Italian Wedding soup

Filet Mignon
2005/01/16 17:57:38
This is one of those commodities that I cannot seem to find in a restaurant that lives up to what Mom used to make. I am sure that she doctored her own recipe to accommodate my own tastes, as her soup had pieces of chicken in addition to the little meat balls.

My questions are two fold -- have you ever found a place that serves phenomenal Italian Wedding Soup? Or...can you help me come up with a way to make my own?

Here is my cooking caveat -- I can follow directions really well, but when I go off on my own, I get into trouble. I tried to make it once with a girlfriend who boiled the chicken and made the broth for me (I had butchered this on several occasions prior), but the end result was not nearly what I had hoped. I am not inclined to cook another chicken from scratch this way, but I purchased a product at the supermarket called "Better than Buillion." I would like to use this, a Publix rotisserie chicken, escarole, my own meatball recipe, orzo pastas, and grated romano cheese. To anyone who can take my ingredients and turn them into a workable recipe, I would be eternally grateful.

Steve
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/01/16 19:49:27
Steve,
Believe it or not, I've found that Progreso makes a canned version that will surely do. I ate mine straight out of the can without heating (I was busily working on something of dire importance) and it was excellent. The simple act of heating it would have done wonders, but I was too rushed to bother.
Try a can and see what you think.
Progressively, Non-Campbellite Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
P. S. The Campbellites are a split-off group of The Disciples Of Christ. The denomination is fairly common in three or four counties of South Alabama. What this has to do with soup is, of course, beyond my comprehension.
lamertz
Cheeseburger
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/01/16 20:08:55
Stevekoe,you already have the ingredients. Just don't add that better than bullion stuff. It's ull of MSG and other nasty stuff. Either cook your own chicken or use the Publix one and add your other ingredients. This is really an easy one-follow your nose on this. I think you can do it.If you are in a pinch the canned variey will do, but do yourself a favor and look up a good recipe or improvise for yourself. This is how you learn to cook!!!

lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/01/24 17:33:55
Italian Wedding Soup......one of the easiest and most fulfilling soups! I used to make it every day when I was the chef at Bambino's.
Step one: Take a whole chicken, put it in a pot, cover with water, add a little onion, carrot, celery and boil till done. Drain the stock into another pot. Pull the chicken meat off the bone. Set aside.

Step two: Make the polpitini (mini meatballs) and bake in the oven.

Step three: Wash and clean escarole and cut into bite-sized portions. Add the pulled chicken, the polpitini and the escarole into the chicken broth with some finely diced onion and carrot and simmer until the escarole is tender. Add several handfulls of Parmigiana cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

Step four: Ladle into a big bowl and enjoy!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/01/24 20:17:46
I ended up completing my mission last night, and I came pretty close to what you described, Lleechef. It was a lot easier than I thought -- who knew Mom made things look harder than they actually were -- she was milking it!

Made my broth exactly as you described, but as I kept adding "stuff", I did not seem to have enough broth. This was especially true after I added the orzo. So, the bulk of my stock came from the chicken, but I had to cheat a little to add some to the end. I used the grated romano/parmesan blend that they sell in the green can, and used a pepper blend and an italian garlic blend to flavor. The stock had vegetables, but not the final soup -- seemed like there was enough stuff happening in there.

I don't know that I will ever be able to duplicate this feat as I used "a little" of this and "some" of that -- just like Mom would have -- but this iteration turned out pretty OK.

Stevekoe
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/02/07 15:43:07
I've been hearing about Italian wedding soup lately and now I have a better idea of what it is. I may try it for my next soup making occasion, or, sorry, maybe I'll just try the canned version first and get an idea of what it is.
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/02/07 15:50:47
I can make a killer IWS, but I've no idea how, I just throw the ingeds. together and it always turns out great.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/02/07 18:28:21
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Steve,
Believe it or not, I've found that Progreso makes a canned version that will surely do. I ate mine straight out of the can without heating (I was busily working on something of dire importance) and it was excellent. The simple act of heating it would have done wonders, but I was too rushed to bother.
P. S. The Campbellites are a split-off group of The Disciples Of Christ. The denomination is fairly common in three or four counties of South Alabama. What this has to do with soup is, of course, beyond my comprehension.

Ort!!!

