Zantigo's

Fred Ferris
  • Total Posts : 153
  • Reward points : 0
Zantigo's - Thu, 03/3/05 5:14 PM
Does anyone out there remember the Mexican chain Zantigo's? As far as chains go, they were really outstanding (or maybe I was just a hungry college student with underdeveloped culinary taste). Still, I crave the memories.

There were several in Columbus Ohio during the 80s, but Taco Bell took them all over....do they even exist anymore?

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4482
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 03/3/05 9:35 PM
They're all gone.

They were well established in Cincinnati when the deal went down, and much better than Taco bell quality wise.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17819
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 03/3/05 9:53 PM
They were pretty darned good, I thought. They certainly beat Taco Bell -- at least in the Columbus area. But they didnt all turn into Taco Bell places. There's one former Zantigo on Hamilton Road in Whitehall that's a very good Gyro place -- King Gyros.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 03/3/05 10:17 PM
The one that was in Hamilton, OH has become several restaurants (chain and un-chain) since then. I liked Zantigo as well.

TJ Jackson
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 03/3/05 10:24 PM
In many cases in Cincinnati, the Zantigo's buildings were in better shape or in a slightly better location than the Taco Bell's nearby, so the old TBs were closed and business resumed in the old Zantigo locations.

Good example is the Surrey Square (Norwood) Taco Bell.

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 03/4/05 12:14 AM
The Newport (KY) Taco Bell was originally a Zantigo's. (And before that, a Sunoco.) They opened when I was working at the nearby Godfather's and several people I worked with left GF for Zantigo's. I was nearing the end of my fascination with fast food by then, and looking to get out completely. Zantigo's had Taco Bell beat in every way except backing. Taco Bell has Pepsico behind it. Zantigo had nothing. You can still get a little taste of Zantigo's though. IIRC, the Chillito (or Chilli Cheese Burrito,) was originally a Zantigo's product. Taco Bell only brought it along after many requests from old Zantigo's customers. (I may be wrong though.)

Fred Ferris
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 03/4/05 10:18 AM
Yeah...those Chillitos were great...and the tacos had two kinds of cheese. Taco Bell isn't even close...literally survived on Zantigo's and Sisters Chicken (also gone I guess) in college.

scarletfire
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 03/4/05 10:49 AM
I feel lucky guys! We have five in MN... http://www.zantigo.com/
I remember one where i grew up and eating there all the time until it turned into Taco Bell. I was soooo bummed! Then they came back! Chilito's ruled! The main difference I loved was that they use real cheese on the nacho's and they had enchilada's before any fast food i remembered! Plus, they season thier meat so much better than TB... Yum! i might go today!

TJ Jackson
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 03/4/05 10:55 AM
Well Wally, we can drive to Minnesota, or...err...not.

Fred Ferris
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 03/4/05 12:07 PM
Wow!! So Zantigo's lives...I can't believe it. Next time in MN, definitely will check it out again!

wesleyman
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Zantigo's - Mon, 03/21/05 12:51 PM
Zantigo was soo freaking amazing. God I miss Zantigo. For a while if you ordered the "chili cheese burrito" at Taco Bell with light chili and heavy cheese it almost ALMOSt tastes like a chilito.

Minnesota here I come!

GarBear
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Zantigo's - Tue, 05/3/05 11:42 PM
Ahhh...the Chilito!
I worked at the second Zapata(nee Zantigo) mexican american restaurant that opened in the fall of 1968 in St. Paul, Minnesota. The chilito was one hot selling item. You'd put a mixture of freshly shredded chedder and jack cheese on a fresh flour tortilla, add a scoop of red or green chili, fold it over and heat it in the burrito press, roll it up and serve it piping hot. Mummm, makes my mouth water thinking about them. Thank God they're brought it all back to life in the Twin Cities. They still use the same seasonings for their tacos, enchiladas, and chili as they did back in the 60's. Their menu makes fast food fun and tasty again.
Viva La Chilito! It's back to stay........

bellczar
RE: Zantigo's - Wed, 05/11/05 4:57 PM
The old Zantigo chain was owned by Kentucky Fried Chicken. When KFC was bought by Pepsi in 1986, they decided to close Zantigo since Pepsi already owned a taco chain, Taco Bell. So most Zantigo stores were converted to Taco Bell in 1987 or simply closed.

