Broasted Chicken

Junior Burger
2005/01/22 17:01:03
I love broasted chicken and finally discoverd "Frank and Helens" on Olive Blvd. in St. Louis...it's excellent.

Just wondering if there are any other broasters in this area?
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/02/26 20:21:24
Is it true that to be called "broasted" the proprieter has to have a "broaster" machine purchased by a specific compnay and licensed in order to call it broasted?
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/02/27 07:42:10
carlton--its actually impossible to make broasted chicken without the cooker---a kind of combo steamer/deepfryer/pressure cooker---i worked in a place that used one of them,but i dont remember that their was a liscence and i think at the time it was patented so if you want to "broast" you had no choice but to buy the machine. I know the folks i worked for eventually retired and sold the place and the new owners dont broast chicken--dont know what happened to the machine but i imagine they sold it and i have seen them used at supply houses---cant imagine a company tracing down all the used machines over the years and "liscencing" all the buyers of used ones. I DO LNOW---we so;d A:OT of chicken!!!!---especially on Sundays--we were in a agricultural area of Northern Calif and the after churh crowd kept the place PACKED from about 11 to 2 every sunday with farm families! That broaster was filled and emptied as fast as we could serve it!
gatorbreath
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/02/27 08:27:25
Well, while off researching this topic, tiki beat me to the punch on one answer. There is a website for the company which holds the trademark which also has a registered restaurant locator by zip code. Range for the locator is 30 miles. Site is:

http://www.broaster.com/slocator.htm

My interest in this topic stems from having eaten "broasted" chicken many years ago in my hometown. This chicken was served by a local grocery chain as a side operation. Had very tasty broasted potato wedges too.
Did find one recipe for unregistered Broasted chicken which seemed to me could offer a reasonable facisimile. Link for the recipe is:

http://www.themediadrome.com/content/recipes/chicken_broasted.htm
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/06 10:16:07
You do have to use a broaster pressure fryer and their breadings to call it broasted,as was stated before,it is a trademarked brand.It really is just a marketing technique to make fried chicken sound more healthy and unique.The broaster just frys under pressure,just like the colonel did way back when he started frying in pressure cookers.I owned a chicken and rib place and we used Henny Penny pressure fryers and had a broaster pressure fryer also,but mainly used the Henny Pennys.What the pressure fryer does is fry under pressure which lets you fry bigger loads faster,typically in 12 minutes instead of 20,and holds the moisture in,while the outside still gets crispy.I sold the place about 6 years ago but still have the itch to open another one,I currently have 3 henny Penny's ,1 broaster,1 BKI,and a complete chester fried chicken setup ,plus everything else to open probably 2 complete places in storage waiting to be put into action(all bought after I sold my last place,some people collect stamps ,I collect restaurant equipment LoL!) if I ever get the psychotic notion to open up another chicken and rib place lol!
It is a great take out and delivery business though,we were so busy on Friday and Saturday nights,even with 3 delivery drivers plus myself helping out we could not keep up with deliveries.I do miss it sometimes.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/06 12:11:29
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Is it true that to be called "broasted" the proprieter has to have a "broaster" machine purchased by a specific compnay and licensed in order to call it broasted?

Ya, to use "Broasted", it is a trademarked name and process. You have to use their pressure cookers, marinades, breading and proper "large" sized chicken pcs. (not them little 3lb. fryers cut up).. Either way, the end product is tasty and filling! Glad the company has a set of rules to follow... So no matter where you go, you'll get the same tasting bird!
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/06 12:38:18
I'm sure they have requirements for the size chicken to use too,but the last time I had broasted chicken at a place that had all the broasted marketing banners and paper products the chicken was a skimpy 2 1/2 lb bird if it was that.The breasts were small.When I first started in the chicken and rib business I started with a 2 1/2lb bird since that is what my poultry supplier told me was the industry standard.They are a huge supplier that supplies to KFC,Popeyes,Chicken Galore,Chicken Delight and a bunch of small independents.I switched to a 3lb bird and it made a big difference in the breast and thigh size believe it or not,that 1/2lb made a big difference.I think KFC uses a 3lb or larger bird,their breasts seem larger than they were years ago.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/06 23:48:50
Anybody that happens to be stumbling through Western PA, after getting off a plane, go here for fantastic broasted chicken!! http://dining.wpgb.com/index.php?page=/restaurants/index.html&location=&rest_id=11442&affiliate_id=
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/15 13:22:26
There is much confusion about the term broasted chicken. All it really is is "pressure fried" chicken, which generally is one of the best ways to fry chicken IMHO. The Broaster Company of Beloit, Wisconsin is one of the big suppliers of equipment and supplies for pressure fried chicken and the chicken meals from the users of their equipment and products is called "broasted chicken." BUT there are so many different pressure frying cooking devices out there, including the commonly available Pressure Fryer (not Pressure Cooker), that all fried chicken using this type of equipment has been colloquially called "broasted chicken." I've been to many, many restaurants that have "broasted chicken" on the menu, but they have no connection whatsoever to the Broaster Company. Technically I think they are supposed to, but some just bought out another restaurant and got the equipment by some means, or have similar equipment from another manufacturer, and they may think it is easier to describe that kind of chicken on the menu as "broasted" instead of pressure fried. I'm sure the Broaster Company doesn't like it, but it is near impossible to police. And I'm uncertain legally if they can prevent someone from calling their pressure fried chicken, "broasted chicken," with a lower case "b".

