Helpful ReplyHot!Pork Tenderloins

Page: << < ..36373839 Showing page 39 of 39
Author
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2013/10/26 14:08:29 (permalink)
Sundancer7

Davydd

photog

kland01s

I have had tenderloins like that in Peoria, one place is called the Tenderloin Shack and I can't think of the name of the other one but it is in the downtown area near the Civic Center complex. The Culvers chain has a decent tenderloin. They are a small regional chain from Wisconsin that is now in the far west 'burbs of Chicago. You can also get great fried chees curds there!

Please, this is a "foodies" site. Don't recommend Culver's! Their pork tenderloins are a mere shadow of the ones available in Iowa!
There are some places in northern Indiana that you could try if that's closer.

The Culver's tenderloin is a true cut of pork meat and is a lot better than many of the processed pork fritters that can be found in many Iowa, Indiana and Illinois independent but cheap restaurants. Granted, Culver's is a chain and doesn't fit the definition of roadfood, but I see no need to deride them. If one thing, Culver's has become the ambassador spreading the idea of the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich beyond the Midwest borders and they have pretty much done it right.

I agree with DavyDD:  Culvers has stepped out of the traditional chain and has created burgers, fish and BPT beyound expectations.  That chain is the best of chains and I have never had a bad experience upon my visits with them.  I wish we had them in Tennessee.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
I just stopped at one in Franklin (near Nashville) last month. Would be quite a drive for you.

BPTSteve
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2014/01/23 14:10:00 (permalink)
Does anyone have any good recommendations in the western or south suburbs of Chicago for good BPT's?  New to the area so looking for ideas other than Culver's (pretty good) and a place I found this morning called the Dutch Inn West in Elgin Illinois.  I'll post a review of the Dutch, headed there in a couple hours.  Any help would be appreciated.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5099
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2014/01/23 15:02:10 (permalink)
Welcome, Steve!

Back at the start of page 37 Ezrydr posted about a place in Morris:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Pork-Tenderloins-m12576-p37.aspx

I can't remember if he listed any other BPTs so you might try the search function for his other posts.

So are you from Indiana or Iowa?
BPTSteve
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Pork Tenderloins 2014/01/23 17:01:34 (permalink)
I was born and raised in Southern Illinois, Streator-Ottawa area.  There was a place called Oogie's Family Root Beer Tree Drive-In, that was where I first fell in love with the breaded pork tenderloin.  I did see the post about the place in Morris and do plan to check it out.  I'm looking for Chicagoland suburbs, Morris is quite the drive.  I did try the bpt from Dutch Inn Elgin, it was good, large tenderloin cut in half and stacked on top of each other.  Normally served with cajun mayo, I had mine with onion, pickle, ketchup, and mustard.  Fries and cole slaw passable but nothing special.  I would, and will go back but hope I can find some more places in the area.
ezrydr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/01/24 09:00:28 (permalink)
I used to live in LaSalle county from the time I moved to Illinois (1977) until 1998. I remember Oogies. We used to frequent the one in Ottawa when the bars closed, being they were open 24 hours. Decent tenderloins-reminded me of a Polancic's (another local 'loin). What I REALLY liked about Oogies was their own home-made root beer. We would buy gallons of it to go & I don't even usually drink root beer! Now there's a bank where it used to be. I think I was at the one in Streator once or twice.

The place I was talking about in Morris was Lindey-Gerties. They USED to be in Ottawa back in the '90's. They were on Route 6 in the old Siverfrost Drive-In building. After I moved out to Grundy county I still used to drive to Ottawa for a tenderloin at LG's. Several years later, they actually moved to Morris, so now I have one once a week. They pound'em out right there & they're big as a pizza. If you get there, be sure to try the Special, as it comes with fries, a drink & their award-winning chili. Quite excellent. 