The Minneapolis-St. Paul chain Zapata started using the name Zantigo in 2001. According to that company, they are using recipes of the old Zantigo, but there is no way to know that for sure. Presumably Pepsi (and its successor YUM! Brands) would want to keep those out of the marketplace to avoid competition to Taco Bell.

Spinaltap
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Zantigo's - Sun, 05/15/05 8:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GarBear

Ahhh...the Chilito!
I worked at the second Zapata(nee Zantigo) mexican american restaurant that opened in the fall of 1968 in St. Paul, Minnesota. The chilito was one hot selling item. You'd put a mixture of freshly shredded chedder and jack cheese on a fresh flour tortilla, add a scoop of red or green chili, fold it over and heat it in the burrito press, roll it up and serve it piping hot. Mummm, makes my mouth water thinking about them. Thank God they're brought it all back to life in the Twin Cities. They still use the same seasonings for their tacos, enchiladas, and chili as they did back in the 60's. Their menu makes fast food fun and tasty again.
Viva La Chilito! It's back to stay........

My buddy and would visit Zantigo's (at all locations around Columbus, OH) all the time just for the chilitoes. We would buy 5 and a soda and that was dinner. Back in '85 life was grand!

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Zantigo's - Mon, 05/16/05 12:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Well Wally, we can drive to Minnesota, or...err...not.

I've done dumber things.

Rt66Mike
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Zantigo's - Wed, 08/3/05 11:23 PM
Mmm...Zantigo. I used to love their Chillitos. But, now, alas, the local former Zantigo location is now a discount Cigarettes & Beer joint. Unfortunately, around the St. Louis area, there isn't much choice for Mexican food, as only a few Del Tacos remain, in contrast to the probably 100 or so Taco Bells. At one point, we had in addition to Taco Bell: Naugles, Taco Tico, & Zantigo. The closest fast food mexican joint that isn't a Del Taco or TB is a Taco Johns located in a gas station about 85 miles from the Lou in Pittsfield, IL. If you look up Zantigo.com, you will see that they are still in business in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.

fredferris
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 08/5/05 11:45 AM
Hey, don't underestimate Del Taco....used to eat there a least once a week when living in Los Angeles...they are everywhere and, boy, is their food ever better than Taco Bell.

And while we're talking Taco Bell, their downfall occurred about 4 years ago when they started using a way too thickly grated cheese on their tacos...have no idea why they did this, as it's not nearly as appetizing as the delicatly thin cheese strands they once used (just as Del Taco still does)...totally ruins the taste

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 08/5/05 12:24 PM
I really enjoyed Zantigo, as far as a chain goes. I was particularly fond of the cheese chilito, the hot one.

TJ, I haven't been to Taco Bell on Beechmont since the changeover. I think I'm holding a grudge....

The site on Beechmont used to be a great little hamburger joint called The Golden Point.

Doug Hubbard
RE: Zantigo's - Sun, 08/20/06 3:42 PM
I was the general Manager for Zantigo Restaurants in Kingston and Belleville in the 80s
I loved their food
It was part of the H Salt and Zantigo chain
I was sent to Menphis Ten. for training
The stores were open for only 1 year in Canada
Loved the chain and wished it was still around

FoodMonger
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 08/25/06 1:54 AM
Zantigo's --- the one food I miss so much!

My first job during high school around fall of 1977 was at Steak 'n' Shake. But six weeks later I got sick of the all the disgusting grease from standing over the french fry cooker---I had enough zits already and didn't need to be taking a steam bath in french fry oil every day! Besides, those checked pants and bow ties they made us wear were so geeky.

So, when I heard they were opening the first location of a new mexican fast food place called Zantigo's near my home, I jumped at the chance. Besides, there were a couple of cute young women from my church youth group who were going to be working there, too, so I couldn't pass it up! :)

The managers were cool. The place was brand new and clean. And the food.... AWESOME!

Diablo Chili!
Taco Burritos!
Chilitos (especially the green Diablo)!
Chips n Cheese!