Cold soup (eaten out of the can?) Ha!!!!!! I love it! My favorites are Beef & Barley and also Bean with Bacon (both Campbell's). A question though? Is it that we are both akin in our frugal ways; OR, (aghast)... both from Georgia?????????
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/02/07 18:39:09
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Steve,

Ort!!!

Cold soup (eaten out of the can?) Ha!!!!!! I love it! My favorites are Beef & Barley and also Bean with Bacon (both Campbell's). A question though? Is it that we are both akin in our frugal ways; OR, (aghast)... both from Georgia?????????

You know....Ort's comment got lost in the shuffle with me on this thread. I have not seen the Progresso version, but I have had the Campbell's version. I tend to prefer heating mine up, though. They now sell it in in a pseudo-styrofoam looking thingy (technical term) that you can microwave straight up -- no bowl -- no mess -- I am there!

Steve
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/02/07 18:54:31
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:

quote:

Steve,

Ort!!!

You know....Ort's comment got lost in the shuffle with me on this thread. I have not seen the Progresso version, but I have had the Campbell's version. I tend to prefer heating mine up, though. They now sell it in in a pseudo-styrofoam looking thingy (technical term) that you can microwave straight up -- no bowl -- no mess -- I am there!

Steve

Well Steve;
Since you are "technically" south of Ort & I , I guess yore opinen couunts. I gues its a Georgia thang. 'Ya know, them "pseudo-styrofoam looking thingy(s)" never faired too well when I stuck them my engine compartment (aka next to exaust manifold) to warm up when I went 'huntin'. Boy, that was a MESS 2 clean up...
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/02/07 22:38:14
Yeah -- but you can have the smell of those "psuedo-styrofoam looking thingys" on the block for a few hundred miles, at least.....the gift that keeps on giving.
stricken_detective
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/03/10 21:11:38
Steve,

You have to COOK the orzo first. I use d'italini. One time my mother made it w/o cooking the noodle first, and her noodles sucked up all her broth. Disaster.

My recipe is a little different, but I want to try the one above. I use spinach, not escarole.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/03/10 22:25:32
Of course one can add or delete anything to a pot of soup.....but in classical Italian cookery, Wedding Soup has neither orzo nor ditilini and must have escarole. On the other hand, Italian lentil soup contains a few handfulls of fresh spinach stirred in at the end. Both soups must have copious handfulls of fresh Parmigiana at the end, gently stirred in when the heat is off. But yes, if you're going to add orzo or ditilini or any kind of pasta it must be COOKED FIRST or it will suck up all your broth.

Oh.....and Ort. can you please stop eating soup cold, out of the can?? Thank you. And my Italian Mother thanks you too.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/03/13 01:48:49
Yeah -- I got the pasta sucking up the broth thing.

Note to self for next time!

And...Mom's had orzo, so it is what I am accustomed to. I suppose real Italian Wedding Soup also does not have cut up chicken in it either -- Mom's did. It was her own concoction, I s'pose.

Steve
Rick F.
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/03/13 02:32:22
quote:
Originally posted by AdjudicatorCold soup (eaten out of the can?) Ha!!!!!! I love it! My favorites are Beef & Barley and also Bean with Bacon (both Campbell's). A question though? Is it that we are both akin in our frugal ways; OR, (aghast)... both from Georgia?????????
Pepper Pot is good that way, too. And I ain't fum Jawjuh, so I can be objective. We like it that way because it's convenient and fast, and the flavors aren't diluted by water. I drank some of that stuff many years ago, and rusted.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/03/13 08:25:08
quote:

quote:

Steve,

Ort!!!

The Progresso is one of my favorite canned soups (their name for it is Chickarina). I like Campbell's Bean with Bacon a lot too, but not cold & out of the can - too chewy.
Greyghost
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/07/20 16:46:40
lleechef;

Thanks for the recipe. It looks great, I must try it.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/07/21 03:03:40
Greyghost, you are very welcome! It's the way my Italian Nona always made it. Apparently when she was a child growing up in Italy, meat was a luxury, thus a lot of pasta, ravioli, risotto, polenta, etc. Weddings were special so there was meat in nearly every dish, including the soup.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: Italian Wedding soup 2005/07/22 08:17:09
I like the Campbells version of this soup. This thread has made me think about adding fresh parm. (can't spell) to it next time.

stevekoe - try low salt swanson's chicken broth or low salt bullion cubes.

Cathy