fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's?

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7411
  • Reward points : 0
fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Wed, 02/2/05 12:06 PM
I'll be stopping by one of these two places for a Fajita on my trip in April. I will only have time for one and will definetely be one of these two restaurants. Which one has the better Fajita????

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Wed, 02/2/05 12:33 PM
Joe T. Garcia's is hard to beat for any Mexican food (unless you are going to San Antonia and can get to "Mi Tierra").

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Fri, 02/4/05 4:03 PM
It's been years since I was there, but I would go to Blue Mesa just for the sweet corn cake they serve. Luckily I have the recipe, and mine is just about as good.

wanderingjew
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Fri, 02/4/05 5:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by olphart

It's been years since I was there, but I would go to Blue Mesa just for the sweet corn cake they serve. Luckily I have the recipe, and mine is just about as good.

Thanks olphart, but my quest is for Fajitas and Fajita's only.

olphart
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Fri, 02/4/05 8:58 PM
I have eaten fajitas in countless restaurants, and none can compare to Pappasito’s. Now, it’s been at least 5 years since I ate at the Pappasito’s in Dallas, but the fajitas were wonderful there.

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Fri, 02/4/05 9:10 PM
Granted, this was 1995, but we LOVED the Blue Mesa Grill. Enough to go twice at the Dallas location. The fajitas were amazing...and I recall something very special about their salsa. I believe Blue Mesa is a small chain. WJ, I know how you feel about those! That might help you with your decision.

wanderingjew
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Fri, 02/4/05 9:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

I believe Blue Mesa is a small chain. WJ, I know how you feel about those! That might help you with your decision.

Stanpnepa, a small handful of restaurants confined to a Metro area is fine by me. If I recall someone referred to Giordano's in Chicago as a chain. Same thing, Giordano's is confined to the Chicago Metro area and may have one outlet in Florida to cater to misplaced retirees. Big difference between that and perhaps "Crapper Barrel" or "Taco Smell". Overall it's going to be a very tough decision, I wish I had an extra day in the DFW area.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3699
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Mon, 02/7/05 2:02 PM
A friend with whom I travel swears that the fajitas at Blue Mesa are the best he's ever had -- anywhere. Such that he convinced me to go there and order them knowing my overwhelming distate for all foods Mexican. I know they were tasty, but as I do not prefer this type of food myself, I don't know that I can compare them to others. But, if you are taking a poll, I would hit Blue Mesa. But, you likely wouldn't be disappointed in either, given the write ups of Garcia's.

The other option is to let geography be your guide. Are you staying closer to Ft Worth? If you are in Dallas, then Ft Worth can be a little bit of a hike, especially depending on time of day and all.

Me....I'd be at Sonny Bryan's! I ain't trading BBQ for Mexican any day I had the choice!

Steve

wanderingjew
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Mon, 02/7/05 2:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

A friend with whom I travel swears that the fajitas at Blue Mesa are the best he's ever had -- anywhere. Such that he convinced me to go there and order them knowing my overwhelming distate for all foods Mexican. I know they were tasty, but as I do not prefer this type of food myself, I don't know that I can compare them to others. But, if you are taking a poll, I would hit Blue Mesa. But, you likely wouldn't be disappointed in either, given the write ups of Garcia's.

The other option is to let geography be your guide. Are you staying closer to Ft Worth? If you are in Dallas, then Ft Worth can be a little bit of a hike, especially depending on time of day and all.

Me....I'd be at Sonny Bryan's! I ain't trading BBQ for Mexican any day I had the choice!

Steve

Steve, I have enough time for 3 meals in DFW not including breakfast, 1 for BBQ brisket and Sausage, 1 for Mexican and 1 for Chicken Fried Steak!!

The Travelin Man
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Mon, 02/7/05 3:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Steve, I have enough time for 3 meals in DFW not including breakfast, 1 for BBQ brisket and Sausage, 1 for Mexican and 1 for Chicken Fried Steak!!

I have a buddy getting married in July out in the DFW area. The only things I checked when I got the "save this date" card was:

a) Are the Rangers in town the same time? (even though I already have that stadium)
b) How many days do I need to get into town early to hit all of my favorite haunts -- including taking a friend out to Ponder for the steakhouse out that way for the first time.