Even the refried beans were outstanding!

As someone else mentioned, the seasoning was just so much better than any other taco place's. I can still taste it all these years later... and I long for that food again!

My dad's dream was to be in Times Square for New Year's Eve. He got to do that. Some people want to go to Europe or Asia or elsewhere. Other people dream of taking their kids or grandkids to DisneyWorld (I've been there, done that, and it was great). But, for me, I dream of making a trek from St. Louis to Minnesota just to eat at the last best relative of a real Zantigo restaurant!

By the way... regarding Taco Bell's demise... it WAS when they changed to the thicker cheese (as mentioned above). As I recall, they brought out a line of modified products that were supposedly healthier, which had the thicker cheese (or a thicker low-fat cheese alternative, or something like that) and they also used different lower-fat tortilla's etc. That food was actually pretty good. But it didn't catch on with the porker public overall (of which I am one), and they dropped that specialty line, but at the same time kind of moved some of the stylistic changes to the regular full-on-fat versions of their products (which thicker cheese, a different tasting burrito shell, different spices on the taco meat, etc.). The old stuff was better.

TJ Jackson
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 08/25/06 9:07 AM
This thread needs to be moved to the FFF

Michael Hoffman
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 08/25/06 10:53 AM
You're kidding.

TJ Jackson
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 08/25/06 12:23 PM
Nope

jmckee
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 09/1/06 1:01 PM
quote:

Nope

Makes sense to me.

TJ Jackson
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 09/1/06 1:11 PM
Yeah, don't want to disturb the delicate sensibilities of the roadfood purists

jmckee
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 09/21/06 2:36 PM
quote:

Yeah, don't want to disturb the delicate sensibilities of the roadfood purists

"The price of purity is purists." -- Calvin Trillin

Pumbaa
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Zantigo's - Wed, 10/11/06 1:37 PM
I loved everything about Zantigos. I even loved the early '80's music they played in the late '80's. I ate their chilitos all the time.

"Nothing on the menu over 99 cents"

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 10/12/06 1:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rt66Mike

Mmm...Zantigo. I used to love their Chillitos. But, now, alas, the local former Zantigo location is now a discount Cigarettes & Beer joint. Unfortunately, around the St. Louis area, there isn't much choice for Mexican food, as only a few Del Tacos remain, in contrast to the probably 100 or so Taco Bells. At one point, we had in addition to Taco Bell: Naugles, Taco Tico, & Zantigo. The closest fast food mexican joint that isn't a Del Taco or TB is a Taco Johns located in a gas station about 85 miles from the Lou in Pittsfield, IL. If you look up Zantigo.com, you will see that they are still in business in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN area.

Get in your car and drive down to Mexican Villa in Springfield. You can thank me later.

Fred Ferris
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 10/27/06 4:47 PM
Never followed up on this thread I started many months ago..

Was on a business trip to Minneapolis and made it my mission to seek out Zantigos. The one I found bore no exterior resemblance to the ones I remember from Ohio....was in a strip mall/no drive through...plus a completely new logo....so I was skeptical..

But ahhhhhhhh...all doubts were dispelled upon my first bite into the first sloppy green chese chillito I'd eaten in 15 years....what memories...as the gooey lovliness oozed out the other end, I was immediately transported back to days a a semi-broke college student...
Proceeded to immediate devour a tremendous beef enchilda (red sauce exactly the same...tastes like what Shakey's used to put on their pizzas!....then enhaled the perfect taco with two kinds of cheeese (again, the same beef seasoning I remember to a T)..

So...is this high quality, authentic Mexican cuisine? No way! But who cares...if you've ever piled in the car in your jammies at 2 am just to satisfy your Big Z craving, you owe it to yourself to get to Zantigos if ever in the area!

grubadub
RE: Zantigo's - Wed, 01/10/07 7:17 PM
I had 100 chilitos shipped UPS from MN to Columbus, OH about a month ago. Worth every penny, about 2.50 per chilito after shipping.

smoker29
RE: Zantigo's - Sun, 01/14/07 9:37 AM
I was just googling Zantigo's and I came across your forum.

