prefer a thin crust though. Now I live in Chicago, and I can not stand the local deep dish pizza - it's just too much.

There is a good place in Kirkwood (was mentioned somewhere on this site) can't remember the name though. Had some good reviews... Maybe try a search...

nancyanne
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 08/14/05 6:42 PM
I just went to Feraro's Jersey style pizza in Soulard on 10th street and it is definately the best pizza in St. Louis. I am from New Jersey and have lived in St. Louis for 20 years and have dreamed of having a really good Jersey shore pizza available here in town. It's like a little slice ( no pun intended ) of seaside heights boardwalk right here in the midwest!
Thank you thank you thank you!

Extreme Glow
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 08/14/05 7:35 PM
Sam I Am,

It's no urban legend. I remember it quite well. The building has been rehabbed with several store fronts and one is now a coffee shop. I would like to know what they did with all the stained glass.

Nancy Anne,

Feraro's is good. You might also want to try Pizza A Go Go on Ivanhoe at Scanlan (near Arsenal and I-44). Dinner only, opens at 4PM and closed Wed.

chefmaria
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 08/21/05 11:02 AM
I grew up in West County. I'm now a chef living in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I've travelled all over the world. Having tried pizza from Italy to New Zealand, I still get cravings for Cecil Whittakers. I have tried to recreate their sauce and cheese combinations in my own kitchens but just can't quite get it. Pizza should be simple and true to taste and that's what their pizza is all about. Cecil Whittakers is definately the quintissential St.Louis-style thin crust pizza. Boun appetito!

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 08/31/05 9:23 PM
Being a native St. Louisan, I grew up on pies from Imos, Cecil Whittakers, Rigazzi's, & Pietros. The provel cheese is what makes the pizza to me. I don't care for mozzerella cheese on pizza...

MrValiant
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Fri, 09/16/05 12:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by nancyanne

I just went to Feraro's Jersey style pizza in Soulard on 10th street and it is definately the best pizza in St. Louis. I am from New Jersey and have lived in St. Louis for 20 years and have dreamed of having a really good Jersey shore pizza available here in town. It's like a little slice ( no pun intended ) of seaside heights boardwalk right here in the midwest!
Thank you thank you thank you!

MrValiant
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Fri, 09/16/05 12:21 AM
My wife and I own a Pizzeria in Lavallette and doubt that you can replicate the taste in St Louis! Is the dough the same thin crust you get on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights? Is the cheese whole milk mozz? Is the sauce hand made with a 50 year old secret recipie, only made by the owner himself? If the answer to all these is yes you still probalbly can't get it right! And to Nancy, they are making a movie called "Greetings from the shore" here in Lavalette this week, keep a lookout for it, it will send you back 20 years!

Bobo Bonobo
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 03/14/06 6:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

I LOVE St. Louis-style pizza, although the chains have screwed it up. Here's a thread where y'all might glean some good recs.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=780

I'm a native St. Louisan, and I always warn visitors to avoid StL Style pizza. It is slimy, and no wonder, as it is made with process cheese.

I'm sorry, but that stuff (provel) isn't cheese.

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Tue, 03/14/06 7:13 PM
St. Louis style pizza is definitely an acquired taste. Sometimes I crave it, sometimes I don't. No matter what, it's better than anything I ever ate from Domino's or Pizza Hut. Cecil Whittakers in St. Louis, a local chain, makes a reasonable stl-style pizza--I personally like it better than Imo's, another local chain. For the best Stl-style, go to a family joint like Ponticello's in North County, Stephanina's or Saullo's in St Charles County.

Many places will also make you a pizza with mozzarella instead of provel, if you just ask.

Really great traditional pizza is kind of hard to find in St. Louis. From my college days, I remember Shakespeare's or G & D in Columbia. Those are real pizzas!

Fred Ferris
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 03/15/06 10:22 AM
Geez...I was just in St. Louis for the first time 2 weeks ago, and tried the pizza...ugh!..really awful...that cheese (Provel?) is all creamy and pungent...almost like cooked cream cheese...first went to a place in the Hill District (name escapes me)..touted by some national magazine (Gourmet perhaps?) in their ad to have one of the "Top Ten Pizzas IN THE WORLD"...had to try it and, whew....dreadful...was so dissapointed, threw rest out after only two pieces and want immediately to a place called IMO's...just as bad!.

