Banana's Foster someplace other than Brennan's?

Dolly
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Banana's Foster someplace other than Brennan's? - Mon, 05/12/03 11:33 PM
We are a family of 4 and will be traveling from Albuquerque to Austin to New Orleans and finally to Biloxi before turning around and heading home. My daughter has just made one request -- she wants Banana's Foster. Yes, we know Brennan's in New Orleans invented them, but we don't want to bring "dress up" clothes for one meal. If they don't want us in our jeans and shorts, we'd prefer to skip them. Does anyone know of any other place along our way that makes Banana's Foster? Any other restaurant suggestions along our way would be appreciated too.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Banana's Foster someplace other than Brennan's? - Tue, 05/13/03 12:25 AM
Dolly, in Austin, go to Eddie V's (specializing in fish) or Dan McKlusky's (steaks) for excellent Bananas Foster. Prices at both are not "cheap", but not outrageous. Since it's a special dinner for your daughter, both would be affordable.

In Austin, there is really no such thing as a "dress code". With the exception of perhaps a few restaurants you could count on one hand, NOBODY has to dress up here. I go to places where my self-imposed decorum forces me to wear khakis and a blue oxford, and there are people in shorts and t-shirts who fit in (right alongside people in suits). "Everybody is somebody" here in Austin, so you'll feel comfortable anywhere you go dressed in whatever you feel like wearing.

If you would like other recommendations for places here (I don't know your route or schedule), just click on "Bushie" to the left and send me an email.

Sounds like a fun trip. Happy Trails.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Banana's Foster someplace other than Brennan's? - Tue, 05/13/03 8:52 PM
Even though they are not the "original", Commander's Palace's Bananas Foster leaves Brennan's in the dust. Unfortunately, you are going to encounter a dress code anywhere you would want to eat this dessert in N.O. Pack 1 jacket and tie for each male and 1 dress for each female and just suck it up that one morning...it's worth it!

mousec
  • Total Posts : 298
RE: Banana's Foster someplace other than Brennan's? - Thu, 07/3/03 1:07 PM
If you are ever in Las Vegas (or Chicago) try the Banana's Foster at Mon Ami Gabi. They are a bit unconventional because they are served with crepes but they are awesome.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Banana's Foster someplace other than Brennan's? - Thu, 07/3/03 2:08 PM
Some of the other New Orleans restaurants owned by the Brennan family (Commanders Palace, the Palace Cafe on Canal street,Dickie Brennans Steakhouse among others) usually offer Bananas Foster, and the Palace Cafe and Dickie Brennan's aren't as particular about your dress as Commanders and Brennan's. At any of these, someone in your party should try the white chocolate bread pudding. It is sweeter than a Krispy Kreme donut!