I LOVED Zantigo's so much it was my first job. I started at the Hamilton, Ohio Dixie Highway location in 1986 and one month later it was transformed into a Taco Bell. I was able to keep my job, but I always missed the food.

Everybody is spot on about the food being much better. I feel like taking a road trip now.

Thanks for the wonderful information.

zantigoNV
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Zantigo's - Sun, 06/3/07 8:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by FoodMonger

Zantigo's --- the one food I miss so much!

My first job during high school around fall of 1977 was at Steak 'n' Shake. But six weeks later I got sick of the all the disgusting grease from standing over the french fry cooker---I had enough zits already and didn't need to be taking a steam bath in french fry oil every day! Besides, those checked pants and bow ties they made us wear were so geeky.

So, when I heard they were opening the first location of a new mexican fast food place called Zantigo's near my home, I jumped at the chance. Besides, there were a couple of cute young women from my church youth group who were going to be working there, too, so I couldn't pass it up! :)

The managers were cool. The place was brand new and clean. And the food.... AWESOME!

Diablo Chili!
Taco Burritos!
Chilitos (especially the green Diablo)!
Chips n Cheese!

Even the refried beans were outstanding!

As someone else mentioned, the seasoning was just so much better than any other taco place's. I can still taste it all these years later... and I long for that food again!

My dad's dream was to be in Times Square for New Year's Eve. He got to do that. Some people want to go to Europe or Asia or elsewhere. Other people dream of taking their kids or grandkids to DisneyWorld (I've been there, done that, and it was great). But, for me, I dream of making a trek from St. Louis to Minnesota just to eat at the last best relative of a real Zantigo restaurant!

By the way... regarding Taco Bell's demise... it WAS when they changed to the thicker cheese (as mentioned above). As I recall, they brought out a line of modified products that were supposedly healthier, which had the thicker cheese (or a thicker low-fat cheese alternative, or something like that) and they also used different lower-fat tortilla's etc. That food was actually pretty good. But it didn't catch on with the porker public overall (of which I am one), and they dropped that specialty line, but at the same time kind of moved some of the stylistic changes to the regular full-on-fat versions of their products (which thicker cheese, a different tasting burrito shell, different spices on the taco meat, etc.). The old stuff was better.

zantigoNV
RE: Zantigo's - Sun, 06/3/07 8:16 PM
There are two restaurants I miss: Zantigos and God Fathers pizza. I remember the Zantigos at the Surrey Square location in Norwood...the location I frequented the most. There used to be a Taco Bell (formerly Zantigos) and a KFC. Now the buildings are gone with a combined Taco Bell and KFC. I really missed the food...tacos, bean burritos, taco burritos and nachos deluxes. I wish I had the recipes to make this stuff at home especially the spices in the meat so I can have zantigos again. I checked out the zantigos website menu but I don't remember taco burritos having beans in them but who cares cause that place rocked. Taco Bell will NEVER be what Zantigos was. I heard Pepsico had somehting to do with it...maybe I will quit drinking their products!

zantigoNV
RE: Zantigo's - Sun, 06/3/07 8:25 PM
Sorry bout ur quote foodmonger, I'm not trying to steal it. I am new at this site and somehow copied ur quote. I think I kinda figured it out but I can't change what I accidentally did. So I am apologizing in advance.

chilitobabe
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 06/29/07 10:35 PM
I used to work at the one on Broad Street in Whitehall. Was one of the openers for the one on Hamilton Rd by Eastland Mall, and helped open the one on 161 and Reynoldsburg. In fact, the Reynoldsburg location was put there due to a study I had to do for DECA, and Bob White and Gary (whatever his name was) liked all the work I put into it, that they put the restaurant one block from where I did all my studies! (I got an A on my project). I loved all of the food, helped create the Mexican Pizza that never made it on the menu, but those few who knew about it, got it from us. I still make the chips and cheese the Z way, and everything else, except the diablo sauce (God, I miss that so much). Anyway, viva la Zantigo, and when I do my country tour next year with my daughter, we will definitely check out the Zantigo's in Minnesota. PS. I so hated the uniforms, they itched, but loved the contests they had. We got extra benes for selling extra cheese and jalepenos. Oh, and the Gyro place in Whitehall? That was originally a Taco Bell, it was never a Zantigos.

