Really great breakfast places - you rate'm

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 132
mrcocktail
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 02/6/05 12:13 PM
Me - I have but two to add to the list of great places

1.) Dotties True Blue Cafe - 522 Jones St, San Fran. I will say nothing. Just go and report back.

2.) Al's Breakfast 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis MN. Ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Now send your list.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 02/6/05 3:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mrcocktail

Me - I have but two to add to the list of great places

1.) Dotties True Blue Cafe - 522 Jones St, San Fran. I will say nothing. Just go and report back.

2.) Al's Breakfast 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis MN. Ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Now send your list.

Should I take it from your comment that Bob Dylan frequented the latter place?

I'm not great at breakfast places...it's my least favorite meal to eat out. I used to love a place called The Diner in Yountville, CA, but I hear it closed a while ago. In NYC, pretty much any diner is really good, I think. A lot of folks will tell you to head to Barney Greengrass in NYC, which I can't disagree with -- but, it's not my kind of food, so I can't personally comment.

My favorite local place is called Tal Bagels (on this site). Good bagels, great "appetizing" (chicken salad, tuna salad, lox, etc.)

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 02/6/05 4:37 PM
#1: Hell's Kitchen, 89 S. 10th Street www.hellskitcheninc.com
Not inexpensive, but worth it.
#2: Al's, Minneapolis, see above
#3 My house, we make very good breakfast, generally not open to the public, but exceptions could be made.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17828
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 02/6/05 5:06 PM
Well, I made some darned good huevos rancheros this morning.

BigJim
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 02/16/05 2:57 PM
I live here in Fresno Ca. and we have a place that just serves
breckfast and lunch, it is called Jus Joes. This guys food is sinful
it tastes so good. He has a special omlet that has 6-7 eggs in it
beside three or four kinds of meat and all the veggies in it. it is
a big meal in itself, but that isnt all that goes with it, like hash
browns and the some of the best biscuits and gravy you ever tasted.
It is woth it if you ever get around this area.

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 02/16/05 3:11 PM
in Tampa,you can't beat 'SUBWORLD'on Dale Mabre hwy(in North Tampa).great omelette's,sausage and divine home fries/hash browns,one man cooking operation.....friendly,down home and worth a stop anytime(his lunch's are wonderful as well)

rbpalmer
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 02/16/05 3:15 PM
My two favorite Roadfood-type breakfast places are Angelo's (love that homemade raisin toast) in Ann Arbor MI and The Frontier (gotta have that breakfast burrito with red chilies, the sweet roll and fresh squeezed OJ) in Albuquerque.

cbolado
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 02/16/05 3:49 PM
I rarely skip breakfast, although it’s not a meal I generally put too much effort into. Usually just some yogurt, cereal, and fruit, maybe pancakes on the weekends. But here are some Roadfood-type places I’ve enjoyed, in no particular order:

I’ll put another vote in for Barney Greengrass. I went there a couple weeks ago with some friends. My eggs and pastrami on a bagel was delicious, and my friend couldn’t stop raving about his sturgeon.

Tick Tock Diner in Clifton, NJ. Their motto is “eat heavy.” Prepare to do exactly that.

Valois “See your food”, Chicago, IL. There’s always a long line out the door in the mornings, but they move people along very quickly. Good omelettes and cheap prices that made University of Chicago students happy. This is mostly a sentimental nod to the greasy-spoon joint of my college years.

I know it’s a chain, but I like the Original Pancake House. I mean, they serve bacon waffles. Not a waffle with bacon on the side, but a waffle with bacon cooked inside. Genius.

Latin American Restaurant, Miami, FL. Eggs, bacon, hash browns, Cuban toast, and a café con leche, all for under $4. You can’t beat that.

Blue Heaven, Key West, FL. I attacked those pancakes with gusto. They even gave me pure maple syrup, which always earns points with me. Reasonable prices, and lots of character.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 02/16/05 3:52 PM
I don't think you can possibly beat The Shack in East Lyme, Connectict.

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 02/16/05 4:37 PM
Garykg6, Any idea of the exact address on Dale Mabry for Sub World. For me the hash browns or home fries are the most important ingredient. Was just in Tampa, now I'll have to wait til next year to try this place. It's not Sub Port is it, which a freind of mine owns and operates on west side of Dale Mabry at Bearss.