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/15 17:33:02
This only seems off topic but as a younger man (30-35 years ago) I often stopped at what might have been Milwaukee's first Greek family restaurant. They served broasted pork ribs covered with a sickly sweet concoction they called Red Magic sauce. The sauce was bad but the ribs worked. Crunchy exterior with a tender interior. Has anyone else ever had broasted ribs?
markolenski
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/15 18:23:35
We have a new place in San Diego call Breadsticks and More that does a variation on the broasted chicken. The guy that owns it started the Oscars chain that was ruined by Sizzler when they bought it. He first cooks the chicken on a rotisserie then it is broasted. It is low in carbs and the skin is crisp.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/15 19:40:19
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Ya, to use "Broasted", it is a trademarked name and process. You have to use their pressure cookers, marinades, breading and proper "large" sized chicken pcs. (not them little 3lb. fryers cut up).. Either way, the end product is tasty and filling! Glad the company has a set of rules to follow... So no matter where you go, you'll get the same tasting bird!

Hmmmm.. There is a new place in town offering the "trademarked" broasted fried chicken. Sounds to me like chicken cooked in a "Henny-Penny" pressure fryer. I will have to get back with 'yall on this.

Sounds like the SOS to me, though. I hate fried chicken, anyway....
Maybe I won't be getting back to 'yall. We shall see.
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/16 03:37:23
Henny Penny,Broaster,collecctromatic(Winston),Mies,Hobart,Bki,they all pretty much cook the same.Chester Fried actually cooks with an open fryer,and if you sell Chester Fried chicken you have to sign an agreement that you will not use a pressure fryer.They claim it shrinks the chicken up and makes it more greasy,but I ahve never found that out to be a problem with a Henny Penny or a broaster fryer.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/16 06:34:17
FestivalFood, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this market. There used to, and maybe still is, a big Henny Penny factory in Eaton, OH. Is that where the broasters were made?
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/16 07:38:18
I'm not sure .I still have a couple of henny penny gas pressure fryers,that I bought after I sold my chicken and rib place(and a broaster,and a complete chester fried set up that I bought that went out of business )I usually used a Henny Penny distributor from PA.It's funny my fiance' and I were talking about selling all our chicken and rib equipment off since we are setting up 2 concession trailers that we bought,one for hotdogs hamburgers fries etc,and one for pizza(I used to own a piza place too!) But I still think down the road I want to open up another chicken and rib joint.I grew up eating that stuff with my family always ordering from Chicken Delight.My Chicken and rib place was a 2 hour drive each way from our house,everyday ,plus running a restaurant everyday,it was the only reason we sold it .It was a profitable place,crazy at times on busy friday and saturday nights with 90% of our business being deliveries,but I do miss it.
Right now we are thinking of moving in the next year or so.The little woman wants to move down south either the Carolinas or Florida to be closer to her family down there,and I want to move to a country place in the Catskills(I am a fly fishing nut!)So we are thinking maybe we could do the concession thing up here in te northeast in the spring ,summer and fall and do it down south in the winter(or just take the winter off!)So for now all my chicken and rib stuff sits in storage lol!
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/19 04:05:07

Hola!

My aunt and her late husband owned a tavern in a small town near Cedar Rapids Ia (Mahoney's Alburnette IA) that served broasted chicken and potato logs. This was a big seller for them. So, in my opinion, if you go to most any small bar in the Midwest, they should sell it.