sultan
RE: Zantigo's - Sat, 08/18/07 9:30 PM
they are indeed still alive and well up here in minneapolis, but someone had commented that the location they had visited was in a strip mall with no drive thru. I believe the one you are referring to is the one in Woodbury (a suburb of St Paul) but the next time you (or anyone else for that matter) visit here, the one you HAVE to go to is the one in Fridley (its on the northwest corner of University Ave and I-694...about 5 miles north of downtown). It is totally AUTHENTIC late 1970's/early 80's Zantigo. It's housed in an old Pizza Slut(Hut) building thats only about 5 blocks from where the original Fridley location used to be (rumour has it, the chiropractic office who currently owns the old location refused to sell it back to Zantigo because the owner complained that he spent weeks getting rid of the chilito smell that still lingered in the building after 25 years since it closed, and he didnt want it back! LOL) But still, the old building is still there in its former glory (its about 10 blocks north of the new location, near 65th and University on the service road to the right ((if you're heading northbound on University Ave)) Its hard to miss...there's a Chinese restaurant to the right of it, and a AA meeting center to the left. I imagine it was a popular place back in the 70's/80's if you were a Chinese-Mexcican American with alcohol problems...LOL...OK, that was bad...but still, if you are a nostalgic Zantigo nut, you might want to at least drive past the place.)

But as far as the "new" location is concerned, it does have a drive-thru, and even though its in an old Pizza Hut building, it has that classic 70's/80's fast food chain feel. It has the red vinyl wallpapper with fake wood panels and the tables and chairs are all from the original Pizza Hut....red formica and plastic tables. And even though the the drive-thru is convienient, you cant say you've been to Fridley without dining in there. They even have SPORKS!!!! (for the uninitiated, or for those born after 1984, sporks are a spook and fork all in one!! perfect for the classic enchilladas that only Zantigo can do). And oh yes, the chilitos. They're still there out in full force (i prefer the green, and apparently i'm not the only one). But if any of you ever travel up here, you got to see and eat in this place. Even if you choose the drive thru, at least come inside pretending that you need to use the restroom. CLASSIC!!!

Joliet Jimmy
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 01/3/08 12:38 PM
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS POSTED HERE RE: ZANTIGO RESTAURANTS. We used to have them here in the Chicago burbs back in the 1980's and I was addicted to their cheese chilitos. Thanks to all of you I discovered the new Zantigos in Minnesota where I occasionally work. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THE CHILITOS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME! The chilitos are mother's milk to me as I was weaned on them as a teenager. Chilitos were my favorite guilty pleasure back then and I had quite a few guilty pleasures like most folks do while growing up. It was devastating when the restaurant closed in Joliet Illinois around 1985. You can't believe how many friends place an order with me whenever I travel to MN for work - its hysterical! The additional cost for dry ice is a small price to pay to satisfy a Chilitos craving. Some of our local firemen take turns road tripping up to MN on a chilito run - I kid you not! Such road trips were common around here in the 1970's for Coors beer. At the time it was only brewed in Golden Colorado and sold strictly in the Southwest. Zantigo’s has that same kind of cult status. I hope the word continues to grow. I would love to see the restaurant chain grow and maybe get some of them closer to the Chicago area. Thanks to Zantigo’s, I actually look forward to working out of town. Thanks again to everyone on this post, it took a while but word finally spread to some of us cultists here in Illinois. Life is now good once again!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 01/3/08 4:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chilitobabe

I used to work at the one on Broad Street in Whitehall.

Oh, and the Gyro place in Whitehall? That was originally a Taco Bell, it was never a Zantigos.

The one on Broad Street is now The Mad Greek. I went by there a few minutes ago. And the King Gyro's on Hamilton Road was, indeed, a Zantigo. It was the first Zantigo I ever saw, and the first one I ever patronized. It later became a Taco Bell after Pepsico took over, and that was before it became King Gyro's.

a.m.impaired
RE: Zantigo's - Fri, 01/18/08 11:52 AM
Calling all posters that have been to this thread! I live in a suburb next to Fridley, MN and it IS the best. However, on nights like tonight, when it is -14 degrees and -40 wind chill, I don't want to go out!