I did however have a terrific breakfast at Lenny's in Clearwater. Check out my comments on the Florida Roadfood Meet II thread. Sorry you couldn't meet us.

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Thu, 02/17/05 1:42 PM

Should I take it from your comment that Bob Dylan frequented the latter place?

Huh, never thought of Dylan. I thought of the Specials myself. Much better.

I have to add Mo's Midtown in Hartford, CT to the list. And Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe in Boston.

bam66
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Thu, 02/17/05 1:49 PM
Anyone know of some great breakfast joints in Arizona like the kind you find all over in California? I know of just a small handfull out here. We have a great variety of food in AZ, but two things we're weak on are great burger joints and great breakfast joints.
~Brian

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Thu, 02/17/05 2:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Garykg6, Any idea of the exact address on Dale Mabry for Sub World. For me the hash browns or home fries are the most important ingredient. Was just in Tampa, now I'll have to wait til next year to try this place. It's not Sub Port is it, which a freind of mine owns and operates on west side of Dale Mabry at Bearss.

According to the online yellow pages it is just north of Linebaugh Avenue about 3 miles south of your friend's place:

Sub World Restaurant
10051 North Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa, FL 33618
PH. (813) 961-0352

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Thu, 02/17/05 11:54 PM
Thanks 6star. I will give this place a try. Sub Port is at 14932 N. Dale Mabry. They serve a Jersey influenced sub, but the best thing about the place is the huge collection of Ocean Liner memorabilia.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 02/20/05 5:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigJim

I live here in Fresno Ca. and we have a place that just serves
breckfast and lunch, it is called Jus Joes. This guys food is sinful
it tastes so good. He has a special omlet that has 6-7 eggs in it
beside three or four kinds of meat and all the veggies in it. it is
a big meal in itself, but that isnt all that goes with it, like hash
browns and the some of the best biscuits and gravy you ever tasted.
It is woth it if you ever get around this area.

Wow, we have another person from Fresberg show up! Jennifer4 and I now have some company :) Welcome, BigJim!

Mike, 41 years at Cedar&Shields, now in Eastern WVa.

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 02/20/05 10:47 AM
SIGNMAN,it's on Dale Mabry just north of Busch Blvd,if coming from downtown,go north about a mile past Waters Ave,it will be in a strip mall that also contains Tampa bagels,Schlotkis...it will be on your right
Thanks for the offer,I would have loved to go but this is 'Easter Season',meaning,as a trumpet player,it's one show,service or production after another.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 03/1/05 1:41 AM
Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles: 1514 N. Gower St, Hollywood, CA (everything)

Nancy's Cafe: 9759 Arrow Route, Rancho Cucamonga, CA (The meat loaf and eggs is a GREAT brekkie)

Letty's Restaurant: 31455 State Highway 18, Lucerne Valley, CA (The pork chili verde omlette rulez)

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 03/1/05 2:36 AM
Though it's been 13 years, and don't know if the place exists anymore... My vote goes to Kolics Kitchen on the west side of Indianapolis. True roadfood style place. It's located on Oliver Street, off the beaten path, snuggled between a bunch of factories. Place was pretty boring looking on the inside. The walls where covered with autographed pictures of famous people Chef Kolic either had in the restaurant, or has catered (mainly country music).. But for 6 bucks, you'd get steak and eggs, american fries, biscuits and a coffee (free refills) which even then was a good deal! You never left hungry! The place would open at 5am, and by 6am, the 75 plus seats in the place would be filled... (Note: Everything was made from scratch here).....

Today, the closest breakfast spot to my house is the Forest Hills Inn (Grand Rapids Twp). Food is mediocre, spend 10 bucks and an hour or so later your hungry again... Then I found out that their Sausage gravy comes out of a can... yuk.... Also, eggs they use must be of the "small" grade...
All is not bad though... They have a pretty decent lunch there (just dont try to special order a burger... They screw it up everytime).. But dinners there are awesome!

