Best Hungarian in Chicago?????

Hamburger
2005/02/17 09:58:16
If you're into Hungarian food, or just wish to try something new & excitind, go to Paprikash at about 5200 w. Diversy in Chicago! You WON'T regret it! Has anyone else been???---James
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2005/02/22 10:45:48
JA -

I LOVE Hungarian food, have been learning to cook it since there is no such thing as Hungarian (or Eastern European) restaurant in these parts. Would like to roadtrip to place like Chicago to sample Hungarian, Polish, Russian restaurants. Have had some difficulty introducing Hungarian cuisine to Southern friends....
glennpan
Hamburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2005/02/22 10:52:57
I have been to Paprikosh and had a wonderful meal there. It is a smallish place that really gives a feel of home cooking. Although, I have not been there since the restaurant was sold last year. The early reviews since the new ownership have been less than stellar.

James, have you been there recently?

Glenn
JAHelgy
Hamburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2005/02/28 08:48:07
Unfortunately, they aren't as good as they used to be, HOWEVER, I still believe that they're sill better than the competition.

--James
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2007/06/12 14:59:44
Yes, yes on Paprikash. We really enjoyed it.
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2007/06/12 15:10:24
This place is a bonafided winner.
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2007/06/19 12:08:49
Hey, I'm confused. Did Paprikash close?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2007/06/19 13:09:34
We used to go Kennessey's downtown near the art museum. Is that still open? Besides great Hungarian food, you could buy a bottle of wine at their shop and for a reasonable fee, have it opened for you for imbibing while dining.
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2007/06/21 14:56:27
This showed up via Chowhound:
...Kennesey's (long gone) used to do the fried bread thing. He called it langoosh and served it up with his whipped cream cheese spreads (Lipataur?)...

So I guess it's "long gone."

Also, I called the Paprikash number and I think it said it was being worked on, but you sometimes get stuff like that in lieu of an actual disconnect. I can't figure out whether or not they've closed.
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Best Hungarian in Chicago????? 2007/06/21 15:10:55
This link might help you in your search. I've seen lots of discussion, and if you search for "Hungarian," you'll get some hits from a couple years ago that also go into Roumanian. Good luck.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/index.php