I am even considering trying to "connect" (grab a Southwest flight for the rest) in Austin, and make my way down to Lockhart before heading to Dallas....or, I could just make the drive. In the meantime, I will just slather my own home grown 'Q in my Sonny Bryan's sauce, and bide the time with a trip to Syracuse in May for Dinosaur. Sometimes, you just gotta make do.

Steve

Tommy2dogs
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Mon, 02/7/05 7:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

Steve

Babes has the best CFS in the DFW area

Hotrodder
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Wed, 02/9/05 1:51 AM
I just got back from Dallas. I'd skip your choices and hit one of many many small Mexican places.. I can't count the number of good mom and pops down there.

Oh for breakfast you need to go to Barbecks <sp?> just for the beer bisquits!

Sonny Bryan's didn't do a thing for me. [|)]

The Travelin Man
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Thu, 02/10/05 1:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrodder

Sonny Bryan's didn't do a thing for me. [|)]

Just curious, but did you visit the original location or one of the newer locations? IMHO, the original place is the one that does smoking 'q the best.

Steve

Scott -- DFW
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Thu, 02/10/05 6:26 PM
Sonny Bryan's should be skipped. Though, so far as I know, no great barbecue can be found in Dallas, one can definitely do much better than Sonny Bryan's. Check out some of the reports (with photos) at the DallasFood.org web site to get some better ideas. (You might also want to check out the "visitors' information guide" there.)

As for fajitas, I wouldn't do Blue Mesa or Joe T. Garcia's (which has great atmosphere, but mediocre food). I'd probably go for the "sunset fajitas" at Mia's. (The "sunset sauce" that comes with it is a potent chipotle queso.) Most fajitas in this town are pretty fungible. The best places, for that dish, are down in the Valley.

If you're going to be in Fort Worth, consider going to Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana. Lanny Lancarte is the young, talented son of the current operators of Joe T's. He's a CIA grad who's worked with Rick Bayless in Chicago and Diane Kennedy. His family wanted him to come back to Joe T. Garcia's, but he didn't want to do Tex-Mex. So they gave him free reign. He opened his restaurant-within-a-restaurant in a room at Garcia's a little over a year ago, doing upscale Nueva Cocina tasting menus. And, I tell you, he's doing fantastic work. His is definitely the best restaurant in Fort Worth (in any category) and is competitive with the top tier of fine dining establishments in Dallas. For a meal report from Lanny's, with photos, check out the following link:
http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

Scott

Tommy2dogs
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Thu, 02/10/05 11:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Scott -- DFW

Sonny Bryan's should be skipped. Though, so far as I know, no great barbecue can be found in Dallas, one can definitely do much better than Sonny Bryan's. Check out some of the reports (with photos) at the DallasFood.org web site to get some better ideas. (You might also want to check out the "visitors' information guide" there.)

As for fajitas, I wouldn't do Blue Mesa or Joe T. Garcia's (which has great atmosphere, but mediocre food). I'd probably go for the "sunset fajitas" at Mia's. (The "sunset sauce" that comes with it is a potent chipotle queso.) Most fajitas in this town are pretty fungible. The best places, for that dish, are down in the Valley.

If you're going to be in Fort Worth, consider going to Lanny's Alta Cocina Mexicana. Lanny Lancarte is the young, talented son of the current operators of Joe T's. He's a CIA grad who's worked with Rick Bayless in Chicago and Diane Kennedy. His family wanted him to come back to Joe T. Garcia's, but he didn't want to do Tex-Mex. So they gave him free reign. He opened his restaurant-within-a-restaurant in a room at Garcia's a little over a year ago, doing upscale Nueva Cocina tasting menus. And, I tell you, he's doing fantastic work. His is definitely the best restaurant in Fort Worth (in any category) and is competitive with the top tier of fine dining establishments in Dallas. For a meal report from Lanny's, with photos, check out the following link:
http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3

Scott

This reminds me of the movie Dinner Rush where the owners son attends CIA and comes back to run the family Italian resturant. The owner still has his corner table, but has to send out to get Sausage & peppers.

olphart
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Sun, 02/27/05 6:34 PM
I was in Dallas this weekend, and I persuaded the family to do the brunch at Blue Mesa this morning. They all love it, so it didn’t take much persuading. It was my first time there in some 15 or more years, and it was just as delicious as I remember.