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 03/16/05 7:19 PM
The House of Pies down the street from us has, by far, the worst pie I ever et! But they make a purddy durn good breakfast!

ctfrasier
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 03/16/05 9:52 PM
The two best breakfasts I've had in restaurants:
1. The Beacon on North Lamar Blvd in Oxford, MS. Thank God we asked a local where to have breakfast when we were in Oxford. Everything was good with the best potatoes ever!
2.Hermitage Cafe on Hermitage Ave in Nashville. This is the epitome of a greasy spoon but a Nashville landmark. A great place at 3am on Sunday morning or 8am on Sunday morning.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 03/16/05 10:16 PM
I never had a bad breakfast at Kitchen Little in Mystic Ct...and I have had many.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=618

WaffleHouserules
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Fri, 03/25/05 1:57 PM
National Coney Island here in detroit area. I can eat breakfast there for under $5. That is what I like. That place is always packed with customers, and the waitresses are nice. I like waffle house better but there is no waffle house up here.

MaxZook
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Fri, 03/25/05 3:31 PM
A few places that give the lie to the idea that you can't get a good breakfast in a big city (Los Angeles):
  • The Griddle Café http://www.thegriddlecafe.com, 7916 Sunset Blvd. @ Fairfax, Hollywood; (323) 874-0377. Humoungous portions at rock bottom prices [at least for LA]. "Saturday Morning Fever" pancakes with Bailey's and Kahlúa; chili and cheese omelettes. A portion of the price of the "Young At Heart" buttermilk pancakes with M & Ms and rainbow sprinkles, goes to benefit the Make A Wish foundation for people wishing for lower cholesterol . It's worth it on a weekday, but the lines are too long on Sat. and Sun.; if you're hungry enough to eat a single portion, you'll pass out from malnutrition before you can get a table. On weekends go down the street to:

• The Kokomo Café http://www.kokomocafe.com, Farmer's Market #120, 6333 W. 3rd St. @ Fairfax, L.A.; (323) 933-0773. Not as jammed on the weekends as it used to be. Great coffee; eggs sardou (Benedict with artichoke and spinach); red turkey hash.

• Marston's http://www.marstonsrestaurant.com, 151 East Walnut St., Pasadena; (626)796-2459. Another place that tends to get too crowded on the weekends, but worth it for cornflake French toast and smoked salmon omelettes.

• And my favorite L.A. breakfast joint: John O'Groats, 10516 W Pico (w. of Beverly Glen, near the Rancho Park golf course), Los Angeles; (310) 204-0692. Buckwheat pancakes, best biscuits in L.A., thick bacon, and the best oatmeal I have ever eaten in my life. A little more expensive than most of the places listed on Roadfood, but this is L.A....[|)]

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Fri, 03/25/05 4:03 PM
Bam66....I have three recommendations in Tempe, AZ; for great burgers, The Chuck Box on University, burgers done over open fire and you add your own toppings at your pleasure.....rustic and very good.

For breakfast Chompies, Jewish deli and great and Harlow's on University, really good and varied menu.

These were three of our favorite places while living there.

Donna

rainsux
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 03/27/05 1:03 PM
> National Coney Island here in detroit area

Consider: (Not a $5 breakfast, but damn fine eats)

Fly Trap in Ferndale: Woodward, just north of the theater.
Recipies in Troy: Crooks, just south of Big Beaver.

-doug

JDSpiedies
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 03/28/05 5:05 PM
The only place I have to tell you people about is Sonny's Blue Ben Diner in Bennington Vermont. You can read one of my previous posts from last year about the place.

• Total Posts : 222
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 03/28/05 6:05 PM
I wouldn't expect any readers here to venture this far from the coast of Maine, assuming you'd come this far north at all, but if you do, What's For Supper on Rt.2 in Norridgewock, ME has an outstanding breakfast buffet. The corned beef hash and baked beans are especially good.

Coaster Dog
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 03/30/05 11:57 AM
Lakeside Diner in Stamford (Off Long Ridge Rd) has always been a favorite for pancakes and fantastic egg sanwiches.

When I lived in New York we would go to La Florent in the Meat Packing district (Little W 12th) they would begin serving breakfast a 3:30 AM and catch to latenight crowd pouring out of the clubs + lots of restaurant empoyees would head there after work. Delicious eggs done a million ways. I recall they had the greatest house made corned beef hash.