I am from Memphis, and I have never seen "broasted chicken" in Memphis, or anywhere else in the South. I always thought people up north just called it "Broasted", while we call it "Fried". Broasted chicken is regional (Midwest) If you come to Dixie seeking Broasted chicken, you probably wont find it.

Senor
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/19 07:20:20
quote:
Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

Hola!

My aunt and her late husband owned a tavern in a small town near Cedar Rapids Ia (Mahoney's Alburnette IA) that served broasted chicken and potato logs. This was a big seller for them. So, in my opinion, if you go to most any small bar in the Midwest, they should sell it.

I am from Memphis, and I have never seen "broasted chicken" in Memphis, or anywhere else in the South. I always thought people up north just called it "Broasted", while we call it "Fried". Broasted chicken is regional (Midwest) If you come to Dixie seeking Broasted chicken, you probably wont find it.

Senor

Actually Senor, we have nine places in Knoxville alone that sell broasted chicken. I have attached the web site. You can go back to the locator page and enter your zip code and it will indicate that restaurants in your area.

Broasted chicken has been available in Knoxville for many years.

http://www.broaster.com/storeloc_results.asp

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2005/03/21 13:46:48
Sundancer, as usual, is correct. Broasted chicken is available all over The South, primarily in convenience stores.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/03/12 05:33:10
Stopped today in Forest Grove, Oregon, a small town 25 miles from Portland. A drive-in called Scotty's sells very good broasted chicken. A flavor divine.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/03/12 07:56:01
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

I'm sure the Broaster Company doesn't like it, but it is near impossible to police. And I'm uncertain legally if they can prevent someone from calling their pressure fried chicken, "broasted chicken," with a lower case "b".

I agree it would be tough to police but I really doubt a lower case "b" would save you from a lawsuit any more than trying to call your gas station texaco or your drive in sonic.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/03/12 09:49:22
"Broasted" style chicken is just a trademarked name for pressure frying foods. Henny Penny has a complete line of pressure friers:

http://www.hennypenny.com/index.html

This type of food (i.e. fried chicken) is most common down here in the south, as Paul mentioned earlier. Also, this is how Wendy's and Chic-Fil-A, among many others, cooks their chicken filet for sandwichs.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/03/12 17:31:00
There is a little restaurant in Old Forge, NY, that specializes in Broasted Chicken. It is called Randy's if anyone ever gets up that way.
When I lived there, it was only open in season.. April-October...
It USED to be great chicken. Been awhile, so I can't say how it would be now.'
I know it is still there, as I was there a year ago, but during winter time.
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/03/15 15:43:46
Thurmont Kountry Kitchen in Thurmont Md.has world class Broasted chicken,been written about in the Washington Post.

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/03/17 10:11:00
Anyone tried the Broasterie chicken. I saw it at the Broaster site. And, "Broaster", "Broasted", are they the same? I'm dying to try some of this stuff but nearest is 30 mi. from me.
Joe
Pogo
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/03/17 22:42:28
I used to live in Winter Park, Fl. in the early 80's. On hwy 50 going towards Cocoa Beach there was a small store that sold "Maryland Fried Chicken"...... It was so good, and reminded me of the old "Broasted" chicken I ate as a child at local drive-ins.

Does anyone know if this is considered "Broasted"? Or has anyone eaten "Maryland Fried Chicken"?
BTB
Cheeseburger
RE: Broasted Chicken 2006/04/07 13:15:34
While I'm thinking of it, let me mention some of the great restaurants for either "broasted" or pressure fried chicken that I visited within the last year or so. An Amish restaurant named Troyer's Dutch Heritage (http://www.troyersdutchheritage.com/) in Sarasota, Florida has some of the best broasted chicken on the planet, as well as other great foods, pies and bakery goods. It is a huge restaurant and you can always tell a great place by the number of tour buses parked in the back lot. Another good Amish restaurant down the street from Troyer's is Yoder's (http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/) and they serve some good pressure fried chicken, too (save room for some pie). Travelling up north, in Middlebury, Indiana is Das Dutchman Essenhaus (http://www.essenhaus.com/), which is another outstanding Amish restaurant that prepares delicious pressure fried chicken and Amish beef roasts, and also has a great bakery. Further north in the sleepy little town of Fennville, Michigan (don't blink your eyes or you'll miss the town) is a little country restaurant frequented by many farmers call the Blue Goose Cafe. Excellent soups and broasted chicken (using the real Broaster Company formula). There are some others, also, that I mentioned in the Best Chicken in Chicago thread.