The brunch is $14.95, and that includes all beverages, even champagne! Most of the items were delicious, but I had mixed feelings on the beef fajitas. They were flavorful and tender, but they had a very ‘earthy” taste. Not sure what the seasoning was, but I could have done without it. But, it was good enough to go back for a second helping.

Just as I had hoped, the sweet corn cake was worth the trip. The cheese enchiladas were especially tasty, as was the guacamole. I have yet to fully digest the meal, and already I am making plans to go back to Dallas to eat there again!

LAteacher
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Fri, 06/10/05 11:17 PM
I'd put my vote in for Pappasito's. They are great, very fresh and flavorful. Luna di Noche has some great stuff, too. But even better is the Latin food at LaDuni's. Incredible!

Scott -- DFW
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Tue, 06/14/05 5:53 PM
In an earlier post, I mentioned Mia's fajitas as being superior to those under discussion (i.e., Blue Mesa and Joe T. Garcia's). I just wanted to update that by adding that one of the members of the family that runs the restaurant has departed and set up his own shop, Manny's Uptown Tex-Mex (on eastbound Lemmon Ave., just west of 75). Very good stuff. Manny also has a version of "sunset" fajitas (pictured below) that I heartily recommend.

For more details about this dish (and others) at Manny's, see the following link: http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=38 .

Scott

wanderingjew
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Tue, 06/14/05 6:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Scott -- DFW

In an earlier post, I mentioned Mia's fajitas as being superior to those under discussion (i.e., Blue Mesa and Joe T. Garcia's). I just wanted to update that by adding that one of the members of the family that runs the restaurant has departed and set up his own shop, Manny's Uptown Tex-Mex (on eastbound Lemmon Ave., just west of 75). Very good stuff. Manny also has a version of "sunset" fajitas (pictured below) that I heartily recommend.

For more details about this dish (and others) at Manny's, see the following link: http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=38 .

Scott

Scott, I took your advice and went to Mia's on my baseball trip back in April. Although the Fajita's did not wack me on the head and throw me into orgasmic bouts of extasy, it was definetely as enjoyable as other plates of fajitas I have experienced in the Southwest.

TexSkills
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Mon, 12/4/06 10:52 AM
If you want great fajitas, I would skip both Blue Mesa and Joe T.'s. There are many other great places in the D/FW area that serve better fajitas.

Joe T's, in my opinion, is nothing more than a touristy destination these days and their food lost its top notch appeal years ago.

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Mon, 12/4/06 4:16 PM
Texskills, give me some Mexican places near the airport, I have a layover there in a few weeks.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4900
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Mon, 12/4/06 5:02 PM
Skip Joe T's. It's nothing like it used to be. And, you will probably get tired of waiting in line along with all the other tourists.
Although, there are many others to choose from, Blue Mesa is a safe bet.
Sonny Bryans's BBQ is good-only at the ORIGINAL LOCATION on Inwood Road.
For me, the best BBQ in Dallas is, Baker's Ribs. Greenville Ave. location-only!
BTW, some of THE BEST Tex-Mex in Dallas is at some of the places on Maple Ave. (Hispanic neigborood). Especially, Rosita's.

planojim
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Tue, 12/5/06 9:49 AM
Herreras on Maple Ave is also good for Tex-Mex. Not too far from the airport by car. 15-20 minutes or so.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: fajita's - DFW- Blue Mesa Grill or Joe T Garcia's? - Tue, 12/5/06 10:27 AM
I know the Wanderer's question was to pick one of the two but... sounds like Blue Mesa is wining that race.

For a bit of nastalga, El Fenix downtown on Feild St. still makes the old time fajitas, the ones they made before the dish became so popular. They make the new kind on the sizzling platers also, but you can still order the origional recipe but you gotta ask. No sizzle but a geat dish. And, you are at the heart of where the whole Tex Mex thing started.
joe