In Milford I go to Pop's for a very good egg sandwich and my 3-year old orders a Belgian waffle bigger than his head.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9785
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 07/31/06 3:14 PM
I don't think any list of great breakfast places is complete without mention of Hob Nob Hill in San Diego. All of their food is exemplary, but their coffee cake and muffin of the day is what really sets them apart for me. You will also get great service and it has been there since 1944. When I was in San Diego in March for the World Baseball Classic, I ate there three days in a row. On the third day, my buddy decided to get up early enough to go with me. Truthfully, he doesn't understand my interest and pursuit of roadfood. He would much rather go to a Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel. But with all the baseball we saw and all the cool things we did on the trip, he said his breakfast at Hob Nob Hill was the highlight of the trip. Another convert!

Other favorite places that need mentioned are:

Maltby Cafe in Maltby, WA
Otis Cafe in Otis, OR
Juilleret's in Charlevoix, MI
Pancake Pantry in Nashville

josefinajoisey
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 07/31/06 3:37 PM
I also love Kitchen Little in Mystic. Driving from Jersey to Cape Cod, we time it so we can eat breakfast
there.
Also, the Colonial Diner in Lyndhurst, NJ, and the Downtown Diner in Lake Placid, NY.

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 07/31/06 3:41 PM
i can't believe i'm saying this but...
WAFFLEHOUSE

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 07/31/06 3:55 PM
Here in Ohio, we love Waffle House for breakfast, and Matthew's in West Jefferson, a little Mom and Pop type place. And we also like First Watch a lot as they are all so clean, bright and well maintained with good healthy meals. Their wait staff are all so cheerful and helpful which makes for a good eating experience, along with good food.

Donna

Michael Hoffman
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 07/31/06 4:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

WAFFLEHOUSE

Oh, you can't go wrong at Waffle House.

fhoran
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 07/31/06 4:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

WAFFLEHOUSE

Oh, you can't go wrong at Waffle House.

I've only eaten at one once, but after that I always believed that friends don't let friends eat at Waffle House. That was based on one bad experience however so maybe not sufficient evidence. Cracker Barrel however, is one of my favorites if I am travelling and can't find a good local place. Go figure. Fred

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 07/31/06 9:31 PM
Two of my favorites from my time in California, one in the Bay Area and the other in SoCal.

LeRoy's in Monrovia. Lines start early on Sunday morning for this unpretentious little diner. Big plates of eggs, pancakes, hashbrowns et al are what this place is famous for. Nothing elaborate, just great breakfasts.

Fat Apples formerly Fat Alberts in El Cerrito. More upscale with the standard breakfast fare of waffles, eggs, pastries, etc made from scratch with high quality ingredients. The also make some of the best pie in the East Bay.

One more that I just remembered. I use to get great chili omelettes at the Chino Airport on Sunday mornings. Who would have thought, good food at an airport.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/1/06 10:27 AM
In Mexico Beach Florida

Sharon's - It is a small locals place that is packed in the mornings.

I have never had a bad breakfast there, the waffles are thick and deelishus, the hash just a bit spicy, the omolettes huge and always GRITS.

In Panama City Florida

John Boy's Shoppe - the building looks like it was an old awful waffle/steak & waffle/huddle house. The building has seen better days but looks can be decieving as often is the case. Great portions, fast service, and Ghoulash that is out of this world. Open 24/7 great for those late nights/early mornings

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/1/06 11:27 AM
I agree that John O'Groats in LA is number one.

The Hash House on Decatur (not Hash House a go go) in Vegas is a tie for number one.

The Bijou Cafe in Portland, Oregon is right up there.

Sophie's Cosmic Cafe in Vancouver, BC is also right up there -- although it has been a few years.

I also enjoy Barksdale's in Memphis ... although it isn't anything like the first four. The guy at Barksdale's said his mantra is "It isn't grease until it hits the floor."

Nemis
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/1/06 12:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Here in Ohio, we love Waffle House for breakfast, and Matthew's in West Jefferson, a little Mom and Pop type place. And we also like First Watch a lot as they are all so clean, bright and well maintained with good healthy meals. Their wait staff are all so cheerful and helpful which makes for a good eating experience, along with good food.

Donna

We like Starliner Diner in Hilliard.
Best brk I have had on the road was Loveless Cafe in TN

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/1/06 3:59 PM
I love Waffle House but think Old Original Pancake House, Shoneys and Cracker Barrel are not only overpriced but overrated. Now let us proceed to the non-chains.

Coffee Cup in Charlotte even w/ all the changes is still wonderful for breakfast. Not recommended for lunch anymore, IMHO. King Tut Grill in Knoxville is also very good. The shrimp and grits at the Charleston Place hotel in Charleston is to die for. The Japanese breakfast at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station in NYC is super expensive and super good.

Now the greatest place on the planet for breakfast after a night of bar hopping is the Athens in Charlotte on the old Independance Blvd. Sit down to wonderful eggs, pancakes, homefries and the pimps bringing in their girls after a night's work. Breakfast AND entertainment, what more can you get? The pimps and girls know that the yuppies from Myers Park will be there, probably slightly intoxicated, but I have never seen a problem in the place. Everyone gets along very well. Great food, drunk yuppies, pimps, hookers, cops, nurses and doctors (three hospitals are close by)...a wonderful mix!

Two great bars are, well one now, were very close to the Athens. The Double Door and Diamond Jim's were the two bars.

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 08/7/06 5:22 PM

Originally posted by Tony Bad

I never had a bad breakfast at Kitchen Little in Mystic Ct...and I have had many.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=618
[/quote
Gotta agree with you Tony------------Kitchen Little "RULES" as they say!

Wandering Chew
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 08/7/06 7:06 PM
OK LA/So Cal members was really good bfreakfast place downtown- near then Bonaventure Hotel (black glass. round sections -looks like similar Hotel in Detroit)The Original Pantry?- I'm going back to grad school days in 79-80. Place in Farmers mkt was good- Nate and Als, Jurgesons?- all good eats.

In no particular Order:

Barney Greengrass
Ess-a-bagel
Zabars -to go
Sarabeths Kitchen
(all NYC)
Otis Cafe- Otis OR
Flying Biscut Cafe - Atlanta
Latin american Cafeteria, Miami
The Biltmore - Sunday Brunch- $$ but worth a splurge
In Chicago- with the pass out donut holes- Mitchells???
Beckys -Portland ME
Congdons (for donuts) Wells ME
Ponzio's- Cherry Hill NJ
Windsor Diner- "

BUT one of the best(buffet) breakfasts (which I love) I ever had was at the Sheraton Great Wall in Beijing, China.They had most styles of food you can think of- American, English, German, japanese, Dim Sum, etc etc- great bakery items- sticky buns, croissants and on.Cant wait to go again.

This could be another good topic- best breakfast buffets and best hotel Breakfasts?? Anyone

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Mon, 08/7/06 7:49 PM

See my trip report for this Past weekend.

I do recommend DILLARD HOUSE in Dillard,Georgia

roadrash
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/8/06 9:30 AM
Here's some of my favorites:

Sip & Bite - Fells Point (Baltimore), MD
Round the Clock Diner - York, PA
Matt's Big Breakfast - Phoenix, AZ
Kiss the Cook - Glendale, AZ

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1909
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/8/06 11:55 AM
Oh, how I would like to try them all, so I could see how my favorite, the Gold Star in Worcester Mass measures up

connemara
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/15/06 11:42 AM
Just had to post here, because I LOVE to eat out for breakfast!!

Best in Los Angeles: Brent's http://www.brentsdeli.com/

Best in Toronto: Over Easy http://www.toronto.com/shops_services/listing/000-156-533

Best Hotel Breakfast Buffet http://www.airtelplaza.com/van-nuys-restaurants.html

Wistah
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/15/06 1:02 PM
Some of the best local to me in central MA;

Britney's on Rte 20 in Northboro - awesome menu, home made hash browns to die for, Italian Fritatta sandwich is amazing

Jakes Coffee Shop in Marlboro - great omelette selection, good specials, and fantastic home made corned beef hash

Hooligans - a new place in Marlboro on the Northboro line, great menu, creative choices. They offer hash browns ala Waffle House, scattered, smothered, etc.

Wistah
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/15/06 1:06 PM
I meant to mention Carl's Oxford Diner in Oxford, MA...if you are REALLY hungry that is. An authentive diner that serves portions so huge that it is almost comical. A kielbasa, egg, and cheese sandwich = a whole 8" link of kielbasa on a regular size bun with egg and cheese. I asked the cook how many eggs go into an omelette and he answered..."well, anywhere from about six to about nine, depending on my mood"...

Not for the faint of stomach.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/15/06 7:08 PM
Bryant's
3965 Summer Ave
Memphis, TN 38122-5209
(901) 324-7494

Blue and White
1355 Highway 61 North, Tunica, MS
Tel: (662) 363-1371

PrettyKitties
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/15/06 8:03 PM
1. Al's Breakfast - Dinkytown Mn

2. Stella's Bakery - Billings Mt

3. Hell's Kitchen - Mpls Mn

4. Cowboy Breakfast Ride, Palmer Gulch Stables - near Rapid City SD

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/15/06 8:51 PM
George Webbs in and around the Milwaukee area...they have NEVER made my eggs wrong and we love the hashbrowns with cheese.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Wed, 08/16/06 12:59 AM
[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=116']Lasyone's[/url] is a must if you're anywhere near the area. I live in Natchitoches and can attest to the reviews' accuracy even now.

And fhoran, I like your style!
quote:
(Cracker Barrel however, is one of my favorites if I am travelling and can't find a good local place. Go figure. Fred)

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Thu, 08/17/06 6:30 PM
Flo's at the Chino Airport in Chino, CA

Johnson's Corner, right off I-25 at Exit 254 in Loveland, CO

sinkiller
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Fri, 08/18/06 4:42 PM
Nate n Al's, Beverly Hills

Beachside, La Quinta

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 08/20/06 12:49 AM
The Hancock Hotel and Bakery, Hancock, Vermont.
The Bear

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 08/20/06 2:17 AM
First, let me acknowledge that I've never been to Chicago icons Lou Mitchell's (DEFINITELY on the Big Ugly list due to it's location, 565 Jackson St, near where Route 66 begins), Richard Walker's, or Ann Sather's. My list is limited to Wisconsin.

I am the LAST person to knock George Webb's but there's only ONE place in SE Wisconsin for breakfast, and it's here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/photos/gallery/chi-071306kenosha-photogallery,1,899417.photogallery?coll=chi-photos-utl&index=2 (Also picture 3). You'll wait about 20 minutes if you're lucky, but Frank's garbage plate will make you extremely glad you did. You should get half a garbage plate the first time you go. Make sure and get the homemade bread on the side. If you run out of coffee, get up and get more, but you have to empty the pot serving everyone else who wants some. It's WAY off the beaten path on 58th St. between 5th and 6th Ave, and I wish I got my breakfast to go and headed for the lakefront, which is about half a mile away. The nearest thing to ambrosia you can get before 9 a.m. in my opinion. It used to be a railroad car, and has been sitting right where it is now for 80 years.

If you can't get off the beaten path, then Apple Holler has as good a breakfast buffet as I've ever eaten, but only on Saturday and Sunday. Get there about 10:30 and wait until they change to the lunch buffet and keep chowing. Apple Holler does a great lunch and supper, and have plays and magic shows that are worth the trip, and I'm gushing about a place just off the evil I, so it must be great. http://www.appleholler.com

steveindurham
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 08/27/06 10:51 PM
Current Cafeteria -Durham, NC

essemjay58
  • Total Posts : 134
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sun, 08/27/06 11:20 PM
I can't believe it took to the middle of the 2nd page for Lou Mitchell's in Chicago. A unique spot in an incredible eating town. Those double-yolk eggs, elbow to elbow with everyone, doughnut holes while waiting in line (which you will), great omelets (my wife had apples on hers!) It's the greatest!

spicoli
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/29/06 3:41 PM
Only been to Dottie's once, and I thought it was slightly overrated, too much flavorless cheese on my eggs. Then again, I may need to try it again sometime to see if that was just a fluke.

My personal favorite is Jo-ann's in S San Francisco. First found out about it from a 1992 copy of the print version of Roadfood. It's no longer on the site, but the egg dishes there are first rate.

Sonny Funzio
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Tue, 08/29/06 5:27 PM
There is a famous 11-seat restaurant in Montreal called "Cosmos" that is known for its breakfasts.
Cosmos, and it's owner Tony Koulakis

were the subject of a documentary a few years back.

Has anyone from the forum has ever been there? ... if so how was it?

(here's an article on the place ... http://www.theconcordian.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticlePrinterFriendly&uStory_id=bb1e3662-5583-4bbb-bd0d-376c767ec7f3 )

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Really great breakfast places - you rate'm - Sat, 09/2/06 11:25 PM
i know i posted this somewhere before
TowerGrille in Waterbury,Ct 3 eggs potatoes toast coffee $3.99

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 132