Just an aside...LOVED that Hill District...reminded me of a little Brooklyn....plus the Boulard (is that it?)...district near downtown (similar in feel to Baltimore/Philly)...who knew St. Louis had such character...want to go back soon...

kopper
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 03/25/06 1:00 PM
Hey, I just posted about local pizza joints on my blog! Check it out:

www.stlouielouie.com/?p=33

Happy pizza-eating,
kopper

kopper
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 03/25/06 1:47 PM
BTW, Fortel's SUCKS. I just don't get that crap at all. Just because "the ovens are always on" doesn't make the pizza inside them any better. Way overrated.

Anyway, I'll reiterate what I wrote on my blog posting: Pizza-A-Go-Go, Vito's, Rigazzi's, Black Thorn/Lemmons, St. Louis Pizza & Wings, Pizzeria Della Piazza and The Neighborhood Pizza Parlor are all GREAT pizza (and yes I've eaten pizza in other cities). And yes, I, too love Imo's. Pizza World is also good. I've heard Dewey's in Kirkwood is great, but I haven't gotten out there yet (I'm a south city boy).

There's no reason why anyone should EVER eat at Pizza Slut or Papa Johnny-on-the-Spot's. Just like anything else, you've gotta dig deep to find the best stuff!

Links to some of these joints are on my blog post.

Later,
kopper

curried bluebonnet
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 04/12/06 11:55 PM
I was raised in St. Louis, though have lived away(OK &TX)since 1989--and every trip home requires the mandatory IMO's and Cecils. Because trips are usually not that long, the fact that you can get toasted ravs are a big plus as well. When I was pregnant I had such provel cheese cravings that I actually bought a block from the deli at Dierbergs--lasted quite a while in the freezer. Most may think it's not great pizza cheese, but to me it is a STL tradition. Those who can leisurely order an Imo's any night of the week feel lucky--all we have here just just north of Houston is the Dominos/Papa Johns,etc--

SarahSue
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 07/15/06 4:03 PM
I agree with you about the Pizza in Texas. I am a STL girl and lived in Dallas and Houston and the pizza is BAD! There was one place on Richmond that I could stomach, the name escapes me now. If you ever come to STL travel up to Florissant and head to BJ's. It is the best pizza I have ever had! Pironne's is a close second.

Shane
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 07/15/06 6:01 PM
I can't believe I grew up in St. Louis and never heard of Cecil Whittakers. Seems many have heard of it....
Can someone describe the pizza? Similar to Imo's? I actually worked at an Imo's in college, and while not great pizza, it does bring me home...

SarahSue
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sun, 07/16/06 12:39 AM
It is basically Imo's. They have a few pasta's, and good salads. They have better specials then anyone else.

Niagara
  • Total Posts : 983
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Mon, 07/17/06 2:01 PM
I got a pizza at one of the Imo's in Kansas City last week out of curiosity, since I had never tried "St. Louis style pizza", and I thought it sucked.

As a native New Yorker, I really like thin crust, but Imo's crust was riduculous - what do they use for it, a big matzoh cracker?
And that provel cheese? Please. It tastes way too funky to be used on pizza. I guess it must be something you have to have grown up with.

Sweeney, however. my 6 month old Westie, just loved Imo's. But he also likes to eat an occasional cat turd.

Riku The Surfer
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 07/19/06 9:30 PM
Imo's = God

No joke.

curried bluebonnet
  • Total Posts : 108
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Mon, 07/24/06 5:38 PM
Riku, I agree! We just returned from St. Louis and had that yummy old cracker crust pizza 3 of the 6 nights we were there--plus some toasted ravioli's. Nothin' better.

Sublime22
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Mon, 07/31/06 8:35 PM
Well there were some very good choices for pizza u put down . i definetly will try some of those suggestions. i wanted to tell u guy's some of my favorite .

Down Town there's Pepinos Pizza . It's thin crust style, but fresh homemade ingredents with a great pice . 205 n 14th (231-4500)

also ferraraz in soulard is probably the best new york style pizza I've tried . 10th and gyer. they have many choices and there pizza is choice and a cool atmosphere

palmadores on south grand is a 3 week old pizza joint .they have owned the bar next door for about 10 years . the cool thing about this place is u can sit in the bar and they bring the pizza to u . they have a great jukebox. just south of baits on grand.

peace

Jamun_55
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Fri, 08/4/06 4:04 PM
Pointers Pizza
(314) 644-2000
1023 S Big Bend Blvd
St Louis, MO 63117

I haven't tried the pizza there but have seen the show that you're talking about.

robfwoods
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Fri, 09/1/06 2:21 AM
Incredible that a town with a solid Italian tradition would have ever given birth to junk like Papa John's - the BIG question is how does it keep going?