I am looking for a copycat recipe for their green chili burritos, probably their simplest creation, but if anyone can help me, I would really be appreciative!!!!!!!

email me! lil_german_girl@hotmail.com w/subject: ZANTIGO'S (so I don't miss your email amongst all the spam).

angelinaballerina
RE: Zantigo's - Thu, 08/28/08 10:51 PM
This is going to sound weird, but I am actually loking for someone
who worked at zantigos in columbus, ohio on N. hight st. in the early 80's. I was just a teen and this guy and me became friends. I
have been trying to find Bill Mccargish for years. He was originally
from Dayton, ohio. He moved to Dayton, ohio when a Zantigos opened here. Does any one remember him. He was a "God" at zantigos in Columbus, he did everthing. If any ones knows what happened to him
I would love to know. I think he had 5 or more kids.It's funny I've
never forgotten the wonderful food I ate there and fixed. I did alot
o dishes mostly. Thanks for the help if any one knows where he is.

thanks
angie

icunurse
RE: Zantigo's - Mon, 10/20/08 8:25 PM
My husband and I were discussing Zantigo's chilito just yesterday! The Zantigo here in Middletown, OH closed it's doors in 1986 or 87. I'd much rather have Zantigo than Taco Bell anyday. We've been together since 1985 when we met in high school and we would often go eat at Zantigo where our friends worked. We too, miss Zantigo. I wish they would open a franchise somewhere remotely close to Cincinnati, OH. Taco Bell's Chili Cheese Burrito PALES in comparison to Zantigo's chilito. I do remember when Zantigo "closed their doors" that we went through Taco Bell and requested a "Chilito" and they had no idea what we were talking about. Needless to say, they still can't make anything close to the taste of the chilito.
Are there any recipes out there that are close to these longed for chilitos, if there are please let us all know.

icunurse
RE: Zantigo's - Mon, 10/20/08 8:28 PM
Zantigo does still exist.....in Minnesota.

GreenHorse
RE: Zantigo's - Sun, 12/7/08 6:14 PM
I was hungry and looking on line for a nearby tasty place to eat near downtown St. Paul when I stumbled upon this post. I do agree that most of the new Zants don't have the same atmosphere as the old ones (my favorite locale was in Minneapolis's Cedar Riverside area), the food is still great.

Hopefully the people at Zants are keeping and eye on this thread and start expanding again. Sounds like there's a built in market.

wfsaltshaker
RE: Zantigo's - Mon, 01/25/10 10:11 PM
My goodness, How I miss Zantigo's. The Hot Cheese Chilitos, Green Chili and Green Chili Buritos. I don't know how in the ---- Taco Bell is stii around and Zantigo's is gone. It's down right un-American I tell ya.

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
RE: Zantigo's - Tue, 01/26/10 2:16 PM
I somehow never heard of them?!
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Tue, 01/26/10 2:18 PM>

collinf
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Zantigo's - Wed, 01/27/10 10:51 AM
I remember Zantigo's from the Milwaukee area in the 70's.  Ricardo Montalban did their radio commercials.  They were preceeded by Zapata's.

R Sauer
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Zantigo's - Wed, 01/27/10 12:26 PM
NYPIzzaNut - Zantigo's was the bomb, as the kids say.  The fact that they largely didn't survive whilst Taco Bell continues to thrive is but another example of how inherently evil life is.

EliseW
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Zantigo's - Mon, 07/22/13 10:21 PM
I have been craving a chillito and chips n' cheese for weeks.  It's been on my mind for awhile so I decided to google Zantigo's.  I miss that place and liked it so much better than taco smell (bell).  I was amazed to see so many people thinking and craving the same thing.   Shame on PepsiCo........  Zantigo's is so much better.  I guess I need to take a road trip to MN.  It was like the restaurants disappeared overnight. 

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 505
Re:Zantigo's - Sat, 08/3/13 8:55 PM
Taco Bell originally called its chili cheese burrito a chilito but changed the name upon being informed that chilito was a slang term for a private part of a man's body. A small one at that.

True story.