As far as up near Elgin I wouldn't know.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10284
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/03/25 20:02:25 (permalink)
Found this Recipe---Looks GOOD!
Bacon and Panko Crusted Pork Tenderloin Medallions
User Rating 5 Star Rating (1 Review)
By Diana Rattray

Bacon and Panko Crusted Tenderloin Medallions
Photo of Pork Tenderloin Medallions © Diana Rattray
These pork tenderloin medallions are quick and easy to prepare and cook, and they make delicious sandwiches! Or, serve with gravy or a mushroom sauce with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds pork tenderloin
  • 2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 5 slices cooked bacon, crisp
  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Preparation:
Trim excess fat from the tenderloin(s) and remove silver skin. Slice in 1-inch rounds. Using your hand or flat side of a meat tenderizer, gently flatten to about 1/2 inch thickness.
In a food processor, combine the panko crumbs, bacon, sage, and thyme. Process until the crumbs and bacon are fine and well blended. Pour into a large shallow bowl.
In another bowl, beat the eggs.
Sprinkle the pork slices lightly with salt and pepper. Put the pork slices in the egg mixture, coating all slices well. Remove a slice from egg mixture, letting excess drip off, and dip into the panko and bacon crumbs, coating both sides thoroughly. Place on a sheet of foil or on a pan and repeat with the remaining pork. Let pork stand for 10 minutes.
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until butter is foamy. Fry the pork slices for about 5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.
These make delicious sandwiches, but would be great with a gravy or sauce with potatoes, too.
Serves 4 to 6.

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/03/25 20:13:29 (permalink)
Sounds worth trying
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/06/24 16:47:33 (permalink)
Those of you in the central Indiana area will be happy to know that Hamilton County (just north of Indianapolis) is now sponsoring a "Tenderloin Trail". More information here:
http://www.visithamiltonc...loin-trail/what-is-it/
Planning to try a few of these spots as the summer progresses.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6379
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/06/24 20:21:43 (permalink)
I've been to quite a few of those restaurants since I home base at my sister's house in Carmel (Hamilton Co.) for the Indy 500.

Greensburg, Indiana is sponsoring a Tenderloin Throwdown July 19th. The information is here:

Tenderloin Throwdown

BTW, My latest round of tenderloins (quite a few in Iowa, Texas and Indiana) this past spring were included in a trip report found here:

2014 Spring RV Road Tour in Pursuit of the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/06/24 21:06:25 (permalink)
The Greensburg Party looks killer. And Stories there..wow, what a sandwich. But...Greensburg's greatest claim to culinary fame lies elsewhere (and I know this should be a new thread, but all ventures start somewhere).
Eat here. The only Authentic Indonesian Restaurant in several hundred miles in any direction. Eat here. I did last week. 150 miles round trip. Worth it. Will post in the Indonesian section of RF soon.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mayasari-indonesian-grill-greensburg-2

IndianaPete
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/06/29 21:42:04 (permalink)
Hamilton Country Tenderloin Trail  --
3 of these are on my Top 5 list -- Muldoon's, Nickel Plate, Sahm's.

yourlady98
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/08/15 01:03:43 (permalink)

Now this is one of the best tenderloins I have ever had, it is huge. Found at Smitty's tap in the small town of Leonore, Il
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/08/21 09:38:47 (permalink)
This print, also available as a postcard, is so appropriate for this thread.

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/08/21 11:26:00 (permalink)
A thing of beauty
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5099
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/08/31 12:05:26 (permalink)
About 10 days ago I stopped for lunch at J's Dairy Inn in Liberty, Indiana.  It's a family restaurant that's been around for well over 50 years and naturally there's a BPT on the menu.

I'm no BPT expert but I thought this one was pretty good.  There was a generous amount of crust and it was moist without being greasy, and the sesame seed bun was a nice touch.

These are "jo jos", batter-dipped and deep-fried potato wedges.  The name seems familiar but I think I've only seen it used in Indiana and Ohio.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/08/31 15:37:25 (permalink)
I think Jo-Jo's were a staple at Shakey's Pizza.
mhill95
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 191
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/08/31 15:47:15 (permalink)
Also found at some places serving "Broasted" Chicken.

mike
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/08/31 19:16:56 (permalink)
What you are calling Jo Jos in this thread are simply called potato wedges when ordered at Lee's Famous Recipe Chicken here in Cincinnati
gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/09/08 19:33:09 (permalink)
Main Street Bar and Grill. Monrovia, IN. 7 miles from my house. Looks nice, but not seasoned well. Tasty rings.

gregsgoatfarm
Hamburger
Re:Pork Tenderloins 2014/09/08 19:42:08 (permalink)
Southport Bar and Grill, Southport, IN
Pounded too thin. Too dry. Nice seasoning and breading. Enjoyable.

Page: << < ..36373839 Showing page 39 of 39
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1