But I'm afraid that I can answer my own question - when Domino's can succeed nation-wide - etc etc

I know Domino's uses also that HORRIBLE pre-baked cardboard for 'thin crust' -- do I recall correctly that PJ uses the same type of crud?

gatorbreath
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 09/2/06 4:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by robfwoods

Incredible that a town with a solid Italian tradition would have ever given birth to junk like Papa John's - the BIG question is how does it keep going?

But I'm afraid that I can answer my own question - when Domino's can succeed nation-wide - etc etc

I know Domino's uses also that HORRIBLE pre-baked cardboard for 'thin crust' -- do I recall correctly that PJ uses the same type of crud?

This thread seems as good a place as any to expound upon something I found to be quite interesting long ago, here, and everywhere else.

People disagree.

Some people like St. Louis style pizza and most people don't. Some people think we're fighting against terrorism in Iraq, most people don't. Here on the internet especially, you aren't going to change their minds with words. At least you shouldn't be able to, unless their argument is shallow enough to allow a change in thought. If that's the case, why are you arguing?
Regardless of your leanings on anything, when you enter the sphere of the internet, be sure of your facts. Do not relay or concoct misinformation. If you do initiate or propogate misinformation , admit it , and state your mistakes when proven otherwise. and redact any false statements you have made. You can edit your posts here.
With that in mind and this:
http://www.papajohns.com/pj_story/index.htm

How in the hell can you possibly invoke Saint Louis, Missouri, Papa Johns Pizza, St. Louis style pizza, John Schnatter, St. Louis' Italian heritage all in the same post? I don't mean to be mean, but I'm gonna be and I gotta ask where do you get this $*%^ from? Who's teachin' you? Where you learnin' your stuff? I gotta think it "ain't" the right places. I won't proceed with my next thought.

Oh yeah. and I just saw Olberman v. Rumsfeld. Teeth bared, often! And just so you don't feel individually vilified, Clapton was once equated to god... yeah... to that Riku dude, too... yeah.

And to anybody that wishes to punish Domino's for their current state let me remind them that in the past Domino's delivered. I'll go beyond that to say that at a certain point in my life, they sustained me. My work schedule was every other night and every other weekend. From 0500pm on Friday to 0800am Monday, I was "theirs". I couldn't do crap unless "they" knew where I was. I had to be in contact. We didn't have cell phones, we didn't have Blackberries, this was 30 years ago. We called Domino's and they delivered. They delivered luscious greasy pizzas that we savored. Who else was gonna deliver? This was middletown USA, literally!

Unfortunately, Dominos no longer delivers such succelent pies. I can't be a witness to it but I hear they now deliver "cow flops." That brings to mind the song "Dreams to Remember," (my version is Delbert McClinton though I'm sure there are many others). I'm bettin' Del has eaten Imo's and a whole lotta Dominos and he doesn't know the difference.

Mahalo
gb

robfwoods
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Sat, 09/2/06 4:58 PM
(Dick Cheney is no doubt bunkered down 567 meters underground with a newly discovered Clausewitz writing - so we needn't worry about him interloping here)

I have only lambasted Papa John - but by extrapolation and even interpolation - Papa John must say a lot about what St. Louisans are eating as far as pizza goes - because you can trip over Papa John's at every 3rd intersection)

Indeed my question was - does St. louis also have real pizza à la John's/Lombardi/Patsy's NY - New Haven/Wooster etc?

I have been forced to eat Papa John's enough times that liking their crud has nothing to do with taste - but everything to do with NO taste. I can well imagine there is a segment of the population that would eat ketchup poured onto some kind of bread shoe leather - with a few pepperoni slices tossed on and think it fine

I have also been forced to eat Domino's similar crap because there were no other places open in Butte, MT etc. But that certainly doesn't let me think this was 'pizza,' Rather it was just unpoisoned (with cyanide) 'biomass'

Similarly I suppose you may have nostalgia for Domino's keeping you alive - but - gees - wouldn't it have been possible to take a can of tuna fish and a can opener with you - it sure would have been tastier.

linpip
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 04/11/07 10:46 PM
quote:

Thanks

linpip
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Wed, 04/11/07 10:47 PM
quote:

Thanks

The restaurant is called Pointer's on Big Bend Boulevard at Clayton Road kind of located mid-County.

lucassal
  • Total Posts : 37
RE: Pizza in St. Louis - Thu, 05/3/07 9:55 PM
I just visited St. Louis in April 2007 and reconnected with a St. Louis pizza I really like. The restaurant is Ponticello's in North County--on Bellefontaine Road.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 78