Runza's Chili is duh bomb!

Junior Burger
2005/01/31 22:07:43
If you've ever driven thru the Nebraska area, ya gotta try the 'Runza' sandwich, which is cabbage, ground beef & spices baked in a bread loaf.

You've got to try their Chili, it's really pretty good! (It does have beans, so yea, it's duh 'bomb', ...
Red Green
Junior Burger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/05 22:09:00
Runza is good (Best onion rings!), will have to try their chili.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/09 13:53:53
Could we maybe get a recipe for that "runza" sandwich? Sounds good!
Joe
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/09 15:43:02
RUNZA

INGREDIENTS:

Bread dough (2 loaves)
1 lb Hamburger
1/2 Head cabbage (chopped)
1/2 Medium onion (chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:

Thaw two loaves of frozen bread dough or make the equivalent amount using your favorite bread recipe. While dough thaws, make the filling.
Brown the hamburger and drain, then return to pan. Add cabbage and onion and cook down. Salt and pepper to taste (1 tsp pepper recommended).

Let dough rise, then punch down and roll a portion to 1/4" thickness. Cut into 4" x 8" pieces and add about 1/2 cup meat mixture to each. Fold dough pieces over and seal the edges, then place seam-side-down on a greased cookie sheet.

Let rise 20-30 minutes, then bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until brown
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/09 16:21:50
If you want to see a picture of one...

http://www.runza.com/menu.htm
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/09 16:46:39
Does it cause the Runza's?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/09 17:03:36
I saw the picture. I also saw the picture of something they seemed to be calling chili. I don't know what it really is, but it sure isn't chili. It had beans floating around in it, for pity's sake.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 09:42:26
the Runza looks like a cross between a sloppy joe and a cheese steak.
could be good...I won't know for a long time. No plans to go to Nebraska. oh well.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 10:37:16
Thanks for the recipe Greymo! And for the link NebGuy! Looks great!

About those "special spices" any clue???

Michael, those beans just make it "chili stew" and it is officially OK to just call it chili for short, but only if you live north of the Red River!
Joe
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 10:55:16
Chili stew? I think not.
It's chili. Chili can have beans in it. Get over it. Chili can have pasta in it. Deal with that.

That's the beauty of regional cooking. There are "old school" places that think pizza with clams on it is an abberation. They are small minded and untravelled. Just as those who think chili isn't chili if there are beans. Or, maybe, they're just stubborn. Which isn't any better than being small minded, and probably worse than being untravelled.

( for me: I think I must be stubborn, because I allow myself to be sucked into this argument every single time. stoltezza! )

PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 11:19:45
L0L, yep Score, you let yourself get draged into this. At what point it does become "chili stew", like by adding all kinda of stuff (as suggested in the "weird things" post in the chili section) could be the subject for a new thread. Or maybe not, tooo controversial!

But, the search for the "special spices" in the Runza goes on.
Joe
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 11:35:06
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

But, the search for the "special spices" in the Runza goes on.
Joe

Too be honest I think salt and pepper might pretty well cover the so called "special spices". Might be more marketing than seasoning.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 12:57:22
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

... Oooh, that looks good. I love cabbage. Do they slice it, or cut it and eat it, or just shove it into your mouth like a sandwich?
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 13:19:17
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

... Oooh, that looks good. I love cabbage. Do they slice it, or cut it and eat it, or just shove it into your mouth like a sandwich?

You eat it like a sandwich.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/10 17:34:15
quote:

quote:

Shove in your mouth like a sandwich? welp, that does it Tara, so much for me asking you out to lunch.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 12:21:32
Awwww, come on.....
I can be a lady
Hey, as a matter of fact, I just took a frozen loaf of dough out to thaw to make a Runza. (thats how good it looked)
But I have some corned beef left over and am debating as to use the CB instead of ground..
It just seems this close to St.Pattys Day, a corned beef and cabbage Runza sounds tempting.
Scorereader: (check my post on unusual ff styles, also)
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 13:21:15
quote:

It just seems this close to St.Pattys Day, a corned beef and cabbage Runza sounds tempting.

Add a slice of swiss cheese maybe?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 17:53:17
Only yellow american, I am not too sure about that. First without, then with.
Maybe pepper jack....
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 19:14:30
quote:

quote:

Swiss cheese, change the cabbage to sauerkraut and add Thousand Island. A Runza like Reuben!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 19:47:08
I'll think I'll try making it with kim chee.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 22:08:58
quote:
Originally posted by Tastytoo

quote:

quote:

Swiss cheese, change the cabbage to sauerkraut and add Thousand Island. A Runza like Reuben!

I love Rubens!
Hmmmm..... that sounds good. the possibilities are endless.
See my post in the misc recipe for pics of my creation tonight.(sunday)
But Kim Chee is a little on the hot side for a whole "thing" like a Runza.... maybe a bit overpowering.....
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 22:51:52
I found runza's to be a little lacking in seasonings and there isn't much to add to cabbage other than salt and pepper. Now those are my taste's only and if I grew up eating them in Nebraska I probably wouldn't want any changes to my comfort foods. I feel the same way about Maid-Rites. My wife's mom makes them but calls them grötbruks (phonetic spelling). She lives in Michigan but grew up in a German speaking home in Milwaukee. I told a co-worker about them and he went home and made a Mexican seasoned version using venison. His entire family now wants more. The possibilities are endless really. I can't wait to see how those rubens turned out. Did you use a rye dough? I see a new chain-RoossyRubens R Us!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/12 22:56:23
Nah, I just used the regular frozen bread dough.. It was just kinda a hair up my butt, spur of the moment thing, since I had some leftover corned beef. I should have just made some sandwiches...

See the pics on the Misc form.. recipes and cooking techniques.
To me, it just looked kinda like a calzone with cb, cabbage and onions in it..LOL

Think I will leave the Runza's to Nebraska..
LOL
Rather make my famous Monkey bread with ham and swiss...(mind you, not with cinnamon and sugar and butter either..)
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/13 15:58:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

why hasn't anybody "invented" the ruben submarine sandwich?
this should be a no brainer, no?
Poopy
Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/13 16:03:51
Do they still have the Italian Runzas? When I was in high school I live a block from Runza and I would go there everday for lunch in the summer!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/13 16:09:55
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Because a Ruben would not be a ruben if it was a sub!
Tastytoo
Cheeseburger
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/13 16:28:47
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In my area, Chicago, there are at least three places that have reuben grinders. Bellacino's in Morton Grove and Wheeling, Eastern Style Pizza in Skokie and Chicago/Lincolnwood and Philly's Best in Evanston and Chicago.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/13 16:48:36
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

Because a Ruben would not be a ruben if it was a sub!

right, it would be a "reuben sub," which is different than a "reuben."
and it would be a delicious sub.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Runza's Chili is duh bomb! 2006/03/14 03:55:58
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just a month or so ago, My hang out in Maine, had a Rueben Sub on the menu and they always asked me, at last call. ahem.. I mean, when the kitchen was closing, did I want my usual.
Which was their Rueben Sub.....
""lips smacking here""..
Oh, I do miss some things about Maine....