Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2979
2005/02/07 21:32:18 (permalink)

Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics

OK, I've written about this a few times. I'll try to be a little more in depth with this post.

First, and foremost, this is true ROADFOOD. You do not order this pitza and wait for it to bake and then sit down and eat it. You get it cold (room temperature) at the cash register of a gas station or convenience store, take it out to your car, start driving again, and eat it while you drive. It is not a hot, sloppy, cheesy melting pizza; it is cold, moist, soft pitza.

Here is where you can get it:

Crossing Pennsyvania on I-80 or I-81, or the NE extension of the PA Turnpike, I-476. Get off near Hazleton at any exit with a mini mart, and you will find this stuff (either Senapes or Longo's) selling as individual squares, cold, wrapped with plastic wrap. That would be, on I-80, either the White Haven (Rt 437), Mountain Top (Rt 309), or Conyngham (Rt 93) exits; on I-81 any of the 3 Hazleton exits; or on I-476, the White Haven exit (which is also the interchange with I-80).

Here is what you will see:

Here is what's inside:

What you see here are 3 edge slices and a pitza boat. On the slices, notice how the cheese is baked onto the edge of the crust too help harden it. The crust under the sauce is soft. That cheese is not a soft, mild mozzarella; it's a sharp cheese, like an aged provolone. It's a bit oily, but not greasy at all. The sauce is a little sweet but also has a salty tomato flavor. The pitza boat is almost like a pitza danish; here is what it looks like when cut:

Sometimes the upper layer of dough overlaps the sauce, on this one there's just a nice flavorful rope of sauce running down the middle. The crust on a pitza boat is soft all the way.

So, you eat these cold. It's roadfood on the run. For some reason, they don't get stale; rather they ripen and change, actually getting better (to a point) as the day goes on. These were purchased at 8AM this morning; they sat out all day, and I took the pictures (and then ate the slices) at 9PM. If you refrigerate them, they dry out in about half a day. But as they sit during the day, the oils come out of the cheese, the sauce cures a bit, the crust "stales up" a little, and the whole thing gets this wonderful aged flavor that I've never tasted anywhere else. To test and make sure that it hasn't been out too long, pick up a slice and bend it a little (parallel to the edge, the edge won't bend). If the crust is hard under the sauce, then the slice is past its prime. If it's still soft, then happy eatin'!

As I sit here typing, I can still smell the ripe cheese and sauce on my fingers. There's nothing like a slice of Senapes!

Tom

69 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/07 21:41:14 (permalink)
    Now thats a different twist on pizza.. Or should I say pitza. Sounds intresting!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/08 00:07:45 (permalink)
    LOOKS roadfoodable to me! I'd give it a shot!
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/08 00:21:58 (permalink)
    I've been to Sanape's and Jimmy's in Hazelton (been traveling I-81 for over 30 yrs a couple times a year), but never had the Pitza. I will definitely get some this spring when I stop for pastries and hotdogs in Hazelton.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/08 00:49:51 (permalink)
    If it means anything to you, my mouth was watering halfway through your description. I've never been over that way, but I guarantee I'll give this a try should the day ever come that I'm nearby.
    sunlinekids
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/10 14:03:11 (permalink)

hi,
    i saw your pictures of senapes and i wanted to eat the screen. i'm from drums. boy do i miss senapes. anyone who gets a xhance DON'T pass it up. wash her down with a farmer's ice tea. if anyone out there knows how to get senapes shipped out to phoenix please contact me. sunlinekids@cox.net. enjoy a piece for me. :)
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/16 23:16:55 (permalink)
    I just found out, the cheese is home-grated Romano.

Tom
    HWMCMM
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/25 13:17:28 (permalink)
    I'm willing to bet that I ate Senape's Pitza futher from Hazleton then any other person. My parents somehow arranged to have Senapes Pitza mailed to me on a firebase in VietNam in 1970. when I opened the package (3 boxes) most of the middle box were still slightly frozen. I invited the rest of the team to my bunker for Pitz and Aussie beer.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/25 15:03:15 (permalink)
    Mmmm...

I stop at the bakery for a box when I'm anywhere near Hazleton (two or three times a year). You can be tempted to save a buck buying "yesterday's pitza", and either way you can't go wrong.

It's very addictive stuff! Cheap and immediately gratifying!! And another reason why pizza freaks need to make at least one trip to Northeast PA in their lifetime. (See Old Forge Pizza posts on this site for more).
    Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/25 17:18:41 (permalink)
    Wow...this looks amazing..I'm especially intrigued because it's in Hazleton, a town I stumbled across a few years ago..really quaint old fashioned PA town on a hill..MUST try this next time I'm in the area...

A little off topic, but if ever there was a Roadfood type place, it's the Knotty Pine (also in Hazleton )...
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/26 18:07:03 (permalink)
    Oh jeez, the Pines. I work across the street.

Tom
    keef richards
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/26 20:59:07 (permalink)
    is hazelton near wilkesbarre? there was a place called the victory pig had same style pizza but served hot.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/27 09:48:27 (permalink)
    Same area. Victory Pig is completely different and tastes different. This is baked, fresh romano sharp tasting, and made with a pizza shell. VP is sweet, mozzarella and onions tasting, and is fried in a half inch of oil rather than baked. If anything they are polar opposites, taste wise. I'll go as far as to say I don't like VP and wouldn't even consider recommending it... but others simply adore it.

HWMCMM, that's a great story!

Tom
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/27 10:22:06 (permalink)
    Mosca, how is the Knotty Pine? It's been on my "hit list" for quite a while. The outside decor is peak Roadfood.

Victory Pig is commonly called "Polish Pizza" (not derogatory, there is a large Eastern European ancestry here). They are only open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights. The quality varies from amazing to just OK, you never know. It's expensive for NEPA pizza (I paid around $15 for a dozen "cuts" last year.) If you go, make sure you add a bit of salt to it...that makes a huge difference! The Pig has been around forever---and they have Curb Service! My mom remembers going as a little girl and she still orders Chocolate Milk with this pizza. There's a pharmacy across the street, buy Tums. Still, if you're curious, I'd recommend it. (Many small aircraft pilots fly into the Wyoming Valley Airport just down the road to take some home).

However, the best "Pig" style pizza IMHO is Pizza Perfect Carverton Road in Trucksville (off Rt. 309). It's ALWAYS reliable, not as greasy, open nearly every night). You can order without onions, but to me, that's what makes this pizza. If you want to totally clog up the arteries, split a dozen of wings while you're at it. They are pretty darn good. Expect to wait on weekends, especially Lenten Fridays.

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/02/27 15:23:15 (permalink)
    The Pine is curiously average. You wouldn't think so, by looking at it both inside and outside. Best bet is the homemade ham or turkey croquettes, when they have them, those are great. Otherwise, you get frozen burger patties, canned gravy, stuff like that.

The pies and sundaes are really good, though.

Tom
    HWMCMM
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/03/06 20:18:18 (permalink)
    If you are not 60 or so years old, you might not know that in the 50's "The Pines" was a great place to dance. The back room was actually at least 8" below what it is now. All the current hits, esp those played on Band Stand, (which by -the-way was in Philly)
    where on the jukebox. Also another place to dance was at the YWMC on Broad St on Wednesday night. HHS class of 57.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/03/09 12:39:21 (permalink)
    HWMCMM,

I work with Richie Molinaro; he filled me in on a lot of that stuff.

For those not from here, Richie was in a garage band that came <this close> to making it big in the mid '60s, Ognir and the Night People. They had a pretty big regional hit, "I Found A New Love". Good beat, you can dance to it, I give it an 84... just barely not quite good enough to break national.

Tom
    HWMCMM
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/03/09 14:18:27 (permalink)
    While in the service I was with a group that we formed at the service club in Ankara Turkey, called the 4-Notes. We entered a talent show sponsored by the military, placed 2nd & toured the military bases in Europe & Africa for the next 6 mo's. While in Frankford Germany, we cut a record but it remained low on the charts for about the next 3 months. So I guess you could say I had my time in the spot light. LOL
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/03/09 16:04:01 (permalink)
    A little too young to remember local 60's rock, but fascinated by the prospect of a local group almost making it big, I found Ognir and the Night People online. You can hear the song here...

http://www.davetherave.com/setlists/dave-xm004-setlist-20031213.htm

Good show too! Obscure 60's stuff and a wide variety. I knew about one-third of the songs.

Mosca, is that Richie singing?? I know his speaking voice from the Fairway Chevrolet commercials, but can't tell if he's on lead---sounds like he could be!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/03/09 21:24:04 (permalink)
    Yep Stan, that's him!

Tom
    shengah
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/04/03 11:13:38 (permalink)
    Thanks alot Tom! I was doing my best to block this pitza from my head so I could save myself 5 hrs of driving..Then you go and add the pictures..I'll be back soon
    joewhy
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/06/17 00:35:27 (permalink)
    great site for the only pitza in the world,I try to get to Hazelton
    every time I am coming thru Pa,anyone ever eat the hot pitz at Senaeps Bar,the toppings are amazing,if only they could figure out how to ship the stuff mmmmmm,has anyone ever shipped pitza from senaeps?Also some of the best breads from the bakery.
    HWMCMM
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/06/23 16:43:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joewhy

great site for the only pitza in the world,I try to get to Hazelton
    every time I am coming thru Pa,anyone ever eat the hot pitz at Senaeps Bar,the toppings are amazing,if only they could figure out how to ship the stuff mmmmmm,has anyone ever shipped pitza from senaeps?Also some of the best breads from the bakery.
    HWMCMM
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2005/11/08 15:51:44 (permalink)
    Sneape's is such a great Pitza that I can't stand on seeing it buried on the 2nd page. I can't wait till my 50th class reunion so I can once again enjoy it.
    Zerphey
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2006/01/23 15:38:07 (permalink)
    SENAPE'S PITZ IS THE BEST! As a child traveling from Mansfield, PA to Philadelphia for holidays, it was a family tradition to go through Hazelton and pick up multiple boxes of "Senape's" for our "city" relatives!

Now, living in the Williamsport/Montoursville area, it's even closed to Hazelton. On a warm, sunny day, there's nothing better than to pack up the ol' MB and make a trip to "Senape's" ....

Pitza
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2006/03/30 14:35:17 (permalink)
    Anybody willing to ship me a couple boxes of Pitza? I had family members do this in the past but they are all gone now. I will pay you 20 bucks for your time.

Com'om help a Hazleton born kid out???
    mlychock@yahoo.com
    Marsyada
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2006/04/12 12:07:04 (permalink)
    I have already sent senapes pizza from Pa. to Wa. and it arrived there okay.The recipient thanked me over and over again and is waiting for more
    halfday
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2006/04/14 13:29:10 (permalink)
    I was reading this post the other day and it made me crave this kind of pizza. I remembered seeing something like this for sale in the dairy department of my local Giant market. Sure enough they had this kind of pizza for sale! However it was from Longo's Bakery in Hazelton. Looked and tasted exactly like Senape's. It came in a box that contained 12 already cooked and cold pieces. My grandson and I ate all 12 pieces half cold and half hot. Not a bad deal for under $5.00. Woke up that night with heartburn but had rolaids handy.
    kyde
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2006/04/22 20:52:51 (permalink)
    Yum yum!! and the cold stuff you buy in the convenience store or supermarket is much much better than the bar pizza!!
    Janine329
    Junior Burger
    RE: Senape's Pitza, Hazleton (PA) style, with pics 2006/07/18 12:45:29 (permalink)
    Growing up me and my family went to Hazleton to stay with my Grandmother and visit with family a few times a year. Our first stop as soon as we got off the exit would be to visit Senape's Bakery. As soon as we got back into the car the box would be opened immediately and we all would be enjoying this delicious pitza.
    Next month I am taking my husband and daughters on vacation to Hazleton,PA. and our first stop off the exit will be Senape's Bakery.
    I have not been there in years and cannot get there fast enough.
    This pitza is truly one of my favorite things in life.
    Can't wait to get there.
    Janine from Fairfield, CT.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1