Castleberry's Chili

Cheeseburger
2005/02/10 15:41:16
I know that canned chili is considered heresy by the "purists", but if it's good...... It's good.
I buy it in the institutional sized cans, very inexspensive.

And yes, I add ketchup to it.
corabeth
Cheeseburger
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 12:44:03
Pogo,

I use Castleberry chili to make my chili for hot dogs. I brown ground beef,drain the fat,add a small can of chili,a few squirts of catsup & simmer for 10 minutes. Everyone loves my hot dog chili sauce & no one knows my secret.

Also, I am from West Virginia & hot dogs always are topped with mustard,onions,chili, & cole slaw.
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 13:01:17
I've used Castleberry's as a hot dog condiment as well. I don't think of it much though as chili, even the canned variety. I have decided to eat Cincinnati style chili on dogs so I don't buy this version anymore.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 14:22:37
The Sundancer has used Knoxville based Houser's tube chile for better than 50 years. It is available at Food City for sure. It is in a dark red plastic tube and great with hot dogs.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
carlton pierre
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 14:29:52
Paul, I've heard you post about Houser's before, but I did not know it was made in Knoxville. I may have to try it as I try to support anything local. Thanks.
dreamzpainter
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 15:22:09
I'm not crazy about castleberrys chili, I prefer hormel and especially the new hot style but I usually use it as an additive to my own meat mixture.. I've also used wendy's chili the same way as well as the chili from my favorite local sammich shop LUBI's. I just like my chili meatier than most places make it
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 15:27:39
Is Casteleberry's more of a chile sauce than a real chili? Due to it extreme cheap price, I do not see how it could be real chili? Perhaps I am wrong but seems to me it is nothing more than a sauce that your pour over your dog?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rusty246
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 15:34:12
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Is Casteleberry's more of a chile sauce than a real chili? Due to it extreme cheap price, I do not see how it could be real chili? Perhaps I am wrong but seems to me it is nothing more than a sauce that your pour over your dog?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

They have chili AND a chili sauce. My family uses the chili sauce.
jeepguy
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/14 16:49:35
I like Castleberry's stuff. I usually bring home a big can of Brunswick stew and a couple cans of BBQ pork (with skins)[|)] from Pawleys SC when we're down. I truly have a cupboard full of regional canned goods. My friends think i'm insane.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/15 03:13:01
I made a post a few months back about trying Castleberrys Chili Sauce and that it turned more into a salty taste then anything else. I tried it again a few weeks ago in it was back to it's original flavor! Nothing fancy, I think it's nothing more then pureed beans, tomato sauce and some light spices added to it. A thin sauce once you heat it up. But in a pinch, for around 50 cents a can, you really cant beat it. Just a side note; I hear it's made in Ort's neck of the woods...
Pogo
Cheeseburger
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/16 14:52:09
I use only the CHILI, not the chili sauce.

Hmmmm, may have to see if there is another can on the shelf......
garykg6
Cheeseburger
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/16 15:21:56
My wife makes great chili and says "nothing could be easier"(I only put it on hot dogs anyway)....if I came home with canned chili of any brand I would be eating out a lot more,by request. I have tried most of these brands though(Castleberry,Hormel and Bush's),nothing to get me going,It's like eating chunky ketchup
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/18 03:35:19
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

My wife makes great chili and says "nothing could be easier"(I only put it on hot dogs anyway)....if I came home with canned chili of any brand I would be eating out a lot more,by request. I have tried most of these brands though(Castleberry,Hormel and Bush's),nothing to get me going,It's like eating chunky ketchup

Amen! But like I said in a post above, them canned chili's work in a pinch (especially when one is pressed for time)...
tybeeguy
Hamburger
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/02/18 07:25:54
Another good canned chili especially for hot dogs is Patterson's. This brand is found in some parts of the South but not available in others. Try it if you find it.
ken8038
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/03/25 14:57:08
I've tried Castleberry's and find it no better or no worse than Hormel's, for example. But what I find really off-putting is the picture of the chili on the can. The red beans look way too red and prominent, almost bloody. I know a picture on the label is supposed to entice you to buy the product, but the Castleberry's pic has the exact opposite effect. I move on down to the next brand on the shelf. --Ken

(This is not about whether or not to put beans in chili, just about the picture itself, I like beans in my chili.)
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: Castleberry's Chili 2005/04/08 11:47:15
The best canned chili I've found is called Chili Man. Its in a black can and I've only found it at a few places but I really like it. The extra hot version